User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because most handloaders tend to be lazy.  Their shit loads usually cause a lot of stoppages and failures while everyone else keeps on training.

If an instructor has to stop for "Special Snow Flakes" everyone else may have to wait on themn as well.
View Quote

Nonsense.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Other than extractor marks, you'd never be able to tell the difference between my reloads and factory, except they shoot better
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Your talking out of your ass

Quoted:
Because most handloaders tend to be lazy.  Their shit loads usually cause a lot of stoppages and failures while everyone else keeps on training.

If an instructor has to stop for "Special Snow Flakes" everyone else may have to wait on themn as well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:41:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh70/sjdm4211/20150801_133441_zpstnslgj9t.jpg" />

Sorry, my "bad primers" are actually high primers. It was my second batch of 50 and I must not have cleaned the primer pockets well enough or check the primer depth. I havent made that mistake or expierenced any malfunctions of any kind since.

As for the pistol malfunctions, perhaps I need to up the powder charge as someone suggested. Okay, so Hodgdon says the starting load should be 4.9gr. of WSF for 115gr. FMJs. So yeah I will do that from now on.
View Quote

If you're priming with a hand primer or on a single stage check the primer after you seat it with a quick swipe of a finger. If you're loading on a progressive it's a good idea to put your rounds in a box upside down and give it a glance.

The major MFGs have sensors that do this. We have to use what we have.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a single stage press. After I realized my mistake I started visually inspecting the primer pocket for any carbon. After re priming I rub my thumb across the head of the case before placing the case back in the reloading tray. Also a once over as I am wiping off the case lube. Its all time consuming but I havent had any issues since.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

To supplement this point, "train like you fight".

Are you going to use potentially unreliable ammo for self defense situations?  Probably not.

Have some respect for your time (in the class) and that of the instructor and your classmates.

Eliminate an easily avoidable potential training distraction by bringing good ammo with you.  IMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you going to use potentially unreliable ammo for self defense situations?  Probably not.

Have some respect for your time (in the class) and that of the instructor and your classmates.

Eliminate an easily avoidable potential training distraction by bringing good ammo with you.  IMO.

The ammunition I produce is better then factory.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Train with what you are going to fight with.
View Quote

You spend $1000+ just on ammo for your average training course?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh70/sjdm4211/20150801_133441_zpstnslgj9t.jpg" />

Sorry, my "bad primers" are actually high primers. It was my second batch of 50 and I must not have cleaned the primer pockets well enough or check the primer depth. I havent made that mistake or expierenced any malfunctions of any kind since.

As for the pistol malfunctions, perhaps I need to up the powder charge as someone suggested. Okay, so Hodgdon says the starting load should be 4.9gr. of WSF for 115gr. FMJs. So yeah I will do that from now on.

View Quote

I use WSF exclusively for 9mm. My pet load is 5.3 gr of WSF for 115gr and 4.8 of WSF for 124 gr. Been shooting these combos in IDPA and classes for over 10 years. It's a great powder.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, you'd be wise to post these issues on the reloading section and get the hell out of GD!

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, my class had a guy shoot his own reloads. He bragged how meticulous he reloaded.
He also had a ftf that turned out to be a squib load. Took barrel to range gun store to clear.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This

And neither of you are the OP.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/callgood/rangerT_zps2fmotdm4.jpg

or settle on a load that meters well, simulates your carry ammo and spend sufficient range time to ensure its reliability.

or marry rich.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/callgood/rangerT_zps2fmotdm4.jpg

or settle on a load that meters well, simulates your carry ammo and spend sufficient range time to ensure its reliability.

or marry rich.

I've used WW 9mm NATO for practice. To me it mimics duty rounds pretty well. Before panic it was only
a couple of dollars more a box.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ok you SAY that right after writing about ALL your failers....

Reloads are NOT ever NEVER more reliable than quality factory munitions.

"Snip"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:My reloads seem to be as or more reliable than factory ammo

Ok you SAY that right after writing about ALL your failers....

Reloads are NOT ever NEVER more reliable than quality factory munitions.

"Snip"

Crap...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't shoot factory ammo.

Like, ever.

View Quote

I don't know when the last time I bought factory ammo was.  Mine gets cranked out on a Dillon xl650.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Nobody wants a kaboom on their watch.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#18]
OP, where are you getting your load data from and how did you determine that those charge weights and OALs were what works best?  

There's nothing wrong with using reloads in a class once you spend the time to become a competent reloader.  Right now, I'd recommend you pick up a few manuals, spend time in the reloading forum, and improve your skill level.  Until then, use factory in classes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why are hand loads less reliable?

This is a false premise, if you are the hand loader.

I weigh each individual powder charge when I hand load.

I would 100% trust my hand loads for training and self defense.

I would not trust somebody else's hand loads because they are not me...
View Quote

Agree 100%. I don't mass produce ammo at home, I buy in bulk for stuff I want mass produced (223/9mm). My hand loads are absolutely reliable. They are each individually weighed and made in a single stage press. I don't reload for bulk quantity, I reload to make precision high performance ammo and because it's fun. Ymmv depending on your goals

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Everyone seems to use reloads at pistol comps.  We shoot an easy 2000 rounds a month each. A side from the rare bad primer my only prob was a bad mag follower.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

these posts were addressing the posters saying that all reloaders are lazy and all reloads are crap, and reloads CANNOT be as reliable as factory.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Because most handloaders tend to be lazy.  Their shit loads usually cause a lot of stoppages and failures while everyone else keeps on training.  If an instructor has to stop for "Special Snow Flakes" everyone else may have to wait on themn as well.
View Quote

Frankly, I don't think you know what you're talking about; but, what the hey, this is the Internet.  (Even worse, this is an Internet gun forum!)    

Quoted:
You sighted in the tourists rifles?  Really?  And, they let you?  

I guided elk, deer and sheep hunters here in the Rockies for nearly 20 years.  Worked for one outfitter mainly, but freelanced for most of the others in the Gunnison country, off and on, over the years.  Never heard of that.  Never did it.  Never even thought of it.  And, we prided ourselves on doing about everything for the hunters except carrying their rifles and wiping their asses.

OP, sorry for the derail.  No need to comment, RavenU.  It just struck me as very odd.  Back on track.
View Quote

I'm glad you got that off your chest!    

You know what else Pennsylvania's, 'hunting camp tourists' used to do?  If you were real nice to them they'd give you, at least, $50.00 before they left camp; and, back in those days, I really needed the money.  

Quoted:
View Quote

THAT is a wonderful IGF myth!    

I was trained a little bit different.  My instructors expected me to be able to fight effectively with whatever I was able to get my hands on - Period!  It truly - truly - doesn't matter to me what's inside the gun.  I shoot, and have always shot, everything in the same way.  I'm reading this thread; and (fortunately) only some of the comments make me wonder, 'Whatever happened to what we used to call, 'combat focus'?'*  

I'll tell you something else:  I've always had more ammunition problems with commercial Winchester, 'White Box'; and CCI, 'Blazers' than I've ever had with my own reloads.  I made very good (nice 'n shiny) ammunition.  I only stopped bringing it to matches when I realized that every time I opened one of my plastic 100-count boxes I attracted way too much attention with what was inside.  

The end result?  I use to, 'lose' a very high percentage of my fired cases - Even when I marked big red X's across the heads, they still, somehow, managed to quickly disappear!  So, one day, I finally got smart and began shooting only aluminum-cased, CCI, 'Blazers'.  Man, that was real, 'crap ammo'; but ...... I never lost another shiny brass case!    

'Train with what you are going to fight with.' is an amateurish remark.  'Train with what you've got.  Whether it's your weapon, the other guy's weapon, his ammo, or yours:  Use it, and use it well.'  

*  The kind of, 'hard focused attention' that you almost never read about on anybody's IGF.  The kind of, 'hard focused attention' that precludes all the pseudo-physiology about:  loss of fine motor control, tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, time compression, et al.  As far as this old gunman is concerned:  Anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about doesn't (really) know how to fight.  

For example:  Whoever heard of a Japanese Ninja warrior with, 'tunnel vision'; or a, 'loss of fine motor control'?  Once today's (presumed) autonomic combat responses are placed in a different socio-intellectual environment, they may quickly become as ridiculous as they really are; and, in fact, always have been!  As far as I'm concerned all of this excessively touted, modern-day, combat physiology is preposterously symptomatic of the same effete moral decadence from which the entire world presently suffers.  

(Everywhere it seems except, of course, inside the Levant!  There they still know how to fight; and THAT does concern me.)  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top