Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/31/2015 9:38:28 PM EDT
Now's your chance all of you GD'ers who love to scream "MOVE" when you see a Californian complain about tyrannical gun laws and pinko politics!

I closed a deal three months in the making and now have no traditional (income, business, etc.) reason to be here.  I already reside in NV for a good chunk of the year so it's an option to hop over the border full-time.  I'm also open to other states.  Which ones and why?

Now I know what you're thinking.... DON'T COME TO MAH FREE STATE AND TURN IT INTO KOMMIEFORNIA! WE DON'T WANT NO CARPETBAGGIN' UNION SYMPATHIZERS!

I assure you, aside from being willing to objectively discuss political policy and play the devil's advocate, I always vote for the guy that offers the most freedom, the least taxes, the most awesome gun laws (or better yet a lack thereof), and the smallest possible government and intrusion into the lives of citizens.  If there isn't one, I vote for the most conservative politics (yeah yeah, vote your conscience, we can argue about that in another thread).  So you can feel free to invite me to your state.  However, if your area has a chance of me getting loved tenderly by guys with banjos and bad teeth, I'll pass. I don't want some hillbilly to see my LV fanny pack and think "he's cute and stylish too!"

So where should I go?  I should be able to pick up a place to live in most places.  I love small town atmosphere but I need to be within range of civilization.  I need enough land to shoot and hunt on (fishing is a plus) but no restrictions or laws against doing so.

Suggestions appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Come to alabama. Cheap cost of living, and you'd probably be one of the smartest people here
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Why, Pennsy, of course!

Serially, Arizona is nice.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
canadia.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you, my parents once stayed a while on the coast while visiting with my sister's boyfriend when he was playing ball at UAB.  They loved it.  Definitely an option but humid right?

ETA:  Every place I've every been, there have been a LOT of people smarter than me.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Come to alabama. Cheap cost of living, and you'd probably be one of the smartest people here
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
You can take my place
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I said I wanted to LEAVE California, not go to the northern version of it....

Quoted:
canadia.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Pennsylvania, the west central to north part or around Pittsburgh. Trust me you'll love it here.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thank you, my parents once stayed a while on the coast while visiting with my sister's boyfriend when he was playing ball at UAB.  They loved it.  Definitely an option but humid right?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not bad, just carry an extra t shirt with you from may to september
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh God no!  The ONE place with shittier laws than CA!

I get TWO (count 'em, TWO) more rounds than you guys do!

Quoted:
You can take my place
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pennsylvania, the west central to north part or around Pittsburgh. Trust me you'll love it here.
View Quote

This man knows whereof he speaks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ETA:  Every place I've every been, there have been a LOT of people smarter than me.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, not much humidity here, lol.

Live near Lake Guntersville and fish to your heart's content. You won't be one of the smartest people in the state unless you invented a new form of rocket.

Btw, I was on the UAB football team. Do you remember the year the boyfriend was on the team?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#12]

I'm too delicate for that.

Quoted:

It's not bad, just carry an extra t shirt with you from may to september
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I guarantee that if you try Maine, you'll like it. Maine is not "the Northeast."
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Depending on what you like, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Utah or Wyoming might be good places to look into. All close enough to still visit folks and do stuff in Kommiefornia if you want.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
canadia.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Arizona or Colorado

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I hear New Jersey is nice
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Colville, WA
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh I know I won't be one of the smartest.  I never have been.  My luck, sense of timing, and when to make a deal is unimpeachable though.    I'd rather be lucky than good any day.  I can't remember who said that.

Anyway, it wasn't football, it was baseball.  I still have the fitted green cap he got me from the players stock!  She moved on to dating a pro ball player who shall remain nameless (no it's not a household name guy, rather a fairly well known long-time relief pitcher since someone will ask). That was back around 1997-8 if memory serves.

Quoted:

Live near Lake Guntersville and fish to your heart's content. You won't be one of the smartest people in the state unless you invented a new form of rocket.

Btw, I was on the UAB football team. Do you remember the year the boyfriend was on the team?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#20]
You told us how you will vote, but how will you act when your neighbor's pig pen is up against your fence and you smell them all summer long?  Or goats, how do you like that musk smell?  Or how about when you see him killing every dove he sees?

Those may be more telling than your voting record.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#21]
If I had to move it would be to Montana or Wyoming.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#22]
HELL

No.

Just.   No.

The phrase "out of the frying pan, into the fire" comes to mind.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Come to Florida.  You would probably be the sanest person here.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Stick to Nevada. Don't go to some humid, flat place.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Come to Florida.  You would probably be the sanest person here.
View Quote

You'll have that going for you down there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Pics of PA

Kinzua Dam

Pittsburgh

Nature

Lake right near where I live

Oh and we have like top 5 best gun laws, constitutional carry, open, no restrictions and we can own ffa rifles.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Kentucky!!.  We buy more guns per capita than any other state.  Blue Grass state is known for beautiful woman and fast horses, or is it the other way around.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Idaho is full
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Idaho has good laws, friendly people, and fairly inexpensive living. It's easy to find a nice place (even riverfront) with acreage and lots of open space, and still be close to a city. And it's all much cheaper than CA.

My family is getting ready to move there. Mostly retired cops or military, all pro-gun and pro-freedom. They'll fit in there better then here. I plan on joining them once I get my stuff in order.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Arizona.  Help keep it red.  I'd tell you to move here, but winters are rough.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Idaho is full
View Quote
Gunna get even more full

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#32]
North Dakota is nice

This time of year
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry, Texas has reached its limit of Californians.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

No North Dakota is best Dakota.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#35]
A little before my time there. I would still suggest Guntersville if you want to fish. You're close to a range that Remington uses to test prototypes and there are lots of places to hunt.

You can hunt with a suppressor here.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#36]
These are very good questions and all good factors to consider:

First, I need a piece of property large enough to hunt and fish on as well as shoot anytime.  I should be able to site the dwelling so that there's not much of a chance of being next to the dung-pile.  Still, my current neighbor in CA has 6 horses and 8 acres built like a combo horse show track and breeding farm so I am familiar with the wafting stench and how far it carries.  I can deal with it.  That's nature.  I certainly won't be calling the cops, the county supervisors, the zoning people, and my lawyer if that's what you mean.

My other neighbor has about 4 goats in a large pen.  She uses them to keep control of blackberry bushes and other nuisance plants.  I can stand on the West part of my land and see them about 300 yards away.  I don't think I've ever smelled them.  If I did, same answer as above.

I don't care what someone hunts or how many as long as it's not on my land, without permission.  That's their business, not mine.

Quoted:
You told us how you will vote, but how will you act when your neighbor's pig pen is up against your fence and you smell them all summer long?  Or goats, how do you like that musk smell?  Or how about when you see him killing every dove he sees?
Those may be more telling than your voting record.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Texas, the Hill Country NW of San Antonio is beautiful.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#38]
What is it that you people say?  "Bless your heart"?

I see your point though.  My ex-wife's lesbian, raging commie aunt moved there with her obscene 6 figure CA pension.  Wouldn't you want me to totally offset her?  I do have a mild drawl from being raised and taught to speak by grandparents that were from Oklahoma and North Texas.  Doesn't that count for something?

Quoted:
Sorry, Texas has reached its limit of Californians.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also property is cheap around me OP.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Full of what?  Oh I get it!  You're clever!

Tell me where you live and if I go there I'll make sure to be as far away as possible.  While I'm as conservative as they come 99% of the time, I don't want to be near too many people that refuse to use what little percentage of the brain is actually available to us.  It's... limiting.

Quoted:
Idaho is full
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Pennsylvania
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#43]
My fiance's father (career AF, B-52 pilot and AC commander and later flight instructor) lives there.  He's got a beautiful parcel overlooking the area.  What he paid for 5000 sq. feet of stonework and masonry house was mind-bogglingly low.  Where I'm at it would have been 2-2.5M.  However, I think it's good practice not to be too close to fathers, mothers, FIL's, MIL's.  

Quoted:
Texas, the Hill Country NW of San Antonio is beautiful.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Nevada.  Close enough to CA and its food, far enough away for no state income tax.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#45]
OH. HELL. YES.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pennsylvania
View Quote

Hammermill said something right!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

To leave...

Getting a CCL in PA is easier than Texas.

Just stay away from Philly
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Already there.  My current favorite thing about it (other than freedom, guns, nature, high desert, and cheap land) is the fireworks store at the Walker River Indian Reservation.  It's especially awesome around the 4th.  It's a few hours away but almost worth living in NV just for that!

Quoted:
Nevada.  Close enough to CA and its food, far enough away for no state income tax.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He wouldn't like it here anyway. We got snowed on this week. That white stuff will kill a bro instantly!

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Pennsylvania
View Quote

Hammermill post
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top