BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That car has a FOUR SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. I'm going to post that one more time so it sinks in a little better... That car has a FOUR SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

That says a lot about that car and the mindset behind designing it and bringing it to market. It also says something about the people that bought it brand new. More specifically, it says "I have no idea the car I bought has archaic equipment under the hood." Toyota also robbed museums and archaeology digs to equip some new models with drum brakes.

The only way I'd advocate the purchase of a late model Corolla for a non-fleet user is if they get an opportunity to buy one at a SIGNIFICANT discount.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is about what I would be getting if I were to get a Corolla

Having trouble linking

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=19702&endYear=2016&modelCode1=COROL&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=601599&startYear=2014&makeCode1=TOYOTA&firstRecord=26&searchRadius=100&maxPrice=15000&showcaseListingId=402770335&mmt=[TOYOTA[COROL[]][]]&listingId=406866049&Log=0

That car has a FOUR SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. I'm going to post that one more time so it sinks in a little better... That car has a FOUR SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

That says a lot about that car and the mindset behind designing it and bringing it to market. It also says something about the people that bought it brand new. More specifically, it says "I have no idea the car I bought has archaic equipment under the hood." Toyota also robbed museums and archaeology digs to equip some new models with drum brakes.

The only way I'd advocate the purchase of a late model Corolla for a non-fleet user is if they get an opportunity to buy one at a SIGNIFICANT discount.

It doesn't.  Only the base L model has a 4 speed auto.  Everything else has a cvt. (for an auto transmission)  Wouldn't matter though, since the 4 speed auto is better than the CVT. (for the non eco models without the more powerful engine)
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I was a bit disappointed with my daughters VW Jetta.  2006, had the 1.8 Turbo that grenaded when the timing belt broke at 88K miles.
View Quote

The new 1.8T has a timing chain

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If I go with the Mazda 3, should I get the current model or a model older like a 2012?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mazda all the way.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If I go with the Mazda 3, should I get the current model or a model older like a 2012?
View Quote

The current one. Not only will it have better resale value, but the current car is designed to accommodate the big new exhaust manifold. That's a big piece of the Skyactive puzzle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
VW
in that order.
View Quote

Yep, this guy speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

VW

in that order.

Why?

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
VW
in that order.

Why?

Because that is what he bought most likely.  I have a 2013 Jetta TDI as a company car.  There was an issue with the windshield wiper switch from the factory that was fixed under warranty but for the first 26k/2yrs, there have been no problems.  The vinyl seats aren't terrible, but cloth would be better.  The AC is damn near 70's American car standards, which is to say very good.  If you think you want the DCT transmission, test drive it first.  It is not an automatic.  There is a delay between pressing on the accelerator pedal and when you go and the delay varies.  This can be an issue when pulling into traffic when there is a lot of traffic and the openings are small.  I would prefer a manual, but I didn't have a say in it.

Someone else mentioned a Focus.  My rental in the UK was a pretty nice car, but may not be representative of the US model but it was pretty nice.  Not as nice as the 520d "estate" that they upgraded me to on the previous visit, but nice none the less.  The Corolla I had in Oklahoma was obviously the US model, and it sucked.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm surprised to see the Jetta have almost the same votes as the Corolla
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

i have a 2012 Mazda6.  get the current model.

not because there is anything wrong with the previous model, but because the new one is just that much better

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Isn't timing belt replacement interval 60K on those engines? Some older Italian cars had a service life of around 30K on timing belts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was a bit disappointed with my daughters VW Jetta.  2006, had the 1.8 Turbo that grenaded when the timing belt broke at 88K miles.
Isn't timing belt replacement interval 60K on those engines? Some older Italian cars had a service life of around 30K on timing belts.

That's usually about what it is.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could not tell you the replacement interval, but as pointed out above, if they now use a chain, it becomes irrelevant.  I've always had very good luck with Nissans in the family.  From Hardbodies to Frontiers, 2 Pathfinders, an Altima, 5 Maximas, and 3 Muranos.  However the price point of the Jettas do make it look attractive.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a Corolla in 2008. It was used with 22K already on the ticker. As I pulled in to work today, I noticed I'll hit the 170K mark on the way home. I've had the transmission serviced once, brakes once, 1 battery and 1 water pump. Oil changed every 8-10 and it has never skipped a beat. Might be better and prettier cars out there, but I'll be turning this one over to my daughter in a few years and fully expect 300K outta it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I almost bought a Jetta this year but the maintenance and replacement part costs turned me off. The test drive was fun though, I still want one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my Honda.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#17]
The 2014 and later Mazdas are great if you can fit it in your budget. Depending on the trim level and options they can get expensive.

The 2014 and later 3's are a significant improvement over prior models.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I could not tell you the replacement interval, but as pointed out above, if they now use a chain, it becomes irrelevant.  I've always had very good luck with Nissans in the family.  From Hardbodies to Frontiers, 2 Pathfinders, an Altima, 5 Maximas, and 3 Muranos.  However the price point of the Jettas do make it look attractive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chains can and do break.  They are usually out of warranty when it happens and cause a fair amount of damage.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Chains can and do break.  They are usually out of warranty when it happens and cause a fair amount of damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I honestly have not ever heard of someone breaking their timing chain but have heard numerous people and even myself have broken a timing belt.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#20]
After nearly 5 years of driving my '03 Civic SI I've learned to hate Honda. It has had one stupid problem after another. From broken door handle springs to a broken shift cable. And a shitty AC compressor design that grenades itself. Yeah, I know it's old but all that happened under 100k miles. The engine and transmission are solid, though, and it's easy enough to wrench on.

From all I've heard about the Mazda 3's reliability and driveability, I'd get that. If I wasn't set on an older 4 Runner for my next vehicle I'd seriously consider a Mazda.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

After nearly 5 years of driving my '03 Civic SI I've learned to hate Honda. It has had one stupid problem after another. From broken door handle springs to a broken shift cable. And a shitty AC compressor design that grenades itself. Yeah, I know it's old but all that happened under 100k miles. The engine and transmission are solid, though, and it's easy enough to wrench on.

From all I've heard about the Mazda 3's reliability and driveability, I'd get that. If I wasn't set on an older 4 Runner for my next vehicle I'd seriously consider a Mazda.
View Quote

I absolutely love my 4runner.

I am leaning towards the Mazda or the Jetta 1.8t right now.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Mazda is on a roll right now, and has been for at least a few years.

Great cars at the price points, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you own a truck already?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought my daughter a 2009 Mazda 5 door for HS graduation. She's still driving it. It has around 175K on it and has been rock solid. Great gas mileage. Zero mechanical problems. Runs like a scalded ass ape.

I would recommend it to anyone.
View Quote

How the heck is a high school/college student driving 30,000 miles a year? That is crazy high mileage!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Nissan Sentra SER or SR, if you do not want sporty.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have a 4runner. I really have no need for a truck at this time.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

For $17K and change you can get a brand new Honda Civic LX.

For $15K you can get a 2013 Civic LX with ~20,000 miles.

For $10K you can get a 2008 Civic LX with ~200,000 miles.

Those bitches hold their values and keep running.

Went buying yesterday and bought the new one.
View Quote

What made you go for the civic?

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Except if you get a 2006-2011 civic you will need a new ass.  Seriously, I will never understand why Honda made the suspension so firm.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Except if you get a 2006-2001 civic you will need a new ass.  Seriously, I will never understand why Honda made the suspension so firm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except if you get a 2006-2001 civic you will need a new ass.  Seriously, I will never understand why Honda made the suspension so firm.

Because it handles better. The Civic  has always been the best handling car in its class. The suspension also tends to last longer when they are firmed up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Because it handles better. The Civic  has always been the best handling car in its class. The suspension also tends to last longer when they are firmed up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The mazda 3 is comparable if not better with a less firm/harsh suspension.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My previous car was a 2009 Civic LX-S, and my current car is a 2014 Mazda3 Touring.

The Civics being built today aren't a whole lot different from my 2009. They're a little different cosmetically, and they switched from a 5 speed auto to a CVT, but that's about the bulk of it. I bought my Civic as a very low mileage used car in 2009, and it was my DD up until it was totaled in a car accident last month. I had a little over 100k on it at the time of the accident. I never had a single mechanical issue with the car. Even as I drove it away from the scene of the accident that totaled it, the check engine light didn't come on. It really hurt when the insurance adjuster told me it was totaled, and I still really miss it. Based on the experience I had with that car, I considered buying another. I wasn't really enthusiastic about the idea of buying a vehicle with a CVT, and the current generation seems to be only offered with grey or beige interiors. They're ho-hum, but I'd guess they're a solid choice if you're looking for solid transportation.

My experiences driving Mazda vehicles and the reviews I read and watched (a few dozen) all pointed towards the Mazda3. I rolled over to my local Mazda dealer to look at a few and go for a drive. They had 2014 leftovers of the Touring trim (the other trims sold better), and that's what I chose based on the pricing offered. The Mazda3 deserves all the positive reviews it's been getting. This car is one of the best handling front wheel drive cars I've ever driven.   It's precise around corners, and there isn't much roll. I was a little concerned about the electric power steering (I've driven some bad examples), but Mazda's system is pretty good. The weight changes with speed. It's very light and almost overboosted at parking lot speeds, but when you get rolling, it tightens up and is nicely weighted.  The seats are very good for a car of this class. The fabric is nice, and the bolsters provide plenty of support for cutting into curves and corners with enthusiasm.

I'm curious what you think of when you say the exterior bugs you. Are you thinking about the previous generation's smiley car, or the current generation's Kodo car?

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/awesome_mazda3_zps6cd9b850.jpghttp://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/image-1616/2014_mazda3_four-door_0.jpg

Volkswagen? VAG is only good when it ends in "ina."

Really, though, I'd only recommend VW to those with money to spend looking at TDi and GTI cars.

The Corolla should be a reliable car that gets the job done, but that's about where the good news ends. It's not a particularly competitive car by any metric, other that sales. The Toyota reputation is what sells it.

The only other advice I'd have is concerning your budget. At $15k, you're stopping just short of the price point for a new car, unless you get something like a Kia Forte or Chevy Cruze with markdowns. Give the choice between a certified used car with 30-50k miles for $15k and a brand new one for $18k, I'd take the brand new one. Knowing how it was broken in, driven, and maintained for that time is absolutely worth it.
View Quote

+1
My brother has an 08 Civic with 150K miles without any issues.
I have owned an Accord and TSX without any issues.
Honda is reliable and a decent car but out of those choices go for the Mazda.

Mazda is the drivers car in this class, is reported to be as reliable as the others and the one I recommend.

Also as suggested you’ll get a better value buying new.

Why don't you step up to a TSX, Accord or Mazda 6?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#35]
yes

yes

meh ok

FUCK NO
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The boy liked it and they're reliable as hell. The equal Camry was almost another two thousand dollars.

My only bitch is that the seat is low.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What made you go for the civic?

The boy liked it and they're reliable as hell. The equal Camry was almost another two thousand dollars.

My only bitch is that the seat is low.

The seat height is adjustable.  Forward lever on the left of the driver seat.  Pump up to raise, pump down to lower.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#37]
While the jetta really isn't a bad commuter, it is a bit more pedestrian and uninspired then previous generations... its been dulled down for the US market.

So get this.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#38]
TDI?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone have a newer TDI?
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Because it handles better. The Civic has always been the best handling car in its class. The suspension also tends to last longer when they are firmed up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it handles better. The Civic has always been the best handling car in its class. The suspension also tends to last longer when they are firmed up.

LOL.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a newer TDI?
View Quote

I have a 2013 with ~27k miles on it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top