Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 73
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It has everything... social commentary without beating you over the head with it, the value of prepping, the chain from survival to living to leisure back to survival, the right amount of drama / melodrama, likable characters making smart choices, dumb characters being taught the hard way, gore but in an almost comical tone, insanity, the gonk and the equivalent of a roaming ARFCOM GD army.

To me Dawn of the Dead is the best zombie "thing" around. Its the great granddaddy. Without it doing what it did so well we never would have had The Walking Dead, which is more or less another man's reimagining of the same world with the same themes and the same tropes.

I just wish the remake wasn't hot dog sick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A middle ground exists, and is the yardstick by which the entire genre is measured.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/JsARCLIGHT/dawnofthedead1978_zpskfnye6iw.jpg

How is that middle ground?

It has everything... social commentary without beating you over the head with it, the value of prepping, the chain from survival to living to leisure back to survival, the right amount of drama / melodrama, likable characters making smart choices, dumb characters being taught the hard way, gore but in an almost comical tone, insanity, the gonk and the equivalent of a roaming ARFCOM GD army.

To me Dawn of the Dead is the best zombie "thing" around. Its the great granddaddy. Without it doing what it did so well we never would have had The Walking Dead, which is more or less another man's reimagining of the same world with the same themes and the same tropes.

Man, I liked the remake.  In my opinion, it had better cinematography, a better script and dialogue, better character development, better special effects, and better acting.  

The 78' film was a good effort, but it's lower budget shows.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Wasnt fear going to follow military SOF originally?
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Man, I liked the remake.  In my opinion, it had better cinematography, a better script and dialogue, better character development, better special effects, and better acting.  

View Quote

The remake has its moments and I will concede the effects and to some degree the acting, but the script and character development were stunted at best. The remake suffered from the same problems Fear has, which is too many cast members that are not given enough screen time. You wind up with a cast of "main guy and main girl... and... that guy... and the other guy... and that one girl... and the black guy..." All the characters become cliche tropes in the remake only as deep as their seven lines of dialog. They tried to jam too much into what should be a simple story. The original Dawn had it distilled to four people, four unique people that you knew everything about by the end of the movie. The remake lost a lot of that soul due to the thick cast and became just another zombie "watch everybody die" movie for me. Zero care for any of the characters. Then combine that with it just not having the same atmosphere... that foreboding, almost claustrophobic feel to it.

But different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Beretta Boy

He wasn't a walker.... that's for sure. Possibly early stage of being infected. But at that point he wasn't a walker.

Good look at CA NG MOPP Gear

That's actually old school gear.

Good look at the CA NG M4

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The remake has its moments and I will concede the effects and to some degree the acting, but the script and character development were stunted at best. The remake suffered from the same problems Fear has, which is too many cast members that are not given enough screen time. You wind up with a cast of "main guy and main girl... and... that guy... and the other guy... and that one girl... and the black guy..." All the characters become cliche tropes in the remake only as deep as their seven lines of dialog. They tried to jam too much into what should be a simple story. The original Dawn had it distilled to four people, four unique people that you knew everything about by the end of the movie. The remake lost a lot of that soul due to the thick cast and became just another zombie "watch everybody die" movie for me. Zero care for any of the characters. Then combine that with it just not having the same atmosphere... that foreboding, almost claustrophobic feel to it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I need to go back and watch the original again.  It's been years.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think you can make anything much out of the body next to the Beretta. Someone could have dropped the pistol and then later a walker got shot and fell near it or vice versa. Or the guy could have used the pistol to commit suicide (odd angle but possible), or got shot while up to some nastiness. Or any of a dozen other possibilities. Could involve the national guard but I don't see anything specifically that points that way. Dead bodies and guns wouldn't be strange sights in that scenario.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Mom should have grabbed that pistol.
View Quote
Hell, she should have grabbed that one and the Brady bunch should have grabbed this one too.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a lot of "should haves".  I thought the same thing about the pistol.  

I think it's obvious that these good "left coast" people are going to have to go through a Rick Grimes conversion.  The Rick Grimes of the first couple of seasons is dead.  People were starting to get frustrated with him, and then after the mini-war with the governor, he was born again hard, with his season ending line while in the boxcar at Terminus.  After that, he came back borderline psycho and has been drifting hard that way since.  These west coast liberals are going to have go through that same transition, or die.    

The problem is their transition is going to be more dramatic than Ricks.  Rick may have gone through a weepy farmer phase, but he was a cop.  So, guns weren't icky to him.  These people are going to have to embrace the violence, something right now they're not willing to do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

She wanted to but she knew how Travis felt about guns
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Beretta Boy

http://www.imfdb.org/images/2/21/FTWD-S01E04-Beretta-1.jpg

He wasn't a walker.... that's for sure. Possibly early stage of being infected. But at that point he wasn't a walker.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/e/e9/FTWD-S01E04-M4-1.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/2/20/FTWDS01E03M4A1.jpg
View Quote

She said he had no bite marks he was killed by NG
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:54:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think it's obvious that these good "left coast" people are going to have to go through a Rick Grimes conversion.  The Rick Grimes of the first couple of seasons is dead.  People were starting to get frustrated with him, and then after the mini-war with the governor, he was born again hard, with his season ending line while in the boxcar at Terminus.  After that, he came back borderline psycho and has been drifting hard that way since.  These west coast liberals are going to have go through that same transition, or die.    

The problem is their transition is going to be more dramatic than Ricks.  Rick may have gone through a weepy farmer phase, but he was a cop.  So, guns weren't icky to him.  These people are going to have to embrace the violence, something right now they're not willing to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is where Salvadoran Civil War Veteran Ruben Blades' character comes in.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Beretta Boy

It is the initial outbreak. He might have simply been turning. Remember, the bite does nothing except get you sick since it is a mouth of decayed flesh. You get a bunch of nasty germs and bacteria that kill you through infection. But a bite itself isn't lethal since everyone is infected. A bite can be treated with proper medical care.

Beretta Boy simply might have been one of the folks that started to show natural symptoms of the infection.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, his character is the only who seems "geared" for this event.  

But it's odd, because he doesn't seem like a leader.  School teacher dad seems to be set up as the leader.  Blades' character Salazar is like an anti-Hershel/Dale character.  Where Hershel and Dale were Rick's "moral compass" advisers always pointed to "good", Salazar seems like he's going to be the "moral compass" pointing to "...a bit of the ultra-violent" for Travis.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:02:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow my question about the mirror was not intended to be analyzed for nothing more than
its physical properties of the mirror .Like the question on the flash suppressor not the outcome before/after
or during this action .all I was looking for was the type not the social ramifications of the soldier pulling
the trigger. Or his mental state at the time. Type of operation.

What type of mirror did he use. Was it a military type or was it just a broken piece
of mirror found on the ground.

It was asked simply because I found it humorous that the experts would discuss the type of equipment used
on the end of the rifle with such vigor. During a make-believe horror show.

It was an attempt by me a humor . Which I have  have  clearly demonstrates that I will never become a writer
or storyteller. I'm not capable of getting my point across on the simplest of matters has become abundantly  clear.
View Quote

I understood what you meant.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:31:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Are the Army guys CA NG 40th ID or 10th Mountain?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:49:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A middle ground exists, and is the yardstick by which the entire genre is measured.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/JsARCLIGHT/dawnofthedead1978_zpskfnye6iw.jpg

How is that middle ground?

The original Dawn of the Dead is without a doubt the finest movie in the genre.

Growing up it was one of my absolute favorites and was the yardstick I used to measure all other "zombie" movies.  I guess this sounds kind of gay in a hispterish way but part of me kind of dislikes this whole zombie fad of the past few years or so because every time I enter a discussion it revolves around the walking dead and the assumption that I am one of the millions of people new to the genre introduced via the latest show.  Sure, I watch the show but sometimes I will speed through the slow parts.  Its good enough to watch but by no means do I find it "genre redefining".

My 2nd favorite is probably the ?1991? Night of the Living Dead remake.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:11:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Because he is seizure prone when he's having withdrawals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is she forcing it on him?Let him kick it you dumb bitch.

No, he is not.

Barbiturates and booze cause seizures, not heroin.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

When did she learn to look for bite marks?

NVM I thought she went out before the 9 days later episode.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wow my question about the mirror was not intended to be analyzed for nothing more than
its physical properties of the mirror .Like the question on the flash suppressor not the outcome before/after
or during this action .all I was looking for was the type not the social ramifications of the soldier pulling

What type of mirror did he use. Was it a military type or was it just a broken piece

It was asked simply because I found it humorous that the experts would discuss the type of equipment used

It was an attempt by me a humor . Which I have  have  clearly demonstrates that I will never become a writer
or storyteller. I'm not capable of getting my point across on the simplest of matters has become abundantly  clear.
View Quote

Wait 'til we start discussing what kind of pants Travis wears once he's born again hard!
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

She walked out in the general area.
Walking ALL the way out of LA with a bigger group is a lot different. If she had been in a group of 4-5 the NG patrol would have seen them for sure.
There is no way a bus makes it out of LA. If you didn't get lit up by the NG your at least going to get stopped and packed off to FEMA camp.
I think my odds of making it out of LA myself on foot would be pretty decent. But having my family in tow....... I'm fucked.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I saw that shit outside the fence we'd be packed and ready to book at the first opportunity.

How?
I would think the NG has all the routes out of town blocked. Seal the city and contain the virus is the order of the day.
And walking out would be VERY dangerous and most likely unsuccessful for any size untrained group.
You would be contending with the NG, walkers and criminals.

Mom walked out and back just fine.

Looks like the NG has done a decent job of eradicating the dead.

Walk out, find a bus to steal (fill it with guns) and hope the NG doesn't smoke you on the way out of town.

She walked out in the general area.
Walking ALL the way out of LA with a bigger group is a lot different. If she had been in a group of 4-5 the NG patrol would have seen them for sure.
There is no way a bus makes it out of LA. If you didn't get lit up by the NG your at least going to get stopped and packed off to FEMA camp.
I think my odds of making it out of LA myself on foot would be pretty decent. But having my family in tow....... I'm fucked.

She also left a hole in the fence which could admit a walker or two, thus upsetting the fragile ecosystem inside the wire.

I predict that the fence will be overrun by a herd.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wait 'til we start discussing what kind of pants Travis wears once he's born again hard!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That statement can be taken several different ways

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They bugged the shit out of me. There were a few other guys with velcro rank on their PCs also, and none of them had nametapes on the back.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Overall, I though it was pretty good and the series is getting better. It's a drama set during a zombie apocalypse, so the characters drive the story, not the zombies. Just like Battlestar Galactica, you don't need a space battle every week.

BTW, did anyone catch the two uniform issues? The medic looking at Doug had his Mandarin collar up and the LT had Velcro rank sewed on his patrol cap.

They bugged the shit out of me. There were a few other guys with velcro rank on their PCs also, and none of them had nametapes on the back.

Glad it wasn't just me...

So many times when .mil shows up in shows I have to keep telling myself "it's just hollywood...it's ok that they completely screwed up everything about that uniform"

Maybe they had to do that so they could use real patches...since something has to be screwed up to make them "out of uniform regs"

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

you can't be serious.  the guy hasn't shown one redeeming quality throughout the series.  he isn't capable.  he isn't levelheaded.  he isn't charismatic.  he isn't funny.  he's a selfish, manipulative tattletale.  and this isn't the effects of the drugs--he isn't even cool when he's high.  he's the kind of guy who would drink all the fresh water in the lifeboat when everyone else is sleeping, then cry about it when they tossed him overboard.

i mean, tween girls with self-esteem issues and fix-it complexes might think he's dreamy, but i fail to see how any adult would think the guy is anything but a waste of oxygen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nick is a heart throb on other fan forums - he might even be an overall fan favorite across the board.

you can't be serious.  the guy hasn't shown one redeeming quality throughout the series.  he isn't capable.  he isn't levelheaded.  he isn't charismatic.  he isn't funny.  he's a selfish, manipulative tattletale.  and this isn't the effects of the drugs--he isn't even cool when he's high.  he's the kind of guy who would drink all the fresh water in the lifeboat when everyone else is sleeping, then cry about it when they tossed him overboard.

i mean, tween girls with self-esteem issues and fix-it complexes might think he's dreamy, but i fail to see how any adult would think the guy is anything but a waste of oxygen.

Welcome to modern day America.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Are the Army guys CA NG 40th ID or 10th Mountain?
View Quote

Seen quite a few 10th MTN combat patches (one that's stood out the most anyway). Left sleeve is CANG.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His daughter is still inside the wire so that gives him the motivation to return, once the evil .gov docs have experimented on his wife. He will introduce them to his little friend, lay waste, and carve a swath of destruction through anything standing in his way, dead or alive,  coming back to save his little girl.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

His daughter is still inside the wire so that gives him the motivation to return, once the evil .gov docs have experimented on his wife. He will introduce them to his little friend, lay waste, and carve a swath of destruction through anything standing in his way, dead or alive,  coming back to save his little girl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Return from where?  He's already there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My 2nd favorite is probably the ?1991? Night of the Living Dead remake.
View Quote

1990. I think Tom Savini did a good job with that remake... it kept the feel and character of the original without overburdening it with modernization or exposition. Plus I like Tony Todd, I think he does a good job in just about everything he does. He was one of those prolific "oh that guy" character actors from the late 80s early 90s who seemed to be in almost everything. NotLD, both the original and the remake, are further examples of the small, fleshed out cast principle. A handful of diverse characters all reacting differently to the events, giving us different people to love / hate and allowing enough screen time for them to get a good feel for them and the power struggle.

One thing I prefer about the 1990 remake to the original was that the character of Barbara had a much more likeable character arc. In the original she was more or less catatonic the whole time but in the remake she snaps out of it and becomes the one true survivor (if you can call it that).

But enough about the Romero movies, lets get back to savaging the Travis out of FtWD.

On the subject of Beretta Boy, I wonder why (if he was indeed killed by the NG) they did not recover the pistol? You'd think if you were securing an area one of the major things you would do is mop up afterwards and secure the pistol. I was expecting the patrol that moved past Gelfling Mom to at least pick it up... it was obvious. Why not recover the weapon and deny it to your opposition?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Return from where?  He's already there.
View Quote

I'm picking up what you're putting down, read it a couple times myself to try to figure it out. No success. But it sounds cool.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

So many times when .mil shows up in shows I have to keep telling myself "it's just hollywood...it's ok that they completely screwed up everything about that uniform"

Maybe they had to do that so they could use real patches...since something has to be screwed up to make them "out of uniform regs"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Overall, I though it was pretty good and the series is getting better. It's a drama set during a zombie apocalypse, so the characters drive the story, not the zombies. Just like Battlestar Galactica, you don't need a space battle every week.

BTW, did anyone catch the two uniform issues? The medic looking at Doug had his Mandarin collar up and the LT had Velcro rank sewed on his patrol cap.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I hope that at some point that over under gets cut down and they don't have to pay  $200.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It is the initial outbreak. He might have simply been turning. Remember, the bite does nothing except get you sick since it is a mouth of decayed flesh. You get a bunch of nasty germs and bacteria that kill you through infection. But a bite itself isn't lethal since everyone is infected. A bite can be treated with proper medical care.  

Beretta Boy simply might have been one of the folks that started to show natural symptoms of the infection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beretta Boy

What natural symptoms??  As of now, on both shows, they've never shown anyone get sick (turn) naturally. They've either been bitten, killed (without brain trauma) or died of natural causes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Initial outbreak and manifestation of the virus. Could very well be that some simply turn due to a % issue. Maybe those that don't initially turn have a certain immunity.

I still think a bite isn't a death sentence. Everyone is infected. Thus a bite is survivable with proper medical care and meds.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Initial outbreak and manifestation of the virus. Could very well be that some simply turn due to a % issue. Maybe those that don't initially turn have a certain immunity.

I still think a bite isn't a death sentence. Everyone is infected. Thus a bite is survivable with proper medical care and meds.
View Quote

I've heard a lot of theories on the "bites are lethal" angle. Kirkman himself has said that the bite itself doesn't kill you, the infection does... but that is as far as he took it. Some folks have theorized that the bites contain an "active" version of the virus compared to the dormant version of the virus that everyone carries, and that the active virus infects, kills and turns the bitten host quicker than if they just broke their neck and died.

The only "truth" we have is that people who die, turn... and people who get bitten, die then turn... but are they dying form a virus, blood loss, infection or ? we don't know as none of them have had very qualified medical assistance yet.

I'm kind of hoping we see some doctors attempting to save someone with a bite in Fear so they further flesh out the progression of the virus... but I don't expect to see that. Kirkman, like most zombie genre writers, doesn't want to paint himself into a corner by over-analyzing the thing. It would be Star Trek syndrome... if you over-explain then some nerds somewhere will wag their fingers and cluck every time the thing doesn't fit the same existing pattern.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
My guess is she did and it will reappear in the last episode.

Just because you didn't see her grab it doesn't mean the writers don't let her have it later.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#38]
I think she picked it up too and is keeping it hidden. For the future.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Just because you didn't see her grab it doesn't mean the writers don't let her have it later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Along those lines, do y'all think Travis's son has that straight razor from the barbershop?
They made a point of showing that for a reason.
Or was the intention to hint at other possible weapons in the barbershop due to Salazar telling him that that wasn't all that was in there?
Is Salazar going to end up having a stash of weapons that maybe him and the MILF go get to jailbreak his wife and Johnny Dope?

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#40]
yup, she's got it stuffed up her ham wallet for some deep concealment
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I predict no weapons stash, no thought out plan.

They go to the army hospital, slooooooowly realize things are not on the up and up or that the hospital is slipping into chaos and they hatch an impromptu plan to escape with their family. Things don't go according to plan, people die, the zombies get in, pandemonium, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria.

Season ends with barber wife dead, barber most likely dead (probably due to some stupid move by someone else, the cliche is that the most prepared are always felled by the foolishness of others), barber will have some sort of scene full of pathos where he demands Gelfling Mom or Travis look after his daughter, they all pile in a car and drive off into the unknown, to be continued next season. All the characters we hate stay alive, they leave all the NG weapons laying on the ground, one of them throws a brick through a bookstore window and grabs a copy of "Survival for Vegan No Guns No Kill Dummies" and the REAL Walking Dead starts back up and we wash this show out of our collective consciousness like taking a swift hit of straight bourbon.

Or I'm wrong, things go Rambo, I go to jail peacefully, I'll enjoy it... but if I'm right... Lenny... this show will jump the shark so hard it bounces off the moon.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beretta Boy

Or pointed a 9mm at the NG guys
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I am thinking Travis will be blind the whole time...............
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Along those lines, do y'all think Travis's son has that straight razor from the barbershop?

Or was the intention to hint at other possible weapons in the barbershop due to Salazar telling him that that wasn't all that was in there?

Is Salazar going to end up having a stash of weapons that maybe him and the MILF go get to jailbreak his wife and Johnny Dope?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Barber Shop burned down. I think what he meant was that he has more there than a barber shop. It was his home and life.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beretta Boy

Shut up with your Occam's Razor.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
No, he is not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is she forcing it on him?Let him kick it you dumb bitch.

No, he is not.

I figured he was an epileptic, and he abused his prescription phenobarb, and moved on to opiates..

His sister described his seizure as a grand mal, which is what led me to that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Lights Out

Not a Zpoc story but a EMP story

youtu.be/cWnbrwjnbZA

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Speaking of which, didn't ARFCOM crowd fund a post apocalyptic film or something?  What happened with it? Any good?
Lights Out

Not a Zpoc story but a EMP story

youtu.be/cWnbrwjnbZA

Holy crap that was painful to watch!

I did like the guy at 3:41 with the AR with no rear sight!  

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've heard a lot of theories on the "bites are lethal" angle. Kirkman himself has said that the bite itself doesn't kill you, the infection does... but that is as far as he took it. Some folks have theorized that the bites contain an "active" version of the virus compared to the dormant version of the virus that everyone carries, and that the active virus infects, kills and turns the bitten host quicker than if they just broke their neck and died.

The only "truth" we have is that people who die, turn... and people who get bitten, die then turn... but are they dying form a virus, blood loss, infection or ? we don't know as none of them have had very qualified medical assistance yet.

I'm kind of hoping we see some doctors attempting to save someone with a bite in Fear so they further flesh out the progression of the virus... but I don't expect to see that. Kirkman, like most zombie genre writers, doesn't want to paint himself into a corner by over-analyzing the thing. It would be Star Trek syndrome... if you over-explain then some nerds somewhere will wag their fingers and cluck every time the thing doesn't fit the same existing pattern.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a "horror zombie virus".  You have to just ignore the pathology because there is no plausible explanation for how or why dead and rotting people are walking around.  Science Fiction tried to correct this problem with the genre by creating the Sci Fi zombie "like" infection.  Which is a little more plausible, because the "infected" weren't actually dead.  

Personally I like the Sci Fi version better, but I can live with the horror-zombie, and ignore the absolute absurdity of it.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's a "horror zombie virus".  You have to just ignore the pathology because there is no plausible explanation for how or why dead and rotting people are walking around.  Science Fiction tried to correct this problem with the genre by creating the Sci Fi zombie "like" infection.  Which is a little more plausible, because the "infected" weren't actually dead.  

Personally I like the Sci Fi version better, but I can live with the horror-zombie, and ignore the absolute absurdity of it.  

View Quote

I personally prefer the supernatural angles myself. The old Romero "No more room in hell" sufficed for me... mostly because it is my opinion that any time the zombie thing is introduced as a virus or disease everyone instantly gets obsessed with the minutia of it. And the show can become belabored trying to work within the confines of the epidemic they penned.

For me the thing being as simple as the one sentence Dawn of the Dead description is more than enough: "Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them, it gets up and kills, the people it kills get up and kill."
Page / 73
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top