Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2015 5:17:36 PM EDT
I was just wondering if you experienced any compatibility problems?

Is the process of upgradint to Windows 10 tediuous? Is it basically like reformatting, and reinstalling windows... in that you have to start from scratch all over again? Did you have to reinstall all your games? Did you have to reinstall all of your 3rd party programs, drivers, etc? Have you noticed any drop or increase in performance of your system especially how it translates to gaming?

Basically I want to know how much of a pain in the ass it is to switch over to the new OS, before taking the plunge.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I installed the other night when it first became available. Install was a breeze, the only "glitches" I've experienced so far are that my iTunes media folder got disconnected and I keep getting "new notice" icons in my tray but no new notices.

I tested it out with Borderlands 2 and it ran just fine, same as it did pre install. FWIW I went from 8.1 to 10, and I'm running a moderately complex system with two RAID drives and an SLI setup. No driver issues, no technical problems so far.

Edit: I forgot to mention, no reinstall of anything. All my Steam / Origin / UPlay games and apps remained and the few I've run so far have run fine with no glitches or hiccups yet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm waiting  a while just be sure my drivers are all going to be up to date and bug free.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been trying to upgrade. But it would seem Windows does not like my WIndows 7 Pro OEM key.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been trying to upgrade. But it would seem Windows does not like my WIndows 7 Pro OEM key.
View Quote

My upgrade didn't ask for my 7 pro key
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
For games, i am going to ride my win 7 ultimate into the ground and then try and make win 8.1 work.

They main reason is since it is a performance machine, and the windows 10 license is licensed to the machine and not the user, if I fry something IIRC I have to buy a new copy of the OS.

Here is the quote from brass in the thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1773015_Windows_10_facts_and_myths_FAQ_and_Links_inside_.html

Fix your OP 'myth' #3 about the licensing. The following is 100% Fact Verified by Microsoft, and a VERY Important "Detail"

Windows 10 onward is registered to the DEVICE (motherboard, phone, etc).

Windows 10 is NOT a lifetime user license , it is licensed to the lifetime of the device. All versions of Windows prior to Windows 10 were licensed to the user.

When you take the free upgrade, you are changing your personal license for your current version of windows into a device license to run windows on your current hardware, and forfeiting any rights you had to the current version of the OS you started with (you can't "go back" without buying Windows 7/8 again).

Change your motherboard, and you must buy a new copy of Windows 10, since it is a "new device".

There will be no more calling Microsoft for a "new key" when you upgrade, you will have to purchase Windows 10 again instead.

If you get Win10 as an OEM copy, I'm sure Dell or whoever would supply a new key with new motherboard while under warranty.

If you plan on upgrading your CPU and/or motherboard for more speed, DO IT BEFORE UPGRADING! Otherwise you'll just "burn" your device locked Windows 10 license, and your old OS license will be deactivated (no longer work).
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I downloaded the ISO and it asks for the product key. I've been told that you just use your existing key. But it's not working.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
One game I ran in win 7 compatibility mode.all the rest worked fine

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Upgraded last night, besides having to reinstall my Ethernet driver, everything seems to be working great.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
While I haven't done any gaming yet, Windows 10 has crashed on me three or four times just watching videos and browsing on two screens.

Granted, my graphics card is old (Radeon 6850) but the drivers are all up to date so I don't think it's the card.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

For games, i am going to ride my win 7 ultimate into the ground and then try and make win 8.1 work.

They main reason is since it is a performance machine, and the windows 10 license is licensed to the machine and not the user, if I fry something IIRC I have to buy a new copy of the OS.

Here is the quote from brass in the thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1773015_Windows_10_facts_and_myths_FAQ_and_Links_inside_.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fix your OP 'myth' #3 about the licensing. The following is 100% Fact Verified by Microsoft, and a VERY Important "Detail"

Windows 10 is NOT a lifetime user license , it is licensed to the lifetime of the device. All versions of Windows prior to Windows 10 were licensed to the user.

When you take the free upgrade, you are changing your personal license for your current version of windows into a device license to run windows on your current hardware, and forfeiting any rights you had to the current version of the OS you started with (you can't "go back" without buying Windows 7/8 again).

Change your motherboard, and you must buy a new copy of Windows 10, since it is a "new device".

There will be no more calling Microsoft for a "new key" when you upgrade, you will have to purchase Windows 10 again instead.

If you get Win10 as an OEM copy, I'm sure Dell or whoever would supply a new key with new motherboard while under warranty.

If you plan on upgrading your CPU and/or motherboard for more speed, DO IT BEFORE UPGRADING! Otherwise you'll just "burn" your device locked Windows 10 license, and your old OS license will be deactivated (no longer work).

google KMSpico.

your welcome
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not basing this off of any myths... I just never have upgraded an OS before. It's always been installs, or reformatting/reinstalling. So I simply have no experience with the process.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck it, I'm taking the plunge.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I downloaded the ISO and it asks for the product key. I've been told that you just use your existing key. But it's not working.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only Windows 7 Home editions are eligible for the free upgrade. Enterprise & Pro are not.

Oh, and when I cloned my laptop HD to an SSD, it improperly cloned the Windows System Reserved parition, and it won't upgrade from Win 7 Home Premium. :( No way that I can find to restore said partition, so I have to rebuild from scratch.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fuck it, I'm taking the plunge.
View Quote

Dooooo eeeeeeit!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Most games are getting 50-10% performance increases. Some games are getting 20-40% increases.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Only Windows 7 Home editions are eligible for the free upgrade. Enterprise & Pro are not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true. I just got it to work. Turns out I had downloaded the Home edition of WIndows 10 and it didn't like my version of Windows 7. So, I redownloaded the Windows 10 Pro version and it didn't ask for my product key and is working now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Never gonna do it, windows 7 is the shit!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Most games are getting 50-10% performance increases. Some games are getting 20-40% increases.
View Quote

By what metric? What are they measuring, exactly? Surely it isn't frame rate.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop with the bullshit. All of my Windows 7 pro installs upgraded just fine. Enterprise is not.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed a slight bump when I made the leap from 7 to 8, but the leap from 8.1 to 10 seems identical to me.

I plan to test more games over the weekend, so perhaps it is a game by game basis... then again I'd never notice much of a gain in performance as most of my games are maxed out and bouncing off the refresh limit of my monitor as is...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Had a friend who switched and said he was having major frame rate issues in CS GO
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most games are getting 5-10% performance increases. Some games are getting 20-40% increases.

Maximum frame rate.

I meant 5-10% performance increase, not 50-10%.

It's mainly users from Windows 7 to 10, which is close to the same that many that went from 7 to 8.1 experienced.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question, but keep in mind that, compared to Win8, Win7 is a memory hog. Performance wise, Windows 8 blows Windows 7 away, and I would imagine that 10 is similar.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I noticed a slight bump when I made the leap from 7 to 8, but the leap from 8.1 to 10 seems identical to me.

I plan to test more games over the weekend, so perhaps it is a game by game basis... then again I'd never notice much of a gain in performance as most of my games are maxed out and bouncing off the refresh limit of my monitor as is...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is, or close enough. Unless you're playing a select few games that are getting huge boosts.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been using the Windows 10 enterprise tech preview for a few months now. Only play BF4 and HoTS really but I haven't had many issues. The one problem I had was with AMDs drivers they released a week or so ago causing corrupt file warning.  Did a full format and reinstall of Windows 10 using the release ISO last night and that issue went away runs great now. I really like the OS so far even though I was hesitant about the switch.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I just hit a roadblock...

After going through some loading screens... The screen tuened black. Pc is not doing anything right now.

What do I do now?

ETA: Nevermind... It restarted a couple times and went back to the upgrading progression window.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Wait for the first patch.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck...

So here I am at my desktop... and *EVERYTHING* is fucking huge. The resolution sucks. How do I adjust it? I tried to display settings, but it doesn't seem to  allow me to change it... WTF?!

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just hit a roadblock...

After going through some loading screens... The screen tuened black. Pc is not doing anything right now.

What do I do now?

ETA: Nevermind... It restarted a couple times and went back to the upgrading progression window.

View Quote

My PC boots back to Windows 7 and sat there. I was able to surf the web and I was freaking out. Then it rebooted and went to the upgrade screen.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fuck...

So here I am at my desktop... and *EVERYTHING* is fucking huge. The resolution sucks. How do I adjust it? I tried to display settings, but it doesn't seem to  allow me to change it... WTF?!

View Quote

Check your graphics card drivers. Mine took a reset to fully seat in.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#31]
current resolution is 1024x768... but the options to change it are greyed out. WTF?!

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#32]
If you use endicia for anything it doesn't support windows 10 yet. (Not gaming related, but desktop related ...)
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
current resolution is 1024x768... but the options to change it are greyed out. WTF?!

View Quote

Told ya.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, I got Windows 10 installed. Great. Now I have no internet (running a Netgear N600)… it says I'm connected but I can't actually get on the web. No pages load. Also, all of my Nvidia drivers are nowhere to be found. Since I can't get on the internet, I can't download the drivers for my video card.

Never mind, had to restart and it started to work.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck...

I restarted my PC, and my resolution corrected itself to a setting I'm 100% satisfied with.

Still getting used to the layout... I have o idea where some things are.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I read somewhere, that Windows 10 is installed parallel to Windows 7.... In other words, Windows 7 is still installed on my HD somewhere. Is that true?

Won't having two OS, slow my system down? I know for sure it's a waste of HD space...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Figure out who made your video card and what model it is.

Go to the manufacturers website, find the support/drivers/download section, and find the latest drivers for your video card and operating system.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I installed it and everything is available.  But, it was a bit of a pain in the ass. I had to do partition work, and reduce the size of my boot log, before it would install.  Then, after it installed, I had to manually install several drivers (video, logitec headset, etc)

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I read somewhere, that Windows 10 is installed parallel to Windows 7.... In other words, Windows 7 is still installed on my HD somewhere. Is that true?

Won't having two OS, slow my system down? I know for sure it's a waste of HD space...
View Quote

Yes.

To get rid of it type "clean up" in the start menu search bar, click the "clean up system files" button, then it'll appear in the list of things to delete.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It won't slow you down, it'll just take up a few gigs of hard drive space, in case you want to uninstall it in the next 30 days.

If you're happy with what you've got, you can run the disk cleanup tool to remove the windows 7 backup.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Go to the manufacturers website, find the support/drivers/download section, and find the latest drivers for your video card and operating system.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually simply restarting my system fixed everything. It's now in my favorite resolution, which is.... 1920x1080

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#42]
So my only issue I'm experiencing so far, seems to be a glitch that is happening with my "Nvidia Experience" companion application.
Basically it allows me to record video games, and also puts up an FPS counter in the upper right hand corner while gaming. Problem is, when I hover my mouse over Windows buttons (Minimize, Maximize, Close and Back buttons), ghost images of the FPS counter numbers appear to show up.
Closing down Nvidia Experience doesn't seem to resolve the issue. It's a minor issue, I admit, but it is a bit of an eyesore.
Here is what it usually looks like in game (This photo taken from Google image search)

Here is what it is doing to my windows. Also, those numbers change, every time my house hovers over the button... and remain so only until hovered over again. The number also shows up in other windows in different areas as well... even on the start menu... and other random ass places.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#43]
After quick googling, I found mention of the same problem on another website....

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/856554/shadowplay-display-fps-issues-windows-10/?offset=9

Apparently, the only solution is to turn off the FPS function in the application. Oh well. I can always turn it back on right before playing a game, and turn it off when I get out of it. I'm sure Nvidia will eventually come around to fixing this minor issue.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#44]
So what are some new, nifty features that I should know about? My previous version was Windows 7...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone else having issues with Steam? Seems Windows 10 and Steam at least for my computer do not like one another. Steam loads but hangs and I'm unable to do anything.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I probably don't have the space to install.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#47]
hell no, my BF4 is working nicely with W7
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

So what are some new, nifty features that I should know about? My previous version was Windows 7...
View Quote
Have you run across the recording DVR?  It can be set to always record your games' last 30 seconds, so that you can save exciting stuff, after the fact.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:05:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I was just wondering if you experienced any compatibility problems?
Is the process of upgradint to Windows 10 tediuous? Is it basically like reformatting, and reinstalling windows... in that you have to start from scratch all over again? Did you have to reinstall all your games? Did you have to reinstall all of your 3rd party programs, drivers, etc? Have you noticed any drop or increase in performance of your system especially how it translates to gaming?

Basically I want to know how much of a pain in the ass it is to switch over to the new OS, before taking the plunge.  
View Quote

Don't do it.

If you have any interest whatsoever in playing PC games and the ones you have work now, DO NOT do it.    At best, we might learn a few months from now that 10 is better than, say, 8.

Every gamer I know who has moved away from Windows 7 has been kicking themselves ever since.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:09:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Every gamer I know who has moved away from Windows 7 has been kicking themselves ever since.
View Quote

Judas Priest what fucking planet do some of you people live on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top