[#1]
Start it at room temperature..  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm gonna give it a shot it takes like 45 min to get my smoker fired up so it'll be out that whole time
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I usually get them for under $4.00, usually around $3.70. I'd say someone saw you coming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
How much was the brisket?   I took major heat on my last brisket thread on the cost.

<a href="http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/flytosail3/media/dd0040063228883aeff7537ff6be6279_zps104a7259.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee403/flytosail3/dd0040063228883aeff7537ff6be6279_zps104a7259.jpg</a>

I usually get them for under $4.00, usually around $3.70. I'd say someone saw you coming.

I don't know, I wanted to try one until I saw the price at HEB, a major chain here in Texas, and it was around $75.00.  I'm not experimenting on something I have to take a loan out to buy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm gonna give it a shot it takes like 45 min to get my smoker fired up so it'll be out that whole time
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It likely will take 2-3 hrs for a 14 pounder to warm up. Better warm than cold, you are cooking it anyway.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Look on youtube for Aaron Franklin's brisket videos.  

Mine come out pretty much perfect now that I know how the smoker behaves.  That's as important as anything else.
View Quote

Franklin's is under the gun as well as other trendy Barbecue joints here in Austin.  They may have to put smoke scrubbers in their smokers which is prohibitively expensive because neighbors are complaining about the constant smoke.  

Black's Barbecue here just got sued yesterday by the neighbors for constant smoke.  You really can't blame them.  The people lived there first and everything in their homes are smoke damaged, not to mention their lungs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol at the people saying it'll take 8-10 hours at 225*.....that's a 14lb brisket.  I bet it takes you at least 14 hours....probably longer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't know, I wanted to try one until I saw the price at HEB, a major chain here in Texas, and it was around $75.00.  I'm not experimenting on something I have to take a loan out to buy.
View Quote

$2.98/lbs at my heb, plenty of cash leftover to buy yourself a crock pot
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Franklin's is under the gun as well as other trendy Barbecue joints here in Austin.  They may have to put smoke scrubbers in their smokers which is prohibitively expensive because neighbors are complaining about the constant smoke.  

Black's Barbecue here just got sued yesterday by the neighbors for constant smoke.  You really can't blame them.  The people lived there first and everything in their homes are smoke damaged, not to mention their lungs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine come out pretty much perfect now that I know how the smoker behaves.  That's as important as anything else.

black's is nowhere near any houses, those people need to take Thomas j. henry, the law offices of Gonzales, Gonzales and Gonzales or whoever the fuck took the case and go get themselves fucked

ETA:  seems some asshole in Austin think's he's black's bbq instead of out of lockhart where the real one is

residents are still whiney fuckers and I doubt very fucking seriously their lungs and houses are any worse for the wear
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

black's is nowhere near any houses, those people need to take Thomas j. henry, the law offices of Gonzales, Gonzales and Gonzales or whoever the fuck took the case and go get themselves fucked

ETA:  seems some asshole in Austin think's he's black's bbq instead of out of lockhart where the real one is

residents are still whiney fuckers and I doubt very fucking seriously their lungs and houses are any worse for the wear
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Black's Barbecue I'm speaking of apparently is near houses in an old neighborhood in Austin or they sure to fuck wouldn't be getting sued.  The Black's in Lockhart forty miles away don't have a damn thing to do with it.  The Black's in Austin have only been there two years.  

There's a difference between a neighbor cranking up the smoker on the weekend and having commercial size smokers set up on the block puffing out carcinogens day and night causing you and your family to have to keep the doors and windows shut to try and keep the smoke out and go around all the time smelling like they have been burning brush and unless you're also doctor when you're not driving a truck how the fuck would you know if it has any effect on their lungs?    
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:59:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Black's Barbecue I'm speaking of apparently is near houses in an old neighborhood in Austin or they sure to fuck wouldn't be getting sued.  The Black's in Lockhart forty miles away don't have a damn thing to do with it.  The Black's in Austin have only been there two years.  

There's a difference between a neighbor cranking up the smoker on the weekend and having commercial size smokers set up on the block puffing out carcinogens day and night causing you and your family to have to keep the doors and windows shut to try and keep the smoke out and go around all the time smelling like they have been burning brush and unless you're also doctor when you're not driving a truck how the fuck would you know if it has any effect on their lungs?    
View Quote

1) i'm not a fucking truck driver, that's what happens when you ASSume things
2) why do so many of the BBQ greats beat the average life expectancy?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:16:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Welp I'm sitting outside with a cold drink, watching my temp stay steady at 240 on the grate and around 225 in the dome. It's held for 3 hours now but I'm still not brave enough to go to bed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:31:29 AM EDT
[#12]
225 - 235 is where I keep the smoke. 230 is golden.

14 lb brisket usually takes me about 16 - 18 hours. I use oak and pecan to get the coals going and then add mesquite to get some smoke. I won't add any more mesquite after the 3rd hour. Only oak or pecan after that. And only enough of that to maintain the temp. If it stalls for more than 2 hours I do wrap it. When it's done wrap it in a towel and put in a cooler for at least an hour.

Let us know how you like that mustard in the rub. I've done that a couple of times and they both came out very good.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:01:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Op where you at?
At this altitude your looking at 16 to 18 hours. Experience talking on this one. I won't crutch it but I will wrap it loosely and hold it in a cooler. Don't let the stall freak you out. It can do that, just let it go and you'll be fine.
What kind of wood are you smoking with? I found hickory works great with brisket and pork . Good luck. Post up as it's going.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Well it's in....
I'm going to play this war of mine for an hour and make sure I'm holding temps
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Op where you at?
At this altitude your looking at 16 to 18 hours. Experience talking on this one. I won't crutch it but I will wrap it loosely and hold it in a cooler. Don't let the stall freak you out. It can do that, just let it go and you'll be fine.
What kind of wood are you smoking with? I found hickory works great with brisket and pork . Good luck. Post up as it's going.
View Quote

The "stall" really confused me till I started to read up on it.   What the OP has right now is time to read up on it.     And drink.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip

What type of towels?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pull it at 198 - 202 degrees and wrap in towels and place wrapped brisket into cooler for 2 more hours. You'll need to factor in that additional time.

Don't pull a newbie move and cut into the thing without letting it rest in the cooler. Otherwise it will dry out almost in minutes. This part is critical.

Thanks for the tip

What type of towels?

TIN FOIL FIRST , then towels
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The "stall" really confused me till I started to read up on it.   What the OP has right now is time to read up on it.     And drink.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op where you at?

Can't start drinking till 10am when I get home from my daughters karate

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Slept for an hour and of course I dropped 20 degrees

I'm using the minion method and new briquettes (Stubbs) I built these little firebreaks using wet mesquite because the kingsford competition(that I'm used to using) burns hot and fast in my smoker

Of course the Stubbs coal made it through the first one hit the second and stopped moving fwd I build a quickie coal bridge and it should be moving fwd now I see the temps coming up
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I've always wanted to smoke a brisket, but I want a system of setting it at the proper temp, and only needing to restock the smoking elements very few hours. In other words, minimal attention required. Could an electric or propane system work for this?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How much was the brisket?   I took major heat on my last brisket thread on the cost.

<a href="http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/flytosail3/media/dd0040063228883aeff7537ff6be6279_zps104a7259.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee403/flytosail3/dd0040063228883aeff7537ff6be6279_zps104a7259.jpg</a>
View Quote

Whoaa...

You're approaching Wagyu prices there!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Progressing nicely
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I do briskets on a WSM, 4500 elevation.  Usually take 16 hours, minion, overnight, until flat is done.

With a packer, I always pull the whole brisket when the flat is where I want it.  It's not so much a temperature, as a tenderness thing.  When I can insert a thermometer/bbq fork in the flat with a little resistance, pull it. I start checking at 185, but it's more of a feel than a temp.  Every brisket is a little different. Quickly separate the flat and the point.  Wrap the flat in foil, wrap foil package in towels, and place in small cooler to rest for a few hours.  Return the point to the smoker.  You can return unwrapped if you have time and like bark.  Foil wrapped if you are in a hurry and don't care about bark.  OR, chip-chopped it up, re-rub, sauced, and in a chafing dish for another hour or so if you like burnt ends.   When the point has finished cooking to perfection, the flat will have rested adequately, and all will be well with the world as long as you have a good beer.

ETA - looks like you are off to a good start.  Have fun and enjoy the BBQ.  What you doing for sauce?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I do briskets on a WSM, 4500 elevation.  Usually take 16 hours, minion, overnight, until flat is done.

With a packer, I always pull the whole brisket when the flat is where I want it.  It's not so much a temperature, as a tenderness thing.  When I can insert a thermometer/bbq fork in the flat with a little resistance, pull it. I start checking at 185, but it's more of a feel than a temp.  Every brisket is a little different. Quickly separate the flat and the point.  Wrap the flat in foil, wrap foil package in towels, and place in small cooler to rest for a few hours.  Return the point to the smoker.  You can return unwrapped if you have time and like bark.  Foil wrapped if you are in a hurry and don't care about bark.  OR, chip-chopped it up, re-rub, sauced, and in a chafing dish for another hour or so if you like burnt ends.   When the point has finished cooking to perfection, the flat will have rested adequately, and all will be well with the world as long as you have a good beer.

ETA - looks like you are off to a good start.  Have fun and enjoy the BBQ.  What you doing for sauce?
View Quote

No sauce for the brisket the last one I did(just the flat) was so jucy and had such a good flavor the sauce just got left on the side

Ok after researching I'm gonna do burnt ends(they look awesome) any tips???
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've got two masterbuilt electric smokers. On here and one at my cabin. They work fine for me and I don't have to stay up all night screwing with a fire.

The purists won't approve, but they hold a steady heat and apply smoke, so...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always wanted to smoke a brisket, but I want a system of setting it at the proper temp, and only needing to restock the smoking elements very few hours. In other words, minimal attention required. Could an electric or propane system work for this?

I've got two masterbuilt electric smokers. On here and one at my cabin. They work fine for me and I don't have to stay up all night screwing with a fire.

The purists won't approve, but they hold a steady heat and apply smoke, so...

I heard you don't get a good bark with the electric any truth to that
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd say 16 - 18 hours - depending on how long it stalls.  Good choice not to wrap - let it work through the stall and render completely.

One it hits my temp mark I pull it off the smoker, wrap in foil then a blanket.  Rest in a cooler for 2 hours and then slice -

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Awesome! I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain yesterday and have 2 racks of baby backs on there now for its inaugural/trial run.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Well mine finally made it through the stall at 8:30 this am and started it at 1am. Hopefully it will be finished by 1:00pm for a total smoke time of 16 hours.
And I haven't opened the lid once or had to fuck with the fire. Egg smokers are definitely the way to go if you like low and slow.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Burnt ends are awesome.  My favorite part.  I do use a sauce, just a tweaked version of Raichlen's basic BBQ sauce recipe.

I pull the point, rough chop into 1" cubes, re-rub, and then put back on the smoker in a chafing pan for another hour or two.  When they are within reach of perfection, I sauce lightly.  I give enough time for the sauce to caramelize a bit.  It will be equally excellent with just a second application of rub.  The sugars will still caramelize.  Awesome goodness.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm lazy about watching the fire as well, I have an akorn, but I use an electric controller to keep the fire steady.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_27

Basically there's a thermocouple that you put on the iron grate, then it reads this thermocouple and has a fan that blows on the coals to get it hotter. So far no problems and it's basically hands off, unless you run out of fuel.

Best of both worlds, actual charcoal for taste, but electric management.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm lazy about watching the fire as well, I have an akorn, but I use an electric controller to keep the fire steady.

Basically there's a thermocouple that you put on the iron grate, then it reads this thermocouple and has a fan that blows on the coals to get it hotter. So far no problems and it's basically hands off, unless you run out of fuel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to look into that

the downfall of this smoker/grill is that temperature control is a pita

Here it is now after the second restock of coal temp will peak at 235 then drift back down to 220

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Pas 13b view
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Just turned it point is at 192 the flat is stalled at 160

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Hurry up and finish that I'm hungry.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Flat is at 178 family is breaking down we are doing emergency popcorn rations

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is one of the best concise explanations of how to do it the right way that I've seen in a while.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#39]
It's done!!!!!!

Here it is after I pulled the point for burnt ends
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's done!!!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/pZtmF7z.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1tvedjN.jpg

Here it is after I pulled the point for burnt ends
View Quote

Damn you. I want that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Can I come over for dinner?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'd say 16 - 18 hours - depending on how long it stalls.  Good choice not to wrap - let it work through the stall and render completely.

One it hits my temp mark I pull it off the smoker, wrap in foil then a blanket.  Rest in a cooler for 2 hours and then slice -

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r24/Gatorcountry/20140918_210208_zps974d90c0.jpg  
View Quote

Looks good, nice smoke ring.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks tasty.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Gonna need some sliced pics mmkaaaaay.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did my best here I had two screaming hungry kids who wanted to eat
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#46]
OP, that looks GOOD, and I say job well done.

So where was my invite?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/2XAVGio.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here is why I put it on the night before. I have tried it your way, lol, but the wife and kids are at my throat when it becomes "just another hour". We can eat anytime between noon and 4 (when held in a cooler).

Looks good, enjoy
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This right here is why I put it on the night before. I have tried it your way, lol, but the wife and kids are at my throat when it becomes "just another hour". We can eat anytime between noon and 4 (when held in a cooler).

Looks good, enjoy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks good, enjoy

I've been up since 0230

My problem was putting the sensor in the point and not checking the flat my smoker runs hotter on the left side so that's the side I ran the point on it hit 180 at 1300 and I called off lunch thinking we were going to have a super early dinner .

I went to stab the flat with the thermometer and it was tough as could be and sitting at 158 so I turned it around and it had to cook another few hours on the hot side pulled it when the flat read 195 at like 1600

It's all a learning process

Next time I'm gonna stay up to midnight start it then wake up at like 5 to re coal it
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big points for the knife.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#50]
I'd eat the hell outta that!!

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top