Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 7/31/2015 12:13:34 PM EDT
Link to Facebook video...Hilarious

I have some creationists in my extended family.  They have hilarious circular logic such as, "The fossil record shows dinosaurs and thorny plants existed at the same time.  The Bible says thorns didn't occur on plants until after the fall of Adam.  Therefore dinosaurs and people walked the earth at the same time."

Yes, these people walk among us.  I humored them and went to the Creation Museum in Kentucky.  It was a well designed museum with well executed exhibits, fueled by a heavy dose of batshit crazy and denial of science.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
In before butthurt creationists.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have some creationists in my extended family.  They have hilarious circular logic such as, "The fossil record shows dinosaurs and thorny plants existed at the same time.  The Bible says thorns didn't occur on plants until after the fall of Adam.  Therefore dinosaurs and people walked the earth at the same time."

Yes, these people walk among us.  I humored them and went to the Creation Museum in Kentucky.  It was a well designed museum with well executed exhibits, fueled by a heavy dose of batshit crazy and denial of science.
View Quote

Don't paint with such a wide brush, please.  Strict Darwin supporters sound pretty stupid, too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
In.

ETA: I don't live all that far from the creation museum. I'm tempted to go, but I don't know if they would let me tailgate first
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Done to death.

Let me guess, it's the same reaction as the other side when "evidence" is proven fraudulent?

Yawn

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess someone needed to feel "validated" today.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#8]
People with preconceived notions of the truth aren't willing to accept evidence to the contrary?

That sums up every argument.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#9]
social Darwinism isn't working out to well for us
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Done to death.

Let me guess, it's the same reaction as the other side when "evidence" is proven fraudulent?

Yawn

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't Social Darwinism pretty well aligned with conservative views?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Done to death.

Yawn

View Quote

Actually no.  When scientists who specialize in evolutionary biology find out that evidence is proven false, they adjust their theory.  Because they're scientists and that's what the scientific method is all about.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Done to death.

Yawn

View Quote

Two way streets. How do they work?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Done to death.

Yawn

http://media.giphy.com/media/wSU1U3h1PFFsc/giphy.gif

What? Surely if we have this discussion again someone will change their position on the matter...

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Actually no.  When scientists who specialize in evolutionary biology find out that evidence is proven false, they adjust their theory.  Because they're scientists and that's what the scientific method is all about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Done to death.

Yawn

Then explain the "scientist" involved with global warming studies.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn, you're cool bro!

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#18]
iv never understood why it always has to be either evolution or god....... why cant it be a combination?   god created jesus, by using the normal process of a woman getting pregnant, and carrying and giving birth, etc.( he did not just presto a man into exhistance, full grown, he used the natural , normal way to get his result) . it took 20-30 something years to have jesus walking around doing miracles.   IF you believe in god.... then you believe 1000 years to god is nothing, hell a million years is nothing....so..... why could god not have used evolution to get man, if time means nothing to him?  just start the process with the ocean, and a million years later you end up with  man..

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Social Darwinism has absolutely nothing to do with science.  Hell, the so-called social sciences have absolutely nothing to do with science.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#20]
There is insufficient "evidence" to prove either side right/wrong.  So it's a non-issue.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Neva been done befoe
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Done to death.

Yawn

Global warming is driven by money from people who stand to gain monetarily if they can shift the economy away from fossil fuels, or even make it seem as if that is happening.  There is no money machine driving evolutionary biology.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Global warming is driven by money from people who stand to gain monetarily if they can shift the economy away from fossil fuels, or even make it seem as if that is happening.  There is no money machine driving evolutionary biology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Done to death.

Yawn

My point is just being a scientist doesn't mean you are actually applying the scientific method.  There are other motivations besides money.  Ego is a huge one, as is defending your belief system regardless of what it happens to be.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
iv never understood why it always has to be either evolution or god....... why cant it be a combination?   god created jesus, by using the normal process of a woman getting pregnant, and carrying and giving birth, etc.( he did not just presto a man into exhistance, full grown, he used the natural , normal way to get his result) . it took 20-30 something years to have jesus walking around doing miracles.   IF you believe in god.... then you believe 1000 years to god is nothing, hell a million years is nothing....so..... why could god not have used evolution to get man, if time means nothing to him?  just start the process with the ocean, and a million years later you end up with  man..

View Quote

Most people who accept the reality that life evolved have no problem with that idea.  I am not religious, but I couldn't tell you for any certainty that the first life wasn't created.  It's certainly possible.  The ones who have a problem with it are zealots---mostly fundamentalists, but also some blowhard atheist "spokespeople" who represent nonbeliever to the same extent that Al Sharpton represents blacks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is insufficient "evidence" to prove either side right/wrong.  So it's a non-issue.  
View Quote

Wrong.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#28]
We all know the Abrasax family killed off the dinosaurs and cross bread apes with hybrid humans in order to return thousands of years later and harvest the human to extend their own lives.

Christains are so gullible

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My point is just being a scientist doesn't mean you are actually applying the scientific method.  There are other motivations besides money.  Ego is a huge one, as is defending your belief system regardless of what it happens to be.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Done to death.

Yawn

Ego, sure, but you misunderstand science and the scientific process.  You make your name in science by disproving other people's theories.  If someone could punch big holes in evolutionary theory, they'd do it.  Not because they are Creationists, but because then they would be able to promote their competing theory.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#31]
IBTL
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Done to death.

Yawn

Except when it comes to global warming.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My grandfather thought that if your house burned the Bible would not catch on fire.My mother thought that if you lit blessed candles it would provide protection in thunderstorms.
What's the value of arguing over irrational religious beliefs?
View Quote

So Aimless, did your fathers bible ever catch on fire?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Done to death.

Yawn

There are a lot less politics and big government money involved in evolutionary biology. Also, it doesn't seem that anti-capitalist anarchists give two shit about it either.

Biologists, not pop-Sci goons with their own TV shows, but those guys who work for universities and small companies have nothing to gain other than credibility in their field by doing it right.

Global warming guys, unless they publish research that doesn't follow the current government dialog, have lots of shit to gain.  Lots of grants, visits to DC for photo ops, and appearances on Oprah are enough motivation for some environmental scientists to ignore results.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My grandfather thought that if your house burned the Bible would not catch on fire.My mother thought that if you lit blessed candles it would provide protection in thunderstorms.

Yes, but the rest of his house was untouched.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Ego, sure, but you misunderstand science and the scientific process.  You make your name in science by disproving other people's theories.  If someone could punch big holes in evolutionary theory, they'd do it.  Not because they are Creationists, but because then they would be able to promote their competing theory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand it just fine, but I've seen too many people not use it and push their ideas for me to trust so called scientists anymore.  I firmly believe in evolution, but my distrust of "scientists" is a general thing anymore due to behavior of many that claim the title.  

And I think I have managed to jack up the quote tree.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Don't you have a soldier's funeral to protest?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

He might be onto something.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/04/16/the-only-item-that-survived-the-lady-antebellum-bus-fire-was-hillary-scotts-bible/

Also if the candle is large enough it could dissipate a thunderstorm.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Don't paint with such a wide brush, please.  Strict Darwin supporters sound pretty stupid, too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In before the pig jawbone swinging missing link butthurt

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He might be onto something.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/04/16/the-only-item-that-survived-the-lady-antebellum-bus-fire-was-hillary-scotts-bible/

I've also heard of fires happening in towns and surrounding buildings and Churches being untouched.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are saying the Blessed candle worked but the burnt bible theory is BS?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

In.

ETA: I don't live all that far from the creation museum. I'm tempted to go, but I don't know if they would let me tailgate first
View Quote

I went to the one here close to me,  they have some pretty impressive dinosaur exhibits, which was why I took my gf and her little boy.   He loves dinosaurs.   He wasn't much interested in the "science" they were pushing, but I found it hilarious.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Well bless your heart.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Crazy creationist checking in. (I walk among you! Oh the noes!) Just a quick statement. While I believe God created the heavens and the earth etc etc from Genesis, I also believe He created it in its maturity, much like I believe Adam and Eve would have been adults, not infants upon creation. They may look 24, but they're a say old etc... So anything that looks old could just have been made that way?

Cray Cray crayationist checking out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread was planted by the devil to test the true believers faith
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#48]

"Retard frog-squirrel" Classic.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I want to go to the Creation Museum.  It's got to be an absolutely absurd mixture of hilarious and horrifying.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are trying to create a false equivalency. People that deny reality and believe in some Harry Potter level shit because they read it in a book are a bit different than people that accept a scientific theory that is supported by evidence from a variety of science disciplines.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top