Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/30/2015 11:14:22 PM EDT

"By MacDonald Dzirutwe

HARARE (Reuters) - As social media exploded with outrage this week at the killing of Cecil the lion, the untimely passing of the celebrated predator at the hands of an American dentist went largely unnoticed in the animal's native Zimbabwe.

"What lion?" acting information minister Prisca Mupfumira asked in response to a request for comment about Cecil, who was at that moment topping global news bulletins and generating reams of abuse for his killer on websites in the United States and Europe.

. . .

For most people in the southern African nation, where unemployment tops 80 percent and the economy continues to feel the after-effects of billion percent hyperinflation a decade ago, the uproar had all the hallmarks of a 'First World Problem'.

"Are you saying that all this noise is about a dead lion? Lions are killed all the time in this country," said Tryphina Kaseke, a used-clothes hawker on the streets of Harare. "What is so special about this one?"

. . .

"Why are the Americans more concerned than us?" said Joseph Mabuwa, a 33-year-old father-of-two cleaning his car in the centre of the capital. "We never hear them speak out when villagers are killed by lions and elephants in Hwange." "

Well, Joseph, that's because lions are endangered, and African peasants are . . . not.

Full story, Reuters: What Lion?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Kill a Lion, nobody here gives a fuck. They want to pat the dude on the back for ILLEGALLY killing an critically endangered species.

But kill a dog for sport or fun? They'll flip the fuck out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm too preoccupied with my job, rent, bills, and whether or not I'm going to have a job next month.

Must be nice to be set up so well that there's enough time to cry over something you didn't even know existed last week.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kill a Lion, nobody here gives a fuck. They want to pat the dude on the back for ILLEGALLY killing an critically endangered species.

View Quote

It's not that nobody gives a fuck - it's that they give too much of a fuck that it has taken priority over other issues.  

Planned parenthood is parting out human babies (fetuses, etc.) for profit - ISIS is slaughtering people and throwing them in mass graves - The Iran nuclear deal is giving a country run by psychopaths the means to make a bomb - etc etc etc...  But let's freak out about a lion.

I just read that the administration is "going to get to the bottom of it" (in reference to Cecil's death).  Can you look me in the eye and tell me that's a good allocation of resources while all the other shit is going on around the globe and here in the U.S.?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I must have missed this.  WHO wants to give the dentist a pat on the back?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You misspelled Crisis in your thread title.

View Quote

What you did there . . .

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep

And these same people claim over and over that you're thinking with your emotions and are some PETA communist

But if you shoot their dog then all hell breaks loose

Why the double standard?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Dogs should only be killed for food
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#9]

If the MSM didn't have Cecil to talk about, they would only have uncomfortable silence while they refused to mention Planned Parenthood.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's not that nobody gives a fuck - it's that they give too much of a fuck that it has taken priority over other issues.  

Planned parenthood is parting out human babies (fetuses, etc.) for profit - ISIS is slaughtering people and throwing them in mass graves - The Iran nuclear deal is giving a country run by psychopaths the means to make a bomb - etc etc etc...  But let's freak out about a lion.

I just read that the administration is "going to get to the bottom of it" (in reference to Cecil's death).  Can you look me in the eye and tell me that's a good allocation of resources while all the other shit is going on around the globe and here in the U.S.?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate democrats.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shoot dogs and cats equally for sport not food. I'm not racist.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Lions aren't endangered.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lions aren't endangered.
View Quote

Cecil was a rare black mane lion
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lions aren't endangered.

Dentist on black violence.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Not in before the PETAtards why don't yall bitch and moan about the millions of cattle killed each year? ....oh wait, they aren't "special" there is nothing special about a big kitteh. Never mind the fact that the money paid to put a slug in that big "majestic" bastard is doing millions more than your bitching.

ETA: One day I'm going to Africa and shooting me a fucking lion, rhino, and elephant just to piss the PETAtards off (and to say I gave hundreds of thousands of dollars to conservation while I was at it)
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Lions aren't endangered.
View Quote
Yeah, I thought I was missing something when reading that post.

Besides, I like dogs and couldn't give 2 shits about a lion.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lions aren't endangered.

And?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#18]
If it wasn't for people paying to shoot lions they would be extinct.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder what lion tastes like.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like Chinese food.  Just with bigger pieces.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:32:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been saying the same thing since Bruce Gender went public.  Iran's getting a nuke, the JV team's taken over 1/2 the middle east. FUCK NO IT'S CELEBRATE DIVERSITY MONTH. Who gives a fuck if there's 2 - 3 doz potential terrorist on U.S soil. WE Need to Open  Dialogue how peoples feels are hurt because they're not like most of us.  

SQUIRREL
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:07:47 AM EDT
[#23]
the liberals cried when a hunter paid $300K to hunt an old Rhino a few months ago.

and when the cheerleader posted her kills, they cried so much.

but its A OK to kill millions of unborn babies every year.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If the MSM didn't have Cecil to talk about, they would only have uncomfortable silence while they refused to mention Planned Parenthood.

View Quote

It just gives them a story so they don't have to cover the bad things that the left and muslims are doing
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It just gives them a story so they don't have to cover the bad things that the left and muslims are doing
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

14er gets it.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:30:03 AM EDT
[#26]
It's where ratings driven media and Idiocracy meet Disney induced anthropomorphism.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:34:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Only an imbecile would make a big stink about that stupid lion. A lion that they just found out about for the first time 48 hours ago.

Oh, wait wait wait, I bet some of you like animals better than people anyway, so this totally justifies the whitewashing of baby butchery and isis.

Because we all know that was on the forefront of these whacko lion lovers minds before we found out about cecil.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Industrialized nations waste a lot of food.   http://www.worldfooddayusa.org/food_waste_the_facts

How much of that food is meat?  How many animals are killed every year so some "full" westerners can throw them in a garbage can?  

Kinda makes putting a lion's head on the wall a bit trivial doesn't it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:40:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:45:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Planned Parenthood of the Pride Lands.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Most people have no idea how many Africans are killed by the various predators every year.  

And all these "Poor Cecil" assholes couldn't give a fuck.

Now, if it was one of Kanye & Kim's offspring that got scarfed down by a big cat, holy shit, it would be like dividing by zero.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:14:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lions aren't endangered.

And?

And feelz.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might. I've always wanted to hunt lion.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Heck yeah.  Good on him for having the funds and desire to hunt in Africa.

i'd have killed it too and grilled his nuts in a youtube video just to piss off the pillow biters.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#35]
LIONS CAN'T MELT STEEL!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can hang out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lions aren't endangered.

He was old.  He was gonna die soon anyway.  If he died naturally, no one made any money.  Look at all the money being generated by his death now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too. And elephant. And leopard. And rhino and hippo. And above all, Cape Buffalo.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Me too. And elephant. And leopard. And rhino and hippo. And above all, Cape Buffalo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my fantasy, I'll be doing this with a handgun.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And feelz.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lions aren't endangered.

And?

And feelz.

#blackmanesmatter
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:59:42 AM EDT
[#41]
So while everyone is watching the left hand... What's the right hand doing...?

Off the top of my head...

Iran deal
Iran orders a boat load of planes
planned parenthood
bin laden not dead & bin laden family plane crashes
Everyone ignoreS Hilary

Nope, not media manipulation.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#42]
If the hunter or the guides baited Cecil out of a preserve I can understand why folks are upset . Poor behavior

All these folks on face book fail to understand that if they are successful in their quest to end trophy hunting there will be no preserves and no conservation efforts . Generally no African countries have any dollars to budget for such things .

I would think this effort may well mark the end of the rarer animals such as Rhinos and Elephants.

Same as in this country , The majority of preservation and conservation dollars come directly and indirectly from the hunters and fisherman
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Zimbabwe’s Mugabe condemns ‘white’ safaris, eats baby elephant at birthday bash

and two buffalos, five impalas, two sables, and mounts of a lion and croc

Did we do a thread on this back in March when it was written up? I'm sure our peta folks protested this loudly demanding we extradite him to the U.S. for criminal trial.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#44]
In other news the Mahoney Twins, Leo and Ralph; have been indicted for the murder of Sylvester the Zebra.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So while everyone is watching the left hand... What's the right hand doing...?

Off the top of my head...

Iran deal
Iran orders a boat load of planes
planned parenthood
bin laden not dead & bin laden family plane crashes
Everyone ignoreS Hilary

Nope, not media manipulation.
View Quote

Say what?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dogs are on our team.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#47]
"Why are the Americans more concerned than us?" said Joseph Mabuwa, a 33-year-old father-of-two cleaning his car in the centre of the capital. "We never hear them speak out when brothers are killed by gangbangers and dealers in Chicago." "
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Pretty much reality though, as damn near every animal does everything it can to kill lion cubs. Especially elephants though, who've made cub stomping a sport.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#49]
I don't care that much about it.  If the guy broke their laws, he should face their punishment.   Same as here.  If a Zimbabwean came here and killed an endangered species like a clean-living, hard-working illegal, out of season, he'd have to stand tall before the man.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Are lions racist if they eat Africans?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top