Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:06:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
uh why wouldn't the perp be liable?

does "good faith" mean anything to you?
View Quote

It does, but this situation may or may not be covered under it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:25:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Out here, they aren't even legally liable when they cross in to a bike lane and kill someone while the officer is fucking around with the MDS. So, no, good faith and all that.

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20140827/in-calabasas-death-of-cyclist-milton-olin-no-charges-against-typing-deputy
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:55:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So, uh, what's a good way to avoid being spotted/tracked by a helicopter? I mean, other than obeying the law.  Asking for a friend, of course...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is kind of a tough one.

On one hand, can the cops really be expected to foresee this kind of thing? What exactly does their policy say on the deployment of stop sticks?

On the other hand, the one witness did have a point. The cops probably could have backed off sooner, and let the bird work. The helicopter would have had no problem tracking these guys, they were in a fucking wood grained PT Cruiser for crying out lout.

As a LE helicopter pilot, I can assure you that we (the air unit) lose people all the time.  It should never be assumed that just because a helicopter is involved in the chase, that there's no way the bad guy will get away.  It's just not that easy.

Cops are in a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation.  Should they just let a car-jacking suspect get away?  What if the suspect also shot and killed someone--how about then?  It's a question each agency asks themselves when they write, or re-write their pursuit policy.  Ours changed years ago when a chase of a stolen vehicle resulted in the death of a teenager who was riding in a van who just happened to be in town for a little league game.  After that, violent forcible felonies only. The bad part about a car chase is that it nearly always ends in a crash--either the suspect, the cops, innocent motorists, or all three.  I don't know what the answer is.

So, uh, what's a good way to avoid being spotted/tracked by a helicopter? I mean, other than obeying the law.  Asking for a friend, of course...

Hiding from or getting away from the helicopter is easy. Trees, tall buildings, other vehicles, parking garages, anything that blocks my view of the suspect vehicle can cause me to lose the target--especially at night. I'd say if I am overhead when the chase starts ( which is rare), there's about a 75% chance I'll catch the bad guy. If I am not overhead when the chase starts, there's a good chance i will never even find the car ( seems like they are always a beige passenger car or something that is super common). One of the most common reasons I lose a car, or FLIR target is because I am working in controlled airspace, and I have to move to allow a commercial flight to come in. If the chase is already over, and the bad guy has already  bailed out, there's probably a 20% chance we will catch him. We lose far more bad guys than we catch.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If the chase is already over, and the bad guy has already  bailed out, there's probably a 20% chance we will catch him.
View Quote

But I thought FLIR was like having X-ray vision and could see through everything
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:24:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

But I thought FLIR was like having X-ray vision and could see through everything
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the chase is already over, and the bad guy has already  bailed out, there's probably a 20% chance we will catch him.

LOL. I blame Kylo, the Supreme Court, and 'God' from the movie Navy SEALs for everyone who believes that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:40:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Video won't play, but the article doesn't mention stop sticks.  Also says that the chase was off and police cars were a distance away when the bad guy wrecked.  So what are we talking about?
View Quote
That's code for CMA.

The pursuit is "officially" over but still maintain visual on the perp's vehicle.

Next radio traffic will be you drove up on an accident or abandoned vehicle.

This was the unofficial SOP at depts I've worked for.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Im not a cop and I dont think they are infallable (sp?) But what should they do? The chopper alone wont catch the individuals.  The cop that smoked that guy in Ohio probably prevented a situation like this only taking out the guy with an open gin bottle and hes charged as a criminal.  These guys are trying to stop a pursuit, its on the criminals terms he's leading it, and people say this resolution is the cops fault.  Ok just let them all go they will probably get tired of getting away with it and quit.
View Quote

What should the cops do you say?.......

.........smile and wave boys.......smile and wave
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Multiple people suffered property damage, and other drivers were injured.  I assume they care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

meh who cares, the only people that died were the ones who stole it

Multiple people suffered property damage, and other drivers were injured.  I assume they care.
Only people responsible in such situations are the people who's criminal activities cause the stop sticks to be deployed.  

Unless they were deployed in error.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

As a LE helicopter pilot, I can assure you that we (the air unit) lose people all the time.  It should never be assumed that just because a helicopter is involved in the chase, that there's no way the bad guy will get away.  It's just not that easy.

Cops are in a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation.  Should they just let a car-jacking suspect get away?  What if the suspect also shot and killed someone--how about then?  It's a question each agency asks themselves when they write, or re-write their pursuit policy.  Ours changed years ago when a chase of a stolen vehicle resulted in the death of a teenager who was riding in a van who just happened to be in town for a little league game.  After that, violent forcible felonies only. The bad part about a car chase is that it nearly always ends in a crash--either the suspect, the cops, innocent motorists, or all three.  I don't know what the answer is.

View Quote
Surplus AC-130s?

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only people responsible in such situations are the people who's criminal activities cause the stop sticks to be deployed.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With an argument like that, cops can do whatever they want during the commission of a crime, including shooting at paper delivery people who drive a truck somewhat similar to to a vehicle you're looking for.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#11]
"But for" the police negligence, the innocent would not have been injured.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cops kind of can't win when it comes to some douche who speeds off
View Quote

Yep.  They back off and do nothing, perp runs over some baby stroller, everything would blame the cops for doing nothing.  They throw out stop sticks, car flips into a baby stroller, everyone would blame the cops for doing something.

IMO 100% of the responsibility for whatever happens is on the perp.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Surplus AC-130s?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surplus AC-130s?  

'Surplus AC-130s' is ALWAYS the answer. Regardless of the question.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Police pursuits are like global thermonuclear war.  The only winning move is not to play.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

On one hand, can the cops really be expected to foresee this kind of thing? What exactly does their policy say on the deployment of stop sticks?

On the other hand, the one witness did have a point. The cops probably could have backed off sooner, and let the bird work. The helicopter would have had no problem tracking these guys, they were in a fucking wood grained PT Cruiser for crying out lout.
View Quote
Carjacking is an extremely violent crime where the victim is often killed.

Backing off and chasing with the bird is likely to just allow a second victim, one with video evidence for their family to use in court this time as the bird watches them jack someone else from traffic.

They should just shoot carjackers from the bird and get it over with, it's a continuing violent felony in progress after all..
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Police pursuits are like global thermonuclear war.  The only winning move is not to play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always easier to justify taking no action.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
With an argument like that, cops can do whatever they want during the commission of a crime, including shooting at paper delivery people who drive a truck somewhat similar to to a vehicle you're looking for.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do not believe you have any sort of grasp of the English language.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Backing off and chasing with the bird is likely to just allow a second victim, one with video evidence for their family to use in court this time as the bird watches them jack someone else from traffic.

They should just shoot carjackers from the bird and get it over with, it's a continuing violent felony in progress after all..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would assume shooting from a helicopter isn't as easy as in the movies.

Plus qualifications would be interesting on the firing line.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#19]
So the carjacker and his hoe died?  ZERO FUCKS GIVEN.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm 99% positive they backed off because there were stop sticks ahead, not because they were worried about public safety.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 99% positive they backed off because there were stop sticks ahead, not because they were worried about public safety.

Seems like you already have this all locked up in your mind the cops are guilty.... why bother looking for opinions and arguments?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even more so when agency policy explicitly states that choosing not to engage in or discontinuing a pursuit can never be criticized or disciplined.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
who steals a pt cruiser?
View Quote

+87
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easier?

Hell, they built it into the pursuit guidelines!

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
who steals a pt cruiser?
View Quote

That was my thought as well. Those are some ugly ass cars. He must have been desperate... or retarded. or both.

I feel bad for the innocent people that were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of the people involved, which ones broke the law and created this situation?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Perp's dead, and probably some low life scum with no money.  City govt has deep pockets.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perp's dead, and probably some low life scum with no money.  City govt has deep pockets.  

Shell oil has deep pockets too, probably drove past one of their stations.
You can sue anyone, doesn't make them liable
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#27]
The police will be sued even if they were not involved at all.  I've seen that several times.

Anyone want to bet the car owner uses the insurance money to buy another PT Cruiser?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Shake the sand out bud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's been shown time and time again that cops are never liable for their actions.

I await the blue line brigade to crash in.

Shake the sand out bud.

But he enjoys the feeling so much.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watch the movie Drive.  That's has good documentary footage on how to avoid ground and air units.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

The only thing I care about is making the piece of shit's families pay (only if they deny their babies didn't do nothing) for my medical bills and car repairs because obviously they couldn't raise their crotcfruit.

Secondly, I would be high fiving the police for finishing the job.

Blame the cops for a couple of idiot criminals who stole a car?  What next?  Are you going to sue gun makers if your firearm is used in a crime?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Really?

The only thing I care about is making the piece of shit's families pay (only if they deny their babies didn't do nothing) for my medical bills and car repairs because obviously they couldn't raise their crotcfruit.

Blame the cops for a couple of idiot criminals who stole a car?  What next?  Are you going to sue gun makers if your firearm is used in a crime?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Are you even aware of the story?  No one is blaming them for a guy stealing a car.  The question is liability when their actions cause undue turmoil to innocent bystanders.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Was this one of your videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Bkk7pmFdU
View Quote
my dog would have peed on the body.  I wonder if K9s ever do anything like that?

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Are you even aware of the story?  No one is blaming them for a guy stealing a car.  The question is liability when their actions cause undue turmoil to innocent bystanders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

I am.  Liabilities are placed on the criminals actions.

If the criminal wasn't being a criminal, none of this would have occurred.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#37]
No.  There is no safe way to stop a criminal bent on driving unsafely.  There was a televised chase here a few nights ago - there was a thread - that went on FAR too long with police apparently unwilling to take necessary measures to stop the perp.  He was careening through residential areas and places with lots of pedestrians.  A lot of people could have been killed.  He finally rolled after the state police got involved and nudged his car from the rear.   That should have happened much earlier in the chase.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No.  There is no safe way to stop a criminal bent on driving unsafely.  There was a televised chase here a few nights ago - there was a thread - that went on FAR too long with police apparently unwilling to take necessary measures to stop the perp.  He was careening through residential areas and places with lots of pedestrians.  A lot of people could have been killed.  He finally rolled after the state police got involved and nudged his car from the rear.   That should have happened much earlier in the chase.
View Quote

Cars touching cars?

Not happening here in NJ.

Even road blocks need an avenue of escape, and can only be deployed when deadly force would otherwise be allowed.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Police officers are almost never held personally accountable for their actions. At best, tax payer funds are used to shut up victims and the cop gets fired. It is a very rare circumstance where a cop is held accountable in the same way that a private citizen would be. They are held to a much lower standard than the rest of us.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good faith probably does apply in a case like this, but unfortunately, the dickless fuckpockets also hide behind it when they blow up a baby or kill people when they break into the "wrong" home. There should be no good faith protection for negligent or unconstitutional behavior.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Police officers are almost never held personally accountable for their actions. At best, tax payer funds are used to shut up victims and the cop gets fired. It is a very rare circumstance where a cop is held accountable in the same way that a private citizen would be. They are held to a much lower standard than the rest of us.
View Quote

Some animals are equal than others.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Let's just arrest people who don't run and surrender peacefully.  I mean, what's the worst that could happen.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Cars touching cars?
Even road blocks need an avenue of escape, and can only be deployed when deadly force would otherwise be allowed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cars touching cars?

No touching car to car and zero road blocks for us.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cars touching cars?

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Of course the police could have handled this a different way: Plumhoff v. Rickard - they could have shot the shit out of them, both of them, and the USSC would be ZFG
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#47]
This was a good crash.  PT cruisers are very popular with criminals here in Atlanta
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#48]
There is an established risk when using stop sticks.  That isn't a guarantee that something will or will not happen, but an established high probability of unpredictability.  Knowing this, stopping traffic from both directions before deploying them would make more sense than just blindly deploying them.  That's where the question of liability comes in since there are other agencies do take that care.

If I defibrillate someone without clearing the body, and shock someone else, I just bought that liability for me and/or my agency, not the patient in cardiac arrest, and there is an established risk with defibrillators that forces me to be aware of others that may be placed in harms way with their use.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There is an established risk when using stop sticks.  That isn't a guarantee that something will or will not happen, but an established high probability of unpredictability.  Knowing this, stopping traffic from both directions before deploying them would make more sense than just blindly deploying them.  That's where the question of liability comes in since there are other agencies do take that care.

If I defibrillate someone without clearing the body, and shock someone else, I just bought that liability for me and/or my agency, not the patient in cardiac arrest, and there is an established risk with defibrillators that forces me to be aware of others that may be placed in harms way with their use.
View Quote

You don't really understand pursuit intervention devices, but please tell us more.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm not seeing the part of this story where "stop sticks" were used. Or where the cops did anything wrong. Some crackhead stole a PT Cruiser while the woman who owns it was washing it, then drove like a crackhead and crashed.

Am I missing something here?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top