Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
meh who cares, the only people that died were the ones who stole it
View Quote

Multiple people suffered property damage, and other drivers were injured.  I assume they care.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't see anything about stop sticks in the article
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
uh why wouldn't the perp be liable?

does "good faith" mean anything to you?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Perp's dead, and probably some low life scum with no money.  City govt has deep pockets.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will bet the woman the van hit has lifelong issues from the crash.....let alone the property damage....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]
who steals a pt cruiser?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

glad he's dead
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I didn't see anything about stop sticks in the article
View Quote

It says it in the video.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn all that over a pt cruiser
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Carjacked a fucking PT Cruiser?

Good sticking. PT cruisers are justification for the use of lethal force.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Perp's dead, and probably some low life scum with no money.  City govt has deep pockets.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

fuck that.

his living relatives should be made to work off the damages.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
who steals a pt cruiser?
View Quote

LMFAO and not just any old PT.  They went for the wood grain.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

fuck that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fuck that.

LOL, send them to debters prison.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Seems irresponsible with potential oncoming traffic
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

fuck that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fuck that.

Your not suppose to drink the bong water bud.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Seems irresponsible with potential oncoming traffic
View Quote

There reasonable space for argument that stop sticks weren't the only means they had available to handle this.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#21]
The police are never liable, the citizens who employ the police are the ones who foot the bill.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#22]
If the perp wouldn't have stolen such a shitty car, he wouldn't have lost control post stop sticks. Chryslers fault for sure.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Video won't play, but the article doesn't mention stop sticks.  Also says that the chase was off and police cars were a distance away when the bad guy wrecked.  So what are we talking about?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#24]
My old agency got into a pursuit, and as they were going into a city, the city agency was kind of enough to lay out spike strips..

Well after seeing lights approaching, city officer deployed spikes, getting one of suspects tires.  Said officer jumped into his unit and took off pursuing the suspect leaving his spikes in the roadway

Took out all 4 tires of the primary officers unit, 1 of secondary unit and 3 of motorist driving before county units removed the cities spikes.......  Thank God no one was hurt including the motorist, but the city got to pay for 8 tires...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Video won't play, but the article doesn't mention stop sticks.  Also says that the chase was off and police cars were a distance away when the bad guy wrecked.  So what are we talking about?
View Quote

Sounds like you you need the video.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#26]
who was the perp?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#27]
This is kind of a tough one.

On one hand, can the cops really be expected to foresee this kind of thing? What exactly does their policy say on the deployment of stop sticks?

On the other hand, the one witness did have a point. The cops probably could have backed off sooner, and let the bird work. The helicopter would have had no problem tracking these guys, they were in a fucking wood grained PT Cruiser for crying out lout.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#28]
It's been shown time and time again that cops are never liable for their actions.

I await the blue line brigade to crash in.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

On one hand, can the cops really be expected to foresee this kind of thing? What exactly does their policy say on the deployment of stop sticks?

On the other hand, the one witness did have a point. The cops probably could have backed off sooner, and let the bird work. The helicopter would have had no problem tracking these guys, they were in a fucking wood grained PT Cruiser for crying out lout.

View Quote

I'm 99% positive they backed off because there were stop sticks ahead, not because they were worried about public safety.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Multiple people suffered property damage, and other drivers were injured.  I assume they care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Caring and being liable are different.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, got it to work.  Makes no sense.  If they called off the chase, why was anyone ahead of the fleeing vehicle with stop sticks?  No point in deploying those if no one is close for the end of the thing.  If the guy wrecked on his own, whatever.  If he wrecked on his own, on purpose, but after sticks, department will pay some money.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm 99% positive they backed off because there were stop sticks ahead, not because they were worried about public safety.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There would be radio traffic recorded.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Now that's a fine looking car.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a LE helicopter pilot, I can assure you that we (the air unit) lose people all the time.  It should never be assumed that just because a helicopter is involved in the chase, that there's no way the bad guy will get away.  It's just not that easy.

Cops are in a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation.  Should they just let a car-jacking suspect get away?  What if the suspect also shot and killed someone--how about then?  It's a question each agency asks themselves when they write, or re-write their pursuit policy.  Ours changed years ago when a chase of a stolen vehicle resulted in the death of a teenager who was riding in a van who just happened to be in town for a little league game.  After that, violent forcible felonies only. The bad part about a car chase is that it nearly always ends in a crash--either the suspect, the cops, innocent motorists, or all three.  I don't know what the answer is.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol crackers be so ignorant

"Hey Jenkins, your son owes like 50k in property damages.  If you don't pay, your credit is fucked"

"WTF is credit fool?"

Yeah, I'm sure the perp's family is really sorry and is going to work his low-end jobs for thirty years to make sure the victims get restitution.

Seriously.  White people think this.  Don't wonder why the country is in the toilet.  Seriously.   Perp's family gonna pay.  LOL  and Romney's gonna beat Obama.  Can't make this shit up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Im not a cop and I dont think they are infallable (sp?) But what should they do? The chopper alone wont catch the individuals.  The cop that smoked that guy in Ohio probably prevented a situation like this only taking out the guy with an open gin bottle and hes charged as a criminal.  These guys are trying to stop a pursuit, its on the criminals terms he's leading it, and people say this resolution is the cops fault.  Ok just let them all go they will probably get tired of getting away with it and quit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#37]
That is one unsightly lesbian, her nostrils are just right in your face.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Backed off" is correct term, but not "trailing".  It is advisable to increase the distance between the suspect vehicle and the pursuit vehicle when approaching the deployment location.  It is easily done by coming of the gas a bit opening the gap between the suspect and pursuit vehicle.  

" />
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#39]
In Nebraska (and only Nebraska has this statute) the police (government subdivision that employes them anyway) are liable for all damage caused during a police pursuit.  Third party's car gets hit, police pay.  Third party's fence gets driven through, police pay.  Passenger in the vehicle being chased gets hurt when they crash, police pay.  The only exception is if you can show that the passenger in the vehicle being pursued actively participated and encouraged the driver to flee.

Oh, and as far as calling off the pursuit.  Unless there is a significant amount of time and distance involved between the police shutting off the lights and sirens and whatever event lead to the damage, police are still gonna pay.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

"Hey Jenkins, your son owes like 50k in property damages.  If you don't pay, your credit is fucked"

"WTF is credit fool?"

Yeah, I'm sure the perp's family is really sorry and is going to work his low-end jobs for thirty years to make sure the victims get restitution.

Seriously.  White people think this.  Don't wonder why the country is in the toilet.  Seriously.   Perp's family gonna pay.  LOL  and Romney's gonna beat Obama.  Can't make this shit up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"WTF is credit fool?"

Who's white? Me? Try again.

And I'm not saying it would happen. Just that it should.

Lot of fucking ASSumptions in your bullshit reply.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fuck that.

What, you disagree, Johnny Reb?

It should happen. Not would.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

"WTF is credit fool?"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"WTF is credit fool?"

ROFL

Ahhhhhhh so true......they don't think or act like normal people do
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#43]
I wish we could make the perp work on making big rocks into little rocks to pay for his crimes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:11:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
who steals a pt cruiser?
View Quote

Death wish. Regardless of stopsticks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:11:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

fuck that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fuck that.

This is retarded as fuck...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:15:13 AM EDT
[#46]
I wonder what the nice upstanding young boy who stole that car could have done to prevent that?

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:21:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Liable for what?  Why blame the police for the actions of fleeing felons?

Of course they can be sued....that's why they have insurance companies.

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=1018&issue_id=102006

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:26:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As a LE helicopter pilot, I can assure you that we (the air unit) lose people all the time.  It should never be assumed that just because a helicopter is involved in the chase, that there's no way the bad guy will get away.  It's just not that easy.

Cops are in a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation.  Should they just let a car-jacking suspect get away?  What if the suspect also shot and killed someone--how about then?  It's a question each agency asks themselves when they write, or re-write their pursuit policy.  Ours changed years ago when a chase of a stolen vehicle resulted in the death of a teenager who was riding in a van who just happened to be in town for a little league game.  After that, violent forcible felonies only. The bad part about a car chase is that it nearly always ends in a crash--either the suspect, the cops, innocent motorists, or all three.  I don't know what the answer is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, uh, what's a good way to avoid being spotted/tracked by a helicopter? I mean, other than obeying the law.  Asking for a friend, of course...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:33:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Can we hold you liable for all these threads?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:38:14 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

It's been shown time and time again that cops are never liable for their actions.

I await the blue line brigade to crash in.
View Quote

I'm 99% positive that you're not held liable for bullshit.

See how that works?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top