What was the Antikythera mechanism?

How were the Great Pyramids built?

Quoted:

...so many.  
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Gobekli Tepe.   They are farther back in time from Sumer than Sumer is from us.  Think about that one for a while.

which leads to my favorite mystery, what civilizations lived on Ice Age Earth before the ice melted and flooded the coastlines/waterways, covering up their traces?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Many of my favorites already mentioned but I often wonder about the Clinton body count, especially Vince Foster.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Amelia Earhart disappearance. I would love it if someone found her plane intact under the water somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why is there only one of them?

Who made it?

How did they make it when everything we know about them deems them incapable of building it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Antikythera Mechanism

I don't know what's so mysterious about it. It's a mechanism for keeping time or navigation... Or both.

It's neat as hell, but not so mysterious.

Who made it?

How did they make it when everything we know about them deems them incapable of building it?

My guess? The rest of them are on the bottom of the ocean, broken for trinkets, or otherwise destroyed. The ONE that has been found, that we know of, is almost totally decomposed.

It may have been new tech for the time, and cost prohibitive for other seafarers to use. Or too complicated.

Also, perhaps a sextant type device came about shortly after and simplified the math for both time and navigation.

It's definitely a neat item, and would be cool as hell to know how it worked.

Then again, it's probably alien tech and I'm reading too much into it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I want to know with 100% evidence based fact who killed Jonbenet Ramsey.

And the Black Dahlia.

I love threads like this. I learn so much stuff about 'mysteries' around the world and then spend days researching it and being stumped.
View Quote

The interesting thing is that there is a guy with a theory that both killers are the same man, who was also Zodiac, the Atlanta Child Murderer, and the Lover's Lane "hook" murderer of the 50's: Edward Wayne Edwards. His specialty was supposed to be framing other people for the murders he committed. It's an intriguing theory, not sure I buy it though.

http://coldcasecameron.com/
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He was blind the whole time. The bible is in Braille.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was he really blind the whole time?

Since you brought it up. No I don't think so and don't understand why people on here think he was. At the end yes but not the whole time.

Finally! Someone else on here with some common sense!

It is painfully obvious throughout the movie that he is NOT blind, he only goes blind ( from exposure to UV radiation) at the end.

A full Bible in brail is over 20 volumes. It didn't matter wether he was blind or not, what did was that the Bible was within him. His mental acuity is his real "superpower".
Daniel
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The Oak Island treasure/money pit.
View Quote
Came here to post this.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Tossup between:

- Who wrote the Voynich manuscript, when, and why? What does it actually say?

or

- Who built the Nova Scotia Treasure Well, when, and why? What's down there?
View Quote
These bother me as well

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

JFK.  Big mystery of my lifetime
View Quote

Pretty sure he was shot in Dallas and buried in Arlington FYI.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Linear A, the one language no one on earth has been able to decipher.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Lately I've been reading all I can about the "Missing 411" series by David Paulides.

Creepy shit.
View Quote

What do you think happened?

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lately I've been reading all I can about the "Missing 411" series by David Paulides.

Creepy shit.

I've been trying to find a kindle or pdf version of the book but no one seems to sell it.   Amazon has the paperback for $130
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Roswell.

A friend, who's dad was in the OSS swore on his deathbed to his son it was aliens.
View Quote

I tend to agree
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Why my wonderful wife married a slug like me and why she has yet to kick me to the curb during the past 42 years.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#18]
STENDEC
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Amelia Earhart disappearance. I would love it if someone found her plane intact under the water somewhere.
View Quote

I believe they found her plane this year.

ETA: part of it.
http://news.discovery.com/history/us-history/aluminum-fragment-appears-to-belong-to-earharts-plane-141028.htm
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The reviews of his books seem to be a mixed bag.

Is he pretty straight forward with the facts or is he a little "tin foil hat-ish"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Creepy shit.

I'm going to get his "Devil is in the Details" book soon.  Completed the West and East Coast books.  Yes, very strange.

The reviews of his books seem to be a mixed bag.

Is he pretty straight forward with the facts or is he a little "tin foil hat-ish"?

A movie is being made

Kickstarter 411

Here's a link to some panoramic photographs of a few Missing 411 cases - Vistaramic Journeys

Read the Christopher Tompkins case.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've been trying to find a kindle or pdf version of the book but no one seems to sell it.   Amazon has the paperback for $130
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Creepy shit.

You can buy the books here, less expensive than Amazon
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My guess? The rest of them are on the bottom of the ocean, broken for trinkets, or otherwise destroyed. The ONE that has been found, that we know of, is almost totally decomposed.

It may have been new tech for the time, and cost prohibitive for other seafarers to use. Or too complicated.

Also, perhaps a sextant type device came about shortly after and simplified the math for both time and navigation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Antikythera Mechanism

I don't know what's so mysterious about it. It's a mechanism for keeping time or navigation... Or both.

Who made it?

I want to know about the people who built it. If they could make that, it follows that they could make some other pretty impressive machines. No other evidence of this culture exists. You'd think the Roman Army would have sent a note to the Senate about how they just slaughtered all these cool people with all this neat stuff. At least they would have written SPQR on it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Woman
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Why Firefly was only on for one season.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Who made it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Antikythera Mechanism

Who made it?

Smart motherfucker who took his time. Answers all your questions.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why Firefly was only on for one season.
View Quote

That one is easy.

Because McFarlane's 'Family Guy' was considered a bigger money maker by the FOX executives, even though no one really likes his shows anymore.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Roswell.

A friend, who's dad was in the OSS swore on his deathbed to his son it was aliens.
View Quote
My uncle was there and said the same thing.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A full Bible in brail is over 20 volumes. It didn't matter wether he was blind or not, what did was that the Bible was within him. His mental acuity is his real "superpower".
Daniel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you brought it up. No I don't think so and don't understand why people on here think he was. At the end yes but not the whole time.

It is painfully obvious throughout the movie that he is NOT blind, he only goes blind ( from exposure to UV radiation) at the end.

Daniel
not if its in microbraille
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Gobekli Tepe.   They are farther back in time from Sumer than Sumer is from us.  Think about that one for a while.

which leads to my favorite mystery, what civilizations lived on Ice Age Earth before the ice melted and flooded the coastlines/waterways, covering up their traces?
View Quote

It's interesting that Plato IIRC, talked about Atlantis demise being 10-12,000years before his time and that coincides with our records of the last ice age melting.

Look into Graham Hancocks works about ancient civilizations. I think that there were some fairly advanced ones that have dissapeared due to climate changes
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have seen them with me on eyes.  They are real.  They are not ball lighting.  And when they paralyze you when they get close.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Brown Mountain Lights............

I have seen them with me on eyes.  They are real.  They are not ball lighting.  And when they paralyze you when they get close.  

They paralyze you??
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Oak Island treasure/money pit.
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why did I go to law school
View Quote

And this....  

Where did I go wrong...
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Brown Mountain lights I've never heard of.. But thats creepy, I was just in

Cherokee!
View Quote

They are like the Marfa Lights in Texas.  Mysterious and unexplained
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Brown Mountain lights I've never heard of.. But thats creepy, I was just in
Cherokee!
View Quote

You're in NC and never heard of the Brown Mountain lights?

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Why people keep buying Dodges
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A local one;

The Green Monster
View Quote

My dad was born and raised in Clay (Bickmore, actually).   He remembers hearing about that as a teenager.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been out to the GA Guidestones many times. I always time it so that I can see the sun shine through the hole around noontime. You always know what day it is because of how the sun hits. There is a time capsule buried underneath part of it but the date to retrieve it was purposely left blank. There are quite a few misspellings overall and the "rules" listed there talk about population control, valuing beauty, being in harmony with nature, having social duties, and creating a new language for all of humanity.

I know they are just stones but you do get an overall creepy feeling out there. I don't know why.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

D.B. Cooper
View Quote
This

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#39]
DB Cooper
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Creepy shit.

jks, many theories, but what's so strange about a good deal of these cases is that people just vanish.  The children that are missing really breaks your heart.  Some are found alive, some are found dead and others...not a trace.  Some kids (2-4 years old) are found or are last seen miles from where they were reported lost.  Some of the common denominators in this mystery are:

1. Tracking dogs can't pick up a scent or refuse to track, or even refuse to enter the area where the person was last seen
2. Berries  
3. Severe weather limiting search and rescue personnel immediately after the disappearance
4. Dogs go missing with their owners, but most return  
5. Clothing-SAR personnel may find one sock, shoes or underwear but nothing else
6. Lots of "red-tape" as far as the National Park Service is concerned and the lack of cooperation from the agency
7. No signs of a struggle, fight or trauma from encounters with feral animals
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Lizzie Bordon... She was acquitted at trial. So did she do it? If not, who did?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#42]
g spot
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Isdal Woman.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No Jack the Ripper?
View Quote

I think that's solved.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think that's solved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No Jack the Ripper?

I think that's solved.

Who do you think "Jack" was? I was watching a documentary the other day and one investigator thought it might have been H.H. Holmes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#46]
RE missing 411 book both he and Noory advise that websites sell it for a rip off. They say to buy it from Paulides directly or indirectly through c2c.

As a crime scene investigator/ cop and former scientist I like the fact that he won't talk about his theories... Even though it is extremely frustrating.  I wonder if the answer is so far beyond our acceptance that people would discount him altogether.  He does say that many theories fit somewhat, but no one theory fits completely...

In other news I really find fascinating Edward Leedskalnin (coral castle),  Robert the doll, Michigan dog man, Zana, and the works of John Mack,MD & David Jacobs,PhD.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Who do you think "Jack" was? I was watching a documentary the other day and one investigator thought it might have been H.H. Holmes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No Jack the Ripper?

I think that's solved.

Maybe not solved. Never really followed up after all this DNA business but here:

http://theconversation.com/still-a-mystery-dna-hasnt-named-jack-the-ripper-after-all-33312

Holmes? That ones interesting, the MO isn't really the same I don't think but I'd like to hear more.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe they found her plane this year.

ETA: part of it.
http://news.discovery.com/history/us-history/aluminum-fragment-appears-to-belong-to-earharts-plane-141028.htm

No.  This is just another fraudulent fundraiser so Ric Gilespie, head of the "The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery" (which has, to my knowledge, never recovered a historic aircraft OR anything verified to be associated with Amelia Earhart) can rent a boat and go to Nikumaroro/Gardner Island,... and pay his bills.

He has, in the past, claimed to have found:

AE's freckle cream jar
AE's shoe heel
A piece of the Lockheed's floor
A piece of the Lockheed's plexiglass
A finger bone
Fred Noonan's (her navigator's) bookshelf

Etc,

It never pans out, but the "initial discovery" gets him press, and donations, and no one ever hears the results or retractions.

He basically makes his living off this shit.  Plus once he sent an email to everyone on the TIGHAR list (by mistake, obviously ...) explaining how Republicans and conservatives were stupid.

As to this particular piece of aluminum, no one has ever been able to find an aluminum sheet stenciled in this fashion made before 1940 or so, which kinda rules this out.  Plus the islanders settled there were known to take metal from wrecks on other island back here to make combs and stuff.  How do we know?  That is how "Fred Noonan's bookshelf" got there from a crashed B-24.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Isdal Woman.
View Quote

Interesting! Thank you for mentioning this one, I had never heard of her case. This seems to have some superficial resembalnce to the Talman Shud case.

So were these mysterious people a few super spies? Maybe we need to ask Tommy101 over in the other thread if these two were a couple of time travellers who screwed up and were "removed"!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know two people who can read braille and both of them can see just fine.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top