Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 7/30/2015 1:03:25 PM EDT
New Jersey state trooper shot at unarmed teens after they mistakenly knocked on his door: officials

An off-duty New Jersey state trooper chased after three unarmed teenagers and shot at them early Sunday after they accidentally knocked on his door, officials said Wednesday.

Trooper Kissinger Barreau told investigators he believed the teens were trying to break into his Sparta home, CBS New York reported. Police said they are investigating the shooting, but Barreau remains on active duty and hasn’t faced any charges.

One of the teens, 18-year-old Jesse Barkhorn, said he and his friends were dropping people off after a party Sunday. They mistakenly knocked on the trooper’s door, having mistaken it for a friend's house, around 2 a.m., then ran back to their car after they heard a man screaming at them through the door.

As they turned their car around a cul-de-sac, they noticed a red dot following them in the darkness — and realized it was the laser sight of a firearm. Then they saw Barreau standing outside with his personal gun.

“At this point we’re freaking out, ‘It’s a gun, it’s a gun,' ” Barkhorn said.

“I was like, 'Dude, get out of here.’ ”

As they drove away, the trooper gave chase and fired at least three shots at them, with one hitting the car’s front tires.

None of the teens were hit or injured, but all three were found by police about two miles away and kept in custody for more than nine hours before being released without charges.

Barkhorn told NJ.com they were treated as criminal suspects — getting searched repeatedly and handcuffed — and they could tell police dogs and helicopters were used to track them down.

Barreau, who has been on the force for six years, told investigators he identified himself as a police officer as he ran after the car, but Barkhorn said they never heard him say that.
View Quote

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/nj-state-trooper-shot-teens-knocked-door-article-1.2308950

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#1]
How much do NJ Troopers make? That's...a way nicer house than I would have imagined.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Brilliant move, Officer.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brilliant move, Officer.

View Quote

Doesn't seem to be negativity impacting him yet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought the whole point of shooting at people was that you didn't HAVE to chase them

This guy's making it more difficult than it need to be; let the bullets do the work.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Holeeeeeeeee FUK. Hope he likes prison sex.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How much do NJ Troopers make? That's...a way nicer house than I would have imagined.
View Quote

[iStarting Salary
The current starting salary for a trooper is $62,403.60 (including uniform allowance). The second-year total compensation significantly increases to $69,489.30. Top pay for a Trooper I is $108,847.13. Troopers receive yearly increments. All recruits receive $777.78 every two weeks, plus overtime pay. Room and board are also provided while training.][/i]

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/recruit/salary.html
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

They retire as millionaires in NJ.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
That's typical. No charges, if it wasn't a cop that did that, they would have been arrested immediately.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
1) 18 is an adult. Teens makes it seem like they are middle/high school age.

2) cop is a fucking moron. Good termination and possible jail sentence.

But since it's NJ, he will not face charges. He might get promoted. NJSP are far more equal than others.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Well a man needs his sleep
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Holeeeeeeeee FUK. Hope he likes promotion
View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#13]
kid is a punk

weets  Tweets & replies  Photos & videos

Jesse Barkhorn retweeted

Hunter S. Thompson ?@GonzoVice  Jul 29

Graffiti is beautiful; like a brick in the face of a cop.

112 retweets 145 favorites

Reply  Retweet112  Favorite145

More

Jesse Barkhorn retweeted

Jonathan Baker ?@jayybakezz  Jul 27

When people think they're in Compton, but they're actually in Sparta #ripintegra @WhatsAQuap

2 retweets 2 favorites

Reply  Retweet2  Favorite2

More

Jesse Barkhorn ?@WhatsAQuap  Jul 27

Blam Blam fuckin Marksman Narks man @jayybakezz

View conversation 0 retweets 0 favorites

Reply  Retweet  Favorite

More

Jesse Barkhorn retweeted

Jake Hertzberg ?@JakeHertzberg  Jul 27

NEVER PUT THE NARK LOX ON MY FRIENDS. #NOPE

1 retweet 1 favorite

Reply  Retweet1  Favorite1

More

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Holeeeeeeeee FUK. Hope he likes prison sex.
View Quote

Yeah that isn't going to happen. First of all there will be no arrest, even if there was an arrest the prosecutor will ensure it will be no billed by a GJ. If by some act of god neither the police nor the prosecutor stop it, it would then go to a judge. The cop will choose a bench trial and then the judge will find him not guilty. If by a strange set of circumstances things went that far he would still need to be sentenced and would get probation. On the really out there chance that he was sentenced to prison he would be kept in protective custody/segregation so there would be no one to rape him.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Isolated Incident
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Jersey  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
kid is a punkweets  Tweets & replies  Photos & videos
Jesse Barkhorn retweeted
More
Jesse Barkhorn retweeted
When people think they're in Compton, but they're actually in Sparta #ripintegra @WhatsAQuap
2 retweets 2 favorites
More
Reply  Retweet  Favorite
More
Jesse Barkhorn retweeted
1 retweet 1 favorite
More

View Quote

Holy wall of text!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Can I shoot at the next kid that plays ding dong ditch it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
kid is a punkweets  Tweets & replies  Photos & videos
Jesse Barkhorn retweeted
More
Jesse Barkhorn retweeted
2 retweets 2 favorites
More
Reply  Retweet  Favorite
More
Jesse Barkhorn retweeted
1 retweet 1 favorite
More

View Quote

Always more to the story.  Surely little "Johnny" wouldn't lie
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
kid is a punk
View Quote

Remind us again who was running down a street at 2AM tossing shots and who knocked on a door again, officer.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I am not immediately inclined to believe the story of the teenagers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Remind us again who was running down a street at 2AM tossing shots and who knocked on a door again, officer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
kid is a punk

According to the kids, they only knocked on the door.  

If they were dropping people off, at TWO AM, why did they need to knock on the door?  I always leave home without keys....

Again, typical one sided story by the media...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

NJ State trooper investigators do and that is all that matters.

SPARTA — Things don't look good for the off-duty trooper who, authorities say, shot at three teens as they drove away from his Sparta home early Sunday morning, two former northern New Jersey prosecutors say.

There's little that could justify taking deadly force against the fleeing teens, both former Union County Prosecutor Ted Romankow and former Morris County Prosecutor Robert Bianchi said. Romankow is now a defense attorney based in Springfield, and Bianchi the founding partner of a litigation firm.

"This officer should have controlled himself," Romankow said. "To start waving a gun and shooting, I think is beyond the pale."

Although no one has been charged so far, Bianchi speculated the trooper could be hit with any one of several charges, some including years of mandatory prison time.

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.ssf/2015/07/trooper_who_shot_at_fleeing_teens_could_be_in_big.html
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Im sure there is absolutely no more to this story than this article says.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#25]
There is more to this story
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If they were dropping people off, at TWO AM, why did they need to knock on the door?  I always leave home without keys....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
kid is a punk

You don't knock on the door to drop people off. You knock on the door to pick them up. When you're dropping them off, the person being dropped off should know what house they are going to because it is their OWN fucking house.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You don't knock on the door to drop people off. You knock on the door to pick them up. When you're dropping them off, the person being dropped off should know what house they are going to because it is their OWN fucking house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
kid is a punk

Exactly!!!

I wonder if the teens account of "knocking" translates into kicking the door?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do well and he may have got the house at a desperation price five years ago. If that's the house I think it is, the one next to it sold for $590,000 in 2007. He could have got it for $400,000 in 2010. He might have paid three and change.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Around six figures w/o OT, and if they are just considered a "Trooper".

They aren't the highest paid in the state, by a long shot.

I'll make more than them in a few years.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

At 2:00am I bet they were intending to break in but the cop shouldn't have shot at people who might have been breaking in and sure as hell weren't a threat running away. Any non cop would be sitting in a jail cell trying to come up with bond. Shit like this is why I believe police are no longer citizens, because they are held to a different unwritten set of laws.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
kid is a punk

Kids get dropped off at friends houses all the time. Sometimes even friends who's houses they have never been to.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I seriously doubt it. I used to live in that area. It's exurban/rural. The number of urban yoots who live there approaches zero. His biggest fear is if he has a wiener dog, the coyotes will eat it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Aspiring rapper

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I seriously doubt it. I used to live in that area. It's exurban/rural. The number of urban yoots who live there approaches zero. His biggest fear is if he has a wiener dog, the coyotes will eat it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Newton is a bit of a shit place, according to the cops I met who work there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
I thought that SCOTUS said you cannot shoot people for running away?

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't buy the teens story at all.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only in certain circumstances you can.

This isn't one of them.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Over the table, or under the table?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#39]
How is he not in jail right now? Oh yeah, he's got that badge!

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Apparently everybody is White or I would have heard about the riots!

If you or I had done that, WE would be still be in jail!

He was off-duty, why wasn't he charged with discharging a firearm? It was after 10PM, how about disturbing the peace? Or at a minimum, reckless endangerment? Three shoots at a moving car with the only justification, well they knocked on my door at 2AM! Neither is home, property, life, or defense of his family were even remotely at issue IE the innocent teens had already left.

New Jersey does NOT have a stand your ground law, much less a chase after them while shooting law. They actually have a Duty To Retreat Law! No crime was committed so why did he give armed chase and more importantly irresponsibly discharge his firearm?

The officer should be suspended and then charged as any other citizen of the State of New Jersey would be if they had done the same thing!

Now don't get all crazy, I don't agree with what he did but I also don't believe its the end of the world (thank God nobody was hit or died). What I am is sick and tired of LEOs being treat like they are above the law when they of all people should know better because they are tasked with enforcing the law.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#41]
1. Teens are lying little fucks,
2. Deadly force is still an inappropriate response to teens fleeing your property after a cursory casing
3. Lawyer's wet dream - guarantee his department gets named in the civil suit
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

He was off-duty, why wasn't he charged with discharging a firearm? It was after 10PM, how about disturbing the peace? Or at a minimum, reckless endangerment? Three shoots at a moving car with the only justification, well they knocked on my door at 2AM! Neither is home, property, life, or defense of his family were even remotely at issue IE the innocent teens had already left.

New Jersey does NOT have a stand your ground law, much less a chase after them while shooting law. They actually have a Duty To Retreat Law! No crime was committed so why did he give armed chase and more importantly irresponsibly discharge his firearm?

The officer should be suspended and then charged as any other citizen of the State of New Jersey would be if they had done the same thing!

Now don't get all crazy, I don't agree with what he did but I also don't believe its the end of the world (thank God nobody was hit or died). What I am is sick and tired of LEOs being treat like they are above the law when they of all people should know better because they are tasked with enforcing the law.

View Quote

Yea, I take everything the media says as the gospel truth

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, I take everything the media says as the gospel truth

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u373/gbcop9c1/Mobile%20Uploads/C224FBF4-4655-4F99-B0C1-8FBE47BD6899_zpsxlj43bdk.jpg

I heard that a white cop executed a black kid with his hands up in Ferguson Mo.  Did you hear about that?  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That part of Sparta is Hell and gone from Newton, which is absolutely a shithole. The houses run $400,000 to $2,000,000, unless you want a 1960s hatbox that will still cost you $140,000.

Saddle River is closer to Spring Valley than Sparta is to Newton. The crime rates don't transfer.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#45]
In a police state, only the police are armed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#46]
They mistakenly knocked on the trooper’s door, having mistaken it for a friend's house, around 2 a.m.

My ass.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm wondering this as well. Sparta is an uppity town.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.ssf/2015/07/trooper_who_shot_at_fleeing_teens_could_be_in_big.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SPARTA — Things don't look good for the off-duty trooper who, authorities say, shot at three teens as they drove away from his Sparta home early Sunday morning, two former northern New Jersey prosecutors say.

There's little that could justify taking deadly force against the fleeing teens, both former Union County Prosecutor Ted Romankow and former Morris County Prosecutor Robert Bianchi said. Romankow is now a defense attorney based in Springfield, and Bianchi the founding partner of a litigation firm.

"This officer should have controlled himself," Romankow said. "To start waving a gun and shooting, I think is beyond the pale."

Although no one has been charged so far, Bianchi speculated the trooper could be hit with any one of several charges, some including years of mandatory prison time.

You are confusing two different statements:

• NJSP investigators are--wait for it--investigating

• prosecutors, former prosecutors, are saying think things look bad.  they aren't NJSP, they aren't even .gov employees.  They are now defense attorneys.  I'm sure they are 100% reliable.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
1. Teens are lying little fucks,
2. Deadly force is still an inappropriate response to teens fleeing your property after a cursory casing
3. Lawyer's wet dream - guarantee his department gets named in the civil suit
View Quote

Anyone else would be in jail, charged as a defendant.  I doubt he'll lose his job permanently.

NJ is where the nurse from PA inadvertently took her CC permit and pistol in the state, and was pulled over in a traffic stop. She dutifully told the officer, who promptly arrested her.  She spent more time in jail than this guy will.  I cannot justify using deadly force to apprehend fleeing persons who probably committed no crime.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top