Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2015 6:26:35 PM EDT
Consulted some of the old threads and it looked like it had been a few years, so I thought I'd check in.

Local pawn shop has a rifle I have been looking for for a while. Marlin 1895GBL in .45-70. I saw it on the rack and hid my excitement.

I see the price tag is $699. Not too far off on new price and it had the factory tag on it (could have been put back on a used gun). Still excited. After looking over the gun I noticed it was fairly clean but had a couple of small surface rust spots. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker. It looked like it would clean up fairly well.

Me: Is this gun new?
Pawn Guy: Uhhh, we bought it from a guy but he never fired it.
Me: What's your bottom dollar on this? Edit: Might have been "Do you have any wiggle room" or some similar bullshit.
Pawn Guy: $675 out the door.
Me: I know you guys know what you have in it better than I do, but just because I've been looking at them lately....new price is $649 at Cabela's (which is usually a little high on guns).
Pawn Guy: Yeah, couldn't do much better than that, sorry man. (Puts gun back on rack)

I've been wanting one of these guns for a bit but I wouldn't mind playing the game with them if I can get a good deal. But let's be serious, they're asking more than new price for a used gun with surface rust I'd have to clean up.

What would you guys offer the pawn shop that they might realistically take? Any good tactics for you pawn shop gurus? Take the cash in with me to wave under their nose? I would think it is going to be sitting lonely for quite some time at that price.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#1]
What make and model of a firearm is it? Or is it a secret?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, should have just said that. Marlin 1895GBL in .45-70.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#3]
A few months ago I got inspired by all the talk on here about the great deals at pawn shops, checked out a local shop and they had some descent stuff here and there but the prices a bit steep, they seemed firm on prices as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
You seriously  asked what someone's bottom dollar is expecting an honest answer?

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
At the interest rate they are charging on loans they don't need to sell shit. Kind of like buying paper towels at Walgreens. All of that shit is there as a bonus sell. They make all they need on the drugs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Jurassic gun?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends -

If it is a JM proof marked gun (pre Remington takeover) it's probably worth at least that in that condition and will continue to appreciate in value.

If it is a REP proofed gun, you can do better.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You seriously  asked what someone's bottom dollar is?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You seriously  asked what someone's bottom dollar is?

Gotta start somewhere. A phrase used in every item I have ever bought or sold that had an inherent wiggle zone. Guns, cars, antiques, etc.

Quoted:
Depends -

If it is a JM proof marked gun (pre Remington takeover) it's probably worth at least that in that condition and will continue to appreciate in value.

If it is a REP proofed gun, you can do better.

Man I'm for shit on details today. Not a JM gun, it is a Remlin.

Quoted:
Jurassic gun?

Had no idea what you were talking about until I googled it. I knew I was awesome, but even Hollywood follows my desires.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I can get a new one at $649, I'd offer the pawn shop $550.  I dont give a fuck how "he never fired it - new" it is....it's still used.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#12]
If the gun sits there for a couple of months they may be more inclined to wheel and deal.  Throw out your buy price and see what they say.  If they say no, then come back in a coupe of weeks and see if they are ready to deal.  If you go back enough times, they may start to like you and make a deal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#13]
That is a great price

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
That weapon sells for as low as 575.00 new. That's on gunwatcher. Found one for 579.00 on Gunbroker. Now mind you that doesn't account for shipping and transfer fees.

I wouldn't offer anymore than the 575.00 in fact what I might do if it were me is, call them and ask them if they do transfers. If they say yes and it's reasonable say, well I'm wanting to buy a Marlin 1895 from a vendor for $575.00 and have you handle the transfer for the transfer fee.. (Say $20 or so is reasonable). lol
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to have a neighbor that ran a pawn shop and asked him this very question.  

His answer was that he always priced firearms very close to full retail regardless of condition because most people were completely clueless of the current firearms price and that someone would pay his asking price, even if he had to sit on the firearm for a month or two.

He also said that most likely he had obtained the firearm on a pawn and paid the former owner a third of what the gun was worth.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

And there you have it!

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That weapon sells for as low as 575.00 new. That's on gunwatcher. Found one for 579.00 on Gunbroker. Now mind you that doesn't account for shipping and transfer fees.

I wouldn't offer anymore than the 575.00 in fact what I might do if it were me is, call them and ask them if they do transfers. If they say yes and it's reasonable say, well I'm wanting to buy a Marlin 1895 from a vendor for $575.00 and have you handle the transfer for the transfer fee.. (Say $20 or so is reasonable). lol
View Quote

Didn't think of it until I got home, but this pawn shop has done 3 or 4 transfers for me in the past. Should have mentioned what a loyal (non-pawning) customer I am.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#18]
If it's that close in price to a new one why bother with a used rusty one at the pawn shop? He gave you his "best" price so just walk away. If you must, offer $525.00 tops.

Bud's has it for new $606.00 shipped. What's your transfer fee cost?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/60901

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
At the interest rate they are charging on loans they don't need to sell shit. Kind of like buying paper towels at Walgreens. All of that shit is there as a bonus sell. They make all they need on the drugs.
View Quote

Lol

Most of what is on the shelf is stuff that was defaulted on and therefore brought on no interest. Also, if it's sitting on the shelf, it's money we put out and will not recover until the sale. Most guns I can move 25 to 50 bucks, but a few I don't have any room to move. I loan as close to my margin as I can on firearms,  general merchandise is where the big gap between what I'm into it and where it's marked is at.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I would walk in and lay 500 dollars on the counter and point at the gun.  If you want to pay 500.

He is not going to go for it but if he does good,

If not you come back and find something you want in the shop that is worth 150-175 call him over and say this and the gun 600 pull the money out and say out the door.

If this does not work come back a week later and try 450.  I bought some ammo at so and so's and now all I have for the gun is 450.

I have done this and gotten a 675 gun  with a lot of accessories, down to 500 Plus tax  it took me a while, 8 weeks

or pass up the fun and go buy it new.

I am working on two guns right now marked 1600. My first offer today was 1100 out the door.  They have been there 3 weeks since I first looked at them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If it's that close in price to a new one why bother with a used rusty one at the pawn shop? He gave you his "best" price so just walk away. If you must offer $525.00 tops.

View Quote

Some of the pieces I've handled and seen in person have various defects in the stocks (glue filled voids and even a knotty spot so rough the checkering didn't touch it ) so I'd like to see the actual gun in person or at least get pictures of the actual gun I'm buying. Rare occasion, normally I just order from Bud's. Definitely not paying close to new price.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't ask what they'll take.......

Tell them what you will pay.

Be prepared to walk. But also be prepared to walk out with it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If it's that close in price to a new one why bother with a used rusty one at the pawn shop? He gave you his "best" price so just walk away. If you must, offer $525.00 tops.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

A few months ago I got inspired by all the talk on here about the great deals at pawn shops, checked out a local shop and they had some descent stuff here and there but the prices a bit steep, they seemed firm on prices as well.
View Quote

pawn shop rules.

haggle with cash.

walking away with out getting a good deal is a win.

repeat. lots and lots of repeat.

i have had fairly good luck during the month of december.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I am a big pawn shop guy. Some pawn shops are great. Other pawn guys are running a museum. Keep an eye on the gun and see if it lingers. Hunting season is months away so it probably will. He may not mind keeping it until the fall because he probably has $200 in it. If it lingers longer than 30 days, go in there with 5 $100 bills and tell them you will go $500 on the gun and show them the money. Just really take a good look at the gun since it is a Remlin. Many of them have had bad problems. The latest ones are supposed to be better. If they are business men they will take the money. If they are museum curators you can't do anything with them. I tried to buy a gun at a pawn shop in a neighboring state the other day and they wouldn't sell it to me even though they understood it was perfectly legal to do so. What can you do?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lol

Most of what is on the shelf is stuff that was defaulted on and therefore brought on no interest. Also, if it's sitting on the shelf, it's money we put out and will not recover until the sale. Most guns I can move 25 to 50 bucks, but a few I don't have any room to move. I loan as close to my margin as I can on firearms,  general merchandise is where the big gap between what I'm into it and where it's marked is at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

No PS in my area will loan over 25% of the sale value of a weapon. There are certain exceptions depending on how reliable the customer is but 25% is around the norm.

On Tuesday I saw the owner of one local pawn shop take in a .45 LC Henry Golden Boy, Rem 1100, Rem 870 (60-70s era guns in great shape) and a Llama .357 revolver. He only allowed a $400.00 loan on them....$200.00 less than the customer wanted.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Buy it off buds and then ask him if he'll do the transfer for you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Buy it off buds and then ask him if he'll do the transfer for you.
View Quote

I will no doubt have them do the transfer if I buy online.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Pawn shop markups all 'depend' on who they bought the gun from and how much they paid.

They will frequently be into a gun for too much if it is a good customer that pawns and reclaims frequently vs some random dude off the street.

I have a couple of regular shops I prowl weekly and know the owner and all the employees.

I'll look at something and they will say 'ha, I have too much in that one'.  Other times, they call me, begging me to buy a gun they have very little in, know it is something I would like and want to flip it for a quick buck.

I love pawn shops.

Like panning for gold.  Lotta dirt to find the nuggets.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You seriously  asked what someone's bottom dollar is expecting an honest answer?

View Quote

Yep.  Asking "what's your bottom dollar" is a terrible negotiation opener.   Tells someone they're dealing with a cheapskate, straight off.

Also, "waiving money under noses" will only work with someone desperate for money, not an established business.  

Lastly, telling the pawn shop counter guy you can do better elsewhere (new for $649) won't help, either.   The pawn shop guy is thinking the same thing (they'll get more money from someone else).

My advice is to buy the new one elsewhere for $649 and let someone less knowledgeable buy the one with rust at the pawn shop.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep.  Asking "what's your bottom dollar" is a terrible negotiation opener.   Tells someone they're dealing with a cheapskate, straight off.

Also, "waiving money under noses" will only work with someone desperate for money, not an established business.  

Lastly, telling the pawn shop counter guy you can do better elsewhere (new for $649) won't help, either.   The pawn shop guy is thinking the same thing (they'll get more money from someone else).

My advice is to buy the new one elsewhere for $649 and let someone less knowledgeable buy the one with rust at the pawn shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All fair points. Maybe it is a regional thing or maybe just me. I've never been offended by the phrase. And AS1989's post didn't originally say "and expect an honest answer". Definitely didn't expect what they'd take for it.

The money waving was a joke, I mainly meant having the cash with me ready to do the deal if he bites. The Cabela's comment was kind of dickish but he didn't act offended. He knows their prices are high.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pawn shop markups all 'depend' on who they bought the gun from and how much they paid.

They will frequently be into a gun for too much if it is a good customer that pawns and reclaims frequently vs some random dude off the street.

I have a couple of regular shops I prowl weekly and know the owner and all the employees.

I'll look at something and they will say 'ha, I have too much in that one'.  Other times, they call me, begging me to buy a gun they have very little in, know it is something I would like and want to flip it for a quick buck.

I love pawn shops.
Like panning for gold.  Lotta dirt to find the nuggets.
View Quote

Ah a man after my own heart!

I do very well at the local pawn shops.

They always give me a heads-up when something they think I might like walks in or is close to being forfeited.

They told me one Friday a Merkel drilling was going to be forfeited on the following Monday. On Monday I showed-up with $500.00 to lay it away but the owner had came in and caught the loan up on Saturday.....Bummer but I could understand as it's a 10-12K drilling.

The owner pondered for a minute, went in the back and brought me out a matching (but the mags) byf 42 Luger and holster and sold it to me for $352.00 OTD.

The Drilling is still in pawn so you just never know.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#33]
My local pawn shop is trying to sell a beat-to-shit  box of 9mm TulAmmo for $20.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No PS in my area will loan over 25% of the sale value of a weapon. There are certain exceptions depending on how reliable the customer is but 25% is around the norm.

On Tuesday I saw the owner of one local pawn shop take in a .45 LC Henry Golden Boy, Rem 1100, Rem 870 (60-70s era guns in great shape) and a Llama .357 revolver. He only allowed a $400.00 loan on them....$200.00 less than the customer wanted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

25% is average on general merchandise,  just today I loaned $260 on a Taurus pt1911.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#35]
When I worked in a pawn/gunshop rule was you should double your money.

If we had a $600 gun you better not put more than $250-300 in it
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I buy a lot of used guns at my ffl. I never ask whats the bottom dollar,is there wiggle room,etc.
I look the gun over, check their price, offer what Im willing to pay and go from there.
I generally get around 15-20 percent off and sometimes a bit more but I do a lot of business with them and they know If I make an offer that Im ready to buy the gun and not just kicking tires.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

25% is average on general merchandise,  just today I loaned $260 on a Taurus pt1911.
View Quote

Damn that's better than half the value on that gun if it was used at 98%. They are around $590 new. Do you have lots of PS completion in your area that causes you to have to make such high loans on guns?

On a generous day I don't suspect it would rate much more than a $185.00 loan around here.

In fact one of our shops has one that was forfeited sitting at $450.00. Been there for several months.

Of course that might have more to do with the glut of $325.00 selling price ARMCORP made 1911s of various brands/flavors that have showed-up of late in the shops. I guess folks don't see the $125.00 difference in value, that and the fact it's a Taurus.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#38]
My friend who owns a pawn shop told me that my price was 1/2 of marked price on everything in the store  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Wait till Friday

The pawn shop here used to have "Dying Minister Specials" on the last day of the month

Offer $500.00

View Quote

They have less then $400 in it. If I had to guess $300-350.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If the gun sits there for a couple of months they may be more inclined to wheel and deal.  Throw out your buy price and see what they say.  If they say no, then come back in a coupe of weeks and see if they are ready to deal.  If you go back enough times, they may start to like you and make a deal.
View Quote

This is also true.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#41]
My go to is simply "What's the best you can do on this?"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I throw out offers all the time.  I don't give two shits if someone at the store is offended.  I'm offended at their pricing.

My tactic has worked just fine so far.  (I don't buy new)
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Walk in with $500 cash and make a cash offer right there
Maybe they accept it, maybe they counter, but it gets you started
View Quote

Fuck that. Pull 4 $100 bills out of your pocket and lay them on the counter. Ask them how many months they want to sit on it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Fuck that. Pull 4 $100 bills out of your pocket and lay them on the counter. Ask them how many months they want to sit on it.
View Quote

And they will probably laugh him out the door.  Not all people are impressed with a few $100 bills laying on a counter, especially for a gun that will easily sell for over $500.  I had a guy try a similar tactic once at a gun show, and I told him to come back when he had more money.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Consulted some of the old threads and it looked like it had been a few years, so I thought I'd check in.

Local pawn shop has a rifle I have been looking for for a while. Marlin 1895GBL in .45-70. I saw it on the rack and hid my excitement.

I see the price tag is $699. Not too far off on new price and it had the factory tag on it (could have been put back on a used gun). Still excited. After looking over the gun I noticed it was fairly clean but had a couple of small surface rust spots. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker. It looked like it would clean up fairly well.

Me: What's your bottom dollar on this? Edit: Might have been "Do you have any wiggle room" or some similar bullshit.
Me: I know you guys know what you have in it better than I do, but just because I've been looking at them lately....new price is $649 at Cabela's (which is usually a little high on guns).
Pawn Guy: Yeah, couldn't do much better than that, sorry man. (Puts gun back on rack)

I've been wanting one of these guns for a bit but I wouldn't mind playing the game with them if I can get a good deal. But let's be serious, they're asking more than new price for a used gun with surface rust I'd have to clean up.

What would you guys offer the pawn shop that they might realistically take? Any good tactics for you pawn shop gurus? Take the cash in with me to wave under their nose? I would think it is going to be sitting lonely for quite some time at that price.
View Quote

That's not how haggling works. You don't ASK what their bottom price is. You tell them what you'll pay, maximum.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Gonna PM him a link to this thread so he can readjust price for OP
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I really like that gun but it's more than I can spend......
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's not how haggling works. You don't ASK what their bottom price is. You tell them what you'll pay, maximum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will try that the next time I'm in there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top