Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Whatever gave you the idea that you could just use a windows 7 key in windows 10???????

You need to upgrade from an existing installation first.

View Quote
How should I put this, try reading.  One more time for the challenged, I have a PC with a legitimate copy of Win 7 pro installed, I go to the download page and READ THE FUCKING instructions, I follow the instructions and completed the install accordingly.  Then when it comes time to register my LEGITIMATE product key, it tells me it's blocked.  What part of that don't you understand?

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife just upgraded her laptop. Smooth as silk.

She is now playing around sending e-mails to my kids via dictation.

She loves that cortana
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Apple kills babies!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apple or die baby

Apple kills babies!

That's why it works so well.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Windows 7. It works fine. What does 10 do for me?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My wife just upgraded her laptop. Smooth as silk.

She is now playing around sending e-mails to my kids via dictation.

She loves that cortana
View Quote
I'm glad it's working for her, and I think I may have found my problem, although the wording is as clear as mud.  So the question now is do I have a "retail" version of Win 7 Pro, or an "OEM" version.  Off to Tigerdirect to look up my old orders.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
woo hoo, just installed Linux
View Quote

nice

(Posted with fedora in 4k with a 980Ti)
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have you ever been to Redmond, Washington?  I used to work there, it's city claim is "Bicycle Capitol of the World", bunch of metro sexual tech weenies, that believe they should own guns, but nobody else.  Sound familiar?  That crowd is the reason our state has the "Tennis shooed twat" and the "Babbling Idiot" for US Senators.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm just going to put this right here.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2007/10/09/microsoft-gun-club/

Does apple or google have (or had) a similar club?
Have you ever been to Redmond, Washington?  I used to work there, it's city claim is "Bicycle Capitol of the World", bunch of metro sexual tech weenies, that believe they should own guns, but nobody else.  Sound familiar?  That crowd is the reason our state has the "Tennis shooed twat" and the "Babbling Idiot" for US Senators.  

Jesus you couldn't be more wrong.. there are tons of normal gun guys here. You sound uneducated.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
OMG... I can right click the start button and EVERYTHING is there!!....control panel, program uninstaller, services, admin tools, RUN!!! etc etc yay!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone find out if origin and steam clients are working on 10?
View Quote

Steam installed for me in the win10 insider preview, but I had quite a few BSOD during basic operations and even right after startup with the preview that I barely used steam.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No issues with UEFI Bootloader?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
woo hoo, just installed Linux
No issues with UEFI Bootloader?  

lol. UEFI.

legacy mode bitches.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I did a clean install, onto my SSD, all my p0rn is stashed on the HHD's I have in raid.  So really all I lost was some time, now to re-install Windows 7.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can do a clean install by selecting the option to keep nothing on the "What do you want to keep?" screen, during the install process.
I did a clean install, onto my SSD, all my p0rn is stashed on the HHD's I have in raid.  So really all I lost was some time, now to re-install Windows 7.  

so you posted this rant...after you weren't smart enough to image the system before hand.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]

It's too late for me! Run!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep.   Predictable.  

I will NEVER again participate in Microsoft's activation bullshit  after  I was ripped off by them.   I purchased a legit copy of Windows 7 FROM MICROSOFT that they refused to reactivate when the key was blocked for some reason.  

I took matters into my own hands thereafter.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
so you posted this rant...after you weren't smart enough to image the system before hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can do a clean install by selecting the option to keep nothing on the "What do you want to keep?" screen, during the install process.

Nothing resides on my SSD other than the OS, so yeah I got an image of that, it's the Win 7 Pro DVD.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Jesus you couldn't be more wrong.. there are tons of normal gun guys here. You sound uneducated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know damn well that Snohomish, King and Pierce counties are overflowing with moonbats.  Now don't get me wrong, the rural parts of those counties are great, but I wouldn't exactly call Redmond rural.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Just finished up. Not bad.  Couldn't install the display drivers.  Finally restarted and it was automatically done.  Cortana is pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nothing resides on my SSD other than the OS, so yeah I an image of that, it's the Win 7 Pro DVD.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing resides on my SSD other than the OS, so yeah I an image of that, it's the Win 7 Pro DVD.  

in other words no i wasn't. because now I'll have to reinstalled windows 7 all my drivers and all my applications over again and resetup everything from scratch. instead of popping in a windows 7 repair disc booting to it and selecting restore from back up and being back up in an hour exactly the way it was before.

sorry your rant holds no weight. you get a 0.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You know damn well that Snohomish, King and Pierce counties are overflowing with moonbats.  Now don't get me wrong, the rural parts of those counties are great, but I wouldn't exactly call Redmond rural.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm talking about MS in particular, since you went out of your way to talk trash in response to the article about the gun club.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How should I put this, try reading.  One more time for the challenged, I have a PC with a legitimate copy of Win 7 pro installed, I go to the download page and READ THE FUCKING instructions, I follow the instructions and completed the install accordingly.  Then when it comes time to register my LEGITIMATE product key, it tells me it's blocked.  What part of that don't you understand?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever gave you the idea that you could just use a windows 7 key in windows 10???????

Can you explain how you did your clean install?
Did you upgrade and pick the option to not save anything when it asked?
Or did you boot up from a windows 10 bootable media you made with the windows media download tool?

I am just curious
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
in other words no i wasn't. because now I'll have to reinstalled windows 7 all my drivers and all my applications over again and resetup everything from scratch. instead of popping in a windows 7 repair disc booting to it and selecting restore from back up and being back up in an hour exactly the way it was before.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So that's what you call a clean install?   Hmmmmmm...............NO.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Or did you boot up from a windows 10 bootable media you made with the windows media download tool?

I am just curious
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am just curious
Went the route of installing thru windows 7, picking the "do not save anything" option.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Just upgraded this morning. Easiest and smoothest transition ever (since 3.11WFW and NT4) . I upgraded my laptop from Win7 and the wife's from 8.1, all previos apps and settings were retained, web passwords, history and all was still there. Only thing I noticed was Chrome was dethroned as default browser...

So far very stable, fast, and robust. I'm still on a 3 year old Intel i3 machine...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OMG... I can right click the start button and EVERYTHING is there!!....control panel, program uninstaller, services, admin tools, RUN!!! etc etc yay!
View Quote

I already have that in 8.1
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Installed it this AM and first thing I noticed was Norton Security suite was MIA.*

Next was the vertical line splitting the screen -NVIDIA drivers also MIA.

The oddest one thus far is the MS mouse magnify feature isn't visible in edge, but is clearly visible/running on the destop or other windows???

*The Norton product was from Comcast so it wouldn't install again either, their site had nuttin fer 10. I clicked a popup message for Defender and it took off by itself & ran a full scan with zero threats found.  I then clicked the update tab it and showed virus definitions were 56 days old and off it went to update?!?!? Why did it not do THAT prior to scanning my machine???  Damn'it Bill.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#25]
on first login my drivers where jacked up

Nvidia Geforce Gt 740

I went to computer management, right clicked on display adapter, it said these drivers are ok. clicked OK, it rebooted and had full Nvidia drivers installed.

Everything is fine now. I just don't like that you can't alt  TAB from a game to the desktop. You have to have something running on the desktop like a browser.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yep.   Predictable.  

I will NEVER again participate in Microsoft's activation bullshit  after  I was ripped off by them.   I purchased a legit copy of Windows 7 FROM MICROSOFT that they refused to reactivate when the key was blocked for some reason.  

I took matters into my own hands thereafter.
View Quote

Same here.

I only had issues with the scanner driver for my Kodak AiO Printer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finder is right, when you click the "get windows 10" icon on your taskbar that retail installs have pop up and get the confirmation email then your key is valid for win 10. they dont issue new keys.

ETA: I havent tested just downloading the image and the entering the key at work, just doing the upgrade from a test system. Our enterprise preview has its own volume license key for our test stations.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#28]
8/10 I'll wait a while as usual. Everything MS has put out since Windows 95 has been a clusterfuck waiting on a shitload of patches. I reverted back to 7 from 8.1 a few months back and haven't been happier.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Looks like I'll be keeping Windows 7
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've got an XP key that's legit but got blocked. Reinstalling the OS once a month for 4 years of college raises some red flags.

Call the Microsoft support number and they should give you an activation code that will work (and be reusable). While you're talking to them, remind them I want my fucking media center back.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Maybe because XP isn't in the upgrade path?  7, 8, or 8.1.

RIF
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Most of this thread is Apple's target demographic.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Got done about a half hour ago.

The whole process was boringly uneventful.

The result is a perfectly operational laptop that boots slower than Win 8.1 did. That's the only negative comment I have this far.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
Actually not me.  Apple was something back when they used SPARC processors, now it's all intel.  Hell I just fixed a friend of mines MacBook Pro, he was told it needed a new "logic" board.  I said you mean "motherboard", oh no, apples use "logic" boards.  Yeah, well, whatever....those steady beeps and no boot must mean something, hmmm, a quick search says bad memory.  Well I hope they didn't do something stupid like solder it in.  Nope, a quick reseat of the sodimms and all was well.  I'm still laughing about the "logic" board...

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been messing with the Windows 10 CTP since it came out.  Overall not bad, I'm probably going to put the RTM on one of my laptops.  I haven't run into any incompatibility issues yet.

Hell, I've got Windows 10 Core running on a Raspberry Pi 2.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The result is a perfectly operational laptop that boots slower than Win 8.1 did. That's the only negative comment I have this far.
View Quote

Yeah, it's a lot slower now. Went from about 3 seconds to more like 10. First world problem, but damn you notice it now.
My two-finger scroll is broken/bent and my Norton's is gone.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's a lot slower now. Went from about 3 seconds to more like 10. First world problem, but damn you notice it now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, multitouch is broken, too.

Updating the touchpad drivers doesn't help. either.

ETA - It's back!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

ETA - It's back!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA - It's back!
Just reboot, it'll find them.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anyone find out if origin and steam clients are working on 10?
View Quote
Steam works.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I updated my work PC from 8.junk today with zero issues. I'm digging it so far.

And I was able to capture this moment in time for you guys
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've got an XP key that's legit but got blocked. Reinstalling the OS once a month for 4 years of college raises some red flags.

Call the Microsoft support number and they should give you an activation code that will work (and be reusable). While you're talking to them, remind them I want my fucking media center back.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Media center is now KODI, and you can run it on Android boxes that connect to your tv. You can also stream movies from your computer to your TV. Yeah, never getting rid of my Xbox 360 and my Windows 7 laptop with media center.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#42]
We trashed half a dozen desktops to get 10 installed, and finally got one working.  The upgrade is a disaster.  We even have a couple guys on staff that are former Windows OS QA, and they still couldn't get it to work on the other five machines.  Also, it downgraded our Windows 7 Ultimate to Home so we can't remote desktop into the one that did work.  The CEO promised our customers we'd support 10 from the day it was released so we have to make this work.  I hate being between a rock and a hard place.z
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

LOL, I grew up in Redmond.  I am very familiar with the types you speak of, they mostly migrated from CA in the 80's and 90's.  There is a gun company there - Lionheart, also some of the imported AIM surplus guns are coming through Redmond, it's kind of weird to see Redmond on the slide of those pistols.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, I grew up in Redmond.  I am very familiar with the types you speak of, they mostly migrated from CA in the 80's and 90's.  There is a gun company there - Lionheart, also some of the imported AIM surplus guns are coming through Redmond, it's kind of weird to see Redmond on the slide of those pistols.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hell, I was probably using a CRAFT interface on Harris microwave radios before you were shittin solids.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should stick to iPads.  They were created because of people like you.
Hell, I was probably using a CRAFT interface on Harris microwave radios before you were shittin solids.  

You probably were installing/configuring them for me.  What's your point?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We trashed half a dozen desktops to get 10 installed, and finally got one working.  The upgrade is a disaster.  We even have a couple guys on staff that are former Windows OS QA, and they still couldn't get it to work on the other five machines.  Also, it downgraded our Windows 7 Ultimate to Home so we can't remote desktop into the one that did work.  The CEO promised our customers we'd support 10 from the day it was released so we have to make this work.  I hate being between a rock and a hard place.z
View Quote

You're just now testing it on the hardware?  WTF is wrong with you?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#46]
What wireless NIC do you have OP?  The N600 is a router.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention updating to a new OS on day 1 using (apparently) mission critical hardware.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've been testing for months on vm images from http://modern.ie/ , but a couple of customers said there were problems with the RTM version.  Microsoft has since pulled 10 from that site so there's no updated images we can use for testing any longer.  I think we've spent $500k on Microsoft software so far this year, so it's frustrating to be put in this position.z
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:31:10 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

What wireless NIC do you have OP?  The N600 is a router.
View Quote
this one http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-adapters/WNDA3100.aspx

It's model number is WNDA3100, but as you see they also call it an "N600"

The NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter wirelessly connects your Windows®-based laptop or desktop computer to a Wireless-N network for demanding applications, such as streaming HD video and multiplayer gaming. Dual band technology avoids interference, ensuring top speeds and the greatest range, and compatibility with Wireless-G networks allows hassle-free connection flexiblity. Easy setup with NETGEAR® genie gets you up and running fast, while Push 'N' Connect gives you a secured connection at the push of a button.

Dual band avoids interference for reliable connections

Faster WiFi speeds 300/300 - Up to 600 Mbps

Works with any standard WiFi Router or Modem Router/Gateway like Belkin®, Linksys®, D-Link®, NETGEAR®, & others
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should stick to iPads.  They were created because of people like you.

I have no point, in fact it's all pointless...but let's forget that, you ever work for Harris?

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top