Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2015 12:54:15 PM EDT
I've been thinking about getting an older, relatively inexpensive 4x4 for camping and hunting. A bit of wheeling in the desert but nothing insane. It will also see some light commuter duty and I dont want to worry about it driving a 300 mile road trip. My wife and I car pool to work but that does not always work out, and my old project car (while fun), isnt something I want to drive in the city every day without AC.

My research has led me to the XJ. I've never owned a jeep, but a few of my friends do. A childhood friend and I built a salvage YJ into a psuedo crawler with a full cage, 38",  custom 4 link, and a SBC350/TH400 power train. I know my way around a vehicle, but I dont want a POS that needs a ton of work. I just dont have the time to do a full build anymore or be working on it constantly.

I refuse to look at anything without a 4.0 I6 in it. I believe in those motors and I've seen what they can do. I'd prefer a manual gearbox just because. I'd prefer to find something stock or close to it. It would likely get a mild lift, nice rubber, and perhaps a winch but other than that I dont want to go crazy.

What years should I be looking at and what should I avoid? I live in the SW where rust is not an issue. What would you expect to pay for one matching my criteria? Prices are all over the place on CL.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Older 4Runners with the 3.4 engine?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Older 4Runners with the 3.4 engine?
View Quote

Another consideration. Prices seem to be potato on anything Toyo in my neck of the woods, though
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Also looking for a Isuzu Trooper that isnt completely destroyed. I had a Rodeo with the garbage GM 4 cyl in it that blew a headgasket and wasnt worth it to repair... I really regret not swapping the V6 into it and keeping it. I loved that truck.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
My now married daughter drives the 2001 XJ that I bought new in 2001.  She drove it through college and I gave it to her when she graduated.

Other than a front axle seal that leaked and an A/C compressor that went out last year, it had been solid and dependable.  The rear leaf springs are sagging a bit, though.   Hers is a 4.0 with auto transmission.  It offroads very well with aggressive tires, despite being stock.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
To find a good, non rusted out, high mileage XJ is going to be tough.

The last XJ I had was a '97 4 dr sport which I subsequently punched a whole about half the size of my fist through the side of the case.  Rod wrapped around the piston and locked up the motor so bad I had to torch the crank in half just to get the tq converter and tranny loose.  BTW...XJ's have absolutely no room to work in the engine bay (very compact).  But find one that's solid and you don't mind it being a project, and have fun.  I was doing a little here and there on mine.  New headlights, lift (updated suspension), new tires, new spark plugs, new fluids, working on the interior, etc.....then the motor let go.  Shocking I know, for the all stout 4.0 I6....

Didn't help that the '06 4Runner Limited behind it I had just bought 33" Duratracs with Icon suspension and a lot of other suspension goodies.  My XJ was a money pit.  I got rid of it while losing my ass on everything I put into it.  If you do buy one, I hope you have better luck.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also looking for a Isuzu Trooper that isnt completely destroyed. I had a Rodeo with the garbage GM 4 cyl in it that blew a headgasket and wasnt worth it to repair... I really regret not swapping the V6 into it and keeping it. I loved that truck.
View Quote

What state r u in?    Michigan road salt has long since destroyed the Troopers here.

I really wld try to hunt down a 4Runner with that engine.  One of my sisters had one years ago and she never had any trouble with it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]
@4 years ago I bought my '99 XJ (5 spd, 4WD) for $3300. Finding a 5 speed is the challenge.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What state r u in?    Michigan road salt has long since destroyed the Troopers here.

I really wld try to hunt down a 4Runner with that engine.  One of my sisters had one years ago and she never had any trouble with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NV. 60's and 70's cars local to the area are known to not have a lick of bondo. I know, I'm spoiled . At least I pay for it in the 115* summers.

Thanks for all the replies
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, you sparked my interest.  Please explain what you mean by "I've seen what they can do.".  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had several XJ's and loved them. I think I never had one with more than 150k on it though, I always kept trading up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#12]
1st gen ZJ's are cheaper to buy and more comfortable.  Cost about the same to build.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1st gen ZJ's are cheaper to buy and more comfortable.  Cost about the same to build.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/robertlee3rd/D7D533A8-73E3-4B3E-A758-1B3BE6236BF1.jpg

View Quote

Ugh. You might be right but damn. I've had several of those too and I always preferred the XJ.
The ZJ just never felt as planted on either the trails or in a snowstorm.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok, you sparked my interest.  Please explain what you mean by "I've seen what they can do.".  
View Quote

I've witnessed them go 250k+ miles without anything other than basic maintenance. One overheated so badly due to a rad clog that I was convinced it would need to be decked and rebuilt... replaced the rad and it was like nothing happened. They're bullet proof.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've witnessed them go 250k+ miles without anything other than basic maintenance. One overheated so badly due to a rad clog that I was convinced it would need to be decked and rebuilt... replaced the rad and it was like nothing happened. They're bullet proof.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one that I bought for parts.  It had 260 on it and the engine ran perfect.  I took what I needed and sold what was left for more than I paid for it.  The one I was driving had 220k on it when I sold it to a neighbor in need for $100 and it's been his dd ever since, abut a year and a half ago.  Idk about now,  but when I had it, it didn't burn a drop of oil.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#16]
The 2000s have head issues. I have a 2000, is maintenance hog. I'm done with Chrysler. Sure the engine runs good, is every thing around it that constantly breaks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Anything 91+ with the HO engine should be fine, there are some small differences in things like u-joints, t-case tail shaft, and non-disconnect front axles but those are relatively cheap fixes.  Non abs models mostly get the 8.25" axle, which is stronger but has less aftermarket support.  You can take a look at this axle guide to see if it makes a difference for you.  http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-1109-jeep-cherokee-axle-guide/  A 3" lift, 31's, and a lunchbox locker and you'll get most anywhere with a low chance of breakage.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I had one that I bought for parts.  It had 260 on it and the engine ran perfect.  I took what I needed and sold what was left for more than I paid for it.  The one I was driving had 220k on it when I sold it to a neighbor in need for $100 and it's been his dd ever since, abut a year and a half ago.  Idk about now,  but when I had it, it didn't burn a drop of oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've ran one with no oil when the filter busted in moab.  I've also overheated them.  Ran one on two cylinders for about 4 hours one time.

They take a beating, but so do most other old iron engines.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anything 91+ with the HO engine should be fine, there are some small differences in things like u-joints, t-case tail shaft, and non-disconnect front axles but those are relatively cheap fixes.  Non abs models mostly get the 8.25" axle, which is stronger but has less aftermarket support.  You can take a look at this axle guide to see if it makes a difference for you.  http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-1109-jeep-cherokee-axle-guide/  A 3" lift, 31's, and a lunchbox locker and you'll get most anywhere with a low chance of breakage.
View Quote

Thats the type of info I'm looking for. Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#20]
The heater core is an all day job. I think Chrysler threw a heater core on the line and just built the jeep around it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/robertlee3rd/D7D533A8-73E3-4B3E-A758-1B3BE6236BF1.jpg

View Quote

This. But I do have some XJ love my first 2 were xjs I would love to have a 99 or 00 but they are impossible to find with decent mileage

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Any XJ around here has long turned into a rust bucket.  They still run but damn they rot hard.  And they're getting hard to find.  

I've always thought the interior was a bit cramped.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#23]
XJ's are slightly smaller than 3rd gen 4Runners.

Both are reasonable off road build platforms.

Both can be stinking money pits.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The heater core is an all day job. I think Chrysler threw a heater core on the line and just built the jeep around it.

View Quote
Oh how could I forget.  Luckily while I was replacing the motor and had the thing apart, I put a new heater core in it.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

The pre-96 models are much much easier than the 96-01
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Literally have a friend selling close to exaclty what you are looking for. A TJ sound good?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Straight 6 will go on forever...

The lack of maintenance on the 4wd system might not be as long lasting though...

Late models have fuel injection, which could be good or bad depending on what you want to do...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

NO

Parts are a PITA to find, whereas jeep or toyota parts are easy.

If you can fabricate stuff or create work-arounds....sure.  But if you cannot....skip them.  Those trucks are only meant for people who drive them and ditch them.  Not for someone who wants to keep them.  

Additionally, the aftermarket for those things is nil, whereas you can find just about any lift, accessory, etc for Jeeps or Toyotas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top