Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What herbicides are safer than Roundup?  Roundup ready crops have been a godsend for keeping poisonous chemicals out of our food supply. The stuff farmers had  to apply before this were far far more toxic.

View Quote

Honest answer? I would have to do some research to give you a good answer. That is an excellent question, and I'll surely find some answers.

The evidence that I have found and read leads me to avoid it as much as I can, especially given that it is used on a huge percentage of staple crops. Sure, I eat foods that have had it applied on occasion. I just try to avoid cumulative effects and loading my body with it.

That's my choice and understanding based on my research. Your choice and understanding is based on yours.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Roundup ready corn and alfalfa are freaking awesome.    Apply once and done (usually), instead of  multiple applications of different chemicals that stress your crop, or don't kill the weeds, or both.   I have yet to see any resistance to it as of yet.  I'm sure one day there will be resistance to it, but there will be another herbicide developed.
View Quote

That is a valid observation. There is a lot of evidence out there that supports my statement, and it is not hard to find.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Also, fresh-cut pork and bacon is amazeballs.
View Quote

the difference in grow your own pork versus grocery store pork is astounding
grown your own beef or chicken... sure there is a difference
but grow your own pork is in a whole different category
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Meh, people can eat whatever they fucking wany, I don't care.
View Quote

You should though. Healthcare costs due to metabolic syndrome, which is a direct result of diet is astronomical. Like, the vast majority of the entire budget.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What if I told you I did, and the organic stuff didn't sour for 1-2 weeks longer than the conventional?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only buy organic milk.

I don't use a lot of milk, and the organic milk lasts about four times longer than the regular stuff.
That's not possible

Purchase both types and run your own experiment

What if I told you I did, and the organic stuff didn't sour for 1-2 weeks longer than the conventional?

It's been mentioned already, but the difference is in the pasteurization.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That is a valid observation. There is a lot of evidence out there that supports my statement, and it is not hard to find.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roundup ready corn and alfalfa are freaking awesome.    Apply once and done (usually), instead of  multiple applications of different chemicals that stress your crop, or don't kill the weeds, or both.   I have yet to see any resistance to it as of yet.  I'm sure one day there will be resistance to it, but there will be another herbicide developed.

What kind of evidence? The studies where they give ounces of pure roundup to mice?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought about forwarding the Forbes article to several liberal "organic food only" type people that I know.  But then I realized it would do no good.  They eat organic simply because it makes them feel better about themselves and they think they are saving the planet.  No amount of fact or evidence is needed or wanted.  Liberals make decisions with emotion and good intentions, not on facts.  Doesn't matter if it is voting, man made global warming or organic food.  I could show them thousands of facts based on peer reviewed research and it just wouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I only buy organic milk.

I don't use a lot of milk, and the organic milk lasts about four times longer than the regular stuff.
That's not possible

How so?  temp and duration?

Also, at this point we have conflicting statements between "That's not possible" and "It's the pasteurization".

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Honest answer? I would have to do some research to give you a good answer. That is an excellent question, and I'll surely find some answers.

The evidence that I have found and read leads me to avoid it as much as I can, especially given that it is used on a huge percentage of staple crops. Sure, I eat foods that have had it applied on occasion. I just try to avoid cumulative effects and loading my body with it.

That's my choice and understanding based on my research. Your choice and understanding is based on yours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What herbicides are safer than Roundup?  Roundup ready crops have been a godsend for keeping poisonous chemicals out of our food supply. The stuff farmers had  to apply before this were far far more toxic.

Well it's only getting harder to avoid, pretty soon you won't be able to eat most grains including any breads or pastas, soy  or anything with soy in it, anything with corn or high fructose corn syrup, potatoes, just about all sugar or anything with sugar in it, all peas beans and legumes and just about every meat product because all their feed is based on Roundup ready crops.

On the other hand I've concluded that GMO sweetcorn is what I want to feed my family because I feel it is the safest option available. I just wish the seed was more available for a backyard gardener like me.

This is coming from a guy who has the best garden in his neighborhood, who is eating from it and putting up food from it almost every day. Who almost never eats out and cooks for his family every day.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#10]
You have to know how to read labels and understand what goes into your food.  Don't rely on the government (surprise, surprise)
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I thought about forwarding the Forbes article to several liberal "organic food only" type people that I know.  But then I realized it would do no good.  They eat organic simply because it makes them feel better about themselves and they think they are saving the planet.  No amount of fact or evidence is needed or wanted.  Liberals make decisions with emotion and good intentions, not on facts.  Doesn't matter if it is voting, man made global warming or organic food.  I could show them thousands of facts based on peer reviewed research and it just wouldn't matter.
View Quote

To be fair, a short Forbes article is hardly thousands of peer reviewed data points.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.  I eat a lot of "organic" veggies and meats, but I know the farmers who produce it. I'm not relying on a label in a store, I'm going to my neighbors farm/CSA.  As for price, sometimes it is more expensive, sometimes not.  The quality is definitely better; tomatoes for example, taste great - not at all like the flavorless crap you get at the supermarket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol, anyone that just blindly trusts/assumes that some .gov labeling program has their best interest in mind is stupid.

Ultimately, it's up to the consumer to be responsible for what they put in their body. I love seeing carts at the grocery store filled with all organic produce, but also loaded down with junk like wheat bread and other "heart healthy" garbage. Sheeple.

Do your own research, find local and responsible sources for stuff. Yeah it's way more effort and probably more expensive and you will be limited in what you can find -- but not getting the beetus or cancer from eating shitty fucking food is worth it.

Pretty much this.  I eat a lot of "organic" veggies and meats, but I know the farmers who produce it. I'm not relying on a label in a store, I'm going to my neighbors farm/CSA.  As for price, sometimes it is more expensive, sometimes not.  The quality is definitely better; tomatoes for example, taste great - not at all like the flavorless crap you get at the supermarket.

Yeah, organic eggs are great and corn fed animals taste like shit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only buy organic milk.

That's not possible

This is true, the expiration dates are longer on organic milk.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whenever someone tells me they prefer organic, I counter with either :

- Dog shit is organic
- What about inorganic fruit / chicken / etc
View Quote

Dogshit isn't  organic if your feeding your pets melamine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What kind of evidence? The studies where they give ounces of pure roundup to mice?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This response was about the weed becoming more tolerant to the herbicide.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only buy organic milk.

That's not possible

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You have to know how to read labels and understand what goes into your food.  Don't rely on the government (surprise, surprise)
View Quote

Yup. That's right.

Well, you don't have to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Also, at this point we have conflicting statements between "That's not possible" and "It's the pasteurization".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only buy organic milk.

That's not possible

I'm no expert, but I think it's higher temp. Look at the jug. I don't have any organic stuff, but my regular half and half says ultra pasteurized. It lasts a long time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh. I agree there. But now we've got roundup ready palmer amaranth we can sell as hippy food.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I try to get my food locally lately. I have a friend with a large garden who also keeps chickens. I get my eggs and vegetables from him. Since doing this I have been eating much better and have actually lost a few pounds. His produce tastes better & I feel better. I'd rather buy from him (& others) than a big supermarket. We have alot of small farmers around here.
Hessian-1

ETA:   From what I've read pasteurization is a two edged sword. Sure it kills the bad bacteria/enzymes but it also eliminates the good. Fresh & local for me when ever I can!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I love all the people who claim that consuming food treated with fertilizers and pesticides is almost as bad for you as eating rat poison. Yet, when you counter that humans today in most westernized civilizations are living longer, healthier lives and consuming foods treated with fertilizers and pesticides than at any time in human history, they turn into blubbering fools spouting irrelevant facts about 0.05% increases in obscure diseases and stuff. Modern medicine, improvements in sanitation, and advances in agricultural processes combined probably account for the reason the average life expectancy of humans today have increased by 65.5% since the turn of the 20th century.

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, life
expectancy for men in 1907 was 45.6 years; by 1957 it rose to 66.4; in
2007 it reached 75.5.
View Quote

If modern pesticides and fertilizers were so bad for us, we would expect to see pandemic proportions of diseases, ailments, and disability caused by them. But we aren't.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I agree.  Love homegrown tomatoes, almost can't stand to buy store bought during the winter.  
I grow tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers, berries, etc.  If the soil isn't up to snuff I'll use fertilizers.  If they're getting mauled by bugs I"ll use pesticides.  Everything still tastes great.  
The difference in quality between store bought and home grown is all about variety and freshness and has nothing to do with "organically grown" or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The quality is definitely better; tomatoes for example, taste great - not at all like the flavorless crap you get at the supermarket.

Which has exactly nothing to do with being "organic" and everything to do with local farmers not having to grow varieties with tougher skin that is necessary for the big stores shipping tomatoes all over the place if they don't want to end up with a truck full of ketchup at the end of the road.

Makes sense. We grow several varieties of tomatoes and the flavor is Sooo much better than generic grocery store tomatoes.

I agree.  Love homegrown tomatoes, almost can't stand to buy store bought during the winter.  
I grow tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers, berries, etc.  If the soil isn't up to snuff I'll use fertilizers.  If they're getting mauled by bugs I"ll use pesticides.  Everything still tastes great.  
The difference in quality between store bought and home grown is all about variety and freshness and has nothing to do with "organically grown" or not.
The fruits and veggies we grow taste dramatically better (more flavor & better texture) than the ones we buy in the store. It usually just boils down to vine ripening or not, and refrigeration (for extended periods during shipping/transit) or not.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
WHAT???  Chickens are communal animals and raised in chicken houses for better bio-security and disease prevention? There are no chicken herds out on the open range in places like Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas? They are not being rounded up by chicken wranglers with little lassos?

I feel so violated. Like everything I have been told by the smelly hippy, tree hugging, hipster, bi-sexual, liberals is a lie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same nonsense goes for the "free range chicken" that suckers are paying a premium for.

The chickens are raised in mega chicken coops like all the rest, but they have an exit door that leads to a small outdoor area that the chickens can "choose" to walk around in which few ever do.

WHAT???  Chickens are communal animals and raised in chicken houses for better bio-security and disease prevention? There are no chicken herds out on the open range in places like Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas? They are not being rounded up by chicken wranglers with little lassos?

I feel so violated. Like everything I have been told by the smelly hippy, tree hugging, hipster, bi-sexual, liberals is a lie.
I tried free-ranging my chickens at first. Foxes killed half my flock one day in a 45-minute span on time. My chickens are now confined to the coop/run, and a few days per week for a few hours at a time they get out to roam around the yard when we are present. It boils down to either I kill all the foxes, coyotes, bald eagles, and red tailed hawks in my area so my chickens can free range all day (unsupervised), or the chickens live out their lives mostly in a coop/run. And after their 2-3 productive years are done, the outcome is the same regardless of how they lived their lives (off with their heads!)

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What we don't grow we usually get at the farmer's market.  

It tastes/feels fresher, supports the local economy, and isn't covered in human waste/TP
View Quote

You hope, anyhow.

I'm convinced half those people buy stuff at Costco and resell it w/ 100% markup at a Farmer's Market.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You hope, anyhow.
I'm convinced half those people buy stuff at Costco and resell it w/ 100% markup at a Farmer's Market.

View Quote

lol our local farmers market is 90% local grown, raised, or created
but sometimes people will show up with something like peaches
that are both way out of season and dont even grow here
my wife picked up some kind of fruit and it had a sticker on it
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Expiration dates are based on when an item is produced. There is no magical chi-aura pyramid power in a cow that eats normal hay as opposed to Certified Organic Hay. Organic is a smaller % than normal. Seems very feasible that due to smaller quantities and specialization, the turnaround time could be much faster. Organic may spend a day or two less in the bulk tanks before skimming, homogenization and pasteurization. After packaging, it goes to distribution. First in, first out... What's the inventory buffer on normal vs the smaller organic?

Bottom line: if the expiration date is "longer", it's because it happens to get to the shelf quicker, not because it lasts longer.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Expiration dates are based on when an item is produced. There is no magical chi-aura pyramid power in a cow that eats normal hay as opposed to Certified Organic Hay. Organic is a smaller % than normal. Seems very feasible that due to smaller quantities and specialization, the turnaround time could be much faster. Organic may spend a day or two less in the bulk tanks before skimming, homogenization and pasteurization. After packaging, it goes to distribution. First in, first out... What's the inventory buffer on normal vs the smaller organic?

Bottom line: if the expiration date is "longer", it's because it happens to get to the shelf quicker, not because it lasts longer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's actually because Organic Milk producers, lacking the same distribution mechanisms the larger producers have put their milk through Ultra pasteurization, a process that more efficiently kills bacteria in the milk and allows it to sit for longer without spoiling.  If regular milk went through the same process, it would also have a longer shelf life, it's just not something that makes economic sense for the bigger non organic milk producers.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I generally don't worry too much about.  My wife and I grow our own green beans and corn so we have that covered.  The wife made a shitload of pickles this year.  We are also going to get a chicken coup going within a year.  I do know that grass beef tastes a hell of lot better than mass produced, corn fed beef.  I'm not saying the mass produced beef is bad for you, but the last calf we bought from a neighbor and had butchered was a lot better than grocery store beef.  YMMV.
View Quote

Will the chickens receive a coup de grass?

:)

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's actually because Organic Milk producers, lacking the same distribution mechanisms the larger producers have put their milk through Ultra pasteurization, a process that more efficiently kills bacteria in the milk and allows it to sit for longer without spoiling.  If regular milk went through the same process, it would also have a longer shelf life, it's just not something that makes economic sense for the bigger non organic milk producers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll buy that explanation. Makes sense.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Scientifically speaking, gasoline and other petroleum distillates are organic  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#31]
if America went 100% organic most of the third world would starve to death in a few months, because we would no longer have a huge surplus to sell or give away to low IQ people who breed like chickens..
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh, makes sense.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Organic food is for the gullible who liked to get ripped off. I know folks who buy vegetables at the grocery store and haul them to the "farmers market" on Saturday and sell them for twice the price. The hipster buy them out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Technically no because I used 10-10-10, although haven't sprayed a single thing in my garden all year.

I will say that for meat, just pony up for the antibiotic/hormone free stuff. It doesn't need to be organic to have a huge improvement in quality/flavor over the standard factory crap. Not grain fed, that just makes it lean or whatever.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#35]
whatever....

I buy organic veggies, and I buy "organic" meats that are raised locally.  To me its the same as someone else has said, "the fewer the better" but the bigger issue for me is the flavor...the stuff I buy tastes far, far better than any of the "regular" crap you can get in a supermarket.  It's a night and day difference, so I'll stick with the stuff that tastes better thank you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
whatever....

I buy organic veggies, and I buy "organic" meats that are raised locally.  To me its the same as someone else has said, "the fewer the better" but the bigger issue for me is the flavor...the stuff I buy tastes far, far better than any of the "regular" crap you can get in a supermarket.  It's a night and day difference, so I'll stick with the stuff that tastes better thank you.
View Quote

Stop doing what we don't do!!

Beauty of freedom, a person can buy whatever they want, from whomever they want.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I know enough about agriculture to know that "organic" is a bunch of bullshit.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll give a little insight into organic dairies. One of my customers is one of the largest organic producers in the country.

The cows have freestall barns just like any dairy but they are herded out and spend the required amount of time grazing on organic irrigated pasture.

They do everything by the book. Its very labor intensive and hard to keep track of. They are the most diligent record keepers ive ever met in the dairy business. Im shocked they can even make money at organic prices with how much labor goes into it.

All of their feed is grown organic also. Ive seen no cheating. They take pride in what they do and strive for quality milk.

Also, unlike every other dairy i work with, you wont just drive into an organic dairy. The 6 big organic farms here are fenced. Miles and miles of fences. You have to go through a gate with passcode and they have you sign in and out with the office staff. You are not allowed to go anywhere past the office without being accompanied by a dairy employee. And no, you cant drive in and meet them. They get radioed from the office, drive to meet you and then escort you around to do a bid or service call or whatever.

I choose not to eat organic food but every organic farm or dairy ive been to, did it legit.

Also forgot to mention the training. The organic barns do weekly training on sanitation, treatment of animals, safety, everything. Ive never seen a non organic dairy do that on a regular schedule, ever.

I can literally tell you what time and day all 6 of the organic dairies do their training every week. Its that structured.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Alot of my local suppliers farm using organic methods but are to small of operations to bother with the certification process.  I don't mind and my customers don't either, we both save money on our end.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I like some organic foods because they taste better.

Organic milk tastes amazing.  I don't care if it's puss and other nasty things making it taste better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I love paying extra money for worse food that goes bad faster. Who wouldn't?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

That is ridiculous! Obviously you have never been to one of those 'mega chicken coops'.

http://www.anh-usa.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/broilerchicken1.jpg

http://www.elephantjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/factory-farming-chickensstacked.jpg

Those chickens DO NOT get to free range.....if one dies in the cage, it is left to rot and the other chickens will begin to eat it. They also fester in their own feces and yes they WILL eat that too.......mmmmm mmmmmm good!

I have no dog in this fight as I raise my own chickens and only eat those......but do not think for a minute that the 'Mega Animal Farms' produce food as good as REAL free range / organic operations.......

But if it makes you feel better keep buying that crap and thinking it's just as healthy!
View Quote
I have been to a mega chicken coop and even helped gather the product for shipping.  Those caged chickens you show are there for transport and just short hours away from slaughter.  It is downright stupid to think that they live in cages like that.  But you're really smart and just showed that to mislead us right?

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Life expectancy is at an all time high in the Western world, and we've been using pesticides on our foods extensively for well over half a century.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#44]
The term is misleading. Organic means it has a carbon atom. My glacial rock dust and other soil ammendments dont' have a carbon atom. It's really a misleading term.

You can't feed the world like that but I've tried some "organic" methods on my garden and they worked great for bugs and blight. I use some 10:10:10 and other stuff that violates the "organic" code.

I put streptomyces in the soil for blight, and use a variety of bacterial sprays for bugs and blight. Plus silica spray to help the plants resist heat and stuff. It's been working great! I can selectively target certain bugs and not have to worry about my doggies or chickens.

In my research a lot of the information came from pot farmers.  
There's a place for everything. It doesn't really work well for produce meant for the market though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
You mean it's not all this??

http://i.imgur.com/sAU54mE.jpg

I also don't care for steaks sold as 'grass fed'. Something 'off' about them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same nonsense goes for the "free range chicken" that suckers are paying a premium for.

The chickens are raised in mega chicken coops like all the rest, but they have an exit door that leads to a small outdoor area that the chickens can "choose" to walk around in which few ever do.

You mean it's not all this??

http://i.imgur.com/sAU54mE.jpg

I also don't care for steaks sold as 'grass fed'. Something 'off' about them.

Cows were finished on grain for a reason. It made the meat taste better.

You can free range chickens with movable pens. People actually do this that have the appropriate land. This is all discussed in the homesteading forums. I refuse to purchase eggs from factory farms. Call me names but that's no way to treat animals. Luckily I have my own chickens.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Can confirm, got Gyno from eating hormonal chickens
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only eat organic chicken breast and grass fed beef because i read that the hormones in regular meat will make me grow tits brah

Can confirm, got Gyno from eating hormonal chickens

Well...this certainly confirms a suspicion.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Hes probably talking about those fatty meat birds. I don't remember what they're called, but after a few weeks they park their ass next to the feeder for the rest of their short life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

do you know how I know you don't know shit about chickens?

Hes probably talking about those fatty meat birds. I don't remember what they're called, but after a few weeks they park their ass next to the feeder for the rest of their short life.

Cornish X hybrids, or something like that. Meat birds. That's pretty much what they do, park their ass next to the food.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

its really about the soil, and whether or not micronutrients and major nutrients are present and available to the plant. i don't see the quality of nutrition that plants grown on sand or depleted soils is comparable to plants grown on fertile soils. it sounds silly, but the tongue has taste buds that detect different compounds and elements. most veggies in a grocery store are bland compared to the same veggie grown in a garden, at least in my experience.
View Quote

I supplement the soil in my raised beds with glacial rock dust, green sand,  and other rock dust. It remineralizes the soil. I also compost.

The tomato vines overflowed.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#49]
I got caught up in the whole neonic labeling thing with Home Depot and pulled all neonics from spray rotation.

The issue now is what do I spray to control insects?

I'm using a shitload of different stuff, including a return to organophosphate chemistry, which really is less safe than the neonic chemistry.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Which has exactly nothing to do with being "organic" and everything to do with local farmers not having to grow varieties with tougher skin that is necessary for the big stores shipping tomatoes all over the place if they don't want to end up with a truck full of ketchup at the end of the road.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The quality is definitely better; tomatoes for example, taste great - not at all like the flavorless crap you get at the supermarket.

Exactly, some varieties will not hold up for the marketing process.

Also, not all organic grown produce is high quality, some is really crappy. It's really only good for small (very small) operations. It's great for a small home garden because I have the time to spray a couple times a week, plus I am reluctant to use things that affect my pets or the good bugs. I really like worms.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top