Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I believe that if a sign is posted that warns shoppers before they buy that sales are subject to verification before exiting their store, they are perfectly within their rights.  Stores get to set the terms of the sale.  If they have that sign posted, and you purchase, you are agreeing to have your bag inspected.  If you do not, they can rescind the sale.  It's like a sign i the entry that says "No Pennies" or "No Cash Sales" - yes, you might be offering legal tender, but they can set the terms of the sale as long as it doesn't violate the terms of the UCC or are otherwise "unconscionable".

From a practical standpoint?  If you feel that strongly about it, just keep walking, they won't make a big deal.  And they cannot detain you physically. But they *could* call LEO for a complaint for theft and/or trespassing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
THEIR BUSINESS THEIR RULES.
Not if its not a club and you have bought and paid for your merchandise.  Their rules til you own it.....that being said...Oh well just keep walking.  .5/10

Yup, you're under no legal obligation to show your receipt, you completed the transaction in front of a store employee. It's YOUR property, not theirs. Period, end of story.

If they have reason to believe you stole something, they can (in some states) detain you. Otherwise, unless you signed an agreement to do this (Costco), just tell them politely "no thank you" and keep walking.

I believe that if a sign is posted that warns shoppers before they buy that sales are subject to verification before exiting their store, they are perfectly within their rights.  Stores get to set the terms of the sale.  If they have that sign posted, and you purchase, you are agreeing to have your bag inspected.  If you do not, they can rescind the sale.  It's like a sign i the entry that says "No Pennies" or "No Cash Sales" - yes, you might be offering legal tender, but they can set the terms of the sale as long as it doesn't violate the terms of the UCC or are otherwise "unconscionable".

From a practical standpoint?  If you feel that strongly about it, just keep walking, they won't make a big deal.  And they cannot detain you physically. But they *could* call LEO for a complaint for theft and/or trespassing.

lol. No.

They can kick you out of the store and off their property for not letting them check your bag or receipt but once the merchandise is paid for they cannot rescind the transaction.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Not as much as leaves by employee theft. Besides, receipt checking only prevents ONE type of theft, and a not-very-savvy one at that.

They don't scrutinize your cart, bag, belongings, they're mostly just checking the receipt generally matches the cart's containers and that it has a current (and recent date).

They're still getting robbed blind, it's a feel-good measure...and mildly insulting for honest people (or it should be).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have no idea how much shit just walks out the door, do you?

Not as much as leaves by employee theft. Besides, receipt checking only prevents ONE type of theft, and a not-very-savvy one at that.

They don't scrutinize your cart, bag, belongings, they're mostly just checking the receipt generally matches the cart's containers and that it has a current (and recent date).

They're still getting robbed blind, it's a feel-good measure...and mildly insulting for honest people (or it should be).

This
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Costco and Sams yeah because I agreed to it. Walmart or elsewhere lol no I just keep walking. FWIW at my local wal mart I only chose to ignore them after observing stupid practices. I.E. hassling people that are otherwise normal and look like upstanding citizens mean while turning away if some sheister walks by or person of color.  Sort of like the TSA lets not profile the people who need to be profiled instead lets fuck with grandma and her 5 year old grandson because we wouldn't want to be seen as racist.
View Quote

It always amazes me how many people say here "you should obey costco policy because you agreed to it" and in other GD thread when it comes to concealed carrying the response is usually "fuck their rules, I can't read them at the door, concealed means concealed, shall not infringe, merica, etc"
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn boy, thats getting angry over what we in the south call "piddly shit"

When is the last time you had your blood pressure checked?

BP is fine.....that's why I have all of you in GD to keep me lauging
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not my problem. Sounds like loss prevention needs to do a better job of you know.. PREVENTING.

This.

Part of the problem is that, legally, an item hasn't been stolen until the person has left the store without paying - just putting an item in your pocket and walking toward the door doesn't count.  So there's this (literally) small space between the checkout and the door where LP can apprehend a shoplifter and say "They were leaving without paying" and before they make it outside and bolt.

Yeah, it sucks.  There are always other stores at which you can shop.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is that you Libertarian Yankee?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that you Libertarian Yankee?

No, but you can call me that when you are peeing in my butt.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Checking at the door actually helps the store deter shoplifting and helps keeps prices down.

What you don't realize is stores like Walmart lose almost $1 million or more dollars per store due

to shoplifting and it's getting worse because of lax enforcement.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
lol. No.

They can kick you out of the store and off their property for not letting them check your bag or receipt but once the merchandise is paid for they cannot rescind the transaction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if its not a club and you have bought and paid for your merchandise.  Their rules til you own it.....that being said...Oh well just keep walking.  .5/10

Yup, you're under no legal obligation to show your receipt, you completed the transaction in front of a store employee. It's YOUR property, not theirs. Period, end of story.

If they have reason to believe you stole something, they can (in some states) detain you. Otherwise, unless you signed an agreement to do this (Costco), just tell them politely "no thank you" and keep walking.

lol. No.

Exactly, ownership is already established. I've never seen a sign like that, anywhere...certainly never anywhere that checks bags (although in my AO Walmart and Home Depot are the only two that have ever done it).
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a HUGE disappointment to me that some 40% of ARF, as of this post, are a bunch of pussy 'I WILL COMPLY' types with your "their business their rules" rhetoric....Where is your backbone?  Where is your dignity?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Checking at the door actually helps the store deter shoplifting and helps keeps prices down.

What you don't realize is stores like Walmart lose almost $1 million or more dollars per store due

View Quote

Exactly correcto mundo. I would rather shop in a store that has less shoplifting and hopefully keeps the trash over at the 24 hour Walmart.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#12]
FUCK COSTCO - they are a bunch of anti-gun assholes
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's a HUGE disappointment to me that some 40% of ARF, as of this post, are a bunch of pussy 'I WILL COMPLY' types with your "their business their rules" rhetoric....Where is your backbone?  Where is your dignity?
View Quote

Says a gun owner who lives in California

That is so rich...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry OP. You're a dick. Their store, their rules. You are not entitled nor do you have a right to do business with them. You do so willingly.

And that's to say nothing of the fact that it takes a real sour puss to pu as much time and effort in to complaining about it as you did with that post. Your girlfriend was right.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure if you're talking to me, but I'll assume you are.  Yeah, I'm aware that stores have huge losses.  It's hard to ignore when you hear the RF detectors (or whatever they are) at the exit doors go off.....and you turn to see someone hauling ass with a cart overflowing with stolen products, and no one from LP does shit about it....  Yeah, I'm aware.....but I still fail to see how I as an honest consumer should be penalized for the stores inability to institute working Loss Prevention.  If they are losing so much $$$$$ per year, then hire more staff.  Don't make it MY problem.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Never had that happen to me at a Home Depot. If it did I guess I would show my receipt.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Considering Walmart is one of the principle "checkers" out there, and they're losing more to employee theft than shoplifters, and checking the receipt doesn't deter shit except receipt-scammers (which are just one type of shoplifters), I'd say they're twiddling their thumbs and doing nothing. Hell, it's even easy to scam the checkers, watched a shot on TLC about shoplifting and the pros were saying that making a fake receipt was easier than trying to sneak stuff out.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not my problem. Sounds like loss prevention needs to do a better job of you know.. PREVENTING.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what do you think they are doing? WTF?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Post 1-3, pick one and move the fuck on.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That is so rich...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is so rich...

A thorn in their side, my friend.... Been sticking it to The Man since '65....

ETA:  Plus, it's ARF that I come to for inspiration and to keep my internal bullshit meter properly calibrated
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sorry OP. You're a dick. Their store, their rules. You are not entitled nor do you have a right to do business with them. You do so willingly.

And that's to say nothing of the fact that it takes a real sour puss to pu as much time and effort in to complaining about it as you did with that post. Your girlfriend was right.
View Quote

Great CoC violation there, nice going. Also, it's not their stores and their rules. Once you own something, by legal purchase, it is not the store's legal right to detain or search you, or make you prove you bought it. They can only stop you if they believe (under a legal criteria) that you have been stealing.

If you're going to go all insulty about something and run someone down, at least be right.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You are not entitled nor do you have a right to do business with them. You do so willingly.

View Quote

Tell me again how that worked out for the Wedding Cake people and the Wedding Photographer?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Guess what loss prevention came up with?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]
meh.. i like taking the 'let's make everyone's day easier and not be an asshole' way to go...

it's not a big deal, though i guess some people like telling bag checkers to fuck off after refusing to pull ahead in a drive thru line to make everyone else wait to 'prove a point' or whatever.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, it's truly dignified going to a merchant you don't like and who you KNOW will do something you don't like at the exit just so you can save a buck or two over some other store or a couple of days over mail order.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Check the store shopping bag? Sure I don't care.

Check my personal possessions such as backpacks, etc?  Go pound sand.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are much better ways of doing it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

MY PROPERTY MY RULES
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#29]
How are you going to shoplift a 4x8 sheet of plywood?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

MY PROPERTY MY RULES
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MY PROPERTY MY RULES

Thank you, your Boldness.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, for fuck's sake....who do you think pays for all that 'shrink'?

Do you actually believe the business will absorb that expense or can't you fathom the fact that they pass that extra expense on to you and me?

Indeed it is your problem.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I entered the store to conduct a business exchange.  I gave them money for their product, it is now my product.   I would find it fair, that they pay me to see my product now if they are so inclined.

The only thing left at that point is negotiating the price for them to see my receipt.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How are you going to shoplift a 4x8 sheet of plywood?
View Quote

Prison Purse??
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I entered the store to conduct a business exchange.  I gave them money for their product, it is now my product.   I would find it fair, that they pay me to see my product now if they are so inclined.

The only thing left at that point is negotiating the price for them to see my receipt.
View Quote

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. OP needs to switch to decaf and if this is the worse problem in the OP's life, life is good for him. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#36]
The only store that does this around here is Sams. You show the 80 year old man your receipt, he marks it, smiles, and says "have a nice day."

Why so angry, OP? Did that nice old man touch you where the sun don't shine?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Oh the irony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once I pay for items in a store, they are my property, and it does NOT matter that I'm still in the store until I get out the door.

Further, I don't feel the need to prove it to anyone....certainly not to the min. wage douche at the door checking receipts.

I hate having to waste time stopping on my way out the door at HOMEDEPOT to show my receipt for MY PROPERTY.   There are many other stores that do this too.  If a store is having problems with shrinkage and theft, that's their problem and they should put in more cameras and/or more security.  But they're too cheap to do that, and try and make it the customers problem by wasting our time.    

Now COSTCO for example is a different story.  There, you've paid for a MEMBERSHIP, and are obligated to follow their rules as such...one of which is having your receipt door checked.

But HOMEDEPOT ?   Fuck them.   Back when I was single, I was dating a girl that got all pissy with me because she felt I disrespected the receipt checker @ the door by blowing by him and ignoring his request to SHOW MY PAPERS.

Discuss.  Poll inbound.

Oh the irony.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

MY PROPERTY MY RULES
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MY PROPERTY MY RULES

Are you saying this while standing on their property or are you on your own property?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. If they take issue with my refusal to allow them to inspect my property, they can ask me to leave and I will comply.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Not sure if you're talking to me, but I'll assume you are. Yeah, I'm aware that stores have huge losses. It's hard to ignore when you hear the RF detectors (or whatever they are) at the exit doors go off.....and you turn to see someone hauling ass with a cart overflowing with stolen products, and no one from LP does shit about it.... Yeah, I'm aware.....but I still fail to see how I as an honest consumer should be penalized for the stores inability to institute working Loss Prevention. If they are losing so much $$$$$ per year, then hire more staff. Don't make it MY problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure if you're talking to me, but I'll assume you are. Yeah, I'm aware that stores have huge losses. It's hard to ignore when you hear the RF detectors (or whatever they are) at the exit doors go off.....and you turn to see someone hauling ass with a cart overflowing with stolen products, and no one from LP does shit about it.... Yeah, I'm aware.....but I still fail to see how I as an honest consumer should be penalized for the stores inability to institute working Loss Prevention. If they are losing so much $$$$$ per year, then hire more staff. Don't make it MY problem.

For the love of God...are you totally vapid or just being obtuse? Who do you think gets to pick up the fucking tab either way?

Stolen goods or increased loss prevention...it costs money that YOU get to pay for.

There's an old sayin' in the South about 'cutting' of your nose to spite your face'. Look into it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The worst stupidity is when I'm at the check out line that's right in front of the door, in clear eye line to the receipt checker........and there is no one else leaving the store while I'm completing my transaction.  The door checker is looking right at me as I pay...and watches them go into the bag or my cart.

And then, 10 seconds later, he STILL wants to see my receipt ??  What - the - fuck, dude....you JUST saw me pay for that shit.....you just watched the register girl put them into the cart.  GO FUCK YOURSELF
View Quote

Yea, but the receipt checker has no way of knowing whether the cashier passed some or all the stuff to you without you paying. That's also one of the things being checked for.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yep. OP needs to switch to decaf and if this is the worse problem in the OP's life, life is good for him. Don't sweat the small stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well......I got some sun burn yesterday...but the Aloe from the garden is doing it's thing....
I've got jury duty this week, but so far they haven't called me in...it's like being on hold all week...kind of frustrated about that...perhaps worthy of another thread?
Oh, and after I get done here with you,  I'm having trouble deciding if I should concentrate on .308 loads for my R700 on the chance that I don't get called in to Jury Duty on Thursday, which is my normal range day
-or-
If I should spend my time working up new 9mm loads...I had been running 124g FN over 4.0g of Titegroup, but in an effort to get a bigger push on the MGM Spinners, I'm switching to 147g FN.  Problem is I'll really need to go to an indoor range to shoot the load workups, and I hate indoor ranges.  
Yeah, 1st World Problems...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yea, but the receipt checker has no way of knowing whether the cashier passed some or all the stuff to you without you paying. That's also one of the things being checked for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The worst stupidity is when I'm at the check out line that's right in front of the door, in clear eye line to the receipt checker........and there is no one else leaving the store while I'm completing my transaction.  The door checker is looking right at me as I pay...and watches them go into the bag or my cart.

And then, 10 seconds later, he STILL wants to see my receipt ??  What - the - fuck, dude....you JUST saw me pay for that shit.....you just watched the register girl put them into the cart.  GO FUCK YOURSELF

No it's not.  They are not taking in the totality of the 70 items I purchased in their 1 second scan.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

For the love of God...are you totally vapid or just being obtuse? Who do you think gets to pick up the fucking tab either way?

Stolen goods or increased loss prevention...it costs money that YOU get to pay for.

There's an old sayin' in the South about 'cutting' of your nose to spite your face'. Look into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you believe that the receipt checker at the door is an effective loss prevention measure?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#45]
You showed that 80 year old greeter.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Sure except it doesn't actually prevent anything. The rare times I did stop they gave a half ass glance IF that and made a line on my receipt with a fucking highlighter. They didn't check that a single thing matched the receipt that was in my cart or bags. In theory sure. But when its half ass executed by their own employees thats when I run out of fucks to give and keep walking. If you're going to do it , fine do it but do it correctly and consistently or else you're just wasting my fucking time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#47]
I go through receipt checkers like Robert Stack goes through hippies at the airport.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Sounds like OP took the 405 to the 105 to the 110 to the 60 to the 10 to the 5 to the 2 today.
But hey man, we have good weather
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You showed that 80 year old greeter.
View Quote

Damn straight I did.  Next time, he'll see me comin' and step the fuck out of my way.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I go through receipt checkers like Robert Stack goes through hippies at the airport.
View Quote

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top