Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 7/28/2015 2:54:30 PM EDT
Once I pay for items in a store, they are my property, and it does NOT matter that I'm still in the store until I get out the door.

Further, I don't feel the need to prove it to anyone....certainly not to the min. wage douche at the door checking receipts.

I hate having to waste time stopping on my way out the door at HOMEDEPOT to show my receipt for MY PROPERTY.   There are many other stores that do this too.  If a store is having problems with shrinkage and theft, that's their problem and they should put in more cameras and/or more security.  But they're too cheap to do that, and try and make it the customers problem by wasting our time.    

Now COSTCO for example is a different story.  There, you've paid for a MEMBERSHIP, and are obligated to follow their rules as such...one of which is having your receipt door checked.

But HOMEDEPOT ?   Fuck them.   Back when I was single, I was dating a girl that got all pissy with me because she felt I disrespected the receipt checker @ the door by blowing by him and ignoring his request to SHOW MY PAPERS.

Discuss.  Poll inbound.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
When you sign up for Costco, you agree to the rules.  Their store, their rules.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#2]
THEIR BUSINESS THEIR RULES.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn boy, thats getting angry over what we in the south call "piddly shit"

When is the last time you had your blood pressure checked?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Check the store shopping bag? Sure I don't care.

Check my personal possessions such as backpacks, etc?  Go pound sand.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Once I pay for items in a store, they are my property, and it does NOT matter that I'm still in the store until I get out the door.

Further, I don't feel the need to prove it to anyone....certainly not to the min. wage douche at the door checking receipts.

I hate having to waste time stopping on my way out the door at HOMEDEPOT to show my receipt for MY PROPERTY.   There are many other stores that do this too.  If a store is having problems with shrinkage and theft, that's their problem and they should put in more cameras and/or more security.  But they're too cheap to do that, and try and make it the customers problem by wasting our time.    

Now COSTCO for example is a different story.  There, you've paid for a MEMBERSHIP, and are obligated to follow their rules as such...one of which is having your receipt door checked.

But HOMEDEPOT ?   Fuck them.   Back when I was single, I was dating a girl that got all pissy with me because she felt I disrespected the receipt checker @ the door by blowing by him and ignoring his request to SHOW MY PAPERS.

Discuss.  Poll inbound.
View Quote

Well, someone certainly is.  Not sure it's the kid just doing his job at the door though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
New and innovative topic teener.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Not if its not a club and you have bought and paid for your merchandise.  Their rules til you own it.....that being said...Oh well just keep walking.  .5/10
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
At Home Depot just walk out, most likely only the lost prevention employee (when I worked for Lowe's there was only 1) is the only person authorized to stop you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Title suggests this thread geared toward suburban Rage Against The Machine fans.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for letting us know.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kids these fucking days.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I bet OP refuses to pull forward in the drive thru.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't see much difference between a club store doing it, and a general population store doing it.

In either case, their store, their rules.  If you know they check receipts, then don't shop there.  Simple as that.  Once you know they check them, it's on you, not them.  At that point, they're on the same level as the paid club store.  If it's your very first trip to that store, and you get stopped for a receipt check, then you can bitch...but that's your only chance.  On your second trip, you can't bitch anymore...why?  Because you knew it was going to happen, and you still shopped there.

All that being said, you should immediately turn around and walk to customer service and return all the items.  When asked why, tell them because of the receipt checker.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well.....sometimes the fries are not hot and fresh....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

What a dutch bag.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Just pull forward and wait for your food. Jesus it's just a drive thru, man.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Title suggests this thread geared toward suburban Rage Against The Machine fans.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Kids these fucking days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kids these fucking days.

And if this had never been done before, I still wouldn't give a rat's ass.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that you Libertarian Yankee?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#22]
You seem high strung.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't see much difference between a club store doing it, and a general population store doing it.

In either case, their store, their rules.  If you know they check receipts, then don't shop there.  Simple as that.  Once you know they check them, it's on you, not them.  At that point, they're on the same level as the paid club store.  If it's your very first trip to that store, and you get stopped for a receipt check, then you can bitch...but that's your only chance.  On your second trip, you can't bitch anymore...why?  Because you knew it was going to happen, and you still shopped there.

All that being said, you should immediately turn around and walk to customer service and return all the items.  When asked why, tell them because of the receipt checker.
View Quote

Yeah.....we're going to have to disagree....a lot.

I don't believe that 'their rules' trump 'my rules'.  Their 'rules' have no legal weight.  It's my property....why do I have to prove anything to them?  Would you consider it reasonable for them to search your property elsewhere in the store?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Cry less.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#25]
This is a novel topic for a thread.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Oh the irony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss.  Poll inbound.

Oh the irony.

Meaning that rather than the expense to monitor every aisle, they cut costs by trying to stop everyone at the door.  Please follow along.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Not if its not a club and you have bought and paid for your merchandise.  Their rules til you own it.....that being said...Oh well just keep walking.  .5/10
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, you're under no legal obligation to show your receipt, you completed the transaction in front of a store employee. It's YOUR property, not theirs. Period, end of story.

If they have reason to believe you stole something, they can (in some states) detain you. Otherwise, unless you signed an agreement to do this (Costco), just tell them politely "no thank you" and keep walking.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You seem high strung.
View Quote

I was told in another thread that I'm what happens when passive aggressive meets really aggressive.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Costco and Sams yeah because I agreed to it. Walmart or elsewhere lol no I just keep walking. FWIW at my local wal mart I only chose to ignore them after observing stupid practices. I.E. hassling people that are otherwise normal and look like upstanding citizens mean while turning away if some sheister walks by or person of color.  Sort of like the TSA lets not profile the people who need to be profiled instead lets fuck with grandma and her 5 year old grandson because we wouldn't want to be seen as racist.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yup, you're under no legal obligation to show your receipt, you completed the transaction in front of a store employee. If they have reason to believe you stole something, they can (in some states) detain you. Otherwise, unless you signed an agreement to do this (Costco), just tell them politely "no thank you" and keep walking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, you're under no legal obligation to show your receipt, you completed the transaction in front of a store employee. If they have reason to believe you stole something, they can (in some states) detain you. Otherwise, unless you signed an agreement to do this (Costco), just tell them politely "no thank you" and keep walking.

THAT'S what I'M saying!  Thank you, Sir, and have a nice day.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

and when you don't follow them, what happens? You've completed your transaction, goods have been exchanged for currency.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Costco and Sams, Yep I agreed to that when I bought a membership.

at Walmart or Home Depot.... get out of my way, I'm leaving.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Costco and Sams yeah because I agreed to it. Walmart or elsewhere lol no I just keep walking.
View Quote

Oh, right....I forgot Walmart, thanks....and may all fuck be upon them too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Costco and Sams yeah because I agreed to it. Walmart or elsewhere lol no I just keep walking.
View Quote

Oh, right....I forgot Walmart, thanks....and may all fuck be upon them too.
View Quote

FWIW at my local wal mart I only chose to ignore them after observing stupid practices. I.E. hassling people that are otherwise normal and look like upstanding citizens mean while turning away if some sheister walks by or person of color. Sort of like the TSA lets not profile the people who need to be profiled instead lets fuck with grandma and her 5 year old grandson because we wouldn't want to be seen as racist.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#36]
No blading.  No "You will not touch my weapon."

Come on man, you can do better than this.

Sadly,

" />
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#37]
You have no idea how much shit just walks out the door, do you?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not my problem. Sounds like loss prevention needs to do a better job of you know.. PREVENTING.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#39]
As long as the checker at the door treats me with respect I have no problem and treat them with respect and I am on my way . The rare times I have gotten the Gestopo treatment I will bitch about it or tell them to pound.

Others can do as they choose but I don't see the problem
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

The vast majority of people seem to get pissed over piddly shit nowadays.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

People absolutely don't load up carts with thousands of dollars of merchandise and just wheel it out the door all willy-nilly without paying.  This is America.  We're civilized and shit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I was told in another thread that I'm what happens when passive aggressive meets really aggressive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You seem high strung.

That's not exactly how I'd describe it, but as long as your path to the short bus doesn't slow or inconvience me you can act in any tarded way you want.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not my problem. Sounds like loss prevention needs to do a better job of you know.. PREVENTING.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yup, you're under no legal obligation to show your receipt, you completed the transaction in front of a store employee. It's YOUR property, not theirs. Period, end of story.

If they have reason to believe you stole something, they can (in some states) detain you. Otherwise, unless you signed an agreement to do this (Costco), just tell them politely "no thank you" and keep walking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that if a sign is posted that warns shoppers before they buy that sales are subject to verification before exiting their store, they are perfectly within their rights.  Stores get to set the terms of the sale.  If they have that sign posted, and you purchase, you are agreeing to have your bag inspected.  If you do not, they can rescind the sale.  It's like a sign i the entry that says "No Pennies" or "No Cash Sales" - yes, you might be offering legal tender, but they can set the terms of the sale as long as it doesn't violate the terms of the UCC or are otherwise "unconscionable".

From a practical standpoint?  If you feel that strongly about it, just keep walking, they won't make a big deal.  And they cannot detain you physically. But they *could* call LEO for a complaint for theft and/or trespassing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not as much as leaves by employee theft. Besides, receipt checking only prevents ONE type of theft, and a not-very-savvy one at that.

They don't scrutinize your cart, bag, belongings, they're mostly just checking the receipt generally matches the cart's containers and that it has a current (and recent date).

They're still getting robbed blind, it's a feel-good measure...and mildly insulting for honest people (or it should be).
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What a dutch bag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a dutch bag.

Did Op say he blew the door check guy?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#49]
The worst stupidity is when I'm at the check out line that's right in front of the door, in clear eye line to the receipt checker........and there is no one else leaving the store while I'm completing my transaction.  The door checker is looking right at me as I pay...and watches them go into the bag or my cart.

And then, 10 seconds later, he STILL wants to see my receipt ??  What - the - fuck, dude....you JUST saw me pay for that shit.....you just watched the register girl put them into the cart.  GO FUCK YOURSELF
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top