Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If that boat wound up at Ponce Inlet, then they didn't make it too far offshore
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know I was just referring to the topic that pops up with very young kids walking across town by themselves. I don't think that's appropriate for young kids with some of the dangers that exist in our society today.
View Quote

In point of fact, it's less dangerous today than it's ever been.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm not sure what my state of residency has to do with anything, so I'll assume you are incapable of forming an intelligent response to what I said but were too uncivilized to simply not say anything at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL California, we understand freedom and personal responsibility is foreign to you. My neighbor is 16 and flies his dads cessna in the mountains to go sheep hunting for 4-6 days at a time in butt fuck Alaska, that must be really scarey.

I'm not sure what my state of residency has to do with anything, so I'll assume you are incapable of forming an intelligent response to what I said but were too uncivilized to simply not say anything at all.
DU troll

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And other than the immediate family, on a macro scale, is that a bad thing?  How utterly puissified we have become.  People die all the time pushing the limits.   That is not necessarily a bad thing.   In fact, I would argue that them pushing the limits is a good thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It wasn't unusual for me to go spend 2-3 days at a time in the woods of my family farm as a kid. Some parents still have faith in their kids not being complete retards.

Shit happens, if they'd been 30 they could still have disappeared or had an accident.

Exactly!!

I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico spending summer months shrimping and fishing with my Dad and Uncle. I spent a considerable amount of time at the helm of boats 90'-120' in length at an early age.
When I was 14, I was taking my Dad's 42' trawler 30-40 miles out in the Gulf, with teener friends for a crew. I made countless over the weekend trips to the middle grounds before I graduated high school.
Age has nothing to do with ability! Tho I don't think I personally would have tried to run the Bahamas in a 19' boat.

Actually age has everything to do with it. Apparently you are still young enough to be blinded by arrogance in your abilities. Fortunately you've never been set straight cause many, like these boys,  end up dead in the process.

And other than the immediate family, on a macro scale, is that a bad thing?  How utterly puissified we have become.  People die all the time pushing the limits.   That is not necessarily a bad thing.   In fact, I would argue that them pushing the limits is a good thing.

Right but at 14 its very easy to have confidence in abilities exceed the experience of the situation. Theres a good reason we dont see 19 year old people flying 747's or 21 year old doctors performing complicated neurosurgery.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Its not arrogance my friend! Its confidence in my abilities due to the seamanship and knowledge that was passed on to me by my Father, Grandfather and Uncle. All of whom spent their entire lives commercial fishing in the Gulf of Mexico and along the eastern Atlantic.
Its most likely these boys did not have a complete understanding of what they were getting into. As I stated previously, "I would not have attempted that crossing in a 19' boat"! But that comes with the 40 years of experience I have on the water.
View Quote

Thats the key, your 40 years of experience. Precious few people at age 14, regardless of how much teaching they were exposed to, have the experience to understand the full possibilities of their actions.

When the weather is fair everything seems like a good idea. Its when things turn south you have serious problems. Ask any pilot who would tell you how hot shit he was with his newly minted license how much fun it is to push the weather.....

There is a reason the saying goes "Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground!"

Its very easy for the arrogance of youth to blind us to the experience needed for what otherwise look like simple tasks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
DU troll

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL California, we understand freedom and personal responsibility is foreign to you. My neighbor is 16 and flies his dads cessna in the mountains to go sheep hunting for 4-6 days at a time in butt fuck Alaska, that must be really scarey.

DU troll

See my previous reply.
Pretend we're in 3rd grade. If you cant say something nice.....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Parents are looking for someone to blame.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty sure they weren't going to the Bahamas. A witness saw them clear the inlet with 2 other boats and the other 2 boats turned south while they turned north. Probably were fishing the ledge when the storm rolled in. Flat calm seas to 6 footers in a matter of minutes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

We did this already.
View Quote

But we can always use another thread to illustrate the rampant 'pussification' of GD'ers.

"That's DANGEROUS!"  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pretty sure they weren't going to the Bahamas. A witness saw them clear the inlet with 2 other boats and the other 2 boats turned south while they turned north. Probably were fishing the ledge when the storm rolled in. Flat calm seas to 6 footers in a matter of minutes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but you know what I mean... the CG would have found that boat in Hatteras if they had made it as far as the stream.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FPNI

I mean, it sucks, but what's the alternative, never doing anything with your life?

A ship in harbor is safe.  But that's not what ships are for.
View Quote

This, by the time I was 16 I owned a 26' Oregon Dory and routinely took 150+ mile trips in it (on the Bering Sea), and even hit a bad srorm or 3. My dad taught me well and he know I had the skill to be out there. In the winter I would travel 200 miles by snowmobile to see friends in other villages. Not all of us grew up sheltered and afraid of the big bad world.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#13]
You ought to read the book "Bud and me". About these two brothers.  It is a great read about a bygone era of childhood in America

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Abernathy_and_Temple_Abernathy
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You running around in the woods is way different that someone going out into the ocean in a 19 ft boat.

A storm hits while you are out playing in the woods............................you walk home a little wet and mad about your day being cut short.
A storm hits while you are out in the ocean on a 19 ft. boat................you could never come back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It wasn't unusual for me to go spend 2-3 days at a time in the woods of my family farm as a kid. Some parents still have faith in their kids not being complete retards.

Shit happens, if they'd been 30 they could still have disappeared or had an accident.

You running around in the woods is way different that someone going out into the ocean in a 19 ft boat.

A storm hits while you are out playing in the woods............................you walk home a little wet and mad about your day being cut short.
A storm hits while you are out in the ocean on a 19 ft. boat................you could never come back.

But they'd be totally safe if mom was with them?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thats the key, your 40 years of experience. Precious few people at age 14, regardless of how much teaching they were exposed to, have the experience to understand the full possibilities of their actions.

When the weather is fair everything seems like a good idea. Its when things turn south you have serious problems. Ask any pilot who would tell you how hot shit he was with his newly minted license how much fun it is to push the weather.....

There is a reason the saying goes "Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground!"

Its very easy for the arrogance of youth to blind us to the experience needed for what otherwise look like simple tasks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not arrogance my friend! Its confidence in my abilities due to the seamanship and knowledge that was passed on to me by my Father, Grandfather and Uncle. All of whom spent their entire lives commercial fishing in the Gulf of Mexico and along the eastern Atlantic.
Its most likely these boys did not have a complete understanding of what they were getting into. As I stated previously, "I would not have attempted that crossing in a 19' boat"! But that comes with the 40 years of experience I have on the water.

Brain surgery and 747's is an "apples to oranges" argument. You're talking about things that require YEARS of training and immense skill sets.
Look at it this way. In most states, 16 yr olds can get a drivers license and operate a vehicle in traffic with no supervision. Taking that into consideration with today's traffic issues and there is absolutely no reason why a 14 yr old with some training can't take a boat 50 miles to the Bahamas. The article states that these boys were experienced boaters and knew the local waters. So they had some experience and knowledge. I believe the size of their boat was the real issue. Those waters can blow up quickly this time of year.

I give them a 10 for having the balls for adventure. They could have done the norm for a 14'r and been in front of an Xbox or TV eating cheetos and getting fat!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#16]
There are days to go on the Atlantic and days not to go.

Your life depends on it.

The kids screwed up and the parents screwed up if they gave permissions.

Plus that kind of boat had a real short stern. Water could easily fill the boat from the stern and sink it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

LOL.  Do you still prechew your children's food for them also?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same type of "free range" parents  that let their five and six-year-olds walk across town unsupervised by themselves. That's extremely dangerous for 14-year-olds to do by themselves(boating in the ocean).

LOL.  Do you still prechew your children's food for them also?

No shit, right? The summer between Junior and senior year my best friend and I built an ultra light out of electrical conduit, tyvec and an old snowmobile engine, my dad swore up and down we were going to kill ourselves. We got 7 flight before we (probably for the best) broke it on a hard landing and moved on to whatever idiocy we found for entertainment.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#18]
<---------8 yrs Coast Guard Search & Rescue boat Cox'n..

It's a fucked up situation any way you look at it..
Had I encountered them on the water & found their ages & intentions I might have called it a "manifestly unsafe voyage" based on conditions & distance involved. Operator experience is NOT a criteria in these decisions.
source: 46 United States Code 4302 and 4308
Damn sure would have been some WTF phone calls happening.
It sux when ya have to pick up a young one laid out in the stokes litter covered with a blanket.
Had to do that too many times.
Prayers & condolences to all involved
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Summer I turned 10 years old, I was often SOLO  around  Kachemak Bay  either  skiff with outboard, or a  17 foot canoe. checking nets, and   exploring or fuckin around.
No radios,  no telephones, no possible way of  emergency comms.

that was  20  years before cell phones existed, and there was  no GPS system.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#20]
The local word is that they weren't headed to the Bahamas. That was a rumor that was floating around their middle school.

They put $110 in gas in the boat the morning they headed out. That's about 25 gallons down here.

They told their families they were going cobia fishing. Which is usually done right off the beaches, or over reefs. The Gulfstream is about 9 miles out from Jupiter inlet. They could have easily been 3 miles offshore, flipped the boat, and have the boat end up where it was found.

Bad situation all around.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe mom would bring some safety equipment or not go out in a 19 ft boat with bad weather predicted.  Then again, I could slip and drown in my dog's water bowl later on today.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Dupe, personal attacks
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top