BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most people don't know their own 1/2 acre property boundaries let alone the difference between a national park and open/farm land in the middle of a desert.  Baiting is legal on most of those hunts so it would be a non issue.  And again, you pay the going rate, you expect everything to be on the up and up.  From there, you simply do what the guides say.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Official press release from ZCTF:

THE LION
July 28, 2015

We have just discovered the identity of the killer of Cecil the lion. His details are as follows:

WALTER JAMES PALMER

Passport no: xxxxxxxxxxx

Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxx Larding Road,

Eden Prairie

MN 55347

This would suggest that he is American and not Spanish as we previously stated.

On or about the 6th July 2013, Walter James Palmer was taken to Hwange National Park by professional hunter Theo Bronkhorst. They went hunting at night with a spotlight and they spotted Cecil. They tied a dead animal to their vehicle to lure Cecil out of the park and they scented an area about half a kilometre from the park. Mr Palmer shot Cecil with a bow and arrow but this shot didn’t kill him. They tracked him down and found him 40 hours later when they shot him with a gun. They found that he was fitted with a GPS collar because he was being studied by the Hwange Lion Research, funded by Oxford University so they tried to destroy the collar but failed because it was found.

Cecil was skinned and beheaded. We don’t know the whereabouts of the head. Walter Palmer apparently paid USD50 000 for the kill and we assume Theo Bronkhorst received this money. Cecil, who was known all over the world would have earned millions of dollars just from sightseeing. There was apparently no quota or licence for a lion to be killed in this area.

The saddest part of all is that now that Cecil is dead, the next lion in the heirarchy, Jericho will most likely kill all Cecil’s cubs so that he can insert his own bloodline into the females. This is standard procedure for lions.

Posted in 2015 Reports

I know I'll get flammed here, and I haven't kept up with the discussion, but if this guy had really been on a ton of big game hunts. . . wouldn't he have known how fucked up it is to bait a lion out of an animal sanctuary and then kill it?

Sounds like this lion was a tourist attraction. I don't think the guy should do 15 years in an African prison but I think they should be able to take him for all he's worth if that's the case.

I'll reserve judgement until I hear more. PETA and their kind are pretty notorious trolls so it's tough to tell the guys actual involvement in the illegal shit. Frankly had that 50,000$ gone to the local wildlife fund (as it's supposed to) the argument made is that it's sustainable and helpful for the local economy and wildlife preservation.

Just my .02. I've shot my fair game of rabbits and yotes but on some level think shooting an elephant, rhino, or lion for sport is wrong

Most people don't know their own 1/2 acre property boundaries let alone the difference between a national park and open/farm land in the middle of a desert.  Baiting is legal on most of those hunts so it would be a non issue.  And again, you pay the going rate, you expect everything to be on the up and up.  From there, you simply do what the guides say.

Dragging an animal carcass behind a jeep to lure the lion out seems to indicate that someone had a damn good idea of where the property boundary was. Again, I will withhold judgement but if he was present for that then he's culpable.

It wasn't this guys first rodeo.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It's funny how everyone is all like IDGAF about this guy killing a lion.

Let's start another "found a deerstand on my land" thread and watch everyone shit bricks about how they hate poachers.
View Quote
+1

The classic GD double standard is alive and well with most in this thread..
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Killing animals for fun is evil.  Fuck that dentist.   I hope that his teeth fall out.    

View Quote

Like the jackass that mowed the ducklings up. That kind of cruelty is twisted. Luring Cecil off the preserve and removing his tracking device just to shoot is not sporting. I wonder if he'll get fed to the lions?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
+1  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's start another "found a deerstand on my land" thread and watch everyone shit bricks about how they hate poachers.
+1  

I think the issue is that the dentist is being tried in the media without any hard evidence as to what he did or did not know, or for that matter, whether anything illegal occurred at all.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Dragging an animal carcass behind a jeep to lure the lion out seems to indicate that someone had a damn good idea of where the property boundary was.
View Quote

That will, for the most part, fall on deaf ears here.

It has so far . . .
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1. Walt Palmer sounds like a shitheel. He's apparently faced criminal charges in the US in the past for illegal hunting activities. He bought and paid for a lion head. Doubt he cared where it came from or even that he made a clean kill. Short of something bad happening to him or his family I have no empathy for him. There's ways to hunt big game ethically and humanely in Africa and he choose not to.

2. The people he hired are criminals. They guaranteed him a trophy, not the "experience" and were willing to break laws to do that.

3. The media outrage over this is bullshit sensationalism. ISIS is producing new snuff films daily and it barely gets coverage. The rhinos and elephants have been slaughtered to the point of extinction and no one cares. I guess Uncle Joe was right when he said "one death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic".
View Quote

He has been in Zimbabwe hunting before, there is a lot of with this guy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Well, the world could use a few more lions and a few less people.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dragging an animal carcass behind a jeep to lure the lion out seems to indicate that someone had a damn good idea of where the property boundary was. Again, I will withhold judgement but if he was present for that then he's culpable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THE LION
July 28, 2015

We have just discovered the identity of the killer of Cecil the lion. His details are as follows:

WALTER JAMES PALMER

Eden Prairie

MN 55347

On or about the 6th July 2013, Walter James Palmer was taken to Hwange National Park by professional hunter Theo Bronkhorst. They went hunting at night with a spotlight and they spotted Cecil. They tied a dead animal to their vehicle to lure Cecil out of the park and they scented an area about half a kilometre from the park. Mr Palmer shot Cecil with a bow and arrow but this shot didn’t kill him. They tracked him down and found him 40 hours later when they shot him with a gun. They found that he was fitted with a GPS collar because he was being studied by the Hwange Lion Research, funded by Oxford University so they tried to destroy the collar but failed because it was found.

Cecil was skinned and beheaded. We don’t know the whereabouts of the head. Walter Palmer apparently paid USD50 000 for the kill and we assume Theo Bronkhorst received this money. Cecil, who was known all over the world would have earned millions of dollars just from sightseeing. There was apparently no quota or licence for a lion to be killed in this area.

The saddest part of all is that now that Cecil is dead, the next lion in the heirarchy, Jericho will most likely kill all Cecil’s cubs so that he can insert his own bloodline into the females. This is standard procedure for lions.

Posted in 2015 Reports

I know I'll get flammed here, and I haven't kept up with the discussion, but if this guy had really been on a ton of big game hunts. . . wouldn't he have known how fucked up it is to bait a lion out of an animal sanctuary and then kill it?

Sounds like this lion was a tourist attraction. I don't think the guy should do 15 years in an African prison but I think they should be able to take him for all he's worth if that's the case.

I'll reserve judgement until I hear more. PETA and their kind are pretty notorious trolls so it's tough to tell the guys actual involvement in the illegal shit. Frankly had that 50,000$ gone to the local wildlife fund (as it's supposed to) the argument made is that it's sustainable and helpful for the local economy and wildlife preservation.

Just my .02. I've shot my fair game of rabbits and yotes but on some level think shooting an elephant, rhino, or lion for sport is wrong

I'll answer.  It's legal to bait dangerous game in most cases.  Basically, you spread their guts out, spread their blood out, then hang the carcass.  Dragging a carcass behind a vehicle is not odd or triggering behavior.

As for "property boundary", I don't know what the actually enclosure was, if there even was one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#11]
He's a fucking poacher, who got caught, AGAIN.  

He has his poaching enablers here making excuses.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bet most hunters here in the US could be labeled "poachers" if we stretched the definition just a tiny little bit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I bet most hunters here in the US could be labeled "poachers" if we stretched the definition just a tiny little bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I know a fair number of people who have taken a lion. Not my cup of tea for sure, but whatever. My only question is - why a bow? I get the sport, but that part seemed unnecessary. The last guy I know to take one used a 375 h&h.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll never get the point of killing an animal for sport with no utility to gain from it.  Want food? Hunt away, there's a bambi around every corner, but if we're showing that man has created ways to kill things effectively, why even bother convincing yourself its 'sport'?  Why not use a JDAM on it right? All the people are concerned about is kill+memory(in the form of some body part as a trophy).  

Oh and lol at the abortion fanatics who inject themselves in an unrelated thread for attention when they can just post a new thread.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I knew Cecil personally for all his life. He was a animaltarian who would only eat vegetables. He was kind and donated his entire yearly salary to other less fortunate animals many times in his short life.
He was an inspiration to many of the gazelles, dik dik's and other herbivores. The were always happy to invite him over for dinner.
Cecil will truly be missed by the many who knew him. RIP Cecil, too bad your mamma gave you such a faggoty name.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yet people who say those words NEVER volunteer to be among the "few"--the proud, the dead.  Why is that?  

It's always those "other people" who should die, or be killed.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet people who say those words NEVER volunteer to be among the "few"--the proud, the dead.  Why is that?  

It's always those "other people" who should die, or be killed.  

I am having as many abortions as I can, what more do you want from me?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'll never get the point of killing an animal for sport with no utility to gain from it.  Want food? Hunt away, there's a bambi around every corner, but if we're showing that man has created ways to kill things effectively, why even bother convincing yourself its 'sport'?  Why not use a JDAM on it right? All the people are concerned about is kill+memory(in the form of some body part as a trophy).  

Oh and lol at the abortion fanatics who inject themselves in an unrelated thread for attention when they can just post a new thread.
View Quote

I like to hunt because I find it difficult and there is something primal and basic about it that I enjoy. Hunting with a bow is even harder. Its like asking why I enjoy shooting, hard to say why but I just do.

I don't bait though...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

your an ass, gun owners who don't hunt confuse me and this is a site dedicated to firearms and hobbies centered around them then the closet commies come roaring out about how hunting is wrong they can rot.  and comments like the above its wrong to hunt but ok to murder hunters go smoke another one  I bet all of them fish what's the differencewhat a bluegill is cool to kill but not a lion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
African lions are endangered. Shooting them for ANY reason is wrong, in my book, because their numbers are so low compared to what they used to be.

Shooting this lion, who went on to suffer for over 40 hours before they found him and killed him for good, for sport, and illegally, makes my blood absolutely boil. That evil heartless fucker should suffer the same fate as Cecil.

What happened to Cecil is really goddamned sad. What a fucked up world we live in.

It is a fucked up world.  Some people are claiming a stupid lion has the same rights as people.  Walk out through a pride of lions and see if they let you live.

Killing people is good.  Only killing animals is bad.  Talk about screwed up thinking.  Can you really call that "thinking?"  

I don't support killing unless I get to kill a hunter.

your an ass, gun owners who don't hunt confuse me and this is a site dedicated to firearms and hobbies centered around them then the closet commies come roaring out about how hunting is wrong they can rot.  and comments like the above its wrong to hunt but ok to murder hunters go smoke another one  I bet all of them fish what's the differencewhat a bluegill is cool to kill but not a lion

You need one more smilie in there.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You go first hero.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, he's a convicted felon due to his poaching of a bear 10 years ago. He knew what he was doing. He should have been dotting every "i" and crossing every "t" and checking it twice and asking questions if there was even the slightest bit of doubt as to what was happening. Good luck trying to feign ignorance this time. He's a big boy with plenty of hunts under his belt. He knew. What a lying sack of shit douchebag.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It wasn't this guys first [s]rodeo[s] poach-eo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THE LION
July 28, 2015

WALTER JAMES PALMER

Eden Prairie

MN 55347

Posted in 2015 Reports

It wasn't this guys first [s]rodeo[s] poach-eo.

He has pulled some devious bear hunting crap in northern Wi
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Hillarys emails, the IRS targeting the tea party, obama and kerry bowing to iran and planned parenthood selling aborted fetus tissue.  They had to find SOMETHING to distract us from it all.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wish the same type of anger I am seeing on the internet over this old man lion was also applied to the butchers at Planned Parenthood...what a fucked up world we live in...
View Quote

This  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't bait though...
View Quote

Figured you for a master of it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
+1  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  

If only the two of you could read through your own emotional drivel.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't bait though...

Not since your mother started giving me a hand.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't bait though...

Did you dig her up
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted: I really hope Disney never makes an animatef film about coyotes.
View Quote

I'm gonna pitch that to my friend at Disney.

I'm envisioning a straight rip off of Avatar, but its a tribe of gophers who unite with a tribe of yotes to defend their home from evil frackers.

I'm gonna make a billion dollars.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#34]
The poacher dindu!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was it poached?
Can you clearly define what that word means and what actions performed by the hunters would classify this hunt as "poaching"?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#36]
This is from Lionaid.org. Some of it out of date but much of it is relevant.

1. It is completely legal to bait lions in Zimbabwe – it is standard practice. Cecil was shot with a bow and arrow from a blind. That is also legal. Cecil was shot badly and was only put out of his misery 40 hours later. That is what happens regularly in trophy hunting.

2. Cecil was shot outside a national park in a private hunting concession. That is also legal. It is not illegal to kill radiocollared lions.

3. But Cecil was shot in an area not assigned a lion quota. Supposedly the bait was set for a leopard and then Cecil came along. The professional hunter, Theo Bronkhorst told his client to shoot the lion, and then the hunt became illegal.

4. The professional hunter then allegedly attempted to destroy the radiocollar to hide the evidence. Allegedly the client was “furious” when he found that the lion was radiocollared. Allegedly, when a professional hunter engages a client in an area without lion quota, the lion will be listed as hunted in an area that does have quota. This could have been standard practice, but unfortunately Cecil was a well-known lion.

5. The professional hunter and the concession owner are now being investigated. Both were allegedly arrested and released on bail. Bronkhorst has been suspended from the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association. He will likely abscond rather than face trial unless he is confident of the possible bribes he has paid to an entirely corrupt judiciary. The concession owner is allegedly related to the Zimbabwe Minister of Transport and will therefore be immune from prosecution.

6. There seems now to be a desire to find the “client” who shot Cecil. Some say he is Spanish, some say he is American. Whatever his nationality, this man cannot really be prosecuted. A client does what his professional hunter tells him. A client usually has no idea about the laws and regulations of the country he is hunting in – he just buys a safari and then places himself in the hands of his professional hunter guide. Finding the client could be interesting to let him tell his side of the story, but in terms of legal prosecution this person is hardly important.

7. The hunt is also on to find what remains of Cecil. That is strange, as a hunting trophy should be immediately identifiable?

8. There are calls to prevent the import of Cecil’s trophy into the EU. That will be difficult unless the name of the client gets known. Also, it is almost impossible to distinguish a single lion trophy from all the others yearly imported into the EU from Zimbabwe.

http://www.lionaid.org/news
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Was it poached?
Can you clearly define what that word means and what actions performed by the hunters would classify this hunt as "poaching"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it poached?

Poaching has traditionally been defined as the illegal hunting, killing, or capturing of wild animals.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Stop liking what I don't like!  

Let's crucify the dentist based on accusations and horseshit.  

GD is the best example of why the Founders of this country abhorred a democracy and the mob mentality.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Poaching has traditionally been defined as the illegal hunting, killing, or capturing of wild animals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was it poached?

So, what part of their hunt was illegal?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

1. It is completely legal to bait lions in Zimbabwe – it is standard practice. Cecil was shot with a bow and arrow from a blind. That is also legal. Cecil was shot badly and was only put out of his misery 40 hours later. That is what happens regularly in trophy hunting.

2. Cecil was shot outside a national park in a private hunting concession. That is also legal. It is not illegal to kill radiocollared lions.

3. But Cecil was shot in an area not assigned a lion quota. Supposedly the bait was set for a leopard and then Cecil came along. The professional hunter, Theo Bronkhorst told his client to shoot the lion, and then the hunt became illegal.

4. The professional hunter then allegedly attempted to destroy the radiocollar to hide the evidence. Allegedly the client was “furious” when he found that the lion was radiocollared. Allegedly, when a professional hunter engages a client in an area without lion quota, the lion will be listed as hunted in an area that does have quota. This could have been standard practice, but unfortunately Cecil was a well-known lion.

5. The professional hunter and the concession owner are now being investigated. Both were allegedly arrested and released on bail. Bronkhorst has been suspended from the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association. He will likely abscond rather than face trial unless he is confident of the possible bribes he has paid to an entirely corrupt judiciary. The concession owner is allegedly related to the Zimbabwe Minister of Transport and will therefore be immune from prosecution.

6. There seems now to be a desire to find the “client” who shot Cecil. Some say he is Spanish, some say he is American. Whatever his nationality, this man cannot really be prosecuted. A client does what his professional hunter tells him. A client usually has no idea about the laws and regulations of the country he is hunting in – he just buys a safari and then places himself in the hands of his professional hunter guide. Finding the client could be interesting to let him tell his side of the story, but in terms of legal prosecution this person is hardly important.

7. The hunt is also on to find what remains of Cecil. That is strange, as a hunting trophy should be immediately identifiable?

8. There are calls to prevent the import of Cecil’s trophy into the EU. That will be difficult unless the name of the client gets known. Also, it is almost impossible to distinguish a single lion trophy from all the others yearly imported into the EU from Zimbabwe.

View Quote

that clears up a lot of things
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wish the same type of anger I am seeing on the internet over this old man lion was also applied to the butchers at Planned Parenthood...what a fucked up world we live in...

This  

we already have a thread for that. . . specifically relating the two.

Go shit-post in there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it legal to go into a nature preserve and bait an animal out?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#43]

While I don't believe in purging history, or censorship, I can think of lots of reasons that SOB should be purged from it, but killing things isn't one of them.  

Being a truly Progressive President, being elected to office by Progressives, and infecting America with the the idea of elitism and "government is the answer" is, in my opinion, a MUCH better reason to purge that asshole form history.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really.

Are you a PETA-phile?
Your above comment sure seems like it.
Your picture and comment in it says a lot about you.

Do you live at the DU?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

We Cry Over the Death of Cecil the Lion, But Shrug Off Planned Parenthood?

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/07/29/we_cry_over_the_death_of_cecil_the_lion_but_shrug_off_planned_parenthood

View Quote

why do people keep making this comparison?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#47]
They clearly broke the law while partaking in the very despicable practice of trophy hunting, which at its core is nothing but malicious and destructive behavior. People like this should be burned from the earth for their wanton disregard for habitat, and lack of general decency as human beings.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/07/29/we_cry_over_the_death_of_cecil_the_lion_but_shrug_off_planned_parenthood

That's a good question.  Did we all of a sudden lose our capability to bitch about more than one thing at a time?  GD would come to a screeching halt if this were the case.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was not entirely clear whether baiting is allowed by Zimbabwe law. Fundira said the practice was both unethical and illegal. The conservation group Lion Aid says it is unethical but not expressly forbidden.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no friggin idea. Its like going into the planned parenthood thread and posting "OMG ISIS, WHY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THIS BS". Depraved behavior from human beings should be punished regardless.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top