Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Article I saw said the guide baited / lured the lion off a national park(-type area).  After they wounded it, they killed it and removed the collar.

Not only is killing collared animals there a big no-no, they deliberately lured a known resident lion out of a protected area to kill it.  That alone is basically doing the whole hand-in-the-face "I'M NOT TOUCHING YOU, HAHA!" thing to poaching laws.

They're fucked and rightfully so.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm partial to it flash frozen, thawed, sliced, placed on top of a ball of rice and smeared with wassabe.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Reminds me of the story where the kid in San Diego took a local attraction, some "famous" octopus because he could. Legal, but a pretty shitty thing to do.

Octopus grilled over a nice wood fire is delicious.

Everybody can agree on that.

I'm partial to it flash frozen, thawed, sliced, placed on top of a ball of rice and smeared with wassabe.

That's good, too.  

I ate a big wood-grilled octopus leg, just last night.  Then a whole branzino.   Greek wine; red with the octopus, and white with the fish.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah. This was unsportsmanlike, but not "horrendous".

On a scale of bad: I would say that the guy who mowed over the family of ducks was worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only on GD do you get labeled a "communist PETA fag" for thinking this kind of thing is shitty

Black and white world, that's ARFcom.

BTW, commie.

Yeah. This was unsportsmanlike, but not "horrendous".

On a scale of bad: I would say that the guy who mowed over the family of ducks was worse.
The ducks made it across    http://abcnews.go.com/US/video-captures-ducks-playing-real-life-game-frogger/story?id=32711933
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The guy has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in hunting fees to support conservation and he'll be vilified by "conservationists" all over the US who have never contributed a dime.

Huzzah
View Quote
Well except for the bear he was previously convicted of poaching, and then this lion, and then all the poaching he's probably done but never got got, but yeah, I don't get why this guy doesn't get the Sportsman of the Year Humanitarian award.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Funny thing about exotic animal hunts....they actually help keep the animals alive..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Killing exotic animals for the fun of it is pretty retarded.  "Oh wow look at that amazing majestic creature!  I can't wait to kill it"  I mean who the hell actually thinks like that?  I sure wouldn't want to associate with them.

I mean killing game animals for food is fine and killing pests is also fine, but something about killing rare exotic beasts sport is

Funny thing about exotic animal hunts....they actually help keep the animals alive..
This one hunt didn't.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That settles it, Dentists are psychopaths worse than cops and nurses.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wish the same type of anger I am seeing on the internet over this old man lion was also applied to the butchers at Planned Parenthood...what a fucked up world we live in...
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Disgusting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In to see the Disney wackos lose their minds.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Considering he's more or less admitted to shooting the lion and blaming it on the guides, I'm going to say that the preserve didn't stage this one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the Spaniard is off the hook now, they're pretty sure it was the American.

Or in typical African fashion they are looking for the person with the deepest pockets.  Corruption is rampant.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game preserve staged the whole thing for attention and donations.  

Considering he's more or less admitted to shooting the lion and blaming it on the guides, I'm going to say that the preserve didn't stage this one.

Did the guides set it up?  Lots of possible angles to this.  Relation of guides to people in the preserve?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Illegal kill.  He's a poacher.   Deserves whatever backlash comes his way.  

Though there's some people who are trying to compare abortion this somehow, for the record that's just as immoral IMHO.    
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

population management.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't see the point in hunting if you aren't going to eat the animal...  

population management.

Meh, let him slam his car into a deer at 75mph
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, cause nothing in Africa is corrupt and the funds go exactly where they tell us they do.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Killing exotic animals for the fun of it is pretty retarded.  "Oh wow look at that amazing majestic creature!  I can't wait to kill it"  I mean who the hell actually thinks like that?  I sure wouldn't want to associate with them.

I mean killing game animals for food is fine and killing pests is also fine, but something about killing rare exotic beasts sport is

Yeah, cause nothing in Africa is corrupt and the funds go exactly where they tell us they do.    

Doesn't really matter where the money goes.  The hunting creates value for the animal.  Without hunting, many of the animals would be "worthless" to the locals and they would kill them off.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a hunter but I would never kill a Lion or anything I would not eat.  But I don't begrudge anyone who would kill a lion if done legally and ethically.

This feels like neither and if the hunter knew about the baiting and luring, screw him.  Having said that it is easy to fall victim to a bad guide, especially when that kind of money is on the line.

Kind of reminds me of that dick licker Troy gentry who shot that bear in a cage.  The bear was basically tame.  Screw him too I'll never listen to his crap music any longer.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Did you not read the part about headless skinless carcass found?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The bulk of the funds went for animal reserve funding, the meat goes to starving villagers.
GD falling for PETA propaganda

Did you not read the part about headless skinless carcass found?

What woofum describes is how legal big game hunting goes (ideally) this appears to be an illegal hunt though the hunter may not have known it.  Only time will sort this out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Did the guides set it up?  Lots of possible angles to this.  Relation of guides to people in the preserve?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the Spaniard is off the hook now, they're pretty sure it was the American.

Or in typical African fashion they are looking for the person with the deepest pockets.  Corruption is rampant.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game preserve staged the whole thing for attention and donations.  

No, you're right.  There's no way the good dentist, who is ostensibly an experienced safari hunter, thought something might be awry when he saw the guides dragging a carcass behind the vehicle to lure the lion out of the game preserve.  People don't pay $55k to go on a lion hunt in Africa to come home empty handed.,  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#18]
That's horrible, I can't believe something legally unethical could happen in a place like Africa...

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's not "hunting", and the worse PR it gets the better.
If you shoot it you should have to eat it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that is some great PR for hunters.

LOL no.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Agreed and thank you for posting a sane reply in this thread.  Most are either "Oh my god he's a murderer!!!" or "You're a PETAbot"

If this guy violated the law punish him to the fullest extent of the law.

If you don't like Trophy hunting, don't do it.  Whether you want to admit it or not it does contribute to the survival of some species when mananged well and done legally.

For the really anti's all hunting is murder crowd, you really don't want to know about me and hunting coyotes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree the details of this whole thing sound a bit messed up but who knows .

What little I hunt and fish is for the table but

1) I have no problem with trophy hunting in general if rules and regulations are followed.

2) much of the wildlife preservation in this country is bankrolled directly through fees and taxes on sportsmen

3) Generally all preservation in Africa and a great deal of  general tourism dollars are generated by foreign sportsmen

Agreed and thank you for posting a sane reply in this thread.  Most are either "Oh my god he's a murderer!!!" or "You're a PETAbot"

If you don't like Trophy hunting, don't do it.  Whether you want to admit it or not it does contribute to the survival of some species when mananged well and done legally.

For the really anti's all hunting is murder crowd, you really don't want to know about me and hunting coyotes.
Do it,  just like woodchucks and tree rats.    They are assholes
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That settles it, Dentists are psychopaths worse than cops and nurses.
View Quote

Phew. At least still held in higher esteem than lawyers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wish the same type of anger I am seeing on the internet over this old man lion was also applied to the butchers at Planned Parenthood...what a fucked up world we live in...
View Quote

As soon as the DRN set a season and limits I'm GTG.

What round for a ghoul?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#23]
yubitsume is indicated.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree the details of this whole thing sound a bit messed up but who knows .

What little I hunt and fish is for the table but

1) I have no problem with trophy hunting in general if rules and regulations are followed.

2) much of the wildlife preservation in this country is bankrolled directly through fees and taxes on sportsmen

3) Generally all preservation in Africa and a great deal of  general tourism dollars are generated by foreign sportsmen

Yes they are, wife used to go with me but one time I had a bitch and her spring litter come in on my call. Shot the mom and all her pups just sit down. When they heard the report they all turned and looked my direction and sat there as I shot each one.  Wife doesn't go coyote hunting with me any more.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Article I saw said the guide baited / lured the lion off a national park(-type area).  After they wounded it, they killed it and removed the collar.

Not only is killing collared animals there a big no-no, they deliberately lured a known resident lion out of a protected area to kill it.  That alone is basically doing the whole hand-in-the-face "I'M NOT TOUCHING YOU, HAHA!" thing to poaching laws.

They're fucked and rightfully so.
View Quote

Agreed on all that.

But you see, on ARFCOM, the rule of law is only important when it comes to illegal immigration or shop lifting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"Not as evil as making stupid statements."

I'd just like to say that your reply was filled with insight.  Thank you for that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#27]
i hope he feels manly now that he has his little dick trophy

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Glad he's getting shit. Would love to hear he gets to spend time in an Zimbabwean jail
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We've been assured here that big game hunts in Africa are the most noble pursuit and conducted with the utmost of sportsmanship
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a pretty liberal stance on this, unfortunately. You lure a famous, old, protected animal off of its natural habitat, and kill it for a trophy.

The dentist isn't the one responsible unless he was in on the plot.

The cocksuckers that were in on the plot, need fucked.

The story said they dragged an animal carcass behind their vehicle to lure Cecil off the preserve, I'm pretty sure this wasn't the safari guide's first rodeo.  Nor was the dentist some kind of greenhorn that didn't know how hunts in Africa took place.

We've been assured here that big game hunts in Africa are the most noble pursuit and conducted with the utmost of sportsmanship

Not much in Africa is noble. . . . and when a Western goes to Africa specifically to spend $50,000 it probably goes double.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd rather spend 55k to convince Andrea Tantaros to bounce on my cock.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'd rather spend 55k to convince Andrea Tantaros to bounce on my cock.
View Quote

Am I in before the guy who wants to sniff your cock afterward?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Dude....That's pretty FFFF'd up right there....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like the international community is going to love him tenderly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#34]
No extradition treaty with that country...so good luck getting him back.

Also he had a PH that told him it was a legal animal.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Lion hunting is legal in Zimbabwe.  They are not protected from what I have read.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yes they are, wife used to go with me but one time I had a bitch and her spring litter come in on my call. Shot the mom and all her pups just sit down. When they heard the report they all turned and looked my direction and sat there as I shot each one.  Wife doesn't go coyote hunting with me any more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip,,,,,,,  ng is murder crowd, you really don't want to know about me and hunting coyotes.

Better than letting them starve

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sounds like the international community is going to love him tenderly.
View Quote

The international community can't do shit...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No, you're right.  There's no way the good dentist, who is ostensibly an experienced safari hunter, thought something might be awry when he saw the guides dragging a carcass behind the vehicle to lure the lion out of the game preserve.  People don't pay $55k to go on a lion hunt in Africa to come home empty handed.,  
View Quote

You only pay the trophy fee (55k in this case) if you take the animal. He still would have paid thousands of dollars in airfare, lounging and other stuff but not the trophy fee if he didn't take the lion.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Minnesotans are a different breed. I lived there for more than a few years, Minnesotans are the "play by the rules" people, just like in the movie Fargo. He's
going to find out, soon, that Minnesotans, probably more than anyone else, hate poachers. Hope he knows a good dentist, because when he comes back to the States, corn on the cob is out of the question.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#40]

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc141/natebedair/E9A9782E-50CE-4088-8C2B-52B6A0E9A713_zpssz8vvsui.png

Brilliant!!  Where do you guys come up with these outstanding responses?

It takes a lot to hurt my feelings bro.   I really don't GAF about you or your stupid cartoons.  

Fact is, killing animals for fun is not ethical in my book.  Especially an endangered species.  That lion was a majestic beast wantonly killed by some asshole.  

Respect life brother.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Illegal kill.  He's a poacher.   Deserves whatever backlash comes his way.  

Though there's some people who are trying to compare abortion this somehow, for the record that's just as immoral IMHO.    

View Quote

Depends if he knew what the guides were up to.

It isn't his responsibility to manage the guides, that is the government's responsibility.  

Based on his previous poaching incident, he should be investigated to make sure he wasn't party to what the guides did.   If it is found out he was involved or had knowledge of how the animal was procured, he should get the same punishment as the poaching guides.

Incidents like this don't help the view modern society has of hunters, especially trophy hunters.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Is Cecil a common name in Zimbabwe?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#43]
This guy has a prior history of questionable hunting practices. Ten years ago he shot a bear in Wisconsin and lied to the feds about the circumstances. He pled guilty to giving a false statement to a federal agent (I believe that is a felony). Probably explains why he hunts with a bow now.

http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/18015589.html
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Fact is, killing animals for fun is not ethical in my book.  Especially an endangered species.  That lion was a majestic beast wantonly killed by some asshole.  

Respect life brother.
View Quote

What about if you kill them for other reasons, but have fun doing so?

I enjoy hunting.   I tend to hunt food animals and nuisance animals (mainly deer and hogs where I am at).   I enjoy it.   Its purely mental, but I think meat I've hunted tastes better than meat from other sources.  

If you're ok with the above, what about hunting for sport, but it also serves another purpose?   That is what we're talking about here (not in this specific case, but sport hunting in general).  Without sport hunting,  many of the big game animals would be hunted to extinction because they would be in the nuisance animal category.    

This could be a case where the dentist followed all the proper steps with permits, but was fooled by some unethical guides.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Hopefully the dentist and guides enjoy a stay in African "pound-me-in-the-ass" prison.  No sympathy at all for that guy on my part, I'd like to see his practice fall into bankruptcy and see him making his living bumming change on the side of an off ramp.

Edited to add - one of the attendings at a hospital I work at does a number of exotic game hunts in Africa each year.  There is no way the dentist didn't know what's going on.  It's an intensive process and you don't pair up with a guide and follow him halfway across the world on a whim.  The dentist knew exactly what the fuck he was doing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#46]
I checked out a few pictures of Cecil.  The collar he wore left a pretty distinct deformation on his mane, something that should have been obvious through a scope. I suppose it's possible he didn't notice, but for $55k, I'd kind of expect him to know.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that is some great PR for hunters.

You know as well as I do that there are people that will use this to paint all hunters.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Cecil had a good life. He was a father, protector and a king.

As he aged he grew lazy, fat, and tired. Becoming a burden to his family.

But Cecil needed to pass the torch to a younger Prince. A much more Verile Kitty.

Cecil had lived a good life.

Agenda 21

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I've been saying all day. I bet half of the people who are outraged over this have no problem with chopping up and sucking out a human fetus.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
That's what I've been saying all day. I bet half of the people who are outraged over this have no problem with chopping up and sucking out a human fetus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Planned Parenthood is approved by Agenda 21.

The population must be reduced down to 5 % of current world population.

Its for the environment.

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top