Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/28/2015 2:24:44 PM EDT
Can't get my brain around that.  By then I'll be 62 and been in the workforce nearly 50 years.  My first 7 day a week 3:30 a.m. paper route started in '68 when I was 12. Did that until the $1.75 and hour grocery sacker job 35 months later.  Been one job after another with the occasional break for school and my mom's illness.  Even when I was in college, I had jobs on the side or on campus.  

My wife will turn 59 1/2 six weeks after I turn 62.  She's been an RN with HCA for 35 years and the same hospital for 30 years.  She's been a very good money manager and she tells me that it will be time for us to live life.

I know some of you young guys are going to get your pants in a knot over this since I will be so very young.  But learn from this.  Because we both started young and said no to ourselves early on we get to say yes to ourselves later.  Her two kids will be on their own as will my two.

This all depends on good health and our jobs continuing for a couple more years.  

We could lose anything and everything at a moments notice.

But retirement is a goal that now appears within reach.

Delivering 110 newspapers in the dark at age 12 doesn't really seem that long ago.  I had to collect for the papers each month and then pay the newspaper for what I had "bought from them."  I had my own checking account at 12.

You can't imagine how quickly 50 years can go by.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations to both of you!  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I will have my 25 years in this November, and always planned to leave then.  I always had a second job, and used a 457(b) as my savings account.
Now that I'm seeing some serious money and am in good health, I'm second guessing leaving anytime soon.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would you want to retire at 62? I couldn't imagine retiring that early. I'd get so bored.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Double Congratulations.

I did a google image search for "wifey".
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations, wish I was.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you want to retire at 62? I couldn't imagine retiring that early. I'd get so bored.
View Quote

I'm retiring at 40 in ~18 months.  I'll let you know how that goes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats.

Now back to work.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Good for you. How did you let it sneak up on you?

I will be done in 6.5 years at most. And counting the days. Haha (literally counting the days)

I'm 43 now so I'm out at 50 and can't freaking wait. Work gets in the way of all my hobbies.

And he is right. You younger guys have no idea how quick it happens. I still remember working at a chicken fry place and making $2.75 an hour in high school and stinking like spoiled fowl.
Plan now or plan to work forever.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Good on you.  I've got right at 7 years before I hit 60 and we're on target to be able to retire at that time.  Best of luck to you and your wife.  Have safe and happy travels.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Congrats.    

Sounds like we are about the same age.  No way I could retire in 2 years.  I still have 2 of my 3 kids on the payroll in some fashion or another.

Plus My wife only worked the first 5 or so years of our marriage until recently.  Now she works a whopping 2 days a week and her expenses run 4 times what she brings in.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's because you don't know how to live life.
There are a million things to do in this life other than go work your ass off for someone else 8-10 hours a day.
I am retiring at 65 in less than 2.5 years and I won't miss working one damn bit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Congratulations to both of you!  
View Quote

I learned early. A few years back I took a $10k/yr promotion to run my own crew and go from 5-6 days a week at worked to 3 days. Best thing I ever did. At 39, I left a lot of stress and bullshit behind to spend more time with my family and make more $$. Life is too short to spend it all at work for someone else. Now working on my home/property, that's worth doing and stress free
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There are a million things to do in this life other than go work your ass off for someone else 8-10 hours a day.
I am retiring at 65 in less than 2.5 years and I won't miss working one damn bit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work for myself, and I love what I do. I like going camping, hunting, fishing, hell I just go back from duck hunting in Argentina. But after being gone for a week I was ready to get back to work.

Work isn't something I have to do, it's something I get to do.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Starting to make an exit plan myself here. I just turned 41 and should to be able to retire in the next 15 years or so.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I work for myself, and I love what I do. I like going camping, hunting, fishing, hell I just go back from duck hunting in Argentina. But after being gone for a week I was ready to get back to work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fine.
I think you are the exception rather than the rule.
Get back with us after you have been working about 45-50 years.
And if you have been working that long and still want to keep at it then again you are the exception.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really? Here is just a basic list that I can rattle off.

1. Camp from the east coast to the west coast stopping and gold mining and metal detecting along the way for a summer.
2. Fall trapping/ hunting season
3. Take boat out fishing
4. Canoe the Savannah River... All of it.
5. Travel and do festivals with my butcher block logs and hand carved spoons.
6. Attend the trappers College
7. Spend a summer in the Caribbean.
8. Build a wooden boat
9. Spend a week each season in the back country
10. Finish: my cabin, garden, chicken coop, pasture, food plots, barn, wood shop, second guest cabin.. Etc.

This should get me through the first few years....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats to you both!

I have a slightly different philosophy, though.  I'm not willing to just grind until I'm ready to retire before enjoying life.  While I also plan for retirement, my wife and I choose to say "yes" now while we are young.  You never know what will happen in life, and if, God forbid, one of us dies before retirement age comes I will want the surviving one to have great memories of time spent living life together instead of simply working hard for the future.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Double Congratulations.

I did a google image search for "wifey".
View Quote
Knockers

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I guess I just have different goals. I don't want to retire comfortably if I'm still capable of working. My father built a very successful business from the ground up that I'm currently a partner in/managing. After he fully retires it'll all be mine and I won't be satisfied until I've at least doubled the scale and profitability of it. Whenever I see people protesting the excess of wealth in America and they have the Koch brothers names painted on signs, I've always felt the desire to have my name next to theirs.

I won't derail this thread any more.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats. Dec 1 2035 walking out the door with a lot of fuck y'all motherfuckers
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats to you. I could retire in 2 years but I'm too young and if I wait till I'm 50 I'd walk away with more so that's Probaly what I'm gonna do
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Congratulations! My first job was also at 12. Cleaned catering trucks for 2.50 a truck plus all the stale donuts I can eat. I retired four years ago at 55 and failed. I have a hard time saying no to consulting jobs.. Don't let it happen to you..
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Congrats. Dec 1 2035 walking out the door with a lot of fuck y'all motherfuckers
View Quote

I wanted to run down the hall wearing a tactical kilt and carrying a broadsword screaming freedom! Didn't do it :(
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Do you want to retire?

If you don't have something planned to do on a daily basis I think it shortens your life span.

My Dad just had a heart attack at 68, doc said if it wasn't for his active lifestyle, he'd be dead. They put in two stents, told him he had the heart of a 20 year old and told him to keep working and he'd live to be 100.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I am scheduled to work until I am 75 according to my wife.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Words of wisdom, OP.  Good for you and your bride.

Lord willing, I will be doing the same in about 2 years....at the ripe old age of 52!  My wife and I have tried to live life frugally and prepare for the future, while providing a proper life for our children.  I think we have succeeded.

You are right though, it can all change in the blink of an eye, which is why I say you are wise.  Prepare the worst, pray for the best, expect something in between.

Best of luck to you and yours.  I'll be right behind you!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm jelious, congrats. For the life of me can't understand why people want to keep working past when they can comfortably retire. I'm out soon as I feel I reach that point, hopefully by 50-55.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously, good for you.  'Find something you love to do and you'll never work a day in your life.'

Many of the rest of us work to pay our bills.  Overall, I have a pretty good job but I can think of lots of better things to do than work.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Congrats...

Im in the "retire first chance you get' camp.

Im hoping to "retire" in the next couple months if things go well. Im in my 40s. Its all about how you planned and saved in your early years.

Those young-uns reading this, invest early  and max out 401ks, IRA contributions, sacrific early so you can play later. I know too many ppl that will die working and not cuz they want to, but cuz they have to.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Congrats! I'm 45 and I prob have another 25 years till retirement.

When did you start maxing your 401K and how long have you been maxing it?
What other investments do you have and what other incomes will you have when you retire?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Congrats! I'm 45 and I prob have another 25 years till retirement.

When did you start maxing your 401K and how long have you been maxing it?
What other investments do you have and what other incomes will you have when you retire?
View Quote

I wished I could max my 401.
That's not as easy as it sounds unless you make an awful lot or live very,very frugally.
I am putting 17% away and the company puts in 6%.
I might be able to put another 2% in but even that would be pushing it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

At 62, I'll have been retired 20 years.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.

I have a friend that retired at 61 at the first of this year.
I asked him last week how things were going in retirement.
His reply was everyday is a Saturday.
Sounds wonderful.
Just think.
No job obligations or dead lines.
No more fucking employee reviews.
No more office politics.
Etc.,etc.,etc....
If you want to go shoot on Thursday morning fine.
If you want to go camping or fishing for three days that's fine too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Congratz.....I has a dream of having a viking funeral for my alarm clock for years now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I am 34.  I would say I average about $1200 gross take home a day.  I imagine that will go up but I could be wrong.  Once my student loads are payed off in full I will work 3 days a week.  When I get older and ready to work less I could do 1-2 days.  I am not sure I will retire unless my health goes down hill.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am 34.  I would say I average about $1200 gross take home a day.  I imagine that will go up but I could be wrong.  Once my student loads are payed off in full I will work 3 days a week.  When I get older and ready to work less I could do 1-2 days.  I am not sure I will retire unless my health goes down hill.
View Quote

What do you do for a living and are they hiring?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#39]
now a brag thread
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I took an early retirement at 56 and have been retired for 10 years.  It has been the best 10 years of my life.

Tonto, take it!  You won't be sorry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took an early retirement at 56 and have been retired for 10 years.  It has been the best 10 years of my life.

Tonto, take it!  You won't be sorry.

People ask me what I do with my time, now that I'm retired. I tell them,

I do the same stuff you do with your time off, only I do it 40 hours a week more than you do.

I was crushed when I was forced to retire; thought it was the worst thing that ever happened to me.

Five years on... yeah, it's pretty cool, not having to go to work every day.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Congrats, and thanks for the inspiration to this young pup of 45...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Depends on your definition of retiring.

When I retire I want to run some sort of hobby shop or something I enjoy doing, just enough revenue to get into trouble with and keep bills paid.

Other peoples version of retirement is to sit on a lawn chair and stare at the sky.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I retired at 52 and don't ever remember waking up and wishing I could go back to work.
I have no trouble keeping myself amused.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

When I retire I want to run some sort of hobby shop or something I enjoy doing, just enough revenue to get into trouble with and keep bills paid.

Other peoples version of retirement is to sit on a lawn chair and stare at the sky.
View Quote

Exactly.  My vision of retirement is not to sit in a lounger all day.  But it dang sure isn't getting up at 0430 every day to have retards tell me how to waste my time!  Retirement to me means "I do what I want, when I want, with no input from others."  That will not entail sitting in a hammock all day.  Others may find that suits them just fine.  OK by me!  Make yourself happy, it's YOUR retirement.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Congratulations OP.

I set the countdown timer on my cell phone for my 60th birthday. I still have over 11,000 days to go.

I plan to semi-retire when I'm 60 at the latest, but I'm hoping for 50-55 if things go well. I don't plan on doing "nothing" at least for the first decade. I just want to have enough put away that it will grow substantially on its own, have no debt to speak of, and work part time in order to cover basic expenses and be able to take a vacation with my wife several times each year.

We're working towards getting rid of some of our smaller debt so that we only have the mortgage and then we will be putting away around 20% of our gross income if things go according to plan.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#47]
lots of words... no pics....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#48]
that's awesome. I hope I get to retire someday, too!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Man, whatever you do, please keep yourself busy.  Ive seen too many people work all their life and then die a few years after retiring.  The mind and body needs to be active and a person needs a purpose.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I get exactly what you are saying.
My initial plan is that the first 365 days after officially separating from the daily work grind is to do just whatever I want and in any order of the way I want.
If I want to stay up until 4:00 a.m. on Arfcom on Tuesday night I will.
If I want to get up at 3:00 a.m. on Monday to head to Galveston to catch some fish I will.
Maybe after that first year I might possibly entertain working at something fun three days a week.
You know just to make some pocket change and interact with others.
But it will be strictly on my terms and no pressure at all.
If some boss wants to be an asshat I will just walk at that point.
Understand I have worked since I was 15 and have worked full time since I was 19.
That's a lot of years.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top