Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would ride this...

https://youtu.be/Px8ChhG0tg8
View Quote

That's beautiful, but was close to 40K to have done.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Replace wiring, rip out the points and replace with electronic ignition, and cross your fingers. I have a BSA that is older than me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the new 2015 Norton Commando 961.

I recently saw one in person and it was absolutely gorgeous. $23K but damn.

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/bikes/commando-961-cafe-racer.html
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
ahh, the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar.

I had some times in that place.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Check out the new 2015 Norton Commando 961.

I recently saw one in person and it was absolutely gorgeous. $23K but damn.

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/bikes/commando-961-cafe-racer.html
View Quote

Was looking at those last week. I'm not a huge fan of those. Much prefer the older ones.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Ahhh.. Lucas Electric, The Prince Of Darkness.

MGB-GT
Triumph TR-7
Land Rover
Jensen Healy

All cars in my extended family that had the Lucas curse.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks for increasing the value of mine....

Period Choppers are cool....but bobbers suck....period....without exception, everyone I have seen who ever owned a "bobber" has been a wannabee.... who had no capability, or ability to maintain a classic British bike....after they posted a few pics on facebook, they got all fucked up when it didn't start first-kick......and decied to buy a 750 Honda or 650 Yamaha....then cut the value in half by cuttin the fenders and/or painting it flat black.....

.you should head  over to the C&R forum and talk about cutting up  a bringback K98.......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We sawed up a 70 commando to make a chopper, nice lookin bike, good enough that it had a feature article in Street Choppers magazine

Period Choppers are cool....but bobbers suck....period....without exception, everyone I have seen who ever owned a "bobber" has been a wannabee.... who had no capability, or ability to maintain a classic British bike....after they posted a few pics on facebook, they got all fucked up when it didn't start first-kick......and decied to buy a 750 Honda or 650 Yamaha....then cut the value in half by cuttin the fenders and/or painting it flat black.....

.you should head  over to the C&R forum and talk about cutting up  a bringback K98.......

Your welcome, the same year we built the Norton we also did 3 triumphs, one knuckle head, and 2 panheads, and cut up a pristine 55 Chevy with 30000 miles on it to make  a gasser , maybe I will cut up my K98.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Your welcome, the same year we built the Norton we also did 3 triumphs, one knuckle head, and 2 panheads, and cut up a pristine 55 Chevy with 30000 miles on it to make  a gasser , maybe I will cut up my K98.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We sawed up a 70 commando to make a chopper, nice lookin bike, good enough that it had a feature article in Street Choppers magazine

I support custom builders in everyway. I suspect the bikes you cut up were not good candidates for resto anyway. However it does bring a tear to my eye to think of a good original bike being cut up.

I also think you need to post some pics of those bikes
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I do not own one but I have lusted after a Norton Commando since Terminator.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP: How good are you at swinging a wrench and diagnosing problems, on the side of the road, with the tools you have on you, in the dark?

That's what owning an old Norton any type of British motorized vehicle is like.
View Quote

Fixed it.

I had an MG.  Need I say more?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ahhh.. Lucas Electric, The Prince Of Darkness.

MGB-GT

Triumph TR-7
Land Rover
Jensen Healy

All cars in my extended family that had the Lucas curse.
View Quote

Am I an idiot for wanting one of those really bad right now?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#12]
here is the only picture of the bikes I could find, the Norton is I the middle with a triumph a BSA. in the 70s these bikes were cheap and Harleys were hard to get because the police were keeping there bike longer and there were not as many at the surplus auctions. just like the guys that cut up the 30s coupes to make stock cars, no one cared to preserve them for history, they were just old jalopies.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:33:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
here is the only picture of the bikes I could find, the Norton is I the middle with a triumph a BSA. in the 70s these bikes were cheap and Harleys were hard to get because the police were keeping there bike longer and there were not as many at the surplus auctions. just like the guys that cut up the 30s coupes to make stock cars, no one cared to preserve them for history, they were just old jalopies.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc358/6768grunt/Untitled-1_edited-1_zpszia37t56.jpg
View Quote

Man, the one on the right screams period chopper!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#14]
A retired former Green Beret Col. told me he rode a snorten Norton while on base and was heading for an important meeting with top brass when he hit some gravel and wiped out.   He showed up in his dress uniform with road rash and blown out elbows
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc358/6768grunt/Untitled-1_edited-1_zpszia37t56.jpg

It makes my L5 scream just looking at it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#16]

My God, that is beautiful. Got a link to more pictures or a build thread?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry if I came off as a bit harsh.......I love properly done vintage choppers......but lately have seen soooooooo many nice bikes ruined by the "bobber" craze that it makes me ill......

Last year I sold my '68 BSA A65 to a guy in Daytona Beach.......was an all original, 18K mile bike.........3 months later it was for sale with a welded on hardtail, a jockey shifter, and red painted rims with whitewalls.....fenders gone, peanut tank, painted flat black....it was his....he could do as he wished, but it almost made me cry....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice looking bike, but that's the equivalent of a restored Model-A Ford.   Fun to polish on the weekends in the garage and ride once or twice a year to the cowboy bar, but if you want to really ride, you want a motorcycle that'll start everyday, handles good, and is relatively low maintenance, like a fuel injected Japanese bike or a Harley.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
parked outside the cowboy bar. I've always liked that style. Almost cafe racer ish. I want a cafe racer but I'm a 6'5" guy so most of those style bikes are out the question.

<a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/user/bigg089/media/E8C3B073-7BFB-486B-95F6-2C2C2DB97608_zpsjjllf1pc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s297/bigg089/E8C3B073-7BFB-486B-95F6-2C2C2DB97608_zpsjjllf1pc.jpg</a>

Anyone own one of these? Are they reliable? Easy to get parts?
View Quote

THE COWBOY BAR???  You Too good for the Green Door ?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get a modern Triumph. Motors were designed and engineered by Kawasaki. In other words, they are reliable and bulletproof.
View Quote

Fail.
The early in-line 4 engines were based on the Kawasaki 900 Ninja family of engines (camshaft drive on the end of the engine, alternator and starter behind the cylinder head).
After the fire that destroyed the factory in 2002 all of the engines have been exclusively Triumph designs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#21]
The one in your picture, OP, is the 850 MKIII.  Probably a '75 or '76, last year they made them.  It has the electric start that is about as reliable as a Lucas electric starter.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Ah, the fabulous "rides-like-it-has-a-hinge-in-the-middle" Flexolastic frame!  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
http://thingd-media-ec1.thefancy.com/default/286251099_a07cd53230e4.jpg

My God, that is beautiful. Got a link to more pictures or a build thread?
View Quote

Here's a cafe racer forum where you'll find lots of build info and pictures:

Do the ton

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top