Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/28/2015 1:40:42 PM EDT
I have a friend, Adam. He is wealthy and owns a beer and steer in the ghetto.

One day. our conversation (we usually align politically) steers to guns. He shows me his CCW (Glock 23) and I told him that every time I've been in his establishment, I've been carrying a Glock 9mm.

The next words out of his mouth... "I hope Hillary gets elected,"

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Guns are ok for him and his friends, but not for everyone else.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

One day. our conversation (we usually align politically) steers to guns. He shows me his CCW (Glock 23) and I told him that every time I've been in his establishment, I've been carrying a Glock 9mm.

View Quote

owns a beer and steer...

hell, My alcohol purchases will increase...America is toast..
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guns are ok for him and his friends, but not for everyone else.
View Quote

And he watches too  much MSM.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
WTF is a beer and steer?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Gun ownership and use has become so popular and ingrained in American culture (we can still do better! ), that it's getting to the point where it's not the litmus test it used to be, in determining if someone is a conservative or not.

I work with a LOT of lefties. It kind of comes with the territory working in IT, in Cleveland. They own ARs, they own AKs, they have CCW permits...they enjoy all of the trappings of our collective success in relentlessly rolling back firearm restrictions, but never lifted a finger to help. They're piggybacking on the hard word of others, and reaping the benefits. And that's fine, but recognize it for what it is.

The truth is, they're not anti-gun per se (you can credit changing societal attitudes over the last 20 years, thanks to intense lobbying and unwavering political pressure applied by people like us), but they're not really pro-gun either. Not like us. They enjoy having their toys, and they enjoy having their CCW, but it doesn't really factor into who they vote for, the way it does for us. Other issues are far more important to them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
WTF is a beer and steer?
View Quote

Kind of like a beef & brew.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gun ownership and use has become so popular and ingrained in American culture (we can still do better! ), that it's getting to the point where it's not the litmus test it used to be, in determining if someone is a conservative or not.

I work with a LOT of lefties. It kind of comes with the territory working in IT, in Cleveland. They own ARs, they own AKs, they have CCW permits...they enjoy all of the trappings of our collective success in relentlessly rolling back firearm restrictions, but never lifted a finger to help. They're piggybacking on the hard word of others, and reaping the benefits. And that's fine, but recognize it for what it is.

The truth is, they're not anti-gun per se (you can credit changing societal attitudes over the last 20 years, thanks to intense lobbying and unwavering political pressure applied by people like us), but they're not really pro-gun either. Not like us. They enjoy having their toys, and they enjoy having their CCW, but it doesn't really factor into who they vote for, the way it does for us. Other issues are far more important to them.
View Quote

This...and there is a lot of people who really aren't that in to politics, and have the mind state of "this is America, they would never try to ban guns."
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honestly, I think Call of Duty did more for 2A in the US than we ever did.

Those who are "piggybacking" seem to be rather shallow in their thoughts on the matter.  "Why do you need more than 10 rounds?" or "Universal background checks just make common sense." without any real thought on the fact that those are both ineffective for the intended purpose and huge long term liabilities to our rights.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WTF is a beer and steer?
View Quote

A drive thru that makes money by selling alcohol.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF is a beer and steer?

I honestly tried searching and other than a bar in New Zealand, I still have no clue. Is it like a party barn/beer barn?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Way to ruin a fun thread with logic!

I agree completely.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF is a beer and steer?

A drive through liquor store? I assume that is the regional term up there then.

They are called party barns or beer barns here.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I worked with a lawyer who was fine with gun control but still carried.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF is a beer and steer?

In OH there is always one drive through in every town that makes its name by "forgetting" to ID people for beer.  When I was in high school I had a steel reserve a couple times per week.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#15]
FPNI.

Let's face it, a lot on gun owners feel the same.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
WTF is a beer and steer?
View Quote

A Party Barn, man.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#17]
People see Britain and Australia's gun control policies and want us to be the same.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In OH there is always one drive through in every town that makes its name by "forgetting" to ID people for beer.  When I was in high school I had a steel reserve a couple times per week.
View Quote

That's a confirmed fact.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I think people would be shocked to learn how many of the loudest of anti-gunners own guns themselves, and have no plans of ever giving them up. It's the typical liberal mindset with everything, the rules they scream for are for you, not for them.

Now pick up that can peasant.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People see Britain and Australia's gun control policies and want us to be the same.
View Quote

This article's data: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2974487/posts

Was pulled from here: http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics.html

The UK has suffered the same fate.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
...but they're not really pro-gun either. Not like us. They enjoy having their toys, and they enjoy having their CCW, but it doesn't really factor into who they vote for, the way it does for us. Other issues are far more important to them.
View Quote

So here's the next question, and it gets really tricky.  The other side of the double-edged sword, if you will.

If leftist gun owners are anti-liberty in general, and if the Second Amendment exists to ensure that the government is always subservient to The People, then doesn't the increase in liberty with regard to firearms ownership rights carry with it the very threat that it can be used (by those leftist gun owners) to strip the rights of the liberty-minded?

Further, if leftists are more casual than conservatives in their pursuit of owning firearms, then doesn't more gun control decrease the percentage of gun owners who are leftist (even if it decreases the total number of gun owners overall)?

And if the answers to both of those questions are "yes," then shouldn't gun owners whose primary interest in owning firearms is the armed defense of liberty be in favor of gun control?

That is, even if gun control degrades the number, quality, and effectiveness of the arms available to patriots, it causes a much greater level of attrition on the left than the right.  

Therefore, if you take the "chess no checkers" argument of strategy, we should support gun control as being a favorable sacrifice in exchange for a greater degradation of the enemy's combat power.  Sacrificing a knight to take a rook, if you will.

Of course, it hinges on what your goal is.  If you don't want to win the chess game (utter annihilation of the enemy at any cost), then no, it doesn't make sense.

And now it gets even more interesting...

Conservatives, by supporting gun rights, are saying in both literal and inferential terms that they do not wish to annihilate liberals.  Conservatives do not, in fact, ever want to use our arms in defense of liberty, regardless of whatever accusations are levied at us.  We want exactly what we say we want - liberty, and for everyone.

We know this because we make absolutely no attempt to disarm liberals and degrade their potential combat power, even if doing so would force some sacrifices on our part.

In short, we extend trust to liberals, in a manner which is counterintuitive to our survival, because we believe in the inherent goodness of the Constitution, the rule of law, and the American People.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the thing is that we understand this but idiots just see that gun murder rate is down and think it works.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So here's the next question, and it gets really tricky.  The other side of the double-edged sword, if you will.

If leftist gun owners are anti-liberty in general, and if the Second Amendment exists to ensure that the government is always subservient to The People, then doesn't the increase in liberty with regard to firearms ownership rights carry with it the very threat that it can be used (by those leftist gun owners) to strip the rights of the liberty-minded?

Further, if leftists are more casual than conservatives in their pursuit of owning firearms, then doesn't more gun control decrease the percentage of gun owners who are leftist (even if it decreases the total number of gun owners overall)?

And if the answers to both of those questions are "yes," then shouldn't gun owners whose primary interest in owning firearms is the armed defense of liberty be in favor of gun control?

That is, even if gun control degrades the number, quality, and effectiveness of the arms available to patriots, it causes a much greater level of attrition on the left than the right.  

Therefore, if you take the "chess no checkers" argument of strategy, we should support gun control as being a favorable sacrifice in exchange for a greater degradation of the enemy's combat power.  Sacrificing a knight to take a rook, if you will.

Of course, it hinges on what your goal is.  If you don't want to win the chess game (utter annihilation of the enemy at any cost), then no, it doesn't make sense.

Conservatives, by supporting gun rights, are saying in both literal and inferential terms that they do not wish to annihilate liberals.  Conservatives do not, in fact, ever want to use our arms in defense of liberty, regardless of whatever accusations are levied at us.  We want exactly what we say we want - liberty, and for everyone.

We know this because we make absolutely no attempt to disarm liberals and degrade their potential combat power, even if doing so would force some sacrifices on our part.

In short, we extend trust to liberals, in a manner which is counterintuitive to our survival, because we believe in the inherent goodness of the Constitution, the rule of law, and the American People.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...but they're not really pro-gun either. Not like us. They enjoy having their toys, and they enjoy having their CCW, but it doesn't really factor into who they vote for, the way it does for us. Other issues are far more important to them.

*Mixes up a FDE and waits*

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about trannies?

I mean, like, the super hot ones.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I couldn't tell you.

I identify as a post-trans black female lesbian who's really into big-tittied white chicks, and it's a cruel joke of nature that I happen to be trapped in a man's body.

Fortunately, I can still fuck hot bitches and sing my self song.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I couldn't tell you.

I identify as a post-trans black female lesbian who's really into big-tittied white chicks, and it's a cruel joke of nature that I happen to be trapped in a man's body.

Fortunately, I can still fuck hot bitches and sing my self song.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I was gonna send TrojanMan a PVS14 and a bajillion round mag, but his inbox was full.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I totally believe in gun control.

It means hitting what I'm aiming at.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I totally believe in gun control.

It means hitting what I'm aiming at.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
owns a beer and steer...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

owns a beer and steer...

I understand that old retired farts can invent their own alcohol from grains and stuff.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
....The truth is, they're not anti-gun per se (you can credit changing societal attitudes over the last 20 years, thanks to intense lobbying and unwavering political pressure applied by people like us), but they're not really pro-gun either. Not like us. They enjoy having their toys, and they enjoy having their CCW, but it doesn't really factor into who they vote for, the way it does for us. Other issues are far more important to them.
View Quote

My observation has been similar to yours only I would add/change one thing:   Democrats, in general, don't care to follow the law   either due to their own ignorance as to what the law says or simply not caring about what the law says.

In my experience they do what they want without checking on what the law says and then when they learn what the law says they just do it anyway.

This could explain why the people who love firearms don't mind or care voting for Democrats who want to ban them.    

Naturally this is not something that is unique to Democrats however it has been my unscientific observation that, more often than not, Republicans will educate themselves on the law and police their own while obeying laws they detest far more often than Democrats.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was gonna send TrojanMan a PVS14 and a bajillion round mag, but his inbox was full.
View Quote

As a lesbian, I like it best when my box is full.

I have deleted the deleted box, though, so you should be able to squeeze in.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#33]
TrojanMan is, in fact, teh black bartender.

I'm the cute blond chick.

Sub is RICK.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is why I cringe every time I see Arfcommers making assumptions about Libtards all being anti-gun. The fact that so many liberals are pro-gun is a good part of the reason gun control fails at a national level.

People getting pissed about the NRA giving Reid an A rating further cements the failure of many to comprehend this.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I approve of your use of the word "us"
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe he wants it all to end sooner than later, and HRC can do that for us.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Who was the last Republican presidential candidate that didn't support banning assault weapons?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I understand where he's coming from, if I carried a Glock, I would think gun control would be a good idea too. I haven't given up on you yet, we can still bring you onto a righteous path as shown to us by the Prophet John Moses Browning.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#39]
The same way they can believe that a punk, lying piece of shit from Chicago that never held a job could be President. People are stupid.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I work with a LOT of lefties. It kind of comes with the territory working in IT, in Cleveland.
View Quote

Funny thing - it seems that I work with a much larger proportion of conservatives now than in my old job.

Current job? Software supporting the meat manufacturing industry.
Previous job? Defense contractor.

Yes, that's right.

I worked in defense and we had a shitload of very left-leaning individuals; I would go so far as to say it was likely the majority of the workforce at that site.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
FPNI.

View Quote

I'd say the vast majority on this site support the provisions of the 1968 GCA.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FPNI.

40%.  Give or take a few percent.

It's held for almost every poll about any facet of gun control I've seen here in recent memory.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Because they have fallen for the fallacy of thinking that no guns would equal no crime.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI.

I'll go on the record and say the gca is bullshit
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I understand where he's coming from, if I carried a Glock, I would think gun control would be a good idea too. I haven't given up on you yet, we can still bring you onto a righteous path as shown to us by the Prophet John Moses Browning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't understand this thread. Gun ownership was never a litmus test for conservatism. I remember when the long-time Democratic congressman from Michigan, John Dingell, was a member of the NRA Board of Directors.

The far, hard-core left (think the Black Panthers, etc.) has always been in favor of guns. It was the shenanigans of the Black Panthers, for example, that got open carry outlawed in California.

What has happened in recent years is that opposition to guns has become a litmus test for  a certain segment of the Democratic party, centered in upper-middle class suburbs, college towns, the East and West Coasts, etc. These people unfortunately drive the issues agenda of the Democratic party. But to the extent they are in control, they alienate the traditional blue-collar Democratic voters. Those voters are now voting Republican on social issues alone. They are not, and never have been, economic conservatives.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't understand this thread. Gun ownership was never a litmus test for conservatism. I remember when the long-time Democratic congressman from Michigan, John Dingell, was a member of the NRA Board of Directors.

The far, hard-core left (think the Black Panthers, etc.) has always been in favor of guns. It was the shenanigans of the Black Panthers, for example, that got open carry outlawed in California.

What has happened in recent years is that opposition to guns has become a litmus test for  a certain segment of the Democratic party, centered in upper-middle class suburbs, college towns, the East and West Coasts, etc. These people unfortunately drive the issues agenda of the Democratic party. But to the extent they are in control, they alienate the traditional blue-collar Democratic voters. Those voters are now voting Republican on social issues alone. They are not, and never have been, economic conservatives.
View Quote

How can a party thats core values now revolve around restriction of freedom and government control ever be pro freedom of anything?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Because they have fallen for the fallacy of thinking that no guns would equal no crime.
View Quote

This is it . Crazy thing is this thinking isn't just dumb people . More times than not it is educated liberals who fall for the whole guns are bad , Black guns are worse, anything holding more than seven or ten rounds are extra bad . terms like "high powered " "military" and "semi automatic" completely freak them out even though they don't have a faint clue as to what those terms mean.

Just think , if we could jut outlaw "high powered sports cars" we could save tens of thousands of lives every year . Just do it for the kids!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I always have a chuckle when guys on here brag about helping their stupid fucking liberal neighbor pick out a good firearm and ammunition to be used in case the SHTF.  Who do they think that firearm will be used on if the shit does go down?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top