Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 2 says "No".
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still love it.  I'm just sick of movies trying to copy it's style of action.
View Quote

You would be hard pressed to find an action movie that didn't use some style of action that The Matrix used now a days.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Lets play that game, Would GD hit it???

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#4]
im going to say no.

After watching it again recently the special effects are in the realm of how did i ever think this looked believable.

the story is good but i don't think its a classic.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, even more relevant today.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes. Well at least the first one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What do those things go for?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My favorite scene is when trinity is riding the Ducati 996 for the longest time, that bodystyle superbike was my favorite. Now I own one
What do those things go for?  

4-6 grand. Sps/R versions can fetch a little more because of their low production numbers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Saw it in the theater 3 times. LOVE it then and still do today.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I still love it
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#10]
the matrix is a great movie and pioneered shit like star wars did when it came out
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Matrix is fucken awesome.

Still one of my all time favorites.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Loved the Matrix. Try to re watch it every couple years. I still love the sequence at the end where Neo explodes the agent and stands there... And reality warps around him.

Matrix is a perfect amalgam of American and Japanese movie tropes. Shoot, the cascading green characters were ripped right out of Ghost in the Shell.

Great flick. The sequels not as much but still very watchable.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#13]
FPNI

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
the matrix is a great movie and pioneered shit like star wars did when it came out
View Quote

Two words: Bullet. Time.

Everyone wanted that effect in their movie or commercial!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Hell yes.  Fantastic movie.

I watched it in the theater in '99, and was blown away.  I introduced my kids to it on Blu-Ray just last night.  They thought it was awesome too.  And now they're pretty proud of themselves since it was their first rated R movie.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Explains why dark city sucked
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The first one was a classic.

The sequels were meh.
The movie dark city told almost the same story in one movie minus the fancy effects and fight scenes  

I love that movie.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
.......The sequels not as much but still very watchable.
View Quote

i think the trenchcoat mafia bs / colombine media link had a hand in that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.......The sequels not as much but still very watchable.

Yeah, possibly. The concepts presented in the sequels were not as deep as the first movie. Once you've busted the idea that reality is not real, where could you go from there that's as big a mind-screw? They did their best on the sequels, but there was no way they could live up to the original.

Bonus: if you watch the making of features on the DVD of the IIRC third sequel you will see Adam Savage and Tori Bellecci from Mythbusters... before there was a Mythbusters.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#19]
The Matrix is a near perfect film.   It holds up and will always hold up.   The sequels are less impressive but better than they receive credit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I saw them all in the theater.  I remembered liking them until I tried watching them again.  I'd rather get a root canal.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Some parts of the Animatrix were just depressing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd like the next sequel to be a prequel to what led up to the Matrix

A live action version of Animatrix?

Some parts of the Animatrix were just depressing

Glad it wasn't just me. I can't watch it, way too bleak for me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#22]
"There's no fork."
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Great flick. I love it, one of my favorites. It blew me away when I first saw it.

I loved when Neo used the A1 in the lobby scene.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The sequels were meh.
View Quote

I concur with both statements.  

There was way too much CGI in the sequels.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#25]
are you kidding

thre 3 most copied films in history

matrix, magnificent 7  & Pocahontas the Matrix will never be out of date or relevance it will go down like kelly's heros
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The sequels were meh PURE GARBAGE!!!!!.
View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sequels were meh.
The movie dark city told almost the same story in one movie minus the fancy effects and fight scenes  

then explain how it is even close to matrix

synipsis of dark city 1998
John Murdoch awakens alone in a strange hotel to find that he has lost his memory and is wanted for a series of brutal and bizarre murders. While trying to piece together his past, he stumbles upon a fiendish underworld controlled by a group of beings known as The Strangers who possess the ability to put people to sleep and alter the city and its inhabitants. Now Murdoch must find a way to stop them before they take control of his mind and destroy him.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The Matrix is a near perfect film.
View Quote

Agreed.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I love that movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sequels were meh.

I love that movie.

No need to .  Dark City was superb, and highly underrated.

The Matrix also stole some story from the 13th Floor, some special effects from Blade, the title from Shadowrun, and then wrapped it up in pretentiousness and science that just doesn't work.  People don't generate much power.

The sequels only highlighted the failures of the first movie.

It looks good and it's a cool movie, provided you really don't think about it too much.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#30]
What a terrible trailer.  It showed 90% of the movie.z
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No, Reeves is dating a man woman
View Quote

So because he is dating a man woman in real life, in 2015, that makes the movie that was made in 1999 bad?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No need to .  Dark City was superb, and highly underrated.

The Matrix also stole some story from the 13th Floor, some special effects from Blade, the title from Shadowrun, and then wrapped it up in pretentiousness and science that just doesn't work.  People don't generate much power.

The sequels only highlighted the failures of the first movie.

It looks good and it's a cool movie, provided you really don't think about it too much.
View Quote

Human bodies generate negative power when you account for the energy you have to provide them with in order to grow and sustain them.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What if I told you that there will come a point in your life, where your perception of time changes.

16 year old movies, from you perspective will seem like they didn't come out that long ago, and you'll be amazed that they call them "classic".
View Quote

I introduced my son to "saving Private Ryan" and Enemy at the Gates this week (he's Ten)  I consider them "new" movies
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#34]
I think the Matrix is a victim of its own success.

At the time it came out I thought it was a good movie, but as time went on and it was copied, spoofed, merchandised and had two completely shit sequels released I came to appreciate it less and less.

I also went from thinking the Wachowskis were geniuses to thinking they are one note hacks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I saw them all in the theater.  I remembered liking them until I tried watching them again.  I'd rather get a tooth canal.
View Quote

Tooth canal? I hate it when that happens!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw them all in the theater.  I remembered liking them until I tried watching them again.  I'd rather get a tooth canal.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#37]
When I watch the original Star Wars movies, I still love them, plot holes and all.

However, I was kid when I first saw them, and I will always look at them through a child's eyes.

I was much older when I saw The Matrix. It became apparent much more quickly that the story fell apart if you thought about it too much.

The fact that the sequels were awful doesn't help either.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
"There's no fork."
View Quote

"you think that is air your inhaling?"
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#39]
It's a great movie, as a movie, but I always felt the script was 4lbs of retarded in a 3lb bag...the entire concept is really pretty stupid when you think about it.

But, if you buy in and forget about the absurdity, it's fun and has great mood and characters.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's a great movie, as a movie, but I always felt the script was 4lbs of retarded in a 3lb bag...the entire concept is really pretty stupid when you think about it.

But, if you buy in and forget about the absurdity, it's fun and has great mood and characters.
View Quote

Die Hard is the best action movie ever made. But the idea of one barefoot guy killing fifty terrorists with machine guns by himself is also an absurd one to buy into

That's exactly what happens when every beat in the movie is perfect though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes. Innovative practical effects. Solid story line. Great action.

The two others got worse and worse, but the original is one of the best sci fi of all time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Still love it.  I'm just sick of movies trying to copy it's style of action.
View Quote

Oh my heavens, THIS.

The one silly parody of it in Shrek was about all I tolerated.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'd like the next sequel to be a prequel to what led up to the Matrix
View Quote

Someone's probably already mentioned it by now, but that's what the Animatrix does (unfortunately many of their other mini-stories are stupid).
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
First movie, yes
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Die Hard is the best action movie ever made. But the idea of one barefoot guy killing fifty terrorists with machine guns by himself is also an absurd one to buy into
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the action of DH is implausible, but the concept could happen in the real. The problem with the Matrix was that the concept was pretty retarded, when you think about it. AI and robots so advanced they could do all the insanely innovative and complex things to create that world, but used humans as batteries?

I guess all the other animals on earth died too, and not even having one breeding pair of simple cows, deer, rabbits, anything to build up a battery farm was just too much - so they used almost-impossible-to-control humans, and created a vast and super-complex fake virtual reality to make everyone passive and accept their true purpose, becuase that's way easier than a super smart computer finding another power source. You know what would make a good power source? Whatever let the sentries fly around...because it wasn't fossil fuels and rockets, or human-battery levitation thingies. Oh, and if you know it's not reality like they teach Neo, you can dodge bullets. For everyone else, knowing it's not reality apparently doesn't shield them from not-real bullets...and they're still too slow.

I could go on, but the problem is the concept is silly. The concept of Die Hard isn't silly, it just goes a little overboard...and even then, McClain didn't just breeze through them, he suffered a lot of injuries. It made you forget that he was doing superhuman things, which was smart moviemaking.

Dumb movie making is people watching falling glyphs on a screen saver, and can see through it and know complex actions happening on the other side - just seeing code. Shit, if you can do that, you're practically Neo already.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes it does
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#47]
yeah it was awesome..and yes it rose the bar for every sfx heavy movie afterwards
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#48]

The Matrix is one story I wouldn't mind if a remake was made some day.  

I liked the short films in Animatrix.  Its a cartoon take on the matrix universe.  I like it better than the sequels.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What if I told you that there will come a point in your life, where your perception of time changes.

16 year old movies, from you perspective will seem like they didn't come out that long ago, and you'll be amazed that they call them "classic".
View Quote

This.  How many movies in the interim have copied a fight sequence or filming technique from the Matrix?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, the action of DH is implausible, but the concept could happen in the real. The problem with the Matrix was that the concept was pretty retarded, when you think about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the action of DH is implausible, but the concept could happen in the real. The problem with the Matrix was that the concept was pretty retarded, when you think about it.

As you're discussing Die Hard in the car on the way home from the theater, it's implausible but fun.

The Matrix... just doesn't make any sense.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top