Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the Miata is becoming the lazy answer.

Cars are getting older by the day, there are plenty of cool cars for 10K and they will all have their pro's and con's.
View Quote

I don't follow?

They haven't stopped making Miatas yet. Every year, $10k gets you a slightly newer used Miata than it did last year, all things being equal. On average, of course. No one is saying he has to get a first year NA in mint condition.

In my opinion, if it's a car you're going to drive a lot and don't really want to wrench on every other weekend, keep it under 10 years old. For $10k, a used Miata is perfect.

It's not laziness. A Miata really is the answer to many automotive questions, including his.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Heck, my 350Z gets that on the highway...
I average right around 20mpg overall, mostly in town driving, but I'm a bit pedal happy...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Miata people, what highway mileage do you get?

~27 in my NB @75mph.

That's also ~4k rpm in 5th gear. They're a bit rev happy.

I average right around 20mpg overall, mostly in town driving, but I'm a bit pedal happy...

~ 24.5 with me at probably 70% highway usage.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

~27 in my NB @75mph.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~27 in my NB @75mph.

4000 rpm at 75?

My SL500 is around 2200 in 5th.........what's your Miata top out at?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I don't follow?

They haven't stopped making Miatas yet. Every year, $10k gets you a slightly newer used Miata than it did last year, all things being equal. On average, of course. No one is saying he has to get a first year NA in mint condition.

In my opinion, if it's a car you're going to drive a lot and don't really want to wrench on every other weekend, keep it under 10 years old. For $10k, a used Miata is perfect.

It's not laziness. A Miata really is the answer to many automotive questions, including his.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cars are getting older by the day, there are plenty of cool cars for 10K and they will all have their pro's and con's.

I don't follow?

Indeed it is.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

~27 in my NB @75mph.

I think I'm around 27ish MPG on the highway in my '06 NC. They're geared really low. It almost needs a 7th gear for normal interstate (70-80mph) cruising.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The 3k GT is not a sports car, it's a heavy, fragile turd that sort of tried to compete with the Supra, and the Nissan GT-R, poorly I might add. The GTO, 4th Gen F-body, and the Mustang aren't sports cars, and the 300ZX turbo cars haven't aged all that well, and are a nightmare to work on. A sub 10k one is probably a basket case.

The fact that you even mentioned the 3k gt, or an Audi makes me question your knowledge of cars outright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When did Arfcom turn into a bunch of tofu fartin, Miata drivin fairy's?

How bout a Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4 Twin turbo? Or slightly older GT / Cobra Mustang? or a 93+ Nissan 300ZX twin turbo? Pontiac GTO with an LS motor? 95+ SS/Z28 Camaro?

If your going to look at a little foofoo fart machine car at least look at a WRX, EVO, Audi TT maybe even a GSX Eclipse?

Mazda Miata... the basturd midget tranny of the car world. gimmie a got damn break.

The 3k GT is not a sports car, it's a heavy, fragile turd that sort of tried to compete with the Supra, and the Nissan GT-R, poorly I might add. The GTO, 4th Gen F-body, and the Mustang aren't sports cars, and the 300ZX turbo cars haven't aged all that well, and are a nightmare to work on. A sub 10k one is probably a basket case.

The fact that you even mentioned the 3k gt, or an Audi makes me question your knowledge of cars outright.

And sometimes a person needs to let their inner Joe Dirt out.

Fuck the Miata.

Both of these can be plenty of fun without the need for "hhhhhnnnnngggggg momentum" fanboi bullshit.

There are lots of ways to have fun.   Being in a devoid of style miata isnt fun to me no matter how good they good they handle.

Would rather, and did, add suspension/brakes/gears to make my 95 more agile so that it could still test the limits of it's tires.

there is more than one way to have fun.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't follow?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't follow?

Exactly. It's not the answer to everything, but if someone asks "hey, what's a cheap reliable sports car" then someone is going to answer "Mazda Miata" and they'll be correct in doing so.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't follow?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't follow?

Well everyone knows its a good answer to a cheap sports car so you see tons of them, its over played a bit lately so there's zero exclusively. I dont care wbat anyone says, when you see your basically same exact car it gives you a weird feeling.

Its is reliable and with that comes a boring engine and overall design philosophy inside and out.

IMO the s2k is so much more of interesting take on a cheap, small roadster. It has way more character and a much better engine.

To just say "miata" when someone asks about a cheaper sports car it just seems lazy, why not try to find a car with more power or better looking or a better interior?
There are tons out there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Used Scion FR-S are getting down to about $15k now, with some shopping.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

IMO the s2k is so much more of interesting take on a cheap, small roadster. It has way more character and a much better engine.
View Quote

I agree. However, they were produced in much lower numbers, and as such are quickly becoming collector's cars in clean original condition. You won't touch one below $10k.

The early ones also have a reputation (deserved, IMHO) for being rather twitchy cars; they can easily get away from you if you aren't careful.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

4000 rpm at 75?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~27 in my NB @75mph.

4000 rpm at 75?

About 120 (drag limited). I've had mine to 100, and that was plenty. It honestly sucks driving a Miata that fast on a freeway for more than a minute or so.

They're not fast cars. Miatas have never been "numbers" cars. That's not why you buy one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Fuck the Miata.

http://i.imgur.com/k6NxuANh.jpg

Both of these can be plenty of fun without the need for "hhhhhnnnnngggggg momentum" fanboi bullshit.

There are lots of ways to have fun.   Being in a devoid of style miata isnt fun to me no matter how good they good they handle.

Would rather, and did, add suspension/brakes/gears to make my 95 more agile so that it could still test the limits of it's tires.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How bout a Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4 Twin turbo? Or slightly older GT / Cobra Mustang? or a 93+ Nissan 300ZX twin turbo? Pontiac GTO with an LS motor? 95+ SS/Z28 Camaro?

If your going to look at a little foofoo fart machine car at least look at a WRX, EVO, Audi TT maybe even a GSX Eclipse?

Mazda Miata... the basturd midget tranny of the car world. gimmie a got damn break.

Fuck the Miata.

He said sporty, not muscle-ey.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

About 120 (drag limited). I've had mine to 100, and that was plenty. It honestly sucks driving a Miata that fast on a freeway for more than a minute or so.

They're not fast cars. Miatas have never been "numbers" cars. That's not why you buy one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~27 in my NB @75mph.

4000 rpm at 75?

IMO if we're going to keep calling a straight up "sports car" we might as well include a mini.
Same idea: no power, stupid small but it turns good.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Find me a car with rear wheel drive, a 50:50 weight distribution, total weight WELL under 3,000 lbs, an excellent manual transmission, and long term reliability and maintenance needs that rival even the most boring of appliance cars, all for under $10k.

When you can meet all that criteria with a car that isn't a Miata, let me know. I probably want one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
IMO if we're going to keep calling a straight up "sports car" we might as well include a mini.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

~27 in my NB @75mph.

4000 rpm at 75?

Mini's have terrible higher mileage reliability. Every one I looked at in the under $12k price range last year was garbage. The convertibles were even worse. And like the S2000 they commanded (at least the Mini 'verts did) a higher price point for much higher mileage and worse wear compared to a Miata. The Mini S's (we drove turbo and supercharged versions) were even more anemic then a Miata.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Fuck the Miata.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck the Miata.

I had an 05 Mustang GT. My Miata is a lot more fun to drive around town, and on twisty backroads. My GT would absolutely clobber my Miata in every performance metric you cared to measure, on any road (or track) you decided to compare it on. And I still enjoy driving my Miata more. Way more.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Toyota
MR2 The newer ones.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

When I used mine to commute I got 30-31 @ 65-70 MPH running regular.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I had an 05 Mustang GT. My Miata is a lot more fun to drive around town, and on twisty backroads. My GT would absolutely clobber my Miata in every performance metric you cared to measure, on any road (or track) you decided to compare it on. And I still enjoy driving my Miata more. Way more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck the Miata.

Having had an '08 Mustang GT Bullitt and now this '06 NC Miata I would echo this statement too. Unless you like to tinker more than you drive you're just not going to beat a Miata.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#21]
There's a give and take with everything.
You guys clamering for reliability cause you dont want to get your hands dirty are crossing a good amount of cars off your list.
Are these your daily drivers? I would think a roadster is a 2nd or 3rd car.

And the lack of sub-3000lbs cars is a culture thing, you cant have powerful/torqey engine, awesome interior and a safe vehicle and have it be less than 3k lbs so cars like that are hard to come by in the states and for good reason.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck the Miata.

That makes a lot of sense.....kind of like an old MG

I had a Shelby Charger with the Turbo 2.2 decades ago that was super fun on twisty back roads

Now that I live in Kansas though there are no twisty backroads and you have to be able to run 80 mph all
day on the highway
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fine. We can include them in the discussion, but the answer is still going to be Miata when we're done.

The fact that it's FWD is already a strike against it (I say it outright disqualifies it, bit that's just one man's opinion ). Come on man - engine in the front, drive in the back. There are rules.

We're enthusiasts, right? This is classic sports car stuff. They're not as reliable as a Miata, they're more expensive to maintain and repair than a Miata, and you're not getting a good one that hasn't been used up for less than $10k.

The S2000 you mentioned earlier ticks all the enthusiast/visceral driving experience boxes, but not for less than $10k. A $10k Miata is always going to be a better buy than what's left of a $10k S2000.

There's a reason people keep coming back to Miatas in discussions like these. You're almost forced to.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You guys clamering for reliability cause you dont want to get your hands dirty are crossing a good amount of cars off your list.

And the lack of sub-3000lbs cars is a culture thing, you cant have powerful/torqey engine, awesome interior and a safe vehicle and have it be less than 3k lbs so cars like that are hard to come by in the states and for good reason.
View Quote

I'll admit my SL500 is a porker for a Roadster, but man if you were in an accident I'd rather be in it than a sub 3000 pound anything......
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I had a Shelby Charger with the Turbo 2.2 decades ago that was super fun on twisty back roads

Now that I live in Kansas though there are no twisty backroads and you have to be able to run 80 mph all

day on the highway
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck the Miata.

day on the highway
I'd go with more muscle and longer wheelbase in your situation then too.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No shit. Some of these replies originate in fantasy land. A sub $10k WRX or EVO? It's as if they read the OP request as "I need something completely clapped out. I enjoy wrenching more than driving, so if your suggestions could reflect this, I'd appreciate it".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wrx, evo, m3, or any number of American muscle cars if that is your thing.
Where are these sub 10k evos you speak of?  

Parked next to the sub $10K C5 vettes, GTO's, and S2000's.

No shit. Some of these replies originate in fantasy land. A sub $10k WRX or EVO? It's as if they read the OP request as "I need something completely clapped out. I enjoy wrenching more than driving, so if your suggestions could reflect this, I'd appreciate it".

They're sold down the street from the gunshop with $200 Model 19s, $100 SKSes, and $1,000 Pythons.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well........I have two toys.....

a Mercedes SL500 and a Supercharged Crown Vic......both are perfect Kansas cars......
one of these days I'll pick up a S600 with the twin turbo V12

I don't mind getting my hands dirty working on things and Mercedes don't scare me.....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

a Mercedes SL500 and a Supercharged Crown Vic......both are perfect Kansas cars......

I don't mind getting my hands dirty working on things and Mercedes don't scare me.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those would both do the trick. What year CV did you S/C?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a 2000 Police Interceptor with 3:55 gears, J mod shift kit and an Allen Supercharger
on a 4.6 with 60,000 miles......its nothing particularly fancy but it has run a 12.9 on the 1/4
and its a good family car
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fine. We can include them in the discussion, but the answer is still going to be Miata when we're done.

The fact that it's FWD is already a strike against it (I say it outright disqualifies it, bit that's just one man's opinion ). Come on man - engine in the front, drive in the back. There are rules.

We're enthusiasts, right? This is classic sports car stuff. They're not as reliable as a Miata, they're more expensive to maintain and repair than a Miata, and you're not getting a good one that hasn't been used up for less than $10k.

The S2000 you mentioned earlier ticks all the enthusiast/visceral driving experience boxes, but not for less than $10k. A $10k Miata is always going to be a better buy than what's left of a $10k S2000.

There's a reason people keep coming back to Miatas in discussions like these. You're almost forced to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my discussions with people and crossing cars off the list to meet requirements the vette is always the last car remaining on that list. You have to have the power to back up the entire premise of a sports cars as they are not practical and they're really an extra vehicle.

I know its an opinion thing but I dont run into alot of people who pull thr trigger on sports car and are ok with dealing with all the trade offs a sports car bring and not have the power to back it all up. Of course this could be more who I associate with more than the general publics view, Im not sure.

As much as I dont like the pre LS engines Id buy an LT1 vette over a miata.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck the Miata.

See and that is my 95 Cobra for me.

I love that it shakes the whole car to death simply sitting at idle.   I love that it is an uncivilized and nasty smelling belching asshole of a car.   Put it through tight corners is a ton of fun, maybe the balance and lightness of the car isnt that of a miata but the sensations coming out of a turn and braking before the turn are more fun to me because there is so much less finesse.

It still hauls ass.   If a miata can get through a turn 5mph faster than my 95 it wont matter because sanity is going to slow both cars down when you consider that around the next corner could be road debris, a cow, or a damn bicycle crawling up the hill at a standstill.

The 95 matches my never grew up mentality.   It is my midlife crisis mobile given it is my graduating year of high school.

Cannot wait to get my built 331 into it.

Goal is to get to the Silver State Classic with it next year.   If it isnt ready the 2005 is going instead.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'll admit my SL500 is a porker for a Roadster, but man if you were in an accident I'd rather be in it than a sub 3000 pound anything......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy frickin' cow...

CURB WEIGHT 4121 lbs.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Holy frickin' cow...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy frickin' cow...

CURB WEIGHT 4121 lbs.

I know right!

But you would never know it driving it.

If the thing weighed 3200 pounds it would be an animal

but as is, its very lively and quick.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Miata's are cheap as shit to insure.  That's going to be a factor to consider as well...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck finding an E46 M3 that's not beaten up or worn down for $10,000 or less (at least in my area).  You can, however, find an E36 M3 in good condition for well under $10,000.  For someone who's never driven a fast/fun car, the difference will be negligible, and in my (limited) experience, fixing/maintaining the E36 is cheaper.

OP, the Miata and C5 Corvette suggestions are good, though price range might be an issue on the Corvette.  Consider also the Honda S2000: "Miata, but more!"  A BMW M3 of any vintage should not disappoint, and the older ones will seat five if seating for two is an issue.

Miata's are cheap as shit to insure.  That's going to be a factor to consider as well...

E36 M3.   Declared value of $6500 with Hagerty insurance...5k miles a year allowed...$270 for a year.    
If it's a collectible/performance car that's eligible for something other than your regular insurance...you may be able to get cheap insurance on it...
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Since you are a bigger guy (height wise...no idea about weight)

Consider mid size (ie: corvette, firebird, Camaro, mustang etc)

I have an extremely modified 3g Eclipse GTS, pushes a little over 300 hp and as my son says..."I have shoes bigger than your car dad!"

I am 6"2 and 250 lbs, In an accident, they will most likely have to bury me in the car. Even slightly injured it would be a real problem getting out of the car.

I can't imagine a Miata being any better and most likely worse, only positive is with a convertible you would have an easier in out with the top down.
View Quote

That's the only way I get in/out of mine.  6'4" 260lbs here.  Removed the armrest in order to fit my left leg between the door and steering wheel.  Fun little cars.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#36]
How about spending that 10k on your jeep? I would not buy a sports car for 10k. Ever.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How about spending that 10k on your jeep? I would not buy a sports car for 10k. Ever.
View Quote

Because when he's done, he'll have $10k worth of mods to his Jeep, but he still won't own a sports car.

My YJ was just as fun as my Miata, but in a much different way. It's application specific, ya know?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Because when he's done, he'll have $10k worth of mods to his Jeep, but he still won't own a sports car.

My YJ was just as fun as my Miata, but in a much different way. It's application specific, ya know?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have more fun off road than I do on so me personally I don't see the point of ever owning a flashy sports car. Flashy truck or jeep on the other hand? Now you're speaking my language. I wish I had 10 grand to dump into my truck right now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I have more fun off road than I do on so me personally I don't see the point of ever owning a flashy sports car. Flashy truck or jeep on the other hand? Now you're speaking my language. I wish I had 10 grand to dump into my truck right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you make a thread asking what to do with $10k in mods for your truck we'll be sure to recommend that you buy a Miata then.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Miata is a flashy sports car?  Who knew!?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

When you make a thread asking what to do with $10k in mods for your truck we'll be sure to recommend that you buy a Miata then.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd chuckle. I enjoy a good inside joke.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Those aren't so bad once you follow the one rule of GM anything made in the past 40 years.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/61206313.jpg

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/attachments/f53/156009d1353317339t-ls1-pontiac-fiero-ls1-fiero-2.jpg

Yeah they're cramped, but its all GM, so its not like its particularly difficult to work on, or source parts.

As long as you get one knowing full well that any stock engine that came with them belongs in the trashcan, they're fine.
View Quote

LS swap a Miata.

/thread
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
LS swap a Miata.

/thread
View Quote

While I TOTALLY get the idea of shoehorning a massive engine (with it's attendant horsepower and torque) into a lightweight two seater (AC Cobra anyone?) because 'Murica, I still think it defeats the purpose of owning a Miata to begin with. It misses the point.

If you want a balls out fast car on the cheap (and to hell with everything else), there are easier and cheaper ways to go about it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.

What's out there really?

240SX?  MR2's?  Corolla GT-S (AE86)?  

They're going to be old and in need of some kind of work.

Lots of Miatas are driven very sparingly AND aren't modded AND are babied.

That opens up a ton of good options for the price range.  

Most of the other RWD Japanese cars will be fucked with in one way or the other.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Find me a car with rear wheel drive, a 50:50 weight distribution, total weight WELL under 3,000 lbs, an excellent manual transmission, and long term reliability and maintenance needs that rival even the most boring of appliance cars, all for under $10k.

When you can meet all that criteria with a car that isn't a Miata, let me know. I probably want one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MR2 Spyders are close. They're lighter but are less reliable,have a tiny portion of support and have the pros and cons of being mid-engined.They also have no practical space at all. I love mine but prefer the Miata.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Infiniti G35

either in the Four Doors = More Whores variety, or the coupe.

it's aged well, decent power, fun to drive, great chassis, respectable, comfortable, safe, reliable. and in your price point.

You can take a nice girl somewhere classy. Or take 3 not nice girls somewhere exciting. It'll be decently quick and handle very competently. It's a Nissan underneath, so services wont be expensive and it'll be pretty reliable.

/thread.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
MR2 Spyders are close. They're lighter but are less reliable,have a tiny portion of support and have the pros and cons of being mid-engined.They also have no practical space at all. I love mine but prefer the Miata.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Much lower production numbers on those too so they're tougher to find. That was on my list last year too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

The thing about reliability is, guys who want a project car can buy a project car, guys like me that want to drive want to drive, not spend their time off and "extra" money fixing shit. When the pieces fall into place and I get the opportunity to take my Miata out for a long drive, I like being fairly certain it's going to work.

And that leads me to another issue with reliability. When I take my Miata out, I go out into rural areas, and I often go down random roads just to see how that road is. I use major terrain features like rivers, Interstates, and US highways as boundaries, and I play with the car. If something breaks when I'm out, I'm screwed. I'd probably need to call in GPS coordinates for someone to find me on a map.  If I had a more temperamental car like a traditional British or Italian roadster, I wouldn't even consider taking it the places I've taken my Miata or driving it as hard as I do my Miata.

Then there's weight. I guess I understood the physics at a textbook level, but it took me a long time to appreciate what weight really means to a car. Amusingly enough, the vehicle that gave me my first clue was a Jeep XJ. I learned how to drive in trucks, vans, and SUVs. When I bought my XJ, it was the smallest, lightest thing I'd ever driven on a regular basis. I found it really fun to pound around in, even on pavement. I knew part of it was the power to weight ratio, but I couldn't really put my finger on what made it so fun to toss around. Buying my 2009 Civic was eye-opening, and that was mostly just an appliance car. When I took the Miata out for that test drive, it was sublime.

For most purposes, when you're talking about vehicle performance and dynamics, weight is a bad thing, and it's more important that just about any other quality of a vehicle. Improving your brakes improves your ability to brake, and that's it. Adding power improves your acceleration, maybe towing power if you're talking about a truck, and that's it. Reducing weight improves acceleration, handling, braking, and efficiency all at once. 3,000 lbs isn't necessarily a hard limit, but it is a really good milestone. The further you can get a fun weekend vehicle below that point, the better. The higher a "fun" vehicle weighs in above that point, the less fun it is, unless you're talking about a military surplus truck for offroading or something. The new Mustang GT weighs 3,705 lbs. That's not okay. That's in the same ballpark as my mother's old 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis land yacht. Sure, you can make something fast by giving it a ballsy V8, and you can make it corner better by giving it really fat, sticky tires and putting a lot of work into the suspension, but at the end of the day, you're still throwing around a thing that weighs two tons with a driver and a tank of gas. And just because it can do it doesn't mean it's as fun as doing the same thing with a car that weighs over 1,000 lbs less.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Truth.

What's out there really?

Most of the other RWD Japanese cars will be fucked with in one way or the other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.

What's out there really?

240SX IF the engine swap has happened, and a Miata will run circles around it if it hasn't. (driven both extensively).

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top