Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2015 2:54:54 PM EDT
This one seemed to be more impactful than the 1000 others we have had the last few years.

I was talking to one of the geologist researching this a few months back, he said to expect a magnitude 7 at some point.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#3]
We felt it in Wichita.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#4]
BAN FRACKING BAN BAN BAN LAWS BAN
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure felt it here in Tulsa. 2nd largest ive felt here
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We felt it in Wichita.
View Quote

You stealing our quakes bro?

I was just happy to have survived it!  When the guy told me to expect a mag 7 at some point I rolled my eyes.  Maybe he is correct.

His technical explanation filtered through my simple mind is that high pressure disposal wells are breaking up the stability layer under the ground which along with Oklahoma geology is causing the quakes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I worked in Norman, Oklahoma 2007-2009 and people were giving me crap on why would I live in California with all those earthquakes.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]

4.5 according to USGS, felt it in OKC.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was just happy to have survived it!  When the guy told me to expect a mag 7 at some point I rolled my eyes.  Maybe he is correct.

His technical explanation filtered through my simple mind is that high pressure disposal wells are breaking up the stability layer under the ground which along with Oklahoma geology is causing the quakes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We felt it in Wichita.

Dumbed down a bit further from recent research here, the disposal wells may be injecting water near the existing faults and lubricating the fault plains.  Isn't adding a significant amount of additional stress, just reducing the friction on a currently stressed fault.  Can have a lot of little ones now releasing stress, or a larger one in future.

"The Earth's crust is full of fractures and faults. Under natural conditions, widespread faults deep in the crust are able to sustain high stresses without slipping. In rare instances, pressure from wastewater injected into deep wells can counteract the frictional forces on faults and cause earthquakes (Hayes, 2012). In other words, fluid injected near a fault can, in effect, change pore pressure--the amount of pressure that fluid in a rock's pores exerts on the rock--allowing a fault to move."
http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Publications/PIC/pic36.html
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We felt it in Wichita.  

Deep wastewater injection may be causing small quakes in the geology associated with the Ouachita Mountains and their surrounding structure.  But it takes major fault lines to produce a major quake like a 7.0.  Major like the San Andreas or the New Madrid faults.  OK does not have one features of those in its geology.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
50 miles to the southeast of me and I haven't felt shit, although I'm on a frac job right now so maybe this was result of all my hard work
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Dumbed down a bit further from recent research here, the disposal wells may be injecting water near the existing faults and lubricating the fault plains.  Isn't adding a significant amount of additional stress, just reducing the friction on a currently stressed fault.  Can have a lot of little ones now releasing stress, or a larger one in future.

I've found that water is not a great lubricant.

"The Earth's crust is full of fractures and faults. Under natural conditions, widespread faults deep in the crust are able to sustain high stresses without slipping. In rare instances, pressure from wastewater injected into deep wells can counteract the frictional forces on faults and cause earthquakes (Hayes, 2012). In other words, fluid injected near a fault can, in effect, change pore pressure--the amount of pressure that fluid in a rock's pores exerts on the rock--allowing a fault to move."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We felt it in Wichita.

I've found that water is not a great lubricant.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
4.6 isnt bad, a would be shocked if a 7 ever happens there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Daily event in the PRK.
Why worry?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#15]
It looks like the small quakes are preventing a big one; therefore injection wells are a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#16]
The Mississippi River valley is like the Great Rift in Africa but without the rift part.
Just waiting for the big slip to happen.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Mississippi River valley is like the Great Rift in Africa but without the rift part.
View Quote

Wat?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wat?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

Do you even New Madrid bro?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

That is a threat for the Mississippi river area i dont think it will reach all the way out to Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

Do you even divergent plate boundary brah? Fault doesn't = a developed triple junction, unless you're making a prediction for 20 million or so years from now...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top