Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As I said earlier, today I did:

Squat 340 5x5, extra credit squats 435 x 2
Overhead press 130 5x5
Deadlift 345 3x5, extra credit deadlifts 365 x 5
Assisted pullups and dips
Ran 6 miles.

Next Wednesday, the run goes up to 7 miles.

That's right, bitches, I lift heavy shit (getting closer to where I was pre-surgery), and then follow it up with a long run right after.

Where is your gym god now?
View Quote

Assisted pull-ups...

We got a nancy boy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Assisted pull-ups...

We got a nancy boy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overhead press 130 5x5
Ran 6 miles.

That's right, bitches, I lift heavy shit (getting closer to where I was pre-surgery), and then follow it up with a long run right after.

Assisted pull-ups...

We got a nancy boy.

I also had a hernia. Mine was a double and one was massive nasty one. I had small intestine filling my ball sack every time I stood up.

I also use assistance bands. Something about hanging from my arms and putting no pressure on my feet, puts a ton of strain on my core. This gave me that annoying pinch feeling from my hernia telling me... Bro, ... no! With a band putting a little up pressure from under my knee going into my hips, takes the strain away and I have no pain. I started with a green, and now use a purple. 8 reps a set. I'll do 2-4 sets depending on how my lifts went that day. After doing pull ups for a while now, I can get a few out with no bands or pain. But I've got a decade more healing time than shade does.

Dude squats 435 lbs after a 3x5 of 345 lbs... Gets called Nancy boy by a Texan for using bands in in pull-ups. Typical GD.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I also had a hernia. Mine was a double and one was massive nasty one. I had small intestine filling my ball sack every time I stood up.

I also use assistance bands. Something about hanging from my arms and putting no pressure on my feet, puts a ton of strain on my core. This gave me that annoying pinch feeling from my hernia telling me... Bro, ... no! With a band putting a little up pressure from under my knee going into my hips, takes the strain away and I have no pain. I started with a green, and now use a purple. 8 reps a set. I'll do 2-4 sets depending on how my lifts went that day. After doing pull ups for a while now, I can get a few out with no bands or pain. But I've got a decade more healing time than shade does.

Dude squats 435 lbs after a 3x5 of 345 lbs... Gets called Nancy boy by a Texan for using bands in in pull-ups. Typical GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overhead press 130 5x5
Ran 6 miles.

Assisted pull-ups...

We got a nancy boy.

Go cry elsewhere.... If you can't detect my humor, I feel bad for you.

Lighten up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Assisted pull-ups...

We got a nancy boy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Overhead press 130 5x5

Ran 6 miles.

Assisted pull-ups...

We got a nancy boy.
Sure thing, slappy.  Sure thing.  Working my ass off to progressively take the assist weight off and get to unassisted, and doing damn fine at it, but I'm doing it wrong.

Get under a 400 pound bar and get bent.
ETA:  For the record, I detected the humor, and I gave shit back to you in a manly way.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sure thing, slappy.  Sure thing.  Working my ass off to progressively take the assist weight off and get to unassisted, and doing damn fine at it, but I'm doing it wrong.

ETA:  For the record, I detected the humor, and I gave shit back to you in a manly way.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overhead press 130 5x5
Ran 6 miles.

Assisted pull-ups...

We got a nancy boy.

FWIW we lift the same weight and have basically the same routine besides the running.

Fuck that noise... I'll take 20 mins of HIIT.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Still nothing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We ever get a pic of the OP to see how ripped he got doing nothing but what he claims?

Still nothing?

Still nothing of his shredded god-like physique
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We ever get a pic of the OP to see how ripped he got doing nothing but what he claims?

Still nothing?

I'm still waiting to see his results to determine if I should go his route, or lift.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
So, funny story.

Was thinking back on my time in the Marines, where every. single. day. was ridiculous amounts of running and body weight exercise. Unless a leader was a gymrat, no one went to the gym for PT, only people on their off time.

Net result... guys who just did PT were fit, had low bodyfat %, but were not "ripped".  The guys that went to the gym?  Ripped.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, funny story.

Was thinking back on my time in the Marines, where every. single. day. was ridiculous amounts of running and body weight exercise. Unless a leader was a gymrat, no one went to the gym for PT, only people on their off time.

Net result... guys who just did PT were fit, had low bodyfat %, but were not "ripped".  The guys that went to the gym?  Ripped.
View Quote

Which is better ?

Why ?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Which is better ?

Why ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, funny story.

Which is better ?

Why ?

Much like what old people sex tastes like, depends.  

I was what he just described, as were just about 95% of my infantry company.  Good shape, but not ripped by any stretch of the imagination.  Unless I just got out of the field after 3 weeks.  Then I was 6 pack abs, and hard looking.  It was such a nice thing to have the food stores on me to lose while out there.  Of course I would walk into my barracks room, order a large pizza, take a shower, once out of the shower the pizza would be there so I would eat that, get dressed and go out on town to get something g to eat.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I was what he just described, as were just about 95% of my infantry company.  Good shape, but not ripped by any stretch of the imagination.  Unless I just got out of the field after 3 weeks.  Then I was 6 pack abs, and hard looking.  It was such a nice thing to have the food stores on me to lose while out there.  Of course I would walk into my barracks room, order a large pizza, take a shower, once out of the shower the pizza would be there so I would eat that, get dressed and go out on town to get something g to eat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, funny story.

Which is better ?

Why ?

The domino's 555 deal was the greatest thing in life.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
lol
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Which is better ?

Why ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, funny story.

Which is better ?

Why ?

Big and strong beats strong from what I've seen.

Imagine you work were the "average" guy is fucking strong. The only way to be above average is to hit the gym.   Knowing what I know now I would have hit the gym more when I was in, and I HATE the gym.  

Faster, stronger, more resistant to injury (if not over training), tougher.

Shit, even just going to the beach, the girls are going to look at the guys who hit the gym, because EVERYONE is in shape, hitting the gym is the only way to really stand out.

It might not be a benefit to people outside the culture, but since everyone did the same PT everyday, everyone was more or less about the same level of fitness, so the guys that went to the gym had an advantage to "tap out or pass out" wrestling and other fighting.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

besides the running.

+1

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Imagine you work were the "average" guy is fucking strong. The only way to be above average is to hit the gym.   Knowing what I know now I would have hit the gym more when I was in, and I HATE the gym.  

Shit, even just going to the beach, the girls are going to look at the guys who hit the gym, because EVERYONE is in shape, hitting the gym is the only way to really stand out.

It might not be a benefit to people outside the culture, but since everyone did the same PT everyday, everyone was more or less about the same level of fitness, so the guys that went to the gym had an advantage to "tap out or pass out" wrestling and other fighting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, funny story.

Which is better ?

Why ?

One step further, I've done mountain warfare training 3 times, and some pretty decent hikes on the civilian side. I've done these both as a lighter runner, and as a heavier lifter. Lifter wins every single fucking time. More muscle on the shoulders makes packs more comfortable, stronger back prevents fatigue, strong legs gets you up the mountain.

Plus (just IMO) I look a lot better now with more muscle than I did thinner.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

One step further, I've done mountain warfare training 3 times, and some pretty decent hikes on the civilian side. I've done these both as a lighter runner, and as a heavier lifter. Lifter wins every single fucking time. More muscle on the shoulders makes packs more comfortable, stronger back prevents fatigue, strong legs gets you up the mountain.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, funny story.

Which is better ?

Why ?

Yea but you are a light weight so it does not count.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, I'm not huge but 5'9" and ~190# isn't exactly light either lol
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm still waiting to see his results to determine if I should go his route, or lift.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still nothing?

Well, what did you determine? I'm sure he IM'd you his ripped pics, right? Right?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I scale at 170 lbs and am 170 lbs... I'm ashamed.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, funny story.

Which is better ?

Why ?

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Misleading....

Pushups, pullups, etc is "lifting". You're just lifting yourself rather than external weights.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, funny story.

Which is better ?

Why ?

http://memecrunch.com/meme/RQE4/she-s-right-you-know/image.jpg

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#23]
alot of this has to do with genetics

most of you have shitty genes
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Misleading....

Pushups, pullups, etc is "lifting". You're just lifting yourself rather than external weights.
View Quote

Negatory. Those are calisthenics. Lifting is picking up free weights and setting them back down. Respect.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
I think I speak for many when I ask that you give a more detailed explanation.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Oh yeah?  And what do you know about fitness and going to the gym, Mr. tough guy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is anyone comparing body builders?  They're not necessarily strong or in shape.  Muscles without strength is like wearing a strap on.

How do you get muscles that aren't strong?

That part in bold...you might want to rethink that statement.  This video is just one demonstration of "strength" from a bodybuilder.  Check out some of the workout vids for Ronnie Coleman...STRONG AS FUCK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJjSP2fqFxk

Those comments generally come from those who know nothing about fitness and Have never been to a gym. I think of them like anti gunners who no nothing about guns.

To be fair to the football player in that video though he obviously had a lot more distance to move the weight and didn't have quite as much "supplements"in his body

Oh yeah?  And what do you know about fitness and going to the gym, Mr. tough guy?

Mr. tough guy? What are we in the 1950s, tough guy was replaced with bro long ago, Bro

And more than you apparently

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hmmm....

View Quote

Is this now an 85 Bears vs Vietnam SEALs thread?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm....

Maybe the ideal level of physical fitness is subjective ?

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm....

I agree. That's why these threads are silly. The guys who win the Crossfit games aren't going to win American Ninja Warrior. The inverse is also true. Army Rangers aren't going to win powerlifting competitions and power lifters aren't going to do well on a 20 mile hump.

To each his own,  YMMV, and all that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hmmm....

View Quote

What's the comparison for? One group is trained for football, the other to kill. Two completely different areas of expertise. FB players would smoke check the SEALs's asses on the grass and the SEALs would smoke check their asses on the battlefield. Being a SEAL doesn't make someone a superhuman
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What's the comparison for? One group is trained for football, the other to kill. Two completely different areas of expertise. FB players would smoke check the SEALs's asses on the grass and the SEALs would smoke check their asses on the battlefield. Being a SEAL doesn't make someone a superhuman
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm....

Don't 'roid-rage' on me bro...

Keeping it simple, here is the simple question again:

BTW, Just curious, but.... Are you thinking you're gonna make it to 'superhuman' status or something ?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

BTW, Just curious, but.... Are you thinking you're gonna make it to 'superhuman' status or something ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm....

It is subjective because everyone's goals are different.

I didn't see that question but there's the answer.

Since I'm not playing SEAL I'll answer your second question as: no?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm....

I am not seeing SEALS doing what it takes to significantly over-develop their muscles like the monster muscle-head's I see at the gym.
Why did you make the statement which I italicized?

Are you one of the gym rats who strive for 'bigger.  Bigger.  BIGGER' ? And eat thousands and thousands of calories each day, along with adding more, and More, and MORE weights in order to achieve that status ?

Edited to clean up stuff.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I am not seeing SEALS doing what it takes to significantly over-develop their muscles like the monster muscle-head's I see at the gym.

Are you one of the gym rats who strive for 'bigger.  Bigger.  BIGGER' ? And eat thousands and thousands of calories each day, along with adding more, and More, and MORE weights in order to achieve that status ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm....

Why the hate? You don't have to be huge to be strong either you know. You don't have to be an "overdeveloped musclehead" to get strong as hell, and still be quick and athletic.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I agree. That's why these threads are silly. The guys who win the Crossfit games aren't going to win American Ninja Warrior. The inverse is also true. Army Rangers aren't going to win powerlifting competitions and power lifters aren't going to do well on a 20 mile hump.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm....

I dont know about that first part there, my guess is that crossfit games athletes are much closer to ANW types than any of the other pairs you listed there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't hate.

I have seen (both here and at the gym) the monster muscle heads be very quick to ridicule those who aren't interested in getting bigger, Bigger, BIGGER.

No, not EVERY monster muscle head demonstrates this type of 'roid rage', but the majority I have seen sure do.

The link in my earlier post shows SEAL sized men to be able to have enough strength to hump - for extended distances - what they need to complete missions.

And it demonstrates that monster muscle sized men aren't making the cut.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't hate.

I have seen (both here and at the gym) the monster muscle heads be very quick to ridicule those who aren't interested in getting bigger, Bigger, BIGGER.

No, not EVERY monster muscle head demonstrates this type of 'roid rage', but the majority I have seen sure do.

The link in my earlier post shows SEAL sized men to be able to have enough strength to hump - for extended distances - what they need to complete missions.

View Quote

You're lumping everyone in together though. Not everyone is interested in getting bigger bigger bigger. There's a lot just looking to get stronger and the training reflects that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You're lumping everyone in together though. Not everyone is interested in getting bigger bigger bigger. There's a lot just looking to get stronger and the training reflects that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't hate.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I don't hate.

View Quote
Roid rage really isnt a thing anymore unless you are an idiot.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#44]
nvrmd.  I think I read a post incorrectly.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Thanks for proving my point.

You aren't interested in helping people.  You're in it for the cut down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't hate.

WTF are you talking about?

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't hate.

I edited my post, because I mis-read yours.

But, re-read your posts throughout this thread.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am extremely helpful when people don't run around spewing bullshit.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your chosen method of correcting them seems to be filled with vile.

I have seen this behavior quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awww your delicate feels I'm sorry. Ill try coddling people who refuse to learn just for you.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I dont know about that first part there, my guess is that crossfit games athletes are much closer to ANW types than any of the other pairs you listed there.
View Quote

I don't really think that they are.  The girls in Crossfit weigh what the top Ninja Warriors weigh.  Both groups are elite, but in totally different ways. One group has mastered heavy weights and one group has mastered Bodyweight. Both groups are "ripped."

Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top