Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
My arms and legs toned up just by walking, water and dieting. Took about 3 years but works. I do have some extra skin on belly, no fat. Looks like I'll need to start situps/crunches.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not a dietitian, but I also made the decision to lift. I started stronglifts earlier in the month. This makes me eat differently to try and see good progress. And I've lost 35 lbs last year just cleaning my diet up. You'll need to take my current diet with a grain of salt because I'm also new, and am only lifting in the lighter weights right now.

My got to for protein is firstly meat. Mostly chicken as it's cheap. Chicken is $2 per lbs, where beef is $8+. I'll eat chicken at lunch or dinner. Then eggs is the next good source of protein. Breakfast either over easy or scrambled. Then boiled for later in the day. Plain almonds for afternoon snack (no salt or sugar coating). Mozzarella cheese sticks for snack as well. Fat free Greek yogurt with fruit before bed. Lastly, a protein shake. I'll have this between breakfast and lunch. The Matrix 2.0 Chocolate (that was suggested by the good fellows of the Self Defense and Fittness Forum) is really good. I'll put a half a cup of whole milk, eight cups of cold coffee, and a scoop of protein powder. It taste like a frap-a-mocha-chino-latte from EightBucks. Eating this type of food with a lot of fruit and a little veggies usually gets me up to 160g of protein a day and 2,500 calories. I'm told this is a minimum calorie and protein intake. So you might need more or less as YMMV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heavy on protein? What are the best sources for protein as I am thinking of starting to lift again and reading the hell out of this thread

Meat.  

I eat a lot of meat but was thinking of something extra but meat it shall be

I'm not a dietitian, but I also made the decision to lift. I started stronglifts earlier in the month. This makes me eat differently to try and see good progress. And I've lost 35 lbs last year just cleaning my diet up. You'll need to take my current diet with a grain of salt because I'm also new, and am only lifting in the lighter weights right now.

My got to for protein is firstly meat. Mostly chicken as it's cheap. Chicken is $2 per lbs, where beef is $8+. I'll eat chicken at lunch or dinner. Then eggs is the next good source of protein. Breakfast either over easy or scrambled. Then boiled for later in the day. Plain almonds for afternoon snack (no salt or sugar coating). Mozzarella cheese sticks for snack as well. Fat free Greek yogurt with fruit before bed. Lastly, a protein shake. I'll have this between breakfast and lunch. The Matrix 2.0 Chocolate (that was suggested by the good fellows of the Self Defense and Fittness Forum) is really good. I'll put a half a cup of whole milk, eight cups of cold coffee, and a scoop of protein powder. It taste like a frap-a-mocha-chino-latte from EightBucks. Eating this type of food with a lot of fruit and a little veggies usually gets me up to 160g of protein a day and 2,500 calories. I'm told this is a minimum calorie and protein intake. So you might need more or less as YMMV.

Thank you sir, I went from 206 in Feb down to 185 on July 22nd when I went back to the Dr. I only eat once, maybe twice a day and I have to force myself to eat three times a day but it's getting easier

My problem is I am going to start working out again but I have had 5 hip surgeries on my left him and 3 of the surgeries were total hip replacements.

I felt like a guinea pig but it is what it is. I have to start slow on that hip and can't figure anything special to start with so I figure start light.

My last hip surgery the Dr told me I have so much scar tissue and a weak leg muscle from being cut so much in the same place that he said after my recovery he thinks steroids would work for me to build the leg muscle back up but my last visit i left and never brought it up

Thanks for the diet info

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My arms and legs toned up just by walking, water and dieting. Took about 3 years but works. I do have some extra skin on belly, no fat. Looks like I'll need to start situps/crunches.
View Quote

Spot reduction?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Spot reduction?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Spot reduction?
isn't a real thing. The extra skin will tighten up over time unless you have a full on flying squirrel.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you mean by ripped?  12% body fat?  Sure, yeah, absolutely.  That's diet and cardio.

Or do you mean get big?

Because you get big by eating shitloads of protein and doing max effort compound lifts.

And the only way to get both is to do one and then the other.

Heavy on protein? What are the best sources for protein as I am thinking of starting to lift again and reading the hell out of this thread

Meat.  

Sounds pretty good. I do a half cup of oats with 2 scoops of beef protein and a scoop of peanut butter powder for breakfast, then a whole carton of egg beaters with 6 slices of turkey bacon 3 hrs later, Handful of almonds and a double scoop of beef protein with a scoop of PB powder for a snack, then a fist sized portion of meat with a fist sized portion of broccoli, then a protein shake, then a fist sized portion of meat and broccoli again with some quinoa, then 12-15 egg whites before bed.

it's like work all on its own.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dude, good work.  How long did it take you to lose that weight and what diet changes did you make?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
38 years old, no exercise eating crap.

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/coax31/Mobile%20Uploads/before_zps3a5e311e.png

42 years old, regular push-ups sit-ups and running the treadmill everyday M-F. I dropped 50-60 lbs you don't need weights.

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo244/coax31/Mobile%20Uploads/20150614_114718_zpse8776471.jpg

Dude, good work.  How long did it take you to lose that weight and what diet changes did you make?

Thanks for the complement, it took about a year. I pretty much cut back on all meal proportions and little to no sugared soda, fast food, donuts, candy etc.. Drink a crap load of water and eat more fruit and vegetables. Actually when I lost the weight my appetite decreased.    
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you mean by ripped?  12% body fat?  Sure, yeah, absolutely.  That's diet and cardio.

Or do you mean get big?

Because you get big by eating shitloads of protein and doing max effort compound lifts.

And the only way to get both is to do one and then the other.

Meat.  

I usually average around 175-180g of protein per day. Greek yoghurt, sardines, and beef jerky are all high protein foods that are not really bulky. 2 scoops of Impact protein powder in 8oz of Greek yoghurt is about 60g of protein.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
"get stronger"  I hear/read that a lot.  How much stronger?  Continuously stronger and stronger...like forever?  

Now in my late 40s, body weight moves are very appealing.  Add in some dumb bells for flies or presses and such are great additions.

But if you only did a mess of push ups, pull ups, squats and crunches and some running you would be stronger/"fit-er" than the vast majority of the world.  

And you may plateau, but if you are functional, strong and feel good, whats wrong with plateau at that level?  Seems like plateau is a bad word.  No!  I want to be stronger...and stronger...and stronger...oops...my rotator is damaged...

But I am only an expert in being me so....
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"get stronger"  I hear/read that a lot.  How much stronger?  Continuously stronger and stronger...like forever?  

Now in my late 40s, body weight moves are very appealing.  Add in some dumb bells for flies or presses and such are great additions.

But if you only did a mess of push ups, pull ups, squats and crunches and some running you would be stronger/"fit-er" than the vast majority of the world.  

And you may plateau, but if you are functional, strong and feel good, whats wrong with plateau at that level?  Seems like plateau is a bad word.  No!  I want to be stronger...and stronger...and stronger...oops...my rotator is damaged...

View Quote

I don't think other people are mad that you're reaching your goal. Why are you mad that others' goals are different from yours?

Try the word "maintain" instead of "plateau" and see if that helps with any misunderstandings.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you sir, I went from 206 in Feb down to 185 on July 22nd when I went back to the Dr. I only eat once, maybe twice a day and I have to force myself to eat three times a day but it's getting easier

My problem is I am going to start working out again but I have had 5 hip surgeries on my left him and 3 of the surgeries were total hip replacements.

I felt like a guinea pig but it is what it is. I have to start slow on that hip and can't figure anything special to start with so I figure start light.

My last hip surgery the Dr told me I have so much scar tissue and a weak leg muscle from being cut so much in the same place that he said after my recovery he thinks steroids would work for me to build the leg muscle back up but my last visit i left and never brought it up

Thanks for the diet info

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meat.  

Thanks for the diet info

You have hips replaced? You need to be talking to your doctor, and a professional sports therapist that specializes in hip replacements about your diet, and recovery. NOT to a bunch of dip shits on the interweb... [/drops microphone].
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#12]

I tried Jack3d for a workout once, didn't really like it, but I DID end up using it right before PT tests.    Maybe it was psychological, maybe it really did help me crank out a few extra reps, who knows?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#13]
number one thing you can do is stop drinking sodas, sugary drinks and really sweet coffee and replace it with water!

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

F O R E V E R

.. or until my heart explodes.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I tried Jack3d for a workout once, didn't really like it, but I DID end up using it right before PT tests.    Maybe it was psychological, maybe it really did help me crank out a few extra reps, who knows?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

the old jack3d has the equivalent to amphetamines in it.    I don't think it was in your head

1,3-Dimethylamylamine
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Original Jack3d, or the neutered Jack3d?

The original was fucking incredible.

You can get the "original" formula right now, if you look around, or so I've heard.

However, accidentally inhaling some of your PWO is not advised, and will take you on an interesting adventure.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#17]
i think the really old jack3d did have amphetamines in it! thats why it was banned from the NCAA
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This.  Egg is great protein and easily digestible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And eggs.  Lots of eggs.

But they taste so nasty.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i think the really old jack3d did have amphetamines in it! thats why it was banned from the NCAA
View Quote

No, it was a molecule off of amphetamines. Which was close enough to pop a dirty test.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You can get the "original" formula right now, if you look around, or so I've heard.

However, accidentally inhaling some of your PWO is not advised, and will take you on an interesting adventure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Original.  I still have a small amount left.  Didn't need it anymore after retirement.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
But they taste so nasty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And eggs.  Lots of eggs.

But they taste so nasty.
I have to switch up how I make and eat eggs every so often.  Presently, it's quiche.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have to switch up how I make and eat eggs every so often.  Presently, it's quiche.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And eggs.  Lots of eggs.

But they taste so nasty.

I drink mine, usually.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh come on, there's a million ways to cook them.

If you fry them in bacon grease, that significantly improves the flavor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And eggs.  Lots of eggs.

But they taste so nasty.

Every Sunday my poor wife spends over an hour cooking bacon and then frying eggs in the bacon grease.  Several days of calories in one meal.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You might be lean but you will still be weak.
View Quote

Herschel Walker disagrees
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#27]
What about abs?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What about abs?

View Quote

Strength comes from training. Abs come from the kitchen.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What about abs?

Yep, abs are there, you just might have to uncover them.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about abs?

And for that, you have to prancercise. There's not really any other way.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

the old jack3d has the equivalent to amphetamines in it.    I don't think it was in your head

1,3-Dimethylamylamine
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1,3-Dimethylamylamine

Also gave real bad erectile dysfunction
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1,3-Dimethylamylamine

Yep. Came home from the gym for post-workout cardio after trying jack3d for the first time. I was not impressed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't think other people are mad that you're reaching your goal. Why are you mad that others' goals are different from yours?

Try the word "maintain" instead of "plateau" and see if that helps with any misunderstandings.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread and others show the exact opposite of this statement. Anytime someone is happy doing less then the powerlifting "Bro's" on the site they are bro attacked.

" if you don't lift weights you're weak bro"
" 200lbs your scrawny bro"
" 250lbs, I'd have to not eat for a month to be that tiny bra"
"Bodybuilders are week bro, gotta hit one rep maxes bra, otherwise you got aids bro"

I do find these threads amusing though

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

This thread and others show the exact opposite of this statement. Anytime someone is happy doing less then the powerlifting "Bro's" on the site they are bro attacked.

"Bodybuilders are week bro, gotta hit one rep maxes bra, otherwise you got aids bro"

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

Really? Do tell more how you've come to form that opinion in all the the "threads like this" you've participated in. Would you say it's been more or less than say, 20?  What do you think a good representative sample would be?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Really? Do tell more how you've come to form that opinion in all the the "threads like this" you've participated in. Would you say it's been more or less than say, 20?  What do you think a good representative sample would be?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Have you read this thread, it literally has every response I just posted.

Why you mad bro?

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why you mad bro?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Why you mad bro?

I love you like a cat
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "happy doing less" people are getting negative responses when they put down others or claim to be more than "happy".

Pencil neck geek:  "I'm very happy where I am and with what I do"
Meathead: "Rock on Geek"

PNG: "You don't need to lift to be ripped like me"
MH: "Pics?"

If y'all didn't start shit...

TLDR: My meatheads didn't do nothin'

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Why you mad bro?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Why you mad bro?

Cool sample size of one bro, get logically stronger.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck it just pop a Dbol tablet before working out......You will be pumped then.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Why you mad bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Why you mad bro?
Because you're a retread.  Bro.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#41]
This thread is still fucking going?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

This thread is into marathons. It's going to be huge!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not if it keeps running it wont be
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And eggs.  Lots of eggs.

But they taste so nasty.

I'll eat them fried. With half a loaf of toast.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not if you make them right!  They taste like sunshine!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And eggs.  Lots of eggs.

But they taste so nasty.

Not if you make them right!  They taste like sunshine!

Oh, like french toast? I love french toast.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Tomorrow, I'll be back in the gym, lifting.

I'll be squatting 340 5x5, with an extra credit set of 435 after that.

Then I'll be overhead pressing, 130 5x5.

Followed by deadlifts at 345 3x5, and 365 extra set after.

Then some assisted pullups and dips.

Then I'll go for a six mile run.

Next month, I do seven miles for my run.  All while still lifting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top