Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw this posted on LinkedIn today and thought it might be worth mentioning here. No idea how well it works, but I don't see too many potential downsides with it. It's worth a look if you'd be ok with metal.

Standing Seam Metal Over Shingles

Eta: We have a loose business acquaintance with these guys, though I've never dealt with them personally; but they aren't some random "fly by night" crew that popped up.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw this posted on LinkedIn today and thought it might be worth mentioning here. No idea how well it works, but I don't see too many potential downsides with it.

View Quote

I'm quite certain the hoa would burn down my home if I did that.

What kind of warranty should I expect with a new roof?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw this posted on LinkedIn today and thought it might be worth mentioning here. No idea how well it works, but I don't see too many potential downsides with it.

Lol. Didn't know you were in an HOA. They would most certainly lynch you for switching to metal.

New architectural shingles, expect a two year installer's warranty and 30-35 year material manufacturer's warranty (depending on grade of shingles). The material warranty will likely be in the brochure and on the packaging.

Also, I deal with commercial roofing and not so much with residential construction. Commercial roofing material warranties are usually only honored if installed by a manufacturer-approved, qualified contractor. It's probably not as stringent to get shingle warranty coverage on a residential home, but it's definitely worth a glance at the manufacturer's website first.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For those that had a metal roof installed, is it louder in the house when it rains?  Did you get the extra insulation under the metal?
I'm looking at having my 29 year old roof redone.  No leaks yet, but I'm on borrowed time.
View Quote

ours was installed over the shingles.
It's quieter in here during hail storms than before, and I just noticed today that it's much cooler up there than I remember ( it was about 98 degrees here). I don't know if it's the metal roof's reflectivity or the upgraded ventilators we had installed with the metal roof.
There is a layer rolled out over the shingles before the metal went on.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wait for a hail storm and call your insurance
View Quote

thats what i did..

OP,
They strip the old shingles and replace any rotten wood. they then lay new shingles and any vents that need replacing.. I did it two years ago on a 1100 square foot ranch with a very flat roof and it cost around 5500 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

thats what i did..

OP,
They strip the old shingles and replace any rotten wood. they then lay new shingles and any vents that need replacing.. I did it two years ago on a 1100 square foot ranch with a very flat roof and it cost around 5500 bucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats what i did..

OP,

Thanks man.  I almost want to be up there with them to say that wood is fucked up; fix it. I don't want them covering up problems.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks man.  I almost want to be up there with them to say that wood is fucked up; fix it. I don't want them covering up problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats what i did..

OP,

You can get a Velocity harness, a shock lanyard, a 50' rope, a "rope grabber", and a nail-in safety anchor from any ABC Supply or White Cap store in your area for $300-350. Those are my recommendation. Otherwise, buy a "safety bucket" from Home Depot for about $125. If you're tied-off then they shouldn't have any problem with you climbing on the roof.

Speaking from experience though... try to be an active part of the process, but not overbearing. The contractor probably does actually know better than you and I can guarantee that you do not want to make the contractor think that you're an impedent to his project.

And i forgot to mention.. Look up a video on fall safety harnesses and make sure yours is fitted properly before you get on the roof with it. 'Proper fit' can be deceiving, but you'll definitely notice the bad fitment if you end up needing it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]
900sqft on house 2 car garage and shed  with porch, 30 year shingle, new ice ridge and plastic ridge vent with shingle 7760
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lol.

Eta: 50 year shingles? I think they call those "slate".    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't tell anyone, but I work for one of the largest roofing manufacturers in the world. When a tornado told my shingle roof to fuck off, I replaced with metal. Everyone needs 50 year architectural shingles at a minimum. Get a warranty too.

Lol.

GAF calls 'em "lifetime".

lol.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#10]
They should be replaced every 10 years.

Just like what so many Goofs here say abt water heaters.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I just had my roof replaced.  As in they laid the last shingle today. I have a modest house, 1800sgft rancher. My roof was $3700 which included removing a chimney.  I got 30yr shingles.  They said I could expect 20 years out of them considering the trees. I'm 41, nod it is not likely I will live in this house the rest of my life.  I feel good about it.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You can get a Velocity harness, a shock lanyard, a 50' rope, a "rope grabber", and a nail-in safety anchor from any ABC Supply or White Cap store in your area for $300-350. Those are my recommendation. Otherwise, buy a "safety bucket" from Home Depot for about $125. If you're tied-off then they shouldn't have any problem with you climbing on the roof.

Speaking from experience though... try to be an active part of the process, but not overbearing. The contractor probably does actually know better than you and I can guarantee that you do not want to make the contractor think that you're an impedent to his project.

And i forgot to mention.. Look up a video on fall safety harnesses and make sure yours is fitted properly before you get on the roof with it. 'Proper fit' can be deceiving, but you'll definitely notice the bad fitment if you end up needing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats what i did..

OP,

I know my limits.  That's why Im paying somebody else to do it. There is a line on diy and this is way over mine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't tell anyone, but I work for one of the largest roofing manufacturers in the world. When a tornado told my shingle roof to fuck off, I replaced with metal. Everyone needs 50 year architectural shingles at a minimum. Get a warranty too.

Lol.

lol.

When I first saw them coming off the line at the plant. I said WTF are those? I was told 50yr shingles. He said they have copper in them. I laughed my ass off and wanted to meet the first guy who bought that wonderful product.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#14]
16 years is not a long time for a roof. State Farm (shitty insurance) told me there were a few years were shingles were made differently at about that time and didn't last as long as they should have - again probably BS because they didn't want to pay on my hail damage claim.
Do you have adequate roof venting? If not, that will shorten a roofs life span.
Don't patch, all you'll do is chase the water to another spot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
16 years is not a long time for a roof. State Farm (shitty insurance) told me there were a few years were shingles were made differently at about that time and didn't last as long as they should have - again probably BS because they didn't want to pay on my hail damage claim.
View Quote

Not BS as they were made by Certainteed and I had them on a house I bought.  They lasted 9 years on a 30 year shingle and I was paid a good chunk of money by them when I replaced them as part of a class action lawsuit.

http://www.certainteedshinglesettlement.com/identifyshingles.cfm
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had steel roofing installed on top of the existing shingles.  $6500 about 7 years ago.
View Quote

Dad and I did the same with mine.   $800 in materials.  I'm never doing a shingle roof again.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Organic shingles... Made with the finest recycled paper as a base material.  They literally fall apart.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

When I first saw them coming off the line at the plant. I said WTF are those? I was told 50yr shingles. He said they have copper in them. I laughed my ass off and wanted to meet the first guy who bought that wonderful product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

lol.

I used to work a contract at the HQ, they were always shooing me out of the testing lab.  Those guys have some fun.  

They're what we went with a couple years back when it was roof time though.  I expect 'em to wear like 30 year shingles, anything more is pure profit.  They sure look nice and the install was well done.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top