Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 44
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can focus on one line but yea, the front license plate law in ohio is bullshit, campus police have no business being in that area off campus, I think the whole thing could have been handled differently, and don't think the video to me looks like a good shoot.
View Quote

Was the stop lawful or not?

Was the cop in his jurisdiction or not?

How was "the whole thing" mishandled before the motorist began to flee?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Thought the same thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was the "father of 13" a member the Bloods gang? The clothing suggests that to me.

Thought the same thing.

Not much, if any, of a Bloods presence in Cincy. He's more likely a reds fan, or just a typical hood rat with weird clothing tastes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

With that many arrests, is it possible the officers knew who he was when they made the stop?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cop had no background on the guy before the stop. Car came back to a female so there should have been no context other than a missing front plate and a guy failing to produce a license. The whole alcohol thing was what it was but the container did not appear to be open.    

I'm not defending anything other than talking about my observations

ETA: this is why I'll never be a cop.

With that many arrests, is it possible the officers knew who he was when they made the stop?
Probably CPD but not campus police.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I take it you believe that a man has an absolute right to run unless a judge and jury say he can't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good headshot, fuck those who say different. The officer clearly took out the trash that day, and the rest of the planet is better off. While front plate violations are a bullshit stop, you don't get to pull off while the officer is conducting his stop. He would be alive today if he wasn't a stupid fucker who tried to run, probably due to having an active warrant.

That's right; running is grounds for getting executed.  Officers' prerogative.  No judge, jury, or court needed.  

It's time citizens learned their place.

I take it you believe that a man has an absolute right to run unless a judge and jury say he can't.

I take it you believe that you can shoot somebody if they run from you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It is an element of the policeman's trade to distinguish between people who probably just don't have a front license plate and people who don't have a front license plate and are probably industrial-grade shitbags, and to invest time in the latter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cop had no background on the guy before the stop. Car came back to a female so there should have been no context other than a missing front plate and a guy failing to produce a license. The whole alcohol thing was what it was but the container did not appear to be open.    

I'm not defending anything other than talking about my observations

ETA: this is why I'll never be a cop.

It is an element of the policeman's trade to distinguish between people who probably just don't have a front license plate and people who don't have a front license plate and are probably industrial-grade shitbags, and to invest time in the latter.

Small shit leads to big shit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I guess where I am hung up is if I'm fixing to pull the guy out of the car I wouldn't be sticking my gun that far into the car. Your at a massive leverage disadvantage and your introducing the possibility of your gun going in the car while your being dragged.

You can let the car go, get in your car and pursue.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Devils advocate here what if:

The cop called in the guy's name, saw he had a license (or didn't then things go differently), issued him a ticket for failure to produce, and called it a day? I thought the cop was being a bit dickish asking the same question multiple times when he knew the answer was going to be "I don't have my license" and I think the driver was being a bit dickish. In the end the two dicks collided and one person is dead. Cop should stand trial and when he is found not guilty of murder the city will burn.

Hey Patty, looks like your LEO. What is the protocol in a car stop if a suspect reaches for the ignition? Is it instructed to open the car door or reach/lean inside the car?  Truly curious. No law enforcement experience.

According to Prosecutor Joe Deters the officer should of just let him drive away at that point. (Not being an ass, he really said that)
I guess where I am hung up is if I'm fixing to pull the guy out of the car I wouldn't be sticking my gun that far into the car. Your at a massive leverage disadvantage and your introducing the possibility of your gun going in the car while your being dragged.

You can let the car go, get in your car and pursue.

Reaching in cars is dangerous.  I think the cop was reaching to turn off the ignition, still dangerous, but I've done that myself before.  The deceased went from appearing to be relatively cooperative, to evasive in answering questions about his license, to pulling the door shut when the officer opened it and told him to step out of the vehicle when he could not present ID.  That series of actions is a clue if you have done a cops job.   This is one of those fucked up situations.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good headshot, fuck those who say different. The officer clearly took out the trash that day, and the rest of the planet is better off. While front plate violations are a bullshit stop, you don't get to pull off while the officer is conducting his stop. He would be alive today if he wasn't a stupid fucker who tried to run, probably due to having an active warrant.

That's right; running is grounds for getting executed.  Officers' prerogative.  No judge, jury, or court needed.  

I do believe that there are circumstances under which it is lawful for a policeman to shoot someone who is running from him.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Eh that doesn't look too good.  

Interested to see how it plays out in court.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets say he didn't get shot and ran over some kids while trying to escape..... Yes, I know that officers can't predict the future and they shouldn't base the majority of decisions on what might happen. However, I support removing pos individuals from this earth as quickly as possible. Letting career criminals get away is stupid and so is paying for their asses to sit in jail. If this guy was 17 and had no prior arrest or maybe just a misdemeanor, id think differently. Too many good people die every day. I dont give a damn about some asshole that thinks he's above the law. I hear the local hip hop station talking about this guy as if he never did no wrong. He might not have deserved to get shot at this very moment in time but after all those arrest, I'm sure he earned it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found a copy of the indictment here

Murder - 2903.02 (A)
Voluntary Manslaughter - 2903.03 (A)

Both First Degree Felonies.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz190/meansartin/Mobile%20Uploads/CLGaq0cUMAA8D85_zpse6f1yyae.jpg

That's it?

A case I've been following, they like them short nowdays I guess. link
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I do believe that there are circumstances under which it is lawful for a policeman or woman to shoot someone who is running from him.
View Quote

fify
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Cop here.

That did not appear to be a good shoot.

Not sure if there is enough evidence for a murder CONVICTION but that was a pretty quick draw and fire.

Video could be misleading, it certainly isn't the best angle with how close it is. We'll see.

I certainly think the murder charge could be correct.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#14]
So glad BMCs clear everything up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Found a copy of the indictment here

Murder - 2903.02 (A)
Voluntary Manslaughter - 2903.03 (A)

Both First Degree Felonies.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz190/meansartin/Mobile%20Uploads/CLGaq0cUMAA8D85_zpse6f1yyae.jpg

That's it?

There's another page, but yeah. Indictments aren't that long or big here.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#16]
No front plates on 2 of my 3 Ohio vehicles.

I'm not worried about being pulled over and getting shot.  It might be my white privilege, though....
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Defense attorneys will have a field day with this "case".

View Quote

Every potential juror within 87 miles of Cincy will have seen that video by this weekend, and likely an edited for TV version.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I do believe that there are circumstances under which it is lawful for a policeman to shoot someone who is running from him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Supreme Court agrees with you and has even defined those circumstances.

I think it should be very easy for a good attorney to use those defined circumstances to introduce enough reasonable doubt to clear the officer in this case.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This trial will be based more off of feels than facts. Hope he doesn't get a crappy jury.
View Quote

Fuck that. Bench trial all the way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Guy is hemming and hawing about giving him his license. Saying "I don't have it on me/I don't have it".

Hands officer a bottle of gin (appears to be full of something, maybe not gin) that was in driver floorboard.

Says "I'm just trying to go home" "I live right down there" (or similar)

Officer says "I still need to figure out who you are". Says "Go ahead and take your seatbelt off" and begins to open guys car door.

Driver reaches over and pulls door back shut, holds it shut, while cranking ignition.

Officer says "No, Stop" a couple times as he's reaching in window grabbing at driver.

Some type of struggle, another "stop" or two, some noise, and a gunshot followed by cop rolling around on ground

When he gets up, it appears he is a few car lengths up the street.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not able to watch the video, fill me in please.

Did the officer open the car door? What point during the stop? Did it look like he had cause to do it?

Guy is hemming and hawing about giving him his license. Saying "I don't have it on me/I don't have it".

Hands officer a bottle of gin (appears to be full of something, maybe not gin) that was in driver floorboard.

Says "I'm just trying to go home" "I live right down there" (or similar)

Officer says "I still need to figure out who you are". Says "Go ahead and take your seatbelt off" and begins to open guys car door.

Driver reaches over and pulls door back shut, holds it shut, while cranking ignition.

Officer says "No, Stop" a couple times as he's reaching in window grabbing at driver.

Some type of struggle, another "stop" or two, some noise, and a gunshot followed by cop rolling around on ground

When he gets up, it appears he is a few car lengths up the street.

Just watched it.

Wow.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he's firing a gun at you while running away, yes. Shooting him for disobeying your orders or disrespecting your authority, no.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm betting he torched that round off accidently, sympathetic reflex.  He was grabbing inside the vehicle at the time, and at one point it looks like his grip on the gun is way low.   Thinking he either grabbed at the interior and right hand also grabbed, or he adjusted the grip and it went off.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Just want to say that when I first read the topic heading I thought the officer shot a 13 yr old who had kids.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Despite the poor tactics the officer used I don't see this as 1st degree murder (or whatever Ohio calls it).

At the time the shot was fired was the officer reasonably in fear of Death/SBI from potentially being dragged?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Despite the poor tactics the officer used I don't see this as 1st degree murder (or whatever Ohio calls it).

At the time the shot was fired was the officer reasonably in fear of Death/SBI from potentially being dragged?

He's not up on First Degree Murder.

Ohio has the following statues covering "murder":
2903.01 - Aggravated Murder
(A) No person shall purposely, and with prior calculation and design, cause the death of another or the unlawful termination of another's pregnancy.

(B) No person shall purposely cause the death of another or the unlawful termination of another's pregnancy while committing or attempting to commit, or while fleeing immediately after committing or attempting to commit, kidnapping, rape, aggravated arson, arson, aggravated robbery, robbery, aggravated burglary, burglary, trespass in a habitation when a person is present or likely to be present, terrorism, or escape.

(C) No person shall purposely cause the death of another who is under thirteen years of age at the time of the commission of the offense.

(D) No person who is under detention as a result of having been found guilty of or having pleaded guilty to a felony or who breaks that detention shall purposely cause the death of another.

(E) No person shall purposely cause the death of a law enforcement officer whom the offender knows or has reasonable cause to know is a law enforcement officer when either of the following applies:
(1) The victim, at the time of the commission of the offense, is engaged in the victim's duties.

(2) It is the offender's specific purpose to kill a law enforcement officer

(F) Whoever violates this section is guilty of aggravated murder, and shall be punished as provided in section 2929.02 of the Revised Code.

2903.02 - Murder
(A) No person shall purposely cause the death of another or the unlawful termination of another's pregnancy.

(B) No person shall cause the death of another as a proximate result of the offender's committing or attempting to commit an offense of violence that is a felony of the first or second degree and that is not a violation of section 2903.03 or 2903.04 of the Revised Code

He only was charged with murder, not Agg Murder.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm betting he torched that round off accidnetly, sympathetic reflex.  He was grabbing inside the vehicle at the time, and at one point it looks like his grip on the gun is way low.   Thinking he either grabbed at the interior and right hand also grabbed, or he adjusted the grip and it went off.  

View Quote

I wish everyone else could use those awesome excuses like that.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I used to live within walking distance of where it occurred, and am a UC graduate and current student so I am quite familiar with the area  There is no reason for campus police to be that far off campus, and almost all students living off campus to the south are on streets further west. There are also a lot better things for police in the area to be dealing with in the first place besides front license plates.   A few years ago I got pulled over by UCPD (on probasco, which never even enters into campus) for my jeep's 100% legal window tint "being too dark," and had my vehicle searched and let go.  I actually asked the officer if he was even in his jurisdiction and he kind of laughed as he replied that he was.  I do agree with Joe Deters that it was a "chicken shit stop" and think the reciprocity agreement UCPD has with CPD needs to be reviewed.  

I'm not a cop, but if i was I don't think I would be reaching into a car like that out of self preservation, but I guess shooting them works in that aspect too.  

I have watched the video a bunch of times now and I am just not seeing where "he was dragged way down the street," and I am certainly not seeing his arm stuck in the steering wheel which is what he reported.  To me looks like he may have stepped along with the car a couple times, just as long as it took to get his gun out.    I wish there was dashcam, and would like to see the other officer's bodycam as well if it was on.  From what I understand that officer will likely be facing charges as well over his report.

I normally side with the cops on these things, but in this one I don't think that shooting him in the head was justified.  Since I actually have to go to this area, I really won't mind if the the cop gets convicted as long as the city doesn't burn.  Anyone that lived here in 2001 remembers how bad it was and how much progress has happened in this city since then.  One thing that is for certain is the collaborative agreement that happened because of the 2001 riots is going to get a test now.

Also, I've never used front license plates in Ohio, some of my cars don't even have a bracket for them, and I see many other Ohio motorists without them.  I hope maybe this somehow causes the bill to get rid of FLP requirement to get passed, especially since most other states have already done so including our neighboring KY and IA.   I've been pulled over for them a few times, but never cited.  The front license plate thing is just a random way to pull someone over to give them a sobreity test or search their car, which is what I suspect was the case here.
View Quote

And that is why you should never be a juror.  

We are a nation of laws.  When jurors decide cases on emotion and factors like you identified in the highlighted quote above instead of the applicable law, the system fails.  Unfortunately, I believe someone like you would never admit those feelings were you to find yourself as a potential juror and asked a direct question on that subject during the voir dire process.

When the mob rules instead of the rule of law, we all lose.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit.  Somebody earlier was wishing the Officer had a dash cam, because surely that would have answered all the questions
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When the mob rules instead of the rule of law, we all lose.

View Quote

That is exactly what this is.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No shit.  Somebody earlier was wishing the Officer had a dash cam, because surely that would have answered all the questions
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fox showed a brief clip of his partner's body cam. It showed the officer on the ground.

They reported his attorney stated the other camera supports the officer's claims. (Not that it means much, as his attorney is going to say that.)
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Cop here.

Not sure if there is enough evidence for a murder CONVICTION but that was a pretty quick draw and fire.

Video could be misleading, it certainly isn't the best angle with how close it is. We'll see.

View Quote
You can't tell by the vid.

It might be a good shoot or a not good shoot.

It by no means was a fucking execution.  Criminal was doing criminal shit and began moving 2000lb object in an agressive manner right next to an officer on foot.  In some cases that is a valid deadly force situation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Guess #14 isn't coming anytime soon
View Quote

Already in the oven?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It by no means was a fucking execution.  Criminal was doing criminal shit and began moving 2000lb object in an agressive manner right next to an officer on foot.  In some cases that is a valid deadly force situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cop here.

Yep.  I suppose I could understand the argument for manslaughter, especially if you think the shot was a nd (which it might have been, but unless the officer stated that there's no way to prove it).  But murder? Come the fuck on.

What I saw in that dashcam was an Officer that had very reasonable belief that the driver was in the process of causing him GBI.  Fuck the monday morning quarterbacks, and fuck the DA for calling a valid traffic stop 'chicken shit'.  How were McVeigh and Bundy caught again?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'm betting he torched that round off accidnetly, sympathetic reflex.  He was grabbing inside the vehicle at the time, and at one point it looks like his grip on the gun is way low.   Thinking he either grabbed at the interior and right hand also grabbed, or he adjusted the grip and it went off.  

View Quote

That could be true as well.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're smarter than that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I watched it and have to say I don't know.   Guy was resisting the commands cop put and arm in.  Guy jerked and on first watching looked like he was putting his hand down to the consol. Car was moving while the cop had arm inside.   Biggest thing for me was how the cop bent over then a big jerk down on the officer.  I have seen a lot worse than this.   I would have a hard time convicting and not sure it wasn't justified.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can focus on one line but yea, the front license plate law in ohio is bullshit, campus police have no business being in that area off campus, I think the whole thing could have been handled differently, and don't think the video to me looks like a good shoot.

Don't know about Ohio, but in some states campus police are employees of the state and technically state police.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don't know about Ohio, but in some states campus police are employees of the state and technically state police.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All our state university system cops routinely work blocks away from actual campus property.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

All our state university system cops routinely work blocks away from actual campus property.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I learned that from UCA PD.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I learned that from UCA PD.

View Quote

Those purple bear fuckers annoy me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Huh?  "Bad shoot"--based upon what?  You pulled that out of your ass and it smells.  Badly.

I'm sure they are closing the city down because of this indictment, right?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Officer is almost certainly facing indictment.

The video was bad enough that the chief more or less washed his hands of the officer right off the bat, publicly.

Bad shoot and here's to hoping the officer pays the price.

Huh?  "Bad shoot"--based upon what?  You pulled that out of your ass and it smells.  Badly.

Let's see... so far, I have condemnation from the officer's chief, resignation to likely indictment from his lawyer, and a two count felony indictment.

You have stomping and whining on an internet forum in the face of mounting evidence.

Do you want to wait until I have the trifecta including a felony conviction for murder, or do you want to admit you barked up the wrong tree before it gets that bad?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They only have jurisdiction over their university. Nearly all Campus PDs have agreements in place to assist and patrol nearby areas.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just can't help yourself, can you?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Let's see... so far, I have condemnation from the officer's chief, resignation to likely indictment from his lawyer, and a two count felony indictment.

You have stomping and whining on an internet forum in the face of mounting evidence.

Do you want to wait until I have the trifecta including a felony conviction for murder, or do you want to admit you barked up the wrong tree before it gets that bad?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The video was bad enough that the chief more or less washed his hands of the officer right off the bat, publicly.

Every cop I know could have legally killed people at different times in their careers.  Including two that were being charged by an 18 wheeler while they were in a wrecked car and one couldn't get out, they actually both fired, and both got suspended for excessive use of force. They both left patrol within a few months and one has since left the agency.  Every single one is terrified of the day they don't have a choice.  The reason they ALL give, they know they'll be thrown under the bus.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yea  a bureaucrat would never throw a officer under the bus to try and save his own skin. that never happens.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must have been a big fan of Ben Crump and Angela Corey's press conferences.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

yea  a bureaucrat would never throw a officer under the bus to try and save his own skin. that never happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Although you have to admit that the number of officers indicted on murder charges is VERY low. More often than not, police and politicians actually go above and beyond to protect their own. But I do understand your point.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wanna bet!?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Shit sandwich........
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Note to self...don't close the door and turn the ignition while pulled over.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excuse, lol?  Its a really bad shoot, no doubt.  I really don't think he meant to shoot him is all.  Criminal still?  You bet.
Page / 44
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top