[#1]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So how amazing is Windows 10?

Worth the upgrade from 7?
View Quote

I have it on a 5 year old laptop with a Duo Psomething cpu, 4gb ram etc.  It runs fairly nice once installed.  There are some things that are a little bit slower than W7 before it but there's also a few things that are a little quicker.  All in all, I have no complaints with it.

eta:
It looks more like a GUI refresh than an actual brand new "OS".  Almost like I have a theme on W7 instead of having W10.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:26:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No.

Just stick with your shitty XP for the rest of your life and disconnect from the internet. Everything on it is out to get you anyway.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ok granted.... But then why are they offering it to us Win 7 users?

There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

TINSTAAFL

Microsoft will make the money spying on your habits and selling them.

Win 10 will force you to tale all updates.  No more selecting what you wanted to update or not.

Win 10 will by default broadcast your home, or office, Wi-Fi to anyone.  Everyone is a "friend".

There are other services and features that will require you to allow your info and habits to be sent to Microsoft and whoever they want.

I'll pass.  No but no, thank you.

No.

Just stick with your shitty XP for the rest of your life and disconnect from the internet. Everything on it is out to get you anyway.

Actually I am running Win 7 on my desktops, laptop and UMPCs.  No problems whatsoever.

Have 8 on two tablets.  One crawled to a halt with all the shifty updates that consumed all the tablet's SSD.  My newer tablet came with 8.1.  Another shit that takes a lot of disk space with updates only and this time I have been selecting what to allow to update.   I read each of the KBAs and several do not apply.  Yet, those updates already took more than 2GB of space on the tablet's SSD.   The "disk cleanup" is a POS that does nothing.

Wi-Fi is shifty.  From time to time I have to reboot the tablet because it simply loses the connection.  The Win 7 machines do not have that problem.

UI does not lit a candle close to Win 7's.  That thing about having to type looking for something is primitive.  Poorly designed user experience.  I can find everything easily in Win 7 just using a mouse.

Win 8 was a half-backed OS dome by a bunch of incompetents.  Luckily Ballmer was fired because of that.

For what I saw Win 10 will not be much better than Win 8, meaning worse than Win 7, and will have the bad thing of being a huge spyware machine collecting information about the user and sending to Microsoft.  And this time there's no "opt-out" like before.

That frigging Cortana cannot be uninstalled.  Just "deactivated" but it still stays there in the background.

So, some people may like being processed and sold around.  Others likely work for Microsoft and have a vested interest in convincing others to jump in the bandwagon.

You seem to like it so have fun in your new "brave new world".

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:30:02 AM EDT
[#4]
In, because I'm dorky enough to be staying up until midnight to see what happens
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In their defense most of them have only been using Windows 7 for about a year after being dragged kicking and screaming off of XP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
8.1 is far better than 7.

Not my fault you have learning disabilities

In their defense most of them have only been using Windows 7 for about a year after being dragged kicking and screaming off of XP.

Have you considered they do not like the frigging 8.1 OS?  Why when someone does not like the same you do you assume that it's some issue on the user?   Really not seeing much difference between those who say who does not like Win 8.1 are retards and progressive-liberals saying who does not agree with "sensible gun control" are criminal rednecks.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:31:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In, because I'm dorky enough to be staying up until midnight to see what happens
View Quote

I wonder how they are teiring the rollout. I bet us peons have to wait a while.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got the Windows 10 update installed.  Updated from Windows 8.1.  I made sure to install all available windows updates, restarted the computer, clicked on the windows icon a few times and sure enough it said it was ready to update.  Took about 20 minutes total.  The progress circle thing kind of freaked me out because it shows the progress but freezes for a while.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:43:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just got the Windows 10 update installed.  Updated from Windows 8.1.  I made sure to install all available windows updates, restarted the computer, clicked on the windows icon a few times and sure enough it said it was ready to update.  Took about 20 minutes total.  The progress circle thing kind of freaked me out because it shows the progress but freezes for a while.  
View Quote

You are central time right?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Correct.  I also participated in the windows insider program.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:45:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Correct.  I also participated in the windows insider program.  
View Quote

Oh. Hmm I tried the beta but I guess that's not an insider thing so...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda curious too, although the website says it's available at midnight, yourntime.

There's a hidden folder in my root directory that is dang big, and I opened a mui file in notepad and windows 10 was mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:01:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Glad to hear it.  

When's the next Rambling Geek session?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm venting, and I know better. But I feel better.

Glad to hear it.  

When's the next Rambling Geek session?

Soon.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#14]
People started noticing that folder earlier today.  Its the update files.  Dont mess with it.  If you force the file to run it will delete itself and restart the download.  Checking out.  Good night.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Well damnit, now I see where they say they're tiering it.

I wonder where a 2011ish iMac fits on their tier.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:32:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm wondering if that last update added some sort of torrent distribution system to distribute the load, it would make perfect sense to do that.  Doing it without announcing it would be a dick move, so that's probably how it is done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda curious too, although the website says it's available at midnight, yourntime.

There's a hidden folder in my root directory that is dang big, and I opened a mui file in notepad and windows 10 was mentioned.

I'm wondering if that last update added some sort of torrent distribution system to distribute the load, it would make perfect sense to do that.  Doing it without announcing it would be a dick move, so that's probably how it is done.

I kinda figured that'd be the way they had to do it, and from the looks of things in those folders, it may be what they've done.

I'll probably keep the guinea pig up all night by leaving the computer on.

He should at least enjoy the screensaver.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:38:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm not updating until it's been out for a few weeks. I'll read about peoples experiences with it and then make the call. I suspect that it will have a lot of crap you can buy in the way of "apps" sort of like some of these "free" games.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:52:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just run (or install and run) netwatch, see what you have for active connections and the bit rates in each direction.   Might be some interesting results for 5 minutes of looking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kinda figured that'd be the way they had to do it, and from the looks of things in those folders, it may be what they've done.

I'll probably keep the guinea pig up all night by leaving the computer on.

He should at least enjoy the screensaver.

Just run (or install and run) netwatch, see what you have for active connections and the bit rates in each direction.   Might be some interesting results for 5 minutes of looking.

I looked for longer than 5 minutes and couldn't find this "netwatch" program.

I is dumb, or I don't google correctly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:54:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Point of fact: You don't need to ditch an MS OS, you need to ditch the idea of a general purpose personal computer, period. They're not made for people like you.

And again, a lot of you guys need to get out of your bubble. Microsoft isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. They do A LOT more than you're apparently aware of.

This reminds me of that stupid net neutrality graphic that gets passed around, where it shows Amazon being sold by your ISP as if it were a cable channel. If I showed you how incredibly deep Amazon Web Services were embedded in everything you do (to include an assload of the apps you use on your own phone), you'd shit yourself.

Microsoft isn't a whole lot different. The site you're posting on right  now is 100% reliant on Microsoft servers, databases, and programming languages. Deep. Really deep.

They're not going anywhere, anytime soon, even if you decide that you love Google or Apple's offerings on your consumer devices.

BTW - this was posted with a MacBook Pro (I love OSX to death). And it doesn't matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's my point, you're their future, the rest of us who only use a computer for a few specific tasks don't need a MS OS.  

Point of fact: You don't need to ditch an MS OS, you need to ditch the idea of a general purpose personal computer, period. They're not made for people like you.

It will only take a few more years before MS is no longer part of everyone's life like they were in the past.

And again, a lot of you guys need to get out of your bubble. Microsoft isn't going anywhere, anytime soon. They do A LOT more than you're apparently aware of.

This reminds me of that stupid net neutrality graphic that gets passed around, where it shows Amazon being sold by your ISP as if it were a cable channel. If I showed you how incredibly deep Amazon Web Services were embedded in everything you do (to include an assload of the apps you use on your own phone), you'd shit yourself.

Microsoft isn't a whole lot different. The site you're posting on right  now is 100% reliant on Microsoft servers, databases, and programming languages. Deep. Really deep.

They're not going anywhere, anytime soon, even if you decide that you love Google or Apple's offerings on your consumer devices.

BTW - this was posted with a MacBook Pro (I love OSX to death). And it doesn't matter.
Which MS OS can compete with chrome in a laptop on price and speed, or even on a tablet?  This is what I want and apparently what everyone else wants if you look at sales. I have no clue that MS offers something in a machine that can have the speeds of a chrome book without the need to buy anti virus and still get seamless updates while not having to update drivers, delete updates, retry, patches, security etc. I don't know what you define as a personal computer?  Is a chrome book not considered a computer?

I know Microsoft has all kinds of things going on, but the consumer market is huge, and so is name recognition. MS is a household name, most of us grew up with it, especially those of us who were around before apple became so popular, they used to be in every house, school, and library with a computer and Internet access, that time has come to an end just like it has for the home phone. Microsoft lost the education sector this year, those kids are going to most likely stick to what they know and the schools are loving computers that don't need teams of tech support personnel.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:01:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone tried removing "cortana" out via a Linux partition?  If so where how and what did it affect?  I havent had the balls to put 10 on yet but its one of a few concerns that I have.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:23:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The primary issue was the users who either refuse to learn anything new, or are incapable of it...

That being said, Microsoft failed to deliver what customers wanted...

Windows 10 looks amazing.

Given the breadth of devices it will run on, Xbox, phones, IoT devices like Arduinos & Raspberry PIs, embedded systems, HoloLens, Oculus Rift (indirectly), PCs of course, next-gen Surface tablets, etc...it's going to be freaking huge!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The last one sucked?

Well I'm on Win 7 on my computer and love it. Far as I know windows 7 doesn't suck.

Windows 7 wasn't "the last one." Windows 8/8.1 suck.

The primary issue was the users who either refuse to learn anything new, or are incapable of it...

That being said, Microsoft failed to deliver what customers wanted...

Windows 10 looks amazing.

Given the breadth of devices it will run on, Xbox, phones, IoT devices like Arduinos & Raspberry PIs, embedded systems, HoloLens, Oculus Rift (indirectly), PCs of course, next-gen Surface tablets, etc...it's going to be freaking huge!
Going to be huge? I don't know anyone that uses a windows phone or tablet. The larger car manufacturers are supporting apple car play and android auto, Ford is ditching Microsoft auto this year. It is interesting watching the race to see who can get into the things we use most.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:26:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Backing things up.

I'm unsure how this upgrade process will affect things... If it will be like a normal update or like previous OS changes...  One has all my data and programs still intact and installed and working... the other could wipe data and all programs will have to be re-installed.  Going from win 7 to 10.

I'll be trying it out on my older laptops currently serving as a media connection for my TV first before doing it on my gaming PC.

Win 7 is great.

Win 8 UI was a travesty but under the hood had some speed and security improvements.

Win 10 Seems to have walked back a bit on the UI...  I expect there will still be some wonkyness to it...  And speed and security improvements.

The reason they're giving it for free... The "app store" MS added it in 8 and they want a piece of the digital distribution pie.  Getting everyone who has avoided 8 due to the UI to have an OS with their app store will make them money.  And at least a little shame over 8s UI nightmare...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#25]
My machine (Dell Laptop) has failed to update twice. Once at 3:30 am and again at 5:55 am.

I assume it's because the servers are jammed right now. I'm going to leave it on while I'm at work and I'll see what happens while I'm gone.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried removing "cortana" out via a Linux partition?  If so where how and what did it affect?  I havent had the balls to put 10 on yet but its one of a few concerns that I have.  Thank you.
View Quote

For what I read you cannot remove or uninstall it.  It's part of the core system.  Apparently you can disable it but it will still remain active lurking within the OS.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's free. I'm using it. Just download it already.
View Quote

I just downloaded the free ISO image for Win 10 Pro. What do I do about a license key? Do I use my current Windows 7 Ultimate license key for Windows 10?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
For what I read you cannot remove or uninstall it.  It's part of the core system.  Apparently you can disable it but it will still remain active lurking within the OS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

you can just... never activate it.  it's an opt in system.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm getting pissed at the damn pop up that keeps offering me win 10 from the adware they put in last update dl.

I'll stay with 7 thank you very much.  

And it comes down to $$$.  Seems a lot of win and adobe software are now going subscription so you never actually own a copy. constant money machine for them as you will always have a subscription payment as long as you want to use them.
View Quote

Uninstall the update that added it and you won't see the popup. Unless you have auto update on and it re-installs it later.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Mines still says "notify me when ready"
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Az_sky doesn't know 8.1 has a desktop....lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

<snip>

Az_sky doesn't know 8.1 has a desktop....lol

What in the world are you talking about.

I boot my W8.1 pc to the desktop.....
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did

Wuauclt /updatenow

From an admin cmd prompt, that started the download very soon after.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I did

Wuauclt /updatenow

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did

Wuauclt /updatenow

All that did for me was open windows update
Disregard

Disregard the disregard.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Installed 10 pro 64.  Only complaint is it seems to take way too long to boot into windows from restart.  Installed on an SSD that loaded 7 near instantly seems like I'm back on an IDE drive...  And no, the drive is functioning fine.  So that rules that out.  WTF Windows 10?

Anyone else have similar responses?

ETA:  I've checked everything.  Ran the toolbox to optimize, checked firmware, re-set BIOS settings for fastest boot.

It literally takes 1:15 minutes to boot from the time I see the swirling Windows load icon until I can see my desktop.

This is abnormal as Windows 7 took not even 10 seconds to fully load.

Any suggestions?  Again, I just had to re-load 7 to re-update to 10 and when I loaded into 7, it was perfect.  Checked disk, no issues.

ETA2:  1 minute 35 seconds total time to boot from bios screen to desktop.

Set everything for fastest boot in bios.  Going to update bios see if that helps, no idea why 10 is doing this but 7 did not.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#35]

[eta:
It looks more like a GUI refresh than an actual brand new "OS".  Almost like I have a theme on W7 instead of having W10.
View Quote

Oh wow. There are SO many new features, I don't know of a comprehensive list, here are just a fraction of security features. https://blogs.windows.com/business/2015/04/21/windows-10-security-innovations-at-rsa-device-guard-windows-hello-and-microsoft-passport/

There is no NSA backdoor in Windows. Your data is your data, and we want it to stay that way, that's why we've invested so much in security in all our (yes I work for MSFT) products, including Windows.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Linux is not a threat to Windows in the desktop market.  It's weakness is drivers and support and while it's vastly improved from years past, Windows is still better, particularly on the support side of things.  I say this as someone who really likes Linux and uses it a lot.  Windows still holds something like 90% of the desktop market.  Last I heard Linux was under 2%.

I'd say their strategy has more to do with moving to a subscription based service and making it more of a multi-platform Windows experience across devices.  Mandatory updates may help some security issues.

Posted from a laptop running Ubuntu  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Change in strategy, maybe.  Linux is starting to gain a lot more traction with home users (though not nearly enough to say that Windows is in trouble).  Since it's free, very robust, and nearly on par with Windows in terms of drivers, support, etc., they may sense that charging an arm and a leg for something that has been, historically, riddled with security issues and general bloat, may not be the best idea.

I could be way off, though.

Linux is not a threat to Windows in the desktop market.  It's weakness is drivers and support and while it's vastly improved from years past, Windows is still better, particularly on the support side of things.  I say this as someone who really likes Linux and uses it a lot.  Windows still holds something like 90% of the desktop market.  Last I heard Linux was under 2%.

I'd say their strategy has more to do with moving to a subscription based service and making it more of a multi-platform Windows experience across devices.  Mandatory updates may help some security issues.

As a Linux user for the last 10 or so years... I do agree w/ the above.  It's gonna take something major to make people really look at moving to Linux.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

As a Linux user for the last 10 or so years... I do agree w/ the above.  It's gonna take something major to make people really look at moving to Linux.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Change in strategy, maybe.  Linux is starting to gain a lot more traction with home users (though not nearly enough to say that Windows is in trouble).  Since it's free, very robust, and nearly on par with Windows in terms of drivers, support, etc., they may sense that charging an arm and a leg for something that has been, historically, riddled with security issues and general bloat, may not be the best idea.

I could be way off, though.

Probably full support for every pc game, to include a back catalog for the last 10 years.

I'd consider switching back to Linux if that were true.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Installed 10 pro 64.  Only complaint is it seems to take way too long to boot into windows from restart.  Installed on an SSD that loaded 7 near instantly seems like I'm back on an IDE drive...  And no, the drive is functioning fine.  So that rules that out.  WTF Windows 10?

ETA:  I've checked everything.  Ran the toolbox to optimize, checked firmware, re-set BIOS settings for fastest boot.

It literally takes 1:15 minutes to boot from the time I see the swirling Windows load icon until I can see my desktop.

Any suggestions?  Again, I just had to re-load 7 to re-update to 10 and when I loaded into 7, it was perfect.  Checked disk, no issues.

Set everything for fastest boot in bios.  Going to update bios see if that helps, no idea why 10 is doing this but 7 did not.
View Quote

on my laptop with regular HDD, it boots the same, if not just slightly faster than W7 on the same comp
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

on my laptop with regular HDD, it boots the same, if not just slightly faster than W7 on the same comp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thinking my install is fubar.  This is my 2nd install, first one took a while as well but didn't time it.  First install wouldn't activate.

Going to do another clean install...hope for the best
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Microsoft wants you to visit the Windows Store to buy apps, games, songs, movies, content subscriptions, etc.  Sort of like what Google did for Android with the Play Store, and what Apple did for OSX/iOS with whatever their app store is called.
View Quote

Oh, you're referring to the App Store.

You know, that thing that Google and Microsoft modeled their app stores after.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#41]
works fine on my old-assed HP laptop that originally came with Win7, which I upgraded to Win8 and 8.1 over time.  i3 processor, 8GB RAM, it seems to run it better than it ran 8.1.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, according to Microsoft:

Note

If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.
View Quote

So far, this is a lie.

Heres to hoping that this is simply due to their servers being hammered and it will activate on its own in due time.  So far, no activation.  Only activated version I had was when I did the upgrade, not a clean install.

Also, I still have a 1 minute 30 second boot time on an SSD.  Anyone know what the hell is going on?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Why don't you set it to desktop and boot to desktop? I never use the tiles screen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
8.1 is far better than 7.

Not my fault you have learning disabilities

I like it, but I hate the GUI. Border-less icons is truly a pain and I have good eyesight. Ribbon is slower than drop down menus to. Not sure if there is a way to edit files in Program Files folder? That, and it bricked itself on some updates. May or may not be the low end HP PC. If they could have given other options for the stuff I listed, I wouldn't still be on 7 for my desktop. I'll get 10 eventually, but it has the same shortcomings as 8.1 IMO.

Laptop will likely be going to 10 soon.

Why don't you set it to desktop and boot to desktop? I never use the tiles screen.

I can't figure out the "desktop" mode you speak of, unless you were referring to the Modern UI which I never use in 8.1. I even used Classic Shell before 8.1 came along. I am referring to the windows/ribbon, which is a terrible design. Which sadly does effect anyone who wants to use it on a desktop/laptop. Seems like 10 is the same way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So far, this is a lie.

Heres to hoping that this is simply due to their servers being hammered and it will activate on its own in due time.  So far, no activation.  Only activated version I had was when I did the upgrade, not a clean install.

Also, I still have a 1 minute 30 second boot time on an SSD.  Anyone know what the hell is going on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Note

If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.

So far, this is a lie.

Just got off the phone with Microsoft.  Apparently it's "bugged" or having "technical difficulties" and that within 24 to 48 hours it should be activated.

At first, he was telling me "No, to do a clean install you have to buy a Windows 10 Product Key."  I'm like....your website says you don't.  He's like, I know what I'm saying I work for Microsoft.  I'm like....apparently you don't.  I re-read him the website 3 times so he understood me and made sure to express the "FREE UPGRADE" part of the wording.  Then he asks me what website it was....Uh Microsoft?  Gave him the URL.  Puts me on hold for 10 minutes, comes back and tells me the above.

Cmon Microsoft, update your little cheat sheet prompts for your tech support with the correct info please!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I downloaded the ISO from their application and did a fresh install as a VM on my test machine at work...Still getting used to it, but I'm liking it more than 8/8.1.  My host is not even that great hardware-wise and it still runs pretty well, better than I expected.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes

According to Rayburn -- and based on conversations he's had with sources -- Microsoft has reserved up to 40Tbps (terabits per second) capacity from multiple "content delivery networks," or CDNs, including Akamai, EdgeCast, Level 3 and Limelight Networks for Windows 10's distribution.

By comparison, Apple's release of iOS 8 last year crested at around 3Tbps and other major Web events, including some of Apple's most widely-watched live-streamed presentations, peaked at 8Tbps, Rayburn said.

Microsoft has been unable to get more capacity, Rayburn said, because the Windows 10 roll-out, with interest fueled by the free upgrade deal, is a one-time event: CDNs were hesitant to allocate more to Microsoft because doing so would have impacted their ongoing customers. "That's part of the reason why it has not been capable of handling this," said Rayburn.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:19:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Only issue I have noticed as of yet is StarCraft II video is a little glitchy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:25:38 AM EDT
[#48]
According to Rayburn -- and based on conversations he's had with sources -- Microsoft has reserved up to 40Tbps (terabits per second) capacity from multiple "content delivery networks," or CDNs, including Akamai, EdgeCast, Level 3 and Limelight Networks for Windows 10's distribution.
View Quote

Sweet Jesus...
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#49]
NM, it was a Vsync issue.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

By comparison, Apple's release of iOS 8 last year crested at around 3Tbps and other major Web events, including some of Apple's most widely-watched live-streamed presentations, peaked at 8Tbps, Rayburn said.

Microsoft has been unable to get more capacity, Rayburn said, because the Windows 10 roll-out, with interest fueled by the free upgrade deal, is a one-time event: CDNs were hesitant to allocate more to Microsoft because doing so would have impacted their ongoing customers. "That's part of the reason why it has not been capable of handling this," said Rayburn.

Damn.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top