Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because if mass gaming makes the jump to Linux windows is farked.

Only thing keeping me on Windows is gaming.
View Quote

Windows is extremely widespread in the business world. I use both Windows and Linux at work. There is such a huge installed base of Windows among businesses that I don't see it going away anytime soon. That does not mean I am a big fan of Windows, but since I use it at work, I use it at home too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]
This is similar to the Linux point mentioned above, but Apple has been giving OS upgrades for free since Yosemite.   But like some one posted above, that isn't the complete reason, it may play a part.    I think it is a combination of this and the desire to get people out of old Windows versions so they can start on the automatic update cycle and app ecosystem.   This may help their public perception with regards to security as well because forcing upgrades will help keep more people secure.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So you're that one guy that uses media center! We found you!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One thing that has me not wanting Win 10 is no media center.
IF you use media center or need it don't upgrade.

Actually i used it a few months ago to record a local TV station while i was at work, other than that it has been a few years.
I was just doing updates the other day getting my backup system ready to go Win 10 and found out i am wasting my time updating the drivers for it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Please explain how windows 8 "sucked". If you know what your looking for and know how to type it works great.  God help you if you you use server 2012, 2012 r2 and upcoming server 2016 that will basily be server core.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

Well I'm on Win 7 on my computer and love it. Far as I know windows 7 doesn't suck.

Windows 7 wasn't "the last one."  Windows 8/8.1 suck.

Please explain how windows 8 "sucked". If you know what your looking for and know how to type it works great.  God help you if you you use server 2012, 2012 r2 and upcoming server 2016 that will basily be server core.

Windows 8.1 sucks because it does not have a built-in transition for the user interface that bridges the gap between the WIndows 7 classic UI and the Windows 8.1 tablet interface. That gives a frustrating learning curve for people who are long-time users of Windows. Anytime a tech company rams a new UI down their customers' throats without providing an easy transition, it costs time and money and is an extremely arrogant and customer-hostile thing to do. If the new UI is brilliant and has been highly tested in Human Factors labs, and is clearly the wave of the future, that's irrelevant to someone who is trying to meet a deadline and doesn't have time to spend on learning the new interface. Microsoft blew it royally and I'm sure they know it.

It's like the new formula Coke that came out years ago. When a company gives the finger to the majority of their long-time customers and tell their customers what they should like, they have become out of touch with their customers.

I personally despise the 8.1 interface and installed Stardock to give me a 7-like interface, even though I did not have any issues navigating the 8.1 interface. I just don't like it.

I don't own a tablet and just got my first smart phone recently. I don't care for the smartphone because the only functions I really want are making/receiving calls and the ability to occasionally send text messages. Compared to a flip phone, my Android phone is a brick, and a fragile one at that. I normally adopt new technologies when they offer a clear benefit that I want. Mobile devices just aren't there yet--at least not for me--and the Windows 8.1 interface is not either.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Windows 7 doesn't have a Store app.  Microsoft wants to do the Apple thing where the OS is cheap/free and they make their money on app/game/media sales.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Windows 8.1 sucks because it does not have a built-in transition for the user interface that bridges the gap between the WIndows 7 classic UI and the Windows 8.1 tablet interface. That gives a frustrating learning curve for people who are long-time users of Windows. Anytime a tech company rams a new UI down their customers' throats without providing an easy transition, it costs time and money and is an extremely arrogant and customer-hostile thing to do. If the new UI is brilliant and has been highly tested in Human Factors labs, and is clearly the wave of the future, that's irrelevant to someone who is trying to meet a deadline and doesn't have time to spend on learning the new interface. Microsoft blew it royally and I'm sure they know it.

It's like the new formula Coke that came out years ago. When a company gives the finger to the majority of their long-time customers and tell their customers what they should like, they have become out of touch with their customers.

I personally despise the 8.1 interface and installed Stardock to give me a 7-like interface, even though I did not have any issues navigating the 8.1 interface. I just don't like it.

I don't own a tablet and just got my first smart phone recently. I don't care for the smartphone because the only functions I really want are making/receiving calls and the ability to occasionally send text messages. Compared to a flip phone, my Android phone is a brick, and a fragile one at that. I normally adopt new technologies when they offer a clear benefit that I want. Mobile devices just aren't there yet--at least not for me--and the Windows 8.1 interface is not either.

Just my 2 cents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

Well I'm on Win 7 on my computer and love it. Far as I know windows 7 doesn't suck.

Just my 2 cents.

Pepper your angus brother, many here believed 8 can do wrong, and there was no flaw with 8 that couldn't be waived away by blaming you
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Because if mass gaming makes the jump to Linux windows is farked.

Only thing keeping me on Windows is gaming.
View Quote

Yep, just wait until Valve releases Steam OS. Windows is toast.

Oh wait, what's that? It came out two years ago?

No one cared?

It doesn't even have enough users to register on Valve's on monthly survey?

Hmmf. Odd.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Really? Not discounting your view at all but it's the first I have seen something other than hate for Windows 8.1. I share the opinion of those who wonder how Microsoft could have gotten the user interface so wrong. I use Windows 7 at work and after installing 8.1 on my home desktop, was really wishing I had done my homework instead of just getting the latest version of Windows. I ended up getting Stardock, which is software that gives Windows 8.1 an interface very much like the classic Windows user interface.

Add to that the regular crashes and 8.1 is just not what I want out of an OS.

I am signed up for a free version of Windows 10 because 8.1 sucks and the youtube videos I have seen showing Windows 10 look like an improvement. For now, though, I think Windows 7 is the better choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love 8.1. I wish I had 8.1 on my laptop that came with 7.

I don't get the hate. It's so easy and intuitive, it's what apple used to be.

Really? Not discounting your view at all but it's the first I have seen something other than hate for Windows 8.1. I share the opinion of those who wonder how Microsoft could have gotten the user interface so wrong. I use Windows 7 at work and after installing 8.1 on my home desktop, was really wishing I had done my homework instead of just getting the latest version of Windows. I ended up getting Stardock, which is software that gives Windows 8.1 an interface very much like the classic Windows user interface.

I am signed up for a free version of Windows 10 because 8.1 sucks and the youtube videos I have seen showing Windows 10 look like an improvement. For now, though, I think Windows 7 is the better choice.

I did a new install on a new ssd of windows 8.1 on my monster video editing rig.

It runs great!
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pepper your angus brother, many here believed 8 can do wrong, and there was no flaw with 8 that couldn't be waived away by blaming you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my 2 cents.

I'm really curious how people use Windows 7 that's so  vastly different than 8.1. I use both 7 and 8.1 daily and I do the exact same things. Commonly used applications are pinned to my task bar. If I want to use one, I click it. Stuff I don't use as often I press the Windows key then type what I want. Even if for some reason I really wanted to use the mouse to do so, it would still be the same. Click the Windows button in the lower left, click the icon for the application I want to use on the resulting Start thing.

If you want to bitch about the metro/modern/whatever apps, I sorta get that, but you don't have to use them for anything. Use your favorite media player from Windows 7 or whatever. Beyond that, I sorta dig the apps in some circumstances, but those circumstances are almost exclusively related to touch screen controls.

EDIT: I'm not trying to blame the user here, I'm genuinely trying to understand what tasks they find difficulty with and what steps they are taking to accomplish those tasks in both operating systems.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm really curious how people use Windows 7 that's so  vastly different than 8.1. I use both 7 and 8.1 daily and I do the exact same things. Commonly used applications are pinned to my task bar. If I want to use one, I click it. Stuff I don't use as often I press the Windows key then type what I want. Even if for some reason I really wanted to use the mouse to do so, it would still be the same. Click the Windows button in the lower left, click the icon for the application I want to use on the resulting Start thing.

If you want to bitch about the metro/modern/whatever apps, I sorta get that, but you don't have to use them for anything. Use your favorite media player from Windows 7 or whatever. Beyond that, I sorta dig the apps in some circumstances, but those circumstances are almost exclusively related to touch screen controls.
View Quote

I use both daily too.

My gripe is not that the touch screen interface (or the keyboard interface, for that matter) is inherently flawed. My gripe is that Microsoft did not bridge the gap between the two and let the user decide. As a former IT guy, I have seen the lynch mobs that can result from pushing changes on users that disrupt their long standing ways of doing things. It's not necessarily a case of people being stuck in the past and hanging on to the old ways of doing things. In a work environment it is often a case of people not being able to meet deadlines or meet productivity expectations because of changes that break their current processes. That can cost a lot of money and generate a lot of resentment.

I personally don't like the touch screen interface but it is a no-brainer that if my work computer switches over to that interface, my home computer will follow shortly.

ETA:
To answer the question about what tasks are suddenly becoming hard with the touch screen interface, that depends on the individual user. The worst case scenario, though, is any *highly-repetitive* task that has been affected by the interface. For me, the tablet interface is an annoying distraction.

Just now, I shutdown the Stardock software on my home desktop so Windows would revert to the standard 8.1 interface. Suddenly switching over to that interface, I am left wondering where the fuck my apps are and how I launch them. Then I see an arrow at the bottom of the screen, click on it, and there is an unfamiliar interface with all of my apps categorized alphabetically. But wait, no they aren't. Some are categorized alphabetically and others are grouped with other related items under the parent software name.

Can I launch the apps I need to use? Yes. Does it take me longer the first few times? Again, yes. Do I consider this kind of sudden change without a *clearly* identified way of reverting to the familiar interface to be acceptable? No I don't. Not even a little bit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I use both daily too.

My gripe is not that the touch screen interface (or the keyboard interface, for that matter) is inherently flawed. My gripe is that Microsoft did not bridge the gap between the two and let the user decide. As a former IT guy, I have seen the lynch mobs that can result from pushing changes on users that disrupt their long standing ways of doing things. It's not necessarily a case of people being stuck in the past and hanging on to the old ways of doing things. In a work environment it is often a case of people not being able to meet deadlines or meet productivity expectations because of changes that break their current processes. That can cost a lot of money and generate a lot of resentment.

I personally don't like the touch screen interface but it is a no-brainer that if my work computer switches over to that interface, my home computer will follow shortly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use both daily too.

Can you explain this a bit more? I think when you say touch screen interface you mean Start screen vs Start menu.

I'll admit that the transition is perhaps more jarring at first, but how you use both is the same. The Start screen is a full screen Start menu. I don't find it to require any more (or different) clicks in Windows 8.1 than it did in 7, but that's why I inquired. Perhaps there's a use case I'm missing and my habits from Vista just happened to allow me to use each subsequent OS the same way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I use both daily too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use both daily too.

I still don't understand your "bridge the gap" statement.

I've been using the Windows OS since they first came out with it, currently I use 8.1 on only desktops with a keyboard.

I boot to the desktop (not the Start Menu) with all my commonly used programs pinned to the taskbar it is incredibly simple and easy!

If I need some other program I simply tap the windows key and start typing the name and it magically appears.

I find W8.1 a far far better OS than W7, it's quicker and easier to navigate.

But I guess, to each their own.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

One of my rules for leading a happy stress free life... NEVER as in NEVER buy or install the first release of any Microsoft program. EVER. Wait a few months while all the major bugs and security breaches are found then patched.
View Quote

I know several IT guys using 10 currently... they're the first debuggers. So far, they all really like it. I mean, REALLY like it.

That said, you are correct. I suspect the early adopters of these free copies will also be debugging the software. I think that's more what Microsoft has in mind. Spread the OS out, monitor performance and bug reports for serious flaws.

I'm on the list to download a free copy.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I still don't understand your "bridge the gap" statement.   I've been using the Windows OS since they first came out with it, currently I use 8.1 on only desktops with a keyboard.
I boot to the desktop (not the Start Menu) with all my commonly used programs pinned to the taskbar it is incredibly simple and easy!
If I need some other program I simply tap the windows key and start typing the name and it magically appears.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use both daily too.

I still don't understand your "bridge the gap" statement.   I've been using the Windows OS since they first came out with it, currently I use 8.1 on only desktops with a keyboard.

It is not only a case of personal preference, although that obviously comes into play. My attitudes mostly relate to a work environment where people are under stress to perform tasks under time pressures.

As an analogy, consider the times when you have been in a convenience store and a long checkout line has formed because the cashier is new to the point-of-sale UI. That can generate frustration for the cashier, some pissed off customers who start raising hell, which flusters the cashier and causes them to make more mistakes, and customers start setting their stuff down and walking out, which further frustrates the cashier, and so on.

It is easy to find issues with the cashier, their training, the management, or other factors, but the bottom line is that in that scenario, the UI was not effective. Maybe the cashier turns into a real wizard on the point-of-sale terminal within a week or two, but the fact remains that a bad scenario happened and it could have been avoided.

The same type of scenario and reasoning applies to virtually any software used to perform tasks.

I learned this the hard way years back when I was working on some accounts payable software and made an interface change that was IMO, pure genius. The resulting lynch mob changed my view quickly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

Windows 8 and 8.1 don't "suck".  They're both significantly better than 7 was.  

10 is good also, I like the UI a little bit better than 8/8.1.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You haven't paid any attention.  Every one of us who works in IT on this site has said 8.1 is better than 7.  And I haven't been able to crash 8 or 8.1 yet -- they're both better than 7 under the hood as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It costs a lot of money to continue writing patches for old OS'es.  With the revenue stream from 7 basically gone and 8/8.1 having tanked hard, they need to do something to drive the sale of Office/Office365.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

ok granted.... But then why are they offering it to us Win 7 users?

There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

TINSTAAFL

It costs a lot of money to continue writing patches for old OS'es.  With the revenue stream from 7 basically gone and 8/8.1 having tanked hard, they need to do something to drive the sale of Office/Office365.

Bingo.  

Windows 8 practically killed the entire PC market. It was the biggest misstep in software history.  They lost more ground to OSX, Chrome OS, and Linux then anyone could have imagined. Just gutted the PC business.  Everyone hates it.

Free is the only way that they can get it on your PC after that fiasco, and they plan to offer "upgraded" versions of it for a fee. So once its on your computer, they will try to get you to buy a better or uprated edition.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Bingo.  

Windows 8 practically killed the entire PC market. It was the biggest misstep in software history.  They lost more ground to OSX, Chrome OS, and Linux then anyone could have imagined. Just gutted the PC business.  Everyone hates it.

Free is the only way that they can get it on your PC after that fiasco, and they plan to offer "upgraded" versions of it for a fee. So once its on your computer, they will try to get you to buy a better or uprated edition.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

<snip>

Bingo.  

No it didn't!

Not even close!

W8 wasn't liked but it never even captured even 3% of the market before W8.1 (a Great OS) replaced it!

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Bingo.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok granted.... But then why are they offering it to us Win 7 users?

There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

TINSTAAFL

Bingo.  

Where do you all dream this silliness up from?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bingo.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You haven't paid any attention.  Every one of us who works in IT on this site has said 8.1 is better than 7.  And I haven't been able to crash 8 or 8.1 yet -- they're both better than 7 under the hood as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 64-bit Windows 7 has never crashed. Windows 8.1 crashed almost daily for weeks after I installed it. After applying loads of patches, it seems fairly stable now.

I'm sure others have had a different experience but to me 8.1 has been just another case of Microsoft using their customers for beta test.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:56:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Everyone is skipping the most obvious thing.

There is an NSA backdoor in the OS.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My 64-bit Windows 7 has never crashed. Windows 8.1 crashed almost daily for weeks after I installed it. After applying loads of patches, it seems fairly stable now.

I'm sure others have had a different experience but to me 8.1 has been just another case of Microsoft using their customers for beta test.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your experience does not match anything I've heard or seen.

Most likely you had hardware that caused problems.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:59:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Everyone is skipping the most obvious thing.

There is an NSA backdoor in the OS.
View Quote

lulz.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#25]
tag for late-week hilarity.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I've not experienced regular crashes. I don't think I've had a crash at all.

Maybe the program that imitates classic shell is the problem.

I am at a loss as to why people want to cling to old platforms. 8.1 works much faster than classic shell once you get used to it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I've not experienced regular crashes. I don't think I've had a crash at all.

Maybe the program that imitates classic shell is the problem.

I am at a loss as to why people want to cling to old platforms. 8.1 works much faster than classic shell once you get used to it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
You got me, I've been saying that forever.
I don't have a problem with W7 but W8.1 without Classic Shell is so much better in all realms (at least the way I use windows) and I use it on a desktop with a mouse.

Once you put Classic Shell on W8.1 you've just done gone backwards....

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use it to run my HTPC and handle recordings.

It's excellent at TV recording/management.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's free because it includes the new NSA  hack that reads all your shit.
Remember, Bill Gates is a lefty
View Quote

Goodness no! GD taught me that Macs are used by penis-chugging leftist communists! All PC users are paragons of rugged Right wing individualism!

/typed on a Mac by an australopithecine rightist libertarian
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#30]
run VMWARE and have a bunch of OS's to chose from.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I love Windows 10. I'm glad they ditched IE.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
run VMWARE and have a bunch of OS's to chose from.
View Quote

How many of which have baremetal access to my hardware?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's free because it includes the new NSA  hack that reads all your shit.
Remember, Bill Gates is a lefty
View Quote

WTF does Bill Gates have to do with Windows 10?

Whom do you think the majority of the industry supports?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I'm a happy camper with 7 and I'll wait as long as possible on 10

for them to get the bugs out.

They got spanked hard with 8, hopefully they have learned.

Why did 8 suck so bad......

Why should I have to type in the name of a program when

for like, forever, it was click Start and peck the icon?

If I wanted to go back to typing, I'd have bought a type writer.

Not to mention, I had it on a laptop without a touch screen.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get an off the shelf cable card of from your cable co?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, W8 sucked.

But W8.1 isn't W8.

You can set W8.1 to operate just as easily as W7 without Shell if you ONLY try....  

Luddites!  I give up!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And in 30 seconds, you could download classic shell and make it just like 7.

8's UI wasn't great, but it's a better os than 7.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Loved Windows 7, tolerate 8.1, scared of 10.
View Quote
this

Im sticking with 7 for the time being

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I still don't understand your "bridge the gap" statement. I've been using the Windows OS since they first came out with it, currently I use 8.1 on only desktops with a keyboard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm really curious how people use Windows 7 that's so vastly different than 8.1. I use both 7 and 8.1 daily and I do the exact same things. Commonly used applications are pinned to my task bar. If I want to use one, I click it. Stuff I don't use as often I press the Windows key then type what I want. Even if for some reason I really wanted to use the mouse to do so, it would still be the same. Click the Windows button in the lower left, click the icon for the application I want to use on the resulting Start thing.

I use both daily too.

I still don't understand your "bridge the gap" statement. I've been using the Windows OS since they first came out with it, currently I use 8.1 on only desktops with a keyboard.

I do the exact same thing except I put shortcuts to my programs on the desktop. If you boot to the desktop the only difference is clicking on 'This PC' to see your start menu items.

People who bitch about the 8.1 interface learn by rote instead of reason.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:24:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I think an earlier post almost nailed why the Windows 10 upgrade is free for most users.  Microsoft wants to turn your PC into a walled garden, where you get your software from their app store (cut for Microsoft!) along with all your movies and TV shows (cut for Microsoft!) and music (cut for Microsoft!).  It's not an accident that most users will not be able to refuse patches from Windows Update:  They want to keep your computer secure.  Not from bad guys on the Internet, mind you.  Your computer has to be kept secure from YOU so you can't rip music or bypass the DRM on streaming videos or do other "bad" things.  And If someone invents a hack to get out of the walled garden, Microsoft can push a fix out en masse to close the hole.  Windows 10 is big jump closer to what Microsoft called "Palladium" back in the early 2000s.

Remember, if you're not paying for something then you're not the customer you are the product.  And you're being delivered to the app writers and movie studios.  Microsoft has made promises to keep their content safe from you and Windows 10 is made to deliver on that promise.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:32:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I'm getting pissed at the damn pop up that keeps offering me win 10 from the adware they put in last update dl.

I'll stay with 7 thank you very much.  

And it comes down to $$$.  Seems a lot of win and adobe software are now going subscription so you never actually own a copy. constant money machine for them as you will always have a subscription payment as long as you want to use them.
View Quote
If you reserve the copy they're pushing on that update page - you get the 'Congrats, you have a copy reserved' just as often as the msg you're seeing.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't get the love for 8.1.  7 has everything I need and it is extremely stable.  I'm a developer, and I use a Win 7 desktop and a Win 8.1 2-in-1.  I've resorted to just creating a bunch of shortcuts on the desktop to my most frequently used apps since the Start menu sucks balls.  It's a pain in the ass switching between apps open in the normal Windows interface and ones that load up in the touch interface (whatever that's even called).  I have no need to switch off of 7, but I will get 10 to replace 8.1.

(disclaimer:  I stayed on XP for quite a while even after Win 7 came out, then I saw the light.  But that was just me being cheap)
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:48:55 AM EDT
[#43]
windows 10 will be the last truly new windows OS. they're going to turn it in to a service (fee) based system.

that's why they're giving it to you for free. kind of like free to play video games, with in game purchases.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:52:43 AM EDT
[#44]
I love watching the "experts" come out from the cracks and crevices of GD to post in threads like this.

There was literally nothing wrong with Windows 8/8.1.  People just want to bitch about the metroUI.  It was and still is a better OS than Windows 7.  Get the fuck over it already.

Windows 10 is the last major OS from Microsoft.  They are now just going to support the W10 platform via updates similar to how Linux or OSX works, and no you won't have to buy a subscription for that service or pay for those updates.  If you want W10 and aren't eligible for the upgrade(or wait too long to upgrade) then you'll have to buy it and it will have a one-time price tag attached to it just like all the previous versions.  There are no hidden fees or subscriptions attached and those claiming otherwise have nothing to base those claims on.  There is no fee-based model for continued support/updating of Windows 10 once you buy it(or free-upgrade to it).  I've seen some seriously retarded conspiracy theories posted on here about Windows 10 and people need to stop repeating them.

Why is it free for people that own genuine copies of 7 or 8? Well, I imagine it's because they want to flood the market right away to get a good and early set of data on how the Windows Store is used.  That's the big catch behind Windows 10, for those of you tossing and turning in bed at night trying to find one...the Windows Store.  Microsoft wants you to visit the Windows Store to buy apps, games, songs, movies, content subscriptions, etc.  Sort of like what Google did for Android with the Play Store, and what Apple did for OSX/iOS with whatever their app store is called.  Microsoft is just gettin' with the times.  Their previous business and OS model is becoming outdated.  Are you required to visit the Windows Store?  No.  Are you required to buy anything in the Windows Store? No.  Will people still bitch about it?  Yes.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:54:08 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

windows 10 will be the last truly new windows OS. they're going to turn it in to a service (fee) based system.

that's why they're giving it to you for free. kind of like free to play video games, with in game purchases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Please stop repeating retarded rumors.

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

Myerson clarified that Windows 10 users will still get free updates and
support for the lifetime of the OS, exactly like past versions of
Windows (like XP and Windows 7's Service Packs, for example). There's no
subscription model for updates or support or continuing to use the OS.
Myerson's reference to Windows "as a service" simply meant that
Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates
rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:02:20 AM EDT
[#46]
So coming from a IT guy here with 15 years in the industry  take with a grain of salt. I have been using 10 for about a year and a half with both the start screen and start menu option Cortana is interesting and not as annoying as siri on my iphone. I find both windows 8/8.1 are incredibly easy to navigate but it seems alot of people just cant deal with change even for the better. I like the multiple desktop options ( like my linux boxes desktops  or OSX screen swiping ). Honestly think most just hear 8 is "bad" and dont give it a real chance kinda like vista then 7 which were both the same os for all intents and purposes . One thing to note is windows 10 does seem to use less resources than 8/8.1 which used less than 7 and so on. Looking forward to see how the staggered release of 10 goes out to the public so i can compare to the OSX fails on release weeks. YMMV
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I don't get the love for 8.1.  7 has everything I need and it is extremely stable.  I'm a developer, and I use a Win 7 desktop and a Win 8.1 2-in-1.  I've resorted to just creating a bunch of shortcuts on the desktop to my most frequently used apps since the Start menu sucks balls.  It's a pain in the ass switching between apps open in the normal Windows interface and ones that load up in the touch interface (whatever that's even called).  I have no need to switch off of 7, but I will get 10 to replace 8.1.

(disclaimer:  I stayed on XP for quite a while even after Win 7 came out, then I saw the light.  But that was just me being cheap)
View Quote

I have Windows 8.1 on my work/gaming rig.  My most used shortcuts are on the desktop and all my tweak/system/monitoring/backup apps are on the Start Screen where they are easily accessible but not cluttering up my desktop.  It takes less than a second to hit the Windows key to switch to that start screen to access once of those apps.  I really like them being in their own areas without the need to skim through a start menu or have quicklaunch/stuff pinned which clutters up the taskbar.  If I need to launch something I don't have a shortcut for I just tap the Windows key to view the start screen and start typing the name of what I want.  It filter searches and I click what I want in the upper right corner of the screen.  What's not to like about all that?

ETA:  I don't use any of those full-screen W8 apps.  I uninstalled their version of Skype for the regular version.  The full screen apps are probably my only gripe.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:49:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think an earlier post almost nailed why the Windows 10 upgrade is free for most users.  Microsoft wants to turn your PC into a walled garden, where you get your software from their app store (cut for Microsoft!) along with all your movies and TV shows (cut for Microsoft!) and music (cut for Microsoft!).  It's not an accident that most users will not be able to refuse patches from Windows Update:  They want to keep your computer secure.  Not from bad guys on the Internet, mind you.  Your computer has to be kept secure from YOU so you can't rip music or bypass the DRM on streaming videos or do other "bad" things.  And If someone invents a hack to get out of the walled garden, Microsoft can push a fix out en masse to close the hole.  Windows 10 is big jump closer to what Microsoft called "Palladium" back in the early 2000s.

Remember, if you're not paying for something then you're not the customer you are the product.  And you're being delivered to the app writers and movie studios.  Microsoft has made promises to keep their content safe from you and Windows 10 is made to deliver on that promise.
View Quote

Lulz.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

[Windows 8] is a better OS than Windows 7.  
View Quote

Said exactly one person ever.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Loved Windows 7, tolerate 8.1, scared of 10.
View Quote

If you tolerated 8.1 you will have no problem tolerating 10...
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top