Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 7/21/2015 4:41:16 PM EDT
Ok... I know I'm stupid. I understand that.

But WHY is Windows wanting to GIVE me a free copy of windows 10?

Upgrades have never been free. So what is the catch?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The last one sucked?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The last one sucked?
View Quote

Well I'm on Win 7 on my computer and love it. Far as I know windows 7 doesn't suck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well I'm on Win 7 on my computer and love it. Far as I know windows 7 doesn't suck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

Windows 7 wasn't "the last one."  Windows 8/8.1 suck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

ok granted.... But then why are they offering it to us Win 7 users?

There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

TINSTAAFL
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Change in strategy, maybe.  Linux is starting to gain a lot more traction with home users (though not nearly enough to say that Windows is in trouble).  Since it's free, very robust, and nearly on par with Windows in terms of drivers, support, etc., they may sense that charging an arm and a leg for something that has been, historically, riddled with security issues and general bloat, may not be the best idea.

I could be way off, though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

TINSTAAFL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

TINSTAAFL

It costs a lot of money to continue writing patches for old OS'es.  With the revenue stream from 7 basically gone and 8/8.1 having tanked hard, they need to do something to drive the sale of Office/Office365.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

If all your customers used your newest product you wouldn't have to waste time and resources supporting your outdated products.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm getting pissed at the damn pop up that keeps offering me win 10 from the adware they put in last update dl.

I'll stay with 7 thank you very much.  

And it comes down to $$$.  Seems a lot of win and adobe software are now going subscription so you never actually own a copy. constant money machine for them as you will always have a subscription payment as long as you want to use them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Loved Windows 7, tolerate 8.1, scared of 10.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Biiig reason why while I use Windows machines, I have a robust Linux laptop that I am learning/developing on.  Kind of a fallback in case Windows 10 really craps the bed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm assuming they are aping Apple and looking to switch to a yearly, low cost update strategy. That and to propagate their own software store strategy like Apple's iTunes / App Store to as many users as they can.

Look for Windows 10.1 "Creeping Crocodile" to push this time next year for the low, low price of $19.99, with more yearly updates to follow.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm assuming they are aping Apple and looking to switch to a yearly, low cost update strategy. That and to propagate their own software store strategy like Apple's iTunes / App Store to as many users as they can.

Look for Windows 10.1 "Creeping Crocodile" to push this time next year for the low, low price of $19.99, with more yearly updates to follow.
View Quote

This makes more sense to me than my idea.  They're doing this with Office now, after all...
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not scared, but I am leery.  I have a laptop with some issues I can't fix, so it's going to be my guinea pig.  If I don't like it, I'll just install Linux.  I will still have another solid Win 7 Pro laptop.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#14]
The reason is simple. Microsoft pushed Windows 8 as more of an ecosystem that spans different products. You use the same operating system on your desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, whatever. The problem is many people didn't like it. So now you have a fractured system where you have the holdouts still using Windows 7 and the new users on Windows 8. Microsoft wants to merge these customers into one product that's easier to maintain and that is more robust, thus driving future sales of different Microsoft products. The result is Windows 10, which takes the best of both operating systems. But why upgrade if you're content with 7 or 8? Well, it's free. And it's the latest and greatest.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#15]
They're trying to consolidate their user base, which is fractured across XP, Vista (barely), 7, 8 & 8.1. The biggest reason I can see them wanting to do this is to get more developers to create Windows apps and Windows Mobile apps.

They're going to be writing patches and supporting Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 until the 10-year clock they've already established expires, so I'm not sure how much money they'll save on supporting legacy versions.

There's also some vague notion that they'll push users to buy future updates or into a subscription model in the future, but nothing really concrete yet on that front.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Windows app store. Big money to be made if Microsoft can get more people to use it.

The free update is limited. You won't be able to move the license to a different computer/motherboard.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]
One of my rules for leading a happy stress free life... NEVER as in NEVER buy or install the first release of any Microsoft program. EVER. Wait a few months while all the major bugs and security breaches are found then patched.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

I loved 7 and at first hated 8.  I'm on my third computer with 8 and my first personal with it.  The first 2 were work computers that I could not configure.  I love 8 now.  Not going to 10 and having to deal with the forced upgrades.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Change in strategy, maybe.  Linux is starting to gain a lot more traction with home users (though not nearly enough to say that Windows is in trouble).  Since it's free, very robust, and nearly on par with Windows in terms of drivers, support, etc., they may sense that charging an arm and a leg for something that has been, historically, riddled with security issues and general bloat, may not be the best idea.

View Quote

Linux is not a threat to Windows in the desktop market.  It's weakness is drivers and support and while it's vastly improved from years past, Windows is still better, particularly on the support side of things.  I say this as someone who really likes Linux and uses it a lot.  Windows still holds something like 90% of the desktop market.  Last I heard Linux was under 2%.

I'd say their strategy has more to do with moving to a subscription based service and making it more of a multi-platform Windows experience across devices.  Mandatory updates may help some security issues.

Posted from a laptop running Ubuntu  
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Jade Helm
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#21]
poop on a upgrade give me full license version and key. upgrades dont last and i have problems with them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Windows 7 wasn't "the last one."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

Windows 7 wasn't "the last one."

YES. It was.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#23]
It's free. I'm using it. Just download it already.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's the matter, mouse? You don't like cheese?

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#25]
they want full and fast adoption
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#26]
To get people off the old OS. Probably can save money by decreasing support for 7/8. Also makes them look good... so those that don't need a new PC now, but will after one year, won't hesitate to get a Win 10 PC.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
One of my rules for leading a happy stress free life... NEVER as in NEVER buy or install the first release of any Microsoft program. EVER. Wait a few months while all the major bugs and security breaches are found then patched.
View Quote

Good thing this is Windows 10 and not Windows 1. I guess that explains why my experience with it has been so happy and stress free.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I love 8.1. I wish I had 8.1 on my laptop that came with 7.

I don't get the hate. It's so easy and intuitive, it's what apple used to be.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Unfortunately, one of my old desktops can't run W10 (or 8/8.1 either) for CPU reasons, it runs W7 just fine.
Older CPU's that don't have NX (No Execute) technology can't run the latest MS OS's.

Even though I far-and-away prefer W8.1 over W7, I'd have no problems upgrading all my PC's to W10.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yep!

I've never used W8, but W8.1 stock out of the box with none of that "classic shell" shit is a far better OS than W7!

I have four computers and in order of OS preference:

I like W8.1 the best, followed by W7, then XP, with Ubuntu 14.04 coming in last place.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#31]
It's free because it includes the new NSA  hack that reads all your shit.
Remember, Bill Gates is a lefty
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Linux is not a threat to Windows in the desktop market.  It's weakness is drivers and support and while it's vastly improved from years past, Windows is still better, particularly on the support side of things.  I say this as someone who really likes Linux and uses it a lot.  Windows still holds something like 90% of the desktop market.  Last I heard Linux was under 2%.

I'd say their strategy has more to do with moving to a subscription based service and making it more of a multi-platform Windows experience across devices.  Mandatory updates may help some security issues.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

I dual boot Cinnamon and Winblows 8.fuckinjunk.

Only time I go into Winshit is when I need to do stuff in non-linux apps and some of my hardware....like TomTom,Garmin, my vape boxes, etc...
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Microsoft is changing its business model. Windows is going from a "product" to a "service."

By offering the "free" "upgrade" from Windows 7/8, they're trying to hook you into subscribing to that "service."

I have one computer running Windows 7, and another one running Windows 8.1. No issues with either of them.

On the other hand, if I were to "upgrade" to Windows 10, I would lose Media Center Edition. Not gonna do it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep!
I've never used W8, but W8.1 stock out of the box with none of that "classic shell" shit is a far better OS than W7!
I like W8.1 the best, followed by W7, then XP, with Ubuntu 14.04 coming in last place.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep!

I use 7 at work and 8.1 at home. I much prefer 8.1.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Because if mass gaming makes the jump to Linux windows is farked.

Only thing keeping me on Windows is gaming.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Their ad makes it seem like you will become young and unbelievably successful.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Win 10 is pretty nice, for those of you scared of it just download the free tech preview on a virtual machine and see how good it is.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#38]
It's funny, i have been reading about the suck that is windows 8.1 and delayed buying my new high end laptop due to this.  Then said fuck it and bought a nice ROG ASUS with all the goodies.  Came with 8.1.  After playing with it for a couple days, i actually love it.  I also installed Classic shell a week later and love it even more.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It's funny, i have been reading about the suck that is windows 8.1 and delayed buying my new high end laptop due to this.  Then said fuck it and bought a nice ROG ASUS with all the goodies.  Came with 8.1.  After playing with it for a couple days, i actually love it.  I also installed Classic shell a week later and love it even more.
View Quote
You should have played with the stock W8.1 for a bit more.
Classic shell makes W8.1 run like W7 - a step backwards.

Once you get the hang of W8.1 you can get to and do everything faster than using classic shell.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Windows 7 will be around for several years and they want you to move to the pay per year Windows 10.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:39:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Windows 7 will be around for several years and they want you to move to the pay per year Windows 10.
View Quote
Nah - I highly doubt it!

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#43]
One thing that has me not wanting Win 10 is no media center.
IF you use media center or need it don't upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one sucked?

Please explain how windows 8 "sucked". If you know what your looking for and know how to type it works great.  God help you if you you use server 2012, 2012 r2 and upcoming server 2016 that will basily be server core.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you're that one guy that uses media center! We found you!
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I deleted that useless software off all my computers....
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yea, Linux will never be a Windows killer while it is running 3-5 yrs behind on the support curve.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

It's free because it includes the new NSA  hack that reads all your shit.

Remember, Bill Gates is a lefty
View Quote

That is what I think too.  Big Brother is picking up the tab on this upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

yea, Linux will never be a Windows killer while it is running 3-5 yrs behind on the support curve.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But ya never know.

I was never a Linux lover but I have a couple of older laptops and desktops which can't run anything more than XP.

When XP stopped support I went to dual booting Ubuntu.

I'm still not a Linux lover but these older machines work just fine on "Trusty Tahr" for everyday simple stuff....
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really? Not discounting your view at all but it's the first I have seen something other than hate for Windows 8.1. I share the opinion of those who wonder how Microsoft could have gotten the user interface so wrong. I use Windows 7 at work and after installing 8.1 on my home desktop, was really wishing I had done my homework instead of just getting the latest version of Windows. I ended up getting Stardock, which is software that gives Windows 8.1 an interface very much like the classic Windows user interface.

Add to that the regular crashes and 8.1 is just not what I want out of an OS.

I am signed up for a free version of Windows 10 because 8.1 sucks and the youtube videos I have seen showing Windows 10 look like an improvement. For now, though, I think Windows 7 is the better choice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top