Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2015 7:49:25 AM EDT
Just bought a tent at cabela's yesterday.  I'm starting the kids (3 and 5) on camping with a backyard camping venture tonight.

Before all the woodsmen of the deep wilderness scoff and let me know how they were snaring wild game since before they could walk, this is the Northeast...you gotta drive to get to the wilderness.

So, anyway, my plan is to introduce the kids to camping and take them on a couple weekend trips.

I'm from rural PA originally, so me and my brother started camping on our own (in the woods behind our house) when I was 10 and he was 8.  It was a blast and probably one of my fondest memories of being a kid.

Anybody else start your little kids with overnight ventures in the yard?

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Did it several times, but there's only a few months you can do that in Texas without being miserable.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just bought a tent at cabela's yesterday.  I'm starting the kids (3 and 5) on camping with a backyard camping venture tonight.

Before all the woodsmen of the deep wilderness scoff and let me know how they were snaring wild game since before they could walk, this is the Northeast...you gotta drive to get to the wilderness.

So, anyway, my plan is to introduce the kids to camping and take them on a couple weekend trips.

I'm from rural PA originally, so me and my brother started camping on our own (in the woods behind our house) when I was 10 and he was 8.  It was a blast and probably one of my fondest memories of being a kid.

View Quote

Gonna start doing the same with my son- should be fun
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did it several times, but there's only a few months you can do that in Texas without being miserable.

View Quote

....or being devoured by red ants?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Taking the oldest 2 camping in the back woods next weekend. They have been asking all summer. Same ages as yours. We abut a couple hundred acres of preserve land.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those were burned by gasoline as preventative maintenance.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Heck yeah.  Mind you my property is small and very suburban but a couple times a summer I'd dig a hole in the lawn for a fire pit, set up the old three man dome tent, and cook brats and s'mores and sleep outside.  Nowadays we are doing the car-camping road trip thing.  When they are a little older I want to add hiking and backpacking.  But backyard camping is a great way to start.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Took my son tent camping the first time when he was 3 . I'm a glutton for punishment, but he's 6 now and we make it a regular thing
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is the best way.  Just in case they wake up crying or can't sleep. A quick trip back inside to sleep for them and you.

Once they can sleep overnight then its time for a woods camping trip.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Used to do it as kids all the time, my neighbor had a old tool storage shed that we converted to out clubhouseurban youth of the 70s I guess.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Going to do the same in the fall
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We bought a pop up camper last year.  Our first couple times sleeping in it were in the back yard.
View Quote

I went from a 3 man dome, to a 12 man tent, to a pop-up and now I'm in a lightweight single man hiking tent. I'm happiest with my single. Everything else was too much hassle considering the onl thing I used them for was sleeping YMMV
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Backyard is perfect.

They can learn a bunch of stuff and if things go south, head indoors.

Hell, my 15 year old scout camped in the backyard this February. He was testing his bag and pad in -20f
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Grew up in the big city and it's hard to drive a tent stake into concrete.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#16]
haha...

If I want to go camping and don't want to drive the hour or more it takes to get to the trailhead II camp in my backyard ..

Hell, summer before last I had my Kodiak Canvas 10x10 setup in the woods in the back of my house for 2-3 weeks straight..It would be my escape for after work when I didn't feel like being cooped up in the house.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I do that with my boys all the time, mostly on weekdays when we don't have the time to get away but we need a fix.
It's enough to get through the week, but we still need to get away from the house to really scratch the itch.

When the weekend comes we hit the woodline and don't come back until we all smell bad.

I'm starting a 2-year-old on camping away from home (and Mom) this summer.  It's gonna be a blast, he already has night vision and a fishing pole.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Inset up a tent in the living room a few weeks ago.
View Quote

I do this when the boys are sick or the weather is really bad.  Gas "fireplace" in the living room is a bonus... but not the real thing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to do it frequently.

It's fun and easy for little ones.

Don't bring your laptop out on a dewy night though...
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Planning on backyard camping with my 4 yo this summer. I told him last summer that we would this summer and he's been asking since spring.  I think I'll be getting the shelter halves out for the first run, then buy a pack tent for the future.

I'm planning on putting a fire in the pit to cook hot dogs and smores then once he's sleeping carrying him to bed, if he actually goes to sleep.

I may be looking forward to it more than he is.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Here your just as likely to get stepped on by a deer or rousted by a skunk in your backyard as the woods. It's nice having having 1 million acres of Nat'l forest so close

I would start with the backyard to work out the bugs, plus it's fun with kids.

ETA: a few years back when we had the del recho, there was a family that done this for a couple of nights. Power came back on and they told the kids it was still off, so for 2 more days they camped in the yard. Family time is good.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Years ago i bought a Sierra Design two person free standing tent for my two.
Had them put it up. They wore the grass out moving it around and sleeping in it.

Now, not so much. Facebook and phones takes priority.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#24]
we started our daughter in the backyard. My parents started all of us in the backyard. Growing up, there was a tent set up in the backyard quite often, either getting ready to go, or airing it out after a trip.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Inset up a tent in the living room a few weeks ago.
View Quote

I bet those tent pegs were hell on the slab.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Started my kids on private land that I managed in NE PA. Simple overnighters until I felt they could do the weekend trips. Then worked them up to trails. Then up to canoe trips on the Delaware.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#27]
My daughter first went camping when she was a year old, at a campground. Now she has been a half dozen times every year since. She likes backcountry or campgrounds, has been in a pop-up a few times but prefers a tent in the mountains. Even had a bear experiance last year and loved it. She's sttill very much a girli girl but she doesn't mind being dirty and smelling like a campfire. Loves buying and using her own fire starter and mess kit. She just turned eleven on July 1st.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Spending time with your Children is good.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We bought a pop up camper last year.  Our first couple times sleeping in it were in the back yard.
View Quote

My back yard is wooded. Sometimes, instead of hauling the camper to some distant campground, I'll set it up in the back.

Woods, wildlife, firepit...why go to some crowded campground
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Great way to go, and how my dad started me out.

On the other hand, SWMBO and I jumped right in when the little one was still only 4mo old and it was still easy -meaning she wasn't old enough to care.

Now, at five, she was looking forward to our long camping trip all year.

We don't get away for short trips as much as we should and I am tempted to put the tent up in the yard just about every weekend.

BTW, which tent did you get?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#33]
My boys are 2 and 4. I'm going to wait another year before I trying the camping thing. I can't wait.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Heck ya, My Daughter and I did that a lot.. Mom... She's more the Bed and Breakfast type... So she stayed in the house and ran the support and logistics  from Kitchen HQ.

Small fire
roast marshmallows
talk to your child about life
tell stories
Have dog sleep with you in tent

its all good..More parents should do it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I`m 61 and started camping in the back yard as a kid. My Dad would help me out , check on me etc. Today the wife and I would rather be camping somewhere than be at home. Granted we don`t "rough it" anymore but being outdoors is still being outdoors.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Absolutely. A couple dry runs with the kids is a good thing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#37]
My brother an I did a lot of backyard camping before going out camping as Boy Scouts.  Helped us a lot as far as I'm concerned.  Compared to the guys who had never been out camping, I was a seasoned pro on my first Scouts camping trip.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#38]
We have done the yard camping several times, at home and at grandparents.  Took my 5 and 3 year old on a hike in camping trip a couple of months ago.  Both insisted on carrying their own backpack, and water.  Hiked about a mile and a half in, set up next to the river.  Guess they were tired, both slept thru the night.  Great times.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Guilty, and I'm not even ashamed of it!

The first camping trip I took my kids on was in a Cabelas tent in the backyard.  Originally it was just going to be me and the boy, but my middle child (daughter) demanded that she would come along.  So she did and now both of them are hooked.

The boy is now 8 and earlier today we wrapped up Bear camp.  He wants to do some treking so we bought some tent hammocks and plan on doing a 5 miler on the Ozark trail in the fall.

Its going to be a blast!
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#40]
We used to do that when I was a boy (my friends and I).

It was fun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, did that too.  Then graduated to camping with the scouts.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm going to camp in my backyard with my 6 year old grandson this week.
It's to break him in, but also to give me a refresher !
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Overnight car camping trips at rustic state forest campgrounds for us, me, wife, son age 7, daughter age 5, daughter age 3, and son age 10 months.
Throw the tent in the utility trailer, put the canoe on top and off we go.
We can usually find somewhere that we have the campground to ourselves, and they kids can yell and scream and bang sticks together and make all the noise they want.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you run an extension cord and use a fan
Daughter and I have done it several times in backyard
But I talked about a real camp out on my 20 acres and she asked
Where do we go to the bathroom.......?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Spending time with your Children is good.
View Quote

This. Doesn't matter where.

But, I was thinking about something like this for my new 4Runner Trail.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#46]
baby steps
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#47]
You have a dog?
Make sure your tent is away from where the dog shits and pisses.

Me and my brothers used to sleep in Marine pup tents.

One night my brother woke up and asked if it was raining because there was water by his sleeping bag.

The dog had pee'd on the corner of the tent.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Sounds like a good plan op.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Backyard is perfect.

They can learn a bunch of stuff and if things go south, head indoors.

Hell, my 15 year old scout camped in the backyard this February. He was testing his bag and pad in -20f
View Quote

When I was getting the "hang" of hammock camping it was a lot better to do overnights in the yard at first. You find out real quick 40-50 degree weather in a hammock is a cold affair.

I could make needed adjustments as to warmth, fly, and such by simply going inside and getting different things to try and see how they worked.

I spent 3-4 nights doing that before I went afield with it. No issues in the field.

I would have chosen very poorly had I went out in the field with what I figured would work.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#50]
My son has asked to go camping a few times. This fall we will be testing out is new tent, and I'll be testing out my tarp and hammock setup. Gonna be good times I hope! I can't wait!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top