Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2015 2:26:47 PM EDT
Just got my invite and signed up. Should be interesting.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice, I'm 4-6 weeks out.  Already have the Nexus 6 or buying one now?
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice, I'm 4-6 weeks out.  Already have the Nexus 6 or buying one now?
View Quote

Ordered one. Had been waiting to replace my beat up iphone5 to see if this would come through.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Please followup, none of my tech circle are currently jumping on board.  Hope they add more device options down the line.  My area and travel routes look to be all heavily covered by the network map.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#5]
No unlimited internet, Ill stay on my plan. With what I use per month for two phones, it's cheaper with sprint.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Not even remotely interested.  Google has their nose way too far into my business already.  I'd do Google Fiber but I can VPN to prevent their snooping, just like I already do with FiOS.

And I'm slowly weaning myself from most Google services anyway.  Not fond of the government having a back door into my day to day doings.

For email, try protonmail.ch.  There's a signup list since it's still in beta, but it's encrypted email and it's not Gmail.

ETA
Clarification
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the heads up OP. First time I've heard of it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#10]
A couple of hiccups but its working now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
So far so good. Getting familiar with Android. Took about 10 hrs for iphone users using imessage to quit sending to my old phone instead of my cell #. Seem to be getting decent signal everywhere except my house in the valley. Ha ha..

Definitely don't do this if you expect polished service. I'm reading reports of a month or two ago and it's gotten a lot better since, but still is a "project".
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

For email, try protonmail.ch.  There's a signup list since it's still in beta, but it's encrypted email and it's not Gmail.

View Quote

Still in beta and my username is already taken!

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I got an invite, but the cost of the phone isn't worth it.

I'd save a bit on data I guess, but I'm getting 5GB on Straight Talk for $50/mo. OnePlus One.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
So, it's a cell/wifi service then?
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, it's a cell/wifi service then?
View Quote

Yes. Cell phone service that uses Sprint, T-Mobile, and wifi for calling/data.

I got an invite but didn't bother. Ting is cheaper for me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#16]
What is it? Tech and I don't get along.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Great concept. The first SkyNet? Perhaps...

I think I'll letyou guys flesh out the bugs
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got my invite. Gonna run it alongside my current phone(Verizon) for a month or two. Will setup call/text forwarding once I get it in. Also ordered a case/screen protector for the Nexus 6.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#19]
So if I understand it correctly, it's one part cell network, another part "crowdsourced" internet where you can jump on any wifi network integrated with Google Fi?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#20]
It's clearly not using Verizon.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#21]
This country is so big, all cell services suck in their own way.  Most of this stuff is made for city sheep.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Android phone working pretty good.

Tmoble and Sprint both suck here tho. That's my only bitch.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#23]
The primary reason I use Verizon is how much time I spend in the mountains, it is the only service I have found to have decent signal.  I typically can make clear voice calls when no one else can.  I can also get text messages when others show no signal at all.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Tmobile has a voice/text roaming agreement with ATT so that seems to work "ok" in a lot of places where there is no sprint or tmobile service at all.. but if it can talk at all to a home tower, even poorly, good by service.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#25]
It works great.  I'm not a huge data user and the refunded data charges got my bill under $30.  IMO just sign up for the $20 unlimited talk/ text and $10 1gig of data if you go over or need more it gets charged in $10 increments.  Remember that it's beta, but any issues you'll get Google American tech support on the phone in under a minute or on email/phone in under three.  One thing I found out two months back while setting up a transfer of my voice number is that it can take five days for that, there are different degrees of tech support, ranging from phone answerer, to very good to supervisor.  I got to the supervisor in two calls and fifteen minutes.   Had the issue sorted no problem.  As someone mentioned in the Verizon thread google just dumped a billion in soaceX I think.  Sign of things to come?  Great phone, great service.  If they cover your area its worth the wait.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So far so good. Getting familiar with Android. Took about 10 hrs for iphone users using imessage to quit sending to my old phone instead of my cell #. Seem to be getting decent signal everywhere except my house in the valley. Ha ha..

Definitely don't do this if you expect polished service. I'm reading reports of a month or two ago and it's gotten a lot better since, but still is a "project".

View Quote
If you continue to have issues with not receiving iPhone users messages let us know. There is a known issue with Apples servers not recognizing the change in phone. Apple refuses to fix it and their is an ongoing class action lawsuit. The first and easiest thing to do is have the iPhone users delete their previous conversation with you.

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you continue to have issues with not receiving iPhone users messages let us know. There is a known issue with Apples servers not recognizing the change in phone. Apple refuses to fix it and their is an ongoing class action lawsuit. The first and easiest thing to do is have the iPhone users delete their previous conversation with you.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That problem went away within a few hours.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Been to GA and back on vacation.  Been on multiple carrier towers(installed Signal Check to confirm towers), so far so good, have had calls transition from wifi to cellular, and also from one carrier to another.  Just about to finish my 1st complete cycle, very pleased so far.  Have been lugging around my Verizon Galaxy Nexus(calls fwd'd) and using Phone Leash to fwd all txts to the Nexus 6.  Going to do another cycle before I make the transition completely.

Only complaint would be I hope they put out a widget to display this current cycles data usage, android's built-in data usage and various apps to monitor data I've tried all differ from the usage reported in the Project Fi app.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#29]
It seems to use Tmobile's agreement with AT&T for cell/text when out in the boonies, so phone calls still worked pretty good. No Data tho.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been on it since 7/2 and it's been really solid for me...i've used voice over vpn'd network, wifi, and cellular and had calls transition to and from all 3 and didn't notice. I signed up for the 4gb data and haven't used anything close to that so i've been getting ~$35 credit each billing cycle.

I *love* the nexus 6. I'm 6'7" and have big hands and having a big phone has been great.

The only issue I've run into is there's no sms gateway. So I had to pick up a burner phone from tmobile to get email alerts for work.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the phone, the service and support from google.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#31]
With the 5X announcement today I've been looking into this a little more.  Still liking it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#32]
So basically what Republic Wireless is doing?
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Some days the phone service just really sucks..

Other than that, I love it. I don't carry my ipad around anymore.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#34]
So I've been getting a lot of bill collection and marketing calls on my Fi phone. Realized that it's connected to the "hidden" number google fi assigns to the SIM. There isn't any way to determine the number. The only reason I figured that out is when I called 911 the "real" number popped up during the call.

I pinged google support and they can change it (devil you know vs maybe a worse number?) but can't determine it. Without calling 911 again, there isn't any way for me to determine what number I have to add to the national DNC.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Nexus 6P arriving today.  We'll see how this goes...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top