BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 91
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To be fair the "double standard" that I see is people being so opposed to other people's faith, yet can't even conceive of someone being reasonably opposed to theirs.

It is their thinking that their faith is above an beyond the problem of charismatic leaders convincing people fantastic, unsubstantiated, mystical claims.

I did not mean to imply there was some conspiracy on the site to ban LDS members.

I suspect that the reason many people who attack christianity are banned/warned is that there is a certain portion of that religious population on this site who reports things at the drop of a had.

Mods aren't coming by reporting things for you...if you think Christians are attacking Mormonism too much, pull a card from their playbook and report them. FSM knows they've done it to me in the past.

Me personally? I've only reported 1, maybe 2 people for personal attacks in the past. Never reported anyone for attacking someone else's opinion (and religion is nothing more than an opinion).  You can be that guy if you want, call the "special protected opinion that you can't make fun of" police.  Have at it, its not my bag.

If you don't, realize nothing will likely happen. No warnings. No locks. Nothing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a clear-cut double-standard, and your own posts reveal it...

Extractr identified it.

Shane identified it.

I identified it.

Fatalerror identified it.

I am not in the wrong for pointing it out...

Why would I want to hit the report button, and be told that I should be ashamed, and told that I was trying to arock someone? Why would an LDS arfcommer be that stupid? Hitting the report button only got Dogface perma-banned...

there is no double standard.

theology criticism and bashing of religious leaders was going on from both sides and got no one locked.

his meltdown of direct insults to other members is what got him in trouble.

To be fair the "double standard" that I see is people being so opposed to other people's faith, yet can't even conceive of someone being reasonably opposed to theirs.

It is their thinking that their faith is above an beyond the problem of charismatic leaders convincing people fantastic, unsubstantiated, mystical claims.

I did not mean to imply there was some conspiracy on the site to ban LDS members.

I suspect that the reason many people who attack christianity are banned/warned is that there is a certain portion of that religious population on this site who reports things at the drop of a had.

Mods aren't coming by reporting things for you...if you think Christians are attacking Mormonism too much, pull a card from their playbook and report them. FSM knows they've done it to me in the past.

Me personally? I've only reported 1, maybe 2 people for personal attacks in the past. Never reported anyone for attacking someone else's opinion (and religion is nothing more than an opinion).  You can be that guy if you want, call the "special protected opinion that you can't make fun of" police.  Have at it, its not my bag.

If you don't, realize nothing will likely happen. No warnings. No locks. Nothing.

I'm beginning to think you're a closet Mormon.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
YAP YAP YAP.

Do you even know the context in which that was spoken.  Have you ever even read 2 Cor. 11, when Paul was boasting?   I guess that makes Paul just like Joseph Smith.

In the original context, Joseph was facing intense persecution by many people, including some he had previously considered to be his friends. The statement about "boasting" was made about a month before he was killed. He made it after reading 2 Corinthians 11: to the congregation. Note the following statement by Paul, in this scripture:

Paul: "let no one think me foolish; but if you do, receive me even as foolish, that I also may boast a little"

Again I say, let no one think me foolish; but if you do, receive me even as foolish, that I also may boast a little. That which I am speaking, I am not speaking it as the Lord would, but as in foolishness, in this confidence of boasting. Since many boast according to the flesh, I will boast also. For you, being so wise, bear the foolish gladly. (2 Corinthians 11:16-19)

Paul then launches into a literary tirade where he claims many things to make himself look the fool, to contrast himself with those who the Corinthians were listening to for their words of salvation, instead of to him. His words were meant to compare and contrast what the Saints at Corinth were doing against what he was offering.

Nice to see you leave out the other part of Joseph's statement right after reading this chapter of Paul's to the congregation:

"My object is to let you know that I am right here on the spot where I intend to stay. I, like Paul, have been in perils, and oftener than anyone in this generation. As Paul boasted, I have suffered more than Paul did, I should be like a fish out of water, if I were out of persecutions. Perhaps my brethren think it requires all this to keep me humble. The Lord has constituted me curiously that I glory in persecution. I am not nearly so humble as if I were not persecuted. If oppression will make a wise man mad, much more a fool. If they want a beardless boy to whip all the world, I will get on the top of a mountain and crow like a rooster: I shall always beat them. When facts are proved, truth and innocence will prevail at last. My enemies are no philosophers: they think that when they have my spoke under, they will keep me down; but for the fools, I will hold on and fly over them."
Perhaps M-1975 is unaware of Paul's advice? Or perhaps he  applies a double standard where Paul is allowed such literary and rhetorical license, but Joseph is not?

Such double standards are, sadly, the stock-in-trade of critics like him.

In short, Joseph is using the scripture in Paul as a counter-argument (or a rhetorical device)--he is responding to his critics, and demonstrating that (as with Paul) true messengers from God are often persecuted by those who should listen, while the false and apostate are praised.
Just another sidenote about the source they are using.  The history of the church is not a primary source.  It is complied from accounts of people that were there, but is not 100% accurate.

It worth saying that in the general reliability of the History of the Church, in view of the way it was put together, it is not the overall thrust or narrative that is likely to be inaccurate, but the nuances, the tone, the details. This is precisely the opposite problem from that which anti-Mormon critics would have us see in it: they think the overall story of the History incorrect (e.g. divine intervention, revelation, Joseph Smith's prophetic calling, etc.), but they want us to accept the details of tone and mood that it furnishes—or at least they do when those details seem to put the Prophet in a bad light.

It's amusing that the very same people who vehemently reject the History of the Church as an unreliable source when it seems to support the LDS position clutch it to their bosoms as an unparalleled historical treasure when they think they can use it as a weapon against the alleged errors of Mormonism.

Just more hypocrisy and deception from LDS critics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But nearly 10 years ago, my father renounced Mormonism as a non-Christian cult.

That wasn't me that said that; it was a quote from a man who asked the LDS church to cease and desist using his father's name to lend credibility to the BoM.  

ETA:

"I have more to boast of than any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet... When they can get rid of me, the devil will also go." - Joseph Smith, History of the Church, Vol.6, pp. 408-09.

He lived 32 days after that quote, BTW.

YAP YAP YAP.

Do you even know the context in which that was spoken.  Have you ever even read 2 Cor. 11, when Paul was boasting?   I guess that makes Paul just like Joseph Smith.

In the original context, Joseph was facing intense persecution by many people, including some he had previously considered to be his friends. The statement about "boasting" was made about a month before he was killed. He made it after reading 2 Corinthians 11: to the congregation. Note the following statement by Paul, in this scripture:

Paul: "let no one think me foolish; but if you do, receive me even as foolish, that I also may boast a little"

Again I say, let no one think me foolish; but if you do, receive me even as foolish, that I also may boast a little. That which I am speaking, I am not speaking it as the Lord would, but as in foolishness, in this confidence of boasting. Since many boast according to the flesh, I will boast also. For you, being so wise, bear the foolish gladly. (2 Corinthians 11:16-19)

Paul then launches into a literary tirade where he claims many things to make himself look the fool, to contrast himself with those who the Corinthians were listening to for their words of salvation, instead of to him. His words were meant to compare and contrast what the Saints at Corinth were doing against what he was offering.

Nice to see you leave out the other part of Joseph's statement right after reading this chapter of Paul's to the congregation:

"My object is to let you know that I am right here on the spot where I intend to stay. I, like Paul, have been in perils, and oftener than anyone in this generation. As Paul boasted, I have suffered more than Paul did, I should be like a fish out of water, if I were out of persecutions. Perhaps my brethren think it requires all this to keep me humble. The Lord has constituted me curiously that I glory in persecution. I am not nearly so humble as if I were not persecuted. If oppression will make a wise man mad, much more a fool. If they want a beardless boy to whip all the world, I will get on the top of a mountain and crow like a rooster: I shall always beat them. When facts are proved, truth and innocence will prevail at last. My enemies are no philosophers: they think that when they have my spoke under, they will keep me down; but for the fools, I will hold on and fly over them."
Perhaps M-1975 is unaware of Paul's advice? Or perhaps he  applies a double standard where Paul is allowed such literary and rhetorical license, but Joseph is not?

Such double standards are, sadly, the stock-in-trade of critics like him.

In short, Joseph is using the scripture in Paul as a counter-argument (or a rhetorical device)--he is responding to his critics, and demonstrating that (as with Paul) true messengers from God are often persecuted by those who should listen, while the false and apostate are praised.
Just another sidenote about the source they are using.  The history of the church is not a primary source.  It is complied from accounts of people that were there, but is not 100% accurate.

It worth saying that in the general reliability of the History of the Church, in view of the way it was put together, it is not the overall thrust or narrative that is likely to be inaccurate, but the nuances, the tone, the details. This is precisely the opposite problem from that which anti-Mormon critics would have us see in it: they think the overall story of the History incorrect (e.g. divine intervention, revelation, Joseph Smith's prophetic calling, etc.), but they want us to accept the details of tone and mood that it furnishes—or at least they do when those details seem to put the Prophet in a bad light.

It's amusing that the very same people who vehemently reject the History of the Church as an unreliable source when it seems to support the LDS position clutch it to their bosoms as an unparalleled historical treasure when they think they can use it as a weapon against the alleged errors of Mormonism.

Just more hypocrisy and deception from LDS critics.
Yeah, because Paul's boasting about the Lord is totally like Smith boasting he's better than the Lord.

You might pay attention to this part of 1 Cor. 11:

2 But what I am doing I will continue to do, so that I may cut off opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be [e]regarded just as we are in the matter about which they are boasting. 13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds.

And yeah, LDS publications are okay when they prove your point but not when they work against it? I don't think so.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a clear-cut double-standard, and your own posts reveal it...

Extractr identified it.

Shane identified it.

I identified it.

Fatalerror identified it.

I am not in the wrong for pointing it out...

Why would I want to hit the report button, and be told that I should be ashamed, and told that I was trying to arock someone? Why would an LDS arfcommer be that stupid? Hitting the report button only got Dogface perma-banned...

there is no double standard.

theology criticism and bashing of religious leaders was going on from both sides and got no one locked.

his meltdown of direct insults to other members is what got him in trouble.

Damn, wouldn't that be ironic...after all the shit i've said against religion over the years.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Juni, Goatboy said to email him or pm him to explain any inconsistencies in his tacked thread, perhaps he could give you the answers you seek regarding the interpretation of the COC.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There was no double standard.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There was no double standard.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I see a transparent double-standard...

I see a clear-cut double-standard...

Quoted:

I am pretty sure that calling a religion a "cult" is a violation of the COC.  

Quoted:
He was a sexual predator on par with many cult leaders.

Definitely a double-standard.

That is not to say that Dogface didn't leave the reservation...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
if you think Christians are attacking Mormonism too much, pull a card from their playbook and report them. FSM knows they've done it to me in the past.

View Quote

I don't know.

The reaction Dogface got when he made the mistake of doing what *they* do and hitting the *report* button was epic...

He was told that he should be ashamed. He was told he was trying to arock someone.

Its different for us...

They circle the wagons. We get hung out to dry.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]
If I ever meet G*d, I just want to ask...

"What the fuck?"
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Of course it's ok for the apostles, they walked and talked with Jesus. Smith married little girls and made up a story. A bit of a difference I would say. You can't compare the two. .
View Quote

There are significant similarities...

And there is tremendous evidence... More than enough for those who believe the LDS Church is the restored original Church. Never be enough for those who point to the corruption of Constantine, and Constantine's creeds.

You were asked if you had *any* primary source that provides information that he consummated his relationship with any of the women he was married to... Didn't do it pages ago. Doubt you will do it now.

But polygamy was practiced in the Bible, and it does not bother me that Smith/Young/etc practiced it last century.

Kimball was the youngest girl that Smith married. She said that Smith never touched her. She lived to old-age. Said that Smith never touched her.

You are going to have to do better...

I had neighbors in Colorado who got married when he returned from Korea, and she was 14. Stalwarts of the community. Had a quiver-full of kids, who all became successful. She was the elementary school secretary for years. She influenced all the kids who lived in the community. Getting married after you own a house, and have a full-time job is a modern concept. My neighbors? Attended a community Christian Church. They were good people.

The pagans back in early-Christian days were accused by the Roman pagans (before the church was united by a Roman pagan) of being a "cult." They were accused of making-up a story...

Let go of your angst. Visit a LDS Chapel. Read a Book of Mormon.

If only to be more-informed. I have attended other Churches. Done it a lot. It is always positive.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Its different for us...

View Quote

I think you're being paranoid.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Damn, wouldn't that be ironic...after all the shit i've said against religion over the years.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#11]
If you opened your Bible and read it, instead of using it for a paper weight, you'd already have your answer !
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Me?

And... Shane?

And... Extractr...?

Independently we all came to the *same* conclusion...?

I have seen it dozens of times. Not just in this thread.

And... To be clear... I *honestly* thoroughly and completely enjoy positive back-and-forths.

I *honestly* like being asked questions that make me look. Honestly. I *like* it. I *enjoy* it... I *hate* when threads get like this... The stupid he-said, he-sad BS... It is all BS.

I do not like that. Not even a little. Hate it.

But the double-standard is transparent. It is crystal-clear. First thread the clandestine Temple videos were posted in. Never seen the *repeated* accusations against LDS arfcommers of following a (their words) "sexual predator." Never seen the repeated and constant "cult" taunts. Never seen it like this... The mods had done better jobs in the past of regulating the haters... And it wasn't just the mods... They regulated themselves pretty good in the past.

But I do not *want* anyone banned or reported... But extractr, Shane all coming to the *same* conclusion? I didn't tell Shane to write this... I didn't have a gun to his head...

Quoted:

A sad reminder why such discussions have to be handled carefully. Those who call the LDS Church a "cult" and other such terms in a derogatory manner will probably get away with it. Respond in a similar manner and we stand to lose. Be careful to avoid getting trolled.

Extractr:

Quoted:

There is stuff going both ways.  The LDS critics on here make claims, like "how can someone follow a sexual deviant or a cult like that".  That would fit #6 perfectly.  They are insulting that person and their beliefs in an attempt to elicit a negative response.

Yeah... It is just *me* being paranoid...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Back to questions....does the LD s church consider drinking a sin? I know you refrain.  If it is a sin, what is the reason LDS members can sponsor an open bar at my company meetings? They do not drink, but pay for everyone else to.  And the Mariott I ate at tonight had a bar.  Now some Baptist consider drinking a sin, and I'd ask them the same if they bought everyone a round. So no picking here.  I do not consider drinking a sin in moderation. But have no problem if people chose not to drink.
View Quote

I do not drink...

The Church teaches a "Law of Health." We abstain from alcohol... Link

Link

I have buddies from work who drink...

My dad was a good man, a good LDS leader, and a VN vet who told stories of "buying beers" for buddies he fought with. I do the same for buddies from work on special occasions... I have bought my fair share of beers for my friends...

Never even had a sip my entire life...

Over-indulgence is where you will find the "sin." We avoid that by not even touching it...

But we have our fair share of problems, ourselves. I have a buddy who is LDS who struggles with an alcohol addiction. He will struggle his entire life... And staying completely-sober is a *daily* struggle for him... But he is a very-strong LDS leader... And a good man... Like someone already posted... We are not a museum for perfect-people... We are a hospital for those who need help.

I have never touched it or had a sip... And the links above will give you some more information...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Juni, Goatboy said to email him or pm him to explain any inconsistencies in his tacked thread, perhaps he could give you the answers you seek regarding the interpretation of the COC.
View Quote

Dogface left the reservation, I am not going to argue that... I *personally* regret not seeing it, and I/Ming him...

And on introspection, I have *zero* desire for blood. I have *zero* desire to push anyone, or report anyone.

I enjoy arfcom. I enjoy a good debate. Honestly.

I have said all I want to say on the lopsided way things were dealt with in this thread. I stand by what I wrote.

Just keep your hits above-the-belt folks... Don't leave the reservation... And I have no desire to report anyone... Or have any interaction with site staff. I mind my own business, and should have not let the he-said, he-said BS bother me...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You obviously have a high opinion of humans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make fun out of it all you want, but at the end of the argument, you have to decide of you are interested in following God or something else; that is, are you really willing to pick up that cross and follow Him?

If what's written in the Bible is true, God is a sadistic, baby killing, torturer and mass murderer, who foments wars between various groups of humans.

And Jesus was so petty and vindictive as to destroy a fig tree because it didn't have any fruit on its branches at a time when he was hungry.

Why would anyone wish to "follow" such a diety?

You obviously have a high opinion of humans.

I don't know what makes you think that. My opinion of humans is about as high as my opinion of the God portrayed in the Bible. Both Man and the Biblical God exhibit the same types of behavior.
So much that you think we are owed things by our creator?

Huh? Where did you see anything remotely like that in what I wrote?
All that God does is for His Glory and purpose.

Please enlighten me as to how God murdering countless numbers of defenseless men, women, and children are actions which enhance "His Glory."
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because a deity who becomes a man in order to reconcile the wrongs with their own life is a deity that is contrary to what you try to portray Him as.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make fun out of it all you want, but at the end of the argument, you have to decide of you are interested in following God or something else; that is, are you really willing to pick up that cross and follow Him?

If what's written in the Bible is true, God is a sadistic, baby killing, torturer and mass murderer, who foments wars between various groups of humans.

And Jesus was so petty and vindictive as to destroy a fig tree because it didn't have any fruit on its branches at a time when he was hungry.

Because a deity who becomes a man in order to reconcile the wrongs with their own life is a deity that is contrary to what you try to portray Him as.

It is not me who portrays God thusly. It is the Bible which says God did all of those heinous acts, and more.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#17]
[
Please give me your definition of murder.
I'll submit that it is the unlawful taking of life.
Since all have sinned against God.  Romans 3:23
And since the wages of sin is death Romans 6:23
It is not murder.  It is killing. And it is just.  Read my previous post from Romans.

If you do not believe the Bible, you do not believe in the Christian God.  Therefore you don't believe that God killed anyone, because you don't believe the bible.  If you Do believe that God killed these people, you believe it because the bible said so.  Therefore you understand that it is justified. Not trying to be snarky, just pointing out that we understand that God never murdered.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It is not me who portrays God thusly. It is the Bible which says God did all of those heinous acts, and more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your criticism of the fig tree is a huge stretch, and you don't even understand what was going on in that passage. If that's any indication, you haven't bothered to really investigate what was going on in other passages you condemn as well.

I think you need to do a little research before you try and condemn God.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Your criticism of the fig tree is a huge stretch, and you don't even understand what was going on in that passage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your criticism of the fig tree is a huge stretch, and you don't even understand what was going on in that passage.

It's not a "huge stretch" at all, and the meaning is quite clear. Jesus was pissed because he couldn't get breakfast when he wanted it, so he lost his temper and vented his rage on a poor tree whose only "offense" was that figs were not in season.

Mark 11

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.”

20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!”

Any rational person would view that act as petty and vindictive, not to mention a little nuts. Although I can certainly empathize with Jesus in that situation -- if I have to go without breakfast, I tend to get a bit cranky, too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Dogface left the reservation, I am not going to argue that... I *personally* regret not seeing it, and I/Ming him...

And on introspection, I have *zero* desire for blood. I have *zero* desire to push anyone, or report anyone.

I have said all I want to say on the lopsided way things were dealt with in this thread. I stand by what I wrote.

Just keep your hits above-the-belt folks... Don't leave the reservation... And I have no desire to report anyone... Or have any interaction with site staff. I mind my own business, and should have not let the he-said, he-said BS bother me...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried to tell him he was off the chain way back.

I think I used the term un- Christlike.

I don't think I called your religion a cult at any time.

This is gd not the religion forum, so a thicker skin may be needed. Claiming what mainstream Christians believe to be tainted by a pagan carries it's own implications and is equally offensive as using the term cult to me, but you don't hear me whining about that because I know what I know.

Dogface got banned for personal attacks/abusive language. Now you're pissed cause it seems unfair but no one else took it to that level. He was wrong, get over it.

Also you did mention that being called a cult was a compliment several times, so which is it......?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's not a "huge stretch" at all, and the meaning is quite clear. Jesus was pissed because he couldn't get breakfast when he wanted it, so he lost his temper and vented his rage on a poor tree whose only "offense" was that figs were not in season.

Mark 11

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.”

20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!”

Any rational person would view that act as petty and vindictive, not to mention a little nuts. Although I can certainly empathize with Jesus in that situation -- if I have to go without breakfast, I tend to get a bit cranky, too.
View Quote

Shirly - shirly you can't be serious? Can I call you shirly?

I thought school was back in session?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark 11

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again.”

20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!”

The fig tree story was a parable about judgement and Israel. Jesus could create any food he wanted if he was hungry but only did that stuff as teaching moments. ymmv

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Claiming what mainstream Christians believe to be tainted by a pagan carries it's own implications and is equally offensive as using the term cult to me, but you don't hear me whining about that because I know what I know.

Dogface got banned for personal attacks/abusive language. Now you're pissed cause it seems unfair but no one else took it to that level. He was wrong, get over it.

Also you did mention that being called a cult was a compliment several times, so which is it......?
View Quote

exactly! these guys can't see that they did the same shit and also weren't banned. there was no double standard. the mods didn't see ridiculing theology and historical religious figures as a coc violation. and you know they looked because dogface was hitting the report button on anyone who disagreed with him.

he boot the boot for the meltdown / attacks on other members.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its different for us...

It's the victim card.  

Why defend something that is indefensible?  

If someone wants to be LDS, then great by all means go be a member as that is our rights protected in this country.  Had Joseph Smith lived in any other country in the 19th Century his idea would have never gotten off the ground.  With that said, why defend it?  When a thread like this starts if any comments are made then just ignore them.  No one then becomes the victim, no one gets banned.  

Fact:  The LDS church cannot be defended by any historical evidence because it doesn't exist.  The LDS church spends a lot of money buying up historical evidence that disproves the Book of Mormon/LDS religion.   Maybe the LDS Church should ignore the naysayers on a much larger level, is that why some feel the need to defend it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:10:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Had Joseph Smith lived in any other country in the 19th Century his idea would have never gotten off the ground.  With that said, why defend it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its different for us...

Had Joseph Smith lived in any other country in the 19th Century his idea would have never gotten off the ground.  With that said, why defend it?

How ironic.  We believe that is the reason God set up this country.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I tried to tell him he was off the chain way back.

I think I used the term un- Christlike.

I don't think I called your religion a cult at any time.

This is gd not the religion forum, so a thicker skin may be needed. Claiming what mainstream Christians believe to be tainted by a pagan carries it's own implications and is equally offensive as using the term cult to me, but you don't hear me whining about that because I know what I know.

View Quote

Being called a cult today is considered a universally offensive term toward a religion and those that follow it, there really is not an argument there. Calling Constantine a pagan offensive? you really got to stretch for that as pagan is not generally used to offend and is a pretty well known fact that he was indeed a pagan.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
]Yeah, because Paul's boasting about the Lord is totally like Smith boasting he's better than the Lord.  

2 But what I am doing I will continue to do, so that I may cut off opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be [e]regarded just as we are in the matter about which they are boasting. 13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will be according to their deeds.

Wow, that describes the LDS critics on here perfectly.  Thanks for the link.

And yeah, LDS publications are okay when they prove your point but not when they work against it? I don't think so.
View Quote

You need to remember you are not reading a primary source.  The history of the church like the journal of discourses is not an official LDS publication.   The speech you are quoting from was recreated after his death.   But I'm sure you will still push it as a primary source.

At the start of the page you are quoting it tells where it came from:
"The following synopsis was reported by Mr. Thos. Bullock, clerk of the steamer, Maid of Iowa."

So it is simply a synopsis that was recreated.  Hearsay.  

Did Joseph supervise this entry? No. The last years of his entries in the History of the Church were actually made by others after his death. It was common at the time for other authors to write as if someone else was speaking. So, these are not Joseph's words--they are the words which others (who admired him enormously after his murder) put in his mouth.

This point is vitally important to keep in mind when trying to assess the character of Joseph Smith, his moral and spiritual quality, through the so-called "Documentary History." Even when it seems to have Joseph Smith speaking in the first person, the History of the Church may or may not actually be representing Joseph Smith's actual voice. (Dean Jessee's "Preface" to his collection of The Personal Writings of Joseph Smith specifically addresses the issue of the seeming egotism that entered into Joseph's later statements which was quite foreign to the man himself--this came not because Joseph suddenly became egotistical, but because the voice we hear is no longer Joseph's: it is the work of scribes following his death. They felt comfortable "praising" Joseph in ways which he would probably not have used.)

The impression which one gets of Joseph Smith from reading his authenticated personal statements is that of a humble and sincere man, struggling to do the will of God as he understood it.

We can see this from a primary source of his, a handwritten letter to his wife:

"I will try to be contented with my lot, knowing that God is my friend. In him I shall find comfort. I have given my life into his hands. I am prepared to go at his call. I desire to be with Christ. I count not my life dear to me [except] to do his will."

But if you are still bent on claiming history of the church as "Joseph's actual words", here is another statement of his from earlier, when he was downplaying that being a prophet, somehow made him better.

"I do not think there have been many good men on the earth since the days of Adam; but there was one good man and his name was Jesus. Many persons think a prophet must be a great deal better than anybody else....I do not want you to think that I am very righteous, for I am not."

Even non-LDS scholors recognized his humble nature.

"By any measurement, Joseph Smith was a remarkable person. His combination of organizational acumen with spiritual originality and personal decorum and modesty is rare in the history of religion. He was so steadfast in his ability to inspire men and women through times of great hardship that none of those who knew him could claim to fully understand him. He knew more about theology and philosophy than it was reasonable for anyone in his position to know, as if he were dipping into the deep, collective unconsciousness of Christianity with a very long pen. For someone so charismatic, he was exceptionally humble, even ordinary, and he delegated authority with the wisdom of a man looking far into the future for the well-being of his followers. "

Stephen H. Webb, Jesus Christ, Eternal God: Heavenly Flesh and the Metaphysics of Matter (Oxford University Press, 2012)
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's the victim card.  

If someone wants to be LDS, then great by all means go be a member as that is our rights protected in this country.  Had Joseph Smith lived in any other country in the 19th Century his idea would have never gotten off the ground.  With that said, why defend it?  When a thread like this starts if any comments are made then just ignore them.  No one then becomes the victim, no one gets banned.  

Fact:  The LDS church cannot be defended by any historical evidence because it doesn't exist.  The LDS church spends a lot of money buying up historical evidence that disproves the Book of Mormon/LDS religion.   Maybe the LDS Church should ignore the naysayers on a much larger level, is that why some feel the need to defend it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its different for us...

It's the victim card.  

You realize the hypocrisy in your argument right?

There is also actually very little historical evidence for the Bible.   There have been many cases where science and other evidences contradict Bible accounts.  If you tried to defend the Bible in a courtroom and try and prove it as true,  you would fail miserably.  

There is actually very little to no physical evidence Jesus even existed.   Just second hand accounts of those that professed a belief in him.  

To believe either takes faith.

Essentially you are saying:

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:02:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In my view, the intentional killing of a defenseless human being is murder, whether done by Man or God.
It is not murder.  It is killing. And it is just.

According to that rationale, all newborn babies -- and even those still in the womb -- are so evil they deserve to be mercilessly slaughtered by God. If you truly believe it's perfectly okay for God to kill babies, then I guess we have considerably different ideas of right and wrong.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The fig tree story was a parable about judgement and Israel. Jesus could create any food he wanted if he was hungry but only did that stuff as teaching moments. ymmv  
View Quote

Where do you get the notion that the fig tree story is a parable? A parable is a fictitious tale, but the fig tree story is not told as fiction. Rather, it is related as an actual event in the life of Jesus.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:10:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mark 11

Only if you use my full name: Shirly Yewjesst
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:41:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In my view, the intentional killing of a defenseless human being is murder, whether done by Man or God.

According to that rationale, all newborn babies -- and even those still in the womb -- are so evil they deserve to be mercilessly slaughtered by God. If you truly believe it's perfectly okay for God to kill babies, then I guess we have considerably different ideas of right and wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not murder.  It is killing. And it is just.

If a condemned man is strapped to the electric chair and excecuted is that murder? He is defenseless...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I don't know.

The reaction Dogface got when he made the mistake of doing what *they* do and hitting the *report* button was epic...

He was told that he should be ashamed. He was told he was trying to arock someone.

Its different for us...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

if you think Christians are attacking Mormonism too much, pull a card from their playbook and report them. FSM knows they've done it to me in the past.

I don't know.

Its different for us...

Well, I can't say I read all the posts he made, but from the snippets I read, I could see he was pushing the line.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's the victim card.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its different for us...

It's the victim card.  

Fact is, no church can be defended by historical evidence, given the proper time span.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Fact is, no church can be defended by historical evidence, given the proper time span.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its different for us...

It's the victim card.  

Yep, there is no historical evidence for the supernatural claims of the bible either. The only source for that information is the bible itself.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its different for us...

Just for you guys huh, that would make me feel special,separate, chosen....like a snowflake. That's one of the ways those types of organizations work, create a unique ideology that separates and implies superiority.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Claiming what mainstream Christians believe to be tainted by a pagan carries it's own implications and is equally offensive as using the term cult to me, but you don't hear me whining about that because I know what I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How *anyone* can possibly think they can talk about the "trinity" and the concept that was put to paper in the early-creeds...

And not talk about the pagan Constantine...

That is beyond me. Honestly.

Quoted:

Nobody is arguing that Dogface left the reservation...

Quoted:

Considering that the Roman pagans abused the early-church as a "cult" before they were able to unite the church under their leadership under Constantine...  Yes, within that historical context, it is absolutely a compliment...

But per O_P, it is also a COC violation...

Quoted:

The point is that Dogface was banned for violating the COC, but antagonists towards LDS arfcommers and LDS beliefs violated it as well...

That was my point.

I consider it a compliment, because I understand history... I guess whoever implemented the COC, and made the call that it was a COC violation does not understand history. That is out of my hands...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

exactly! these guys can't see that they did the same shit and also weren't banned. there was no double standard. the mods didn't see ridiculing theology and historical religious figures as a coc violation. and you know they looked because dogface was hitting the report button on anyone who disagreed with him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I guess my point is that before this thread, Smith wasn't considered a "historical figure."

He was considered a "religious leader."

That "moving the goalposts" is what I am talking about.

This thread did indeed represent the *first* time the clandestine Temple Videos were posted. The *first* time there were *multiple* attacks against LDS arfcommers for following a pedophile... As for being COC violations, I don't *really* care... But it surprised me that there had been a shift... The double-standard is transparent and obvious... And not just to me.

Me: Constantine was a politician who wanted political-control, and he was a pagan. He united the church under his leadership for political control. There is evil, political intrigue, and lots of murder, sin, and sex in the post-creed church. That is all a historical fact.

Antagonists: Smith was a child molester. Just like some of the leaders of the post-creed church.

Me: Show me where any *primary* source verifies your claim about Smith. My claims are all verified.

Antagonist: Cultist.

Yeah, the goalposts were moved. And arguing against historical-fact with name-calling is bad argument. And in this thread antagonists towards the LDS Church did it *all* the time... Constantly.

I didn't invent the COC. But it was O_P who identified that it was a COC violation, not me...

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's the victim card.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's the victim card.  

Nope. Not playing the victim card.

Don't want to see *anyone* banned. Don't want to see anyone effected.

Dogface left the reservation. The problem? He wasn't the only one (per O_P) who violated the COC.

That was my point.

Quoted:

This post is indefensible. I can prove-it-false even from non-Mormon and even anti-Mormon sources...

Quoted:
Made the west habitable?  The west was habitable before the Mormons showed up.  

Yet, instead of thanking the man that guided the LDS to this place in the west, the valley he claimed as his own, the Mormons tried to kill him and burned down his trading post twice.

Your false statements can *easily* be disproven by non-Mormon and even anti-Mormon sources. The vast irrigation of the arid high-desert of the Great Basin is well-documented. Even in the anti-Mormon SL Trib.

Young was the legally-appointed Governor of the territory of Utah and he received a *legal* arrest-warrant for Bridger for selling guns to hostile Natives. That is well-documented in non-Mormon and even anti-Mormon sources, including the SL Trib.

And you left-out the fact that non-Mormon and anti-Mormon sources can be shown where the LDS Church legally-purchased the trading post from Bridger. And it was only burned-down (after the LDS Church owned it) in an act of war...

Indefensible?

Seriously... Indefensible?

Your post is indefensible... The arid high-desert of the arid Great Basin (your words) "habitable" *prior* to the vast irrigation systems of the early-Mormons... Laughable.

Your post is anti-Mormon drivel.

Quoted:

Yep.

This is *Gods* Country...

This is the only place it could have *possibly* started. We believe the Founding Fathers were inspired by God to include religious liberties in the Constitution...

That is not to say that the early-LDS-History does not show tremendous abuse against the LDS Church, especially in Missouri.

Quoted:

The LDS Church can be defended... Easily.

There is more than enough "evidence" for those with faith.

There will never be enough "evidence" for those who have no faith.

I see tremendous similarities and "evidence" between the Latter-Day Church, and the pre-creed Church led by the Apostles. *They* worshipped in Temples. We do the same. *They* had the authority to write scripture. We claim the same authority. Tremendous evidence.

I don't think the LDS Church purchases "historical evidence" that disproves the Book of Mormon... The LDS Church has several museums, so purchasing historical artifacts are not out of the question. The majority of the materials are donated and-or been in Church possession for a hundred years or more. There is nothing nefarious about preserving artifacts...

Defending the LDS Church? I guess I do not understand where you are coming from? Not meet lies against our religion with truth...

That is all I have tried to do in this thread... Meet lies with truth.

*You* lied about the arid high-desert conditions of the dry "Great Basin" in the inter-mountain West. Your lies were met with truth... The saints established vast, vast irrigation canals and systems and diverted water to grow crops where all that existed before was desert... It is well-documented, and can be proven as absolute-fact from non-Mormon, university, government, and even anti-Mormon sources...

*Your* absolute-lie was met with truth.

Should your bonafide lie not have been met with truth? There was zero-basis in fact. It wasn't even a "half-truth." I guess you could say that the statement of the LDS Church burning the Fort was a half-truth. They burned the Fort, but they *owned* it...

So... Your *absolute* lie... And your half-truth... Should they have not been met with truth and accuracy? Should they have been ignored?

Honestly?

Honest question...?-?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.

Link

Link

This is Gods Country. We believe that the Founding Fathers were divinely-inspired.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Well, I need a shovel to get out of this thread.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote

Your issue is that you fail to understand that many speaches attributed to Smith were written after his death. Some times a *long* time after his death.

You have to look into the source to determine if you are actually reading Smiths words (as he wrote them, and *he* verified them).

Or... In some cases, folks wrote something attributed to Smith --after his death--

If it was not written by Smith... Then it is a *secondary* source.

Your integrity issue is that you will cite a source that *we* know the history of... And the history of it is available to *all*... And *we* know it is a ***Secondary*** source...

The History of the Church is a *secondary* source for Smith's words for the parts that were written *after* his death... The quote about Smith "bragging" like Paul... Is attributed in HOTC as a *secondary* source. It even says who wrote it after Smith's death... It gives the guys name, (Thomas Bullock) and the year. It wasn't written by Smith, and it was written after Smiths death.

*We* have done our homework.

*You* have not, and you refuse to do it. I even linked to the HOTC to prove you were wrong.

If you cite a *secondary* source, and claim it as a *primary* source... People might begin to question your integrity and your motives...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There is also actually very little historical evidence for the Bible.   There have been many cases where science and other evidences contradict Bible accounts.  If you tried to defend the Bible in a courtroom and try and prove it as true,  you would fail miserably.  

There is actually very little to no physical evidence Jesus even existed.   Just second hand accounts of those that professed a belief in him.  

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll109/osudds53/1547243_zpsixftf4li.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its different for us...

It's the victim card.  

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll109/osudds53/1547243_zpsixftf4li.jpg

Hypocrisy?  

You may want to check and see where I have defend the bible.   If you want to go down that road, sure let's go down it.  

As I already stated, You all are defending something that is indefensible.   The Book of Mormon is a made up pack of lies created by a con-artist.  Sorry, nothing more.   If you want to worship make believe stuff, more power to you.  With that said, don't insult others intelligence that can see it is all a big sham.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
]Well, I can't say I read all the posts he made, but from the snippets I read, I could see he was pushing the line.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
]Well, I can't say I read all the posts he made, but from the snippets I read, I could see he was pushing the line.

It is hard to defend Dogface, looking back. He definitely left the reservation...

But... The goalposts got moved...

Quoted:
]What about COC #1?

"Posting derogatory comments of a racial, religious, or sexual nature. This includes your username, signature line, title and subject lines of threads.
  • Profanity is not allowed in the subject line of threads.
  • Site Staff and Moderators reserve the right to edit these items and to remove your ability to modify them in the future."

Sorry, if what you were saying is true, then Koran toilet paper would have been an acceptable thing to post, and its not, and it got someone banned over it.

O_P, I think you're dead wrong on this one.

ETA::I just recalled another member who god banned for posting a video making fun of christian theology.

O_P, You are definitely incorrect.

ETA2::I got a warning once for equating the theological concept of god with an imaginary friend and the reason cited was COC#1.

If that falls under COC#1, saying "XYZ religious theology is stupid" surely does. Anyone who said similar things in this thread probably will get an account warning, if not this time, they will eventually.  Poster beware.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:03:29 AM EDT
    [#45]
    Quoted:
    [
    It is not murder.  It is killing. And it is just.  Read my previous post from Romans.

If you do not believe the Bible, you do not believe in the Christian God.  Therefore you don't believe that God killed anyone, because you don't believe the bible.  If you Do believe that God killed these people, you believe it because the bible said so.  Therefore you understand that it is justified. Not trying to be snarky, just pointing out that we understand that God never murdered.
    View Quote

WTF!
    Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:04:07 AM EDT
    [#46]
    Quoted:
    Yep, there is no historical evidence for the supernatural claims of the bible either. The only source for that information is the bible itself.

View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Believing the Bible, and the teachings of the Bible takes *faith.*

No matter what kind of spin folks want to put on it... Believing takes *faith.*

Believing Smith, the Book of Mormon and the LDS Church takes *faith.*

It is an absolutely weak and weak-sauce argument to say, "The Bible is absolute-fact, and those Mormons have to take their religious beliefs on exclusively faith."

The truth... It *all* needs to be taken with *faith.* And spiritual things must be understood spiritually... 1 Cor 2: 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
    Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:08:49 AM EDT
    [#47]
    Quoted:

Just for you guys huh, that would make me feel special,separate, chosen....like a snowflake. That's one of the ways those types of organizations work, create a unique ideology that separates and implies superiority.
    View Quote

We do believe that the Founding Fathers were inspired by God. Yes.

We believe we are Gods-chosen. Yes.

We have His Temples.

We have His authority.

We have His truth and are His Church. Yes.

1 Peter 2:9  9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Link

Link

Link

Link
    Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:15:15 AM EDT
    [#48]
    Quoted:
    Well, I need a shovel to get out of this thread.
    View Quote

Come, on...

Answer the question.

You wrote that the LDS Church should not defend itself against lies.

I posted one of the absolute-lies that *you* had written about the LDS Church.

***YOU*** wrote that the arid high-desert Great Basin that the Saints settled-in was habitable *prior* the vast and extreme network of irrigation canals and systems.

I outed you and your lie...

So the question stands...

Why lie? And why should the LDS Church not respond to lies and false criticisms?

*Honest* question posed to you... Please answer it.

You got yourself caught in a lie. Now answer the question...
    Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:16:57 AM EDT
    [#49]

Quoted:
    You need to remember you are not reading a primary source.  The history of the church like the journal of discourses is not an official LDS publication.   The speech you are quoting from was recreated after his death.   But I'm sure you will still push it as a primary source.

"The following synopsis was reported by Mr. Thos. Bullock, clerk of the steamer, Maid of Iowa."

Did Joseph supervise this entry? No. The last years of his entries in the History of the Church were actually made by others after his death. It was common at the time for other authors to write as if someone else was speaking. So, these are not Joseph's words--they are the words which others (who admired him enormously after his murder) put in his mouth.

This point is vitally important to keep in mind when trying to assess the character of Joseph Smith, his moral and spiritual quality, through the so-called "Documentary History." Even when it seems to have Joseph Smith speaking in the first person, the History of the Church may or may not actually be representing Joseph Smith's actual voice. (Dean Jessee's "Preface" to his collection of The Personal Writings of Joseph Smith specifically addresses the issue of the seeming egotism that entered into Joseph's later statements which was quite foreign to the man himself--this came not because Joseph suddenly became egotistical, but because the voice we hear is no longer Joseph's: it is the work of scribes following his death. They felt comfortable "praising" Joseph in ways which he would probably not have used.)

The impression which one gets of Joseph Smith from reading his authenticated personal statements is that of a humble and sincere man, struggling to do the will of God as he understood it.

"I will try to be contented with my lot, knowing that God is my friend. In him I shall find comfort. I have given my life into his hands. I am prepared to go at his call. I desire to be with Christ. I count not my life dear to me [except] to do his will."

But if you are still bent on claiming history of the church as "Joseph's actual words", here is another statement of his from earlier, when he was downplaying that being a prophet, somehow made him better.

"I do not think there have been many good men on the earth since the days of Adam; but there was one good man and his name was Jesus. Many persons think a prophet must be a great deal better than anybody else....I do not want you to think that I am very righteous, for I am not."

"By any measurement, Joseph Smith was a remarkable person. His combination of organizational acumen with spiritual originality and personal decorum and modesty is rare in the history of religion. He was so steadfast in his ability to inspire men and women through times of great hardship that none of those who knew him could claim to fully understand him. He knew more about theology and philosophy than it was reasonable for anyone in his position to know, as if he were dipping into the deep, collective unconsciousness of Christianity with a very long pen. For someone so charismatic, he was exceptionally humble, even ordinary, and he delegated authority with the wisdom of a man looking far into the future for the well-being of his followers. "

Stephen H. Webb, Jesus Christ, Eternal God: Heavenly Flesh and the Metaphysics of Matter (Oxford University Press, 2012)
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:

Quoted:

]Yeah, because Paul's boasting about the Lord is totally like Smith boasting he's better than the Lord.  

Wow, that describes the LDS critics on here perfectly.  Thanks for the link.

Aaaand back to the argument that LDS historical publications aren't trustworthy enough to be quoted from. Really, if you can't trust LDS publications about their prophet then how can you trust anything they publish?

As far as Smith's humility, that was destroyed when he placed himself above Jesus, married other men's wives, excommunicated members, and destroyed a printing press for speaking out against him.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:18:03 AM EDT
    [#50]
    Quoted:

As I already stated, You all are defending something that is indefensible.  
    View Quote

Why did you write that the arid high-desert of the dry Great Basin was "habitable" *prior* to the vast, vast irrigation systems and canals built by the early Mormon settlers?

Honest question.

Answer the question.
    Page / 91
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top