Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2015 2:07:09 AM EDT
Hi,

I'm totally new and with a help of a friend I have my first AR-15. I got this http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/15199/category/313/ kit from palmetto state armory. I want to change the hand rail. I have two questions.

1. free float or 2-piece

2. Has anyone used quad rails from monstrumtactical.com?

I don't want to spend to much as this is on first AR-15, it's definitely not my last.

thanks!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:14:22 AM EDT
[#2]
ALG Defense. They're made by Geissele. Some of the best rails for the money. Don't get a quad rail. Too much weight and you won't even use 3/4 of the rail space.

http://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-emr-v3-m-lok.html

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:15:27 AM EDT
[#3]
1. I like freefloat though 99% of people including me will never notice the difference.

2. Very poor shill attempt, you should of put more effort in to it. On the VERY minute chance you aren't shilling, those are cheap Chinese rails, avoid.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:16:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try the tech forum.

www.ar15.com/forums/b/3_AR_15.html
View Quote

Yep, and good luck, dude. There are lots of low cost options that are made very well. Be safe and get out and shoot it!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:19:03 AM EDT
[#5]
U dont want 2 piece. The biggest benefit of an upgraded handguard is the improvement in accuracy from freefloating the barrel. I like samson personally. No reason to do the quadrail either modular is way better.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:21:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
U dont want 2 piece. The biggest benefit of an upgraded handguard is the improvement in accuracy from freefloating the barrel. I like samson personally. No reason to do the quadrail either modular is way better.
View Quote

Samson for the win
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:23:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Midwest Industries makes a nice 2 piece free float rail at a pretty reasonable price.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:43:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I think one of the worst mistakes an AR owner can make is to try to customize their rifles before actually getting to know the rifle. OP, buy some ammo and shoot the hell out of it then decide what you really want to change. Hell, I started off doing the same thing with my first AR and now it's back to being a simple 20" rifle with standard hand guards and a carry handle.
Now, with that said, I would free float it. Midwest industries, Yankee Hill Manufacturing, and ALG are three great places to start.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:46:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know these answers then you likely won't realize any accuracy difference between free float and non anyway. And a $120 KAC rail with covers off the EE is a hell of a nice upgrade for the money.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:57:13 AM EDT
[#10]
You guys are quick, thank you your suggestions. I'm going to save a bit more and get something with better quality.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:21:39 AM EDT
[#11]
If you want something free float and drop-in, Strike Industries makes a 7" rail and a 12.5" extended rail that will fit around your FSB without changing parts around.

Although ALG is probably the best quality for the money if you don't mind changing out your barrel nut and gas block.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:38:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I am very pleased with these handguards from Yankee Hill: http://yhm.net/accessories/forearms/two-piece-ar-15-handguards.html

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:45:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you want something free float and drop-in, Strike Industries makes a 7" rail and a 12.5" extended rail that will fit around your FSB without changing parts around.

Although ALG is probably the best quality for the money if you don't mind changing out your barrel nut and gas block.

View Quote

Hell, he could just cut his fsb/gas block. He will need to remove it to install the barrel nut though. The barrel nut needs to be timed but it's easy, the instructions are good.

Can't beat the ALG rail for the money imho
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top