Posted: 7/8/2015 1:23:29 AM EDT
True or false?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
True or false?
View Quote

False.

Companies that do not produce anything, but only buys patents to sue the shit out of people are evil though.  That is NOT the way the founders intended for it to work, and it does stifle innovation.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:25:54 AM EDT
[#2]
You  spend all of your time and money developing something new. As soon as your product comes out, some other guy copies it and undercuts your price because he didn't need to spend all of that money on R&D.

I'm sure people will just be chomping at the bit to innovate.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
True or false?
View Quote

True.  Typically, patents are another form of government enforced price control.  They frequently serve to impoverish the general population.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:28:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

True.  Typically, patents are another form of government enforced price control.  They frequently serve to impoverish the general population.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

You must really like communism. Everything belongs to the people, comrade!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

Ideas are not property.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:32:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ideas are not property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

Ideas are not property.

If you're not going to profit off of your ideas, why would anyone bother to come up with them?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:33:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ideas are not property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

Ideas are not property.

Inventions are more tangible than ideas, comrade.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:33:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ideas are not property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

Ideas are not property.

The Founding Fathers say you are wrong.

Article I, Sec. 8:
The Congress shall have Power... To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:34:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ideas are not property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

Ideas are not property.

You just moved the goal posts.

Are you talking about what the founders thought in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution?  Or are you talking about how patents are issued today?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:35:53 AM EDT
[#10]
The Electronic Frontier Foundation is the modern NRA for innovators.  The answer you seek lies among them....especially their 'stupid patent of the month' column....
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:39:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you're not going to profit off of your ideas, why would anyone bother to come up with them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

Ideas are not property.

That is irrelevant to the question, but for the sake of conversation I will point to the abundance of open source software.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:40:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I know of one company that patented shooting a clay brick with a laser... and actively protected their patent by attacking people who did laser engraving services for such.

How they got that patent is beyond me.   The idea of shooting a clay brick with a laser seems to fit the exception regarding what would be obvious to anyone skilled in that industry/art.

There's all kinds of dumb shit like that in the patent office.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:43:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Are you talking about what the founders thought in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution?  Or are you talking about how patents are issued today?
View Quote

Just the basic principle.  Why can't I buy a widget or observe a process, reverse engineer it, and then sell it myself?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:44:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Explicitly approved of in the US Constitution, so not FSA.

"To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;"
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:45:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just the basic principle.  Why can't I buy a widget or observe a process, reverse engineer it, and then sell it myself?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would anyone spend money on R&D if any dude with a chemistry set and a garage can then copy it?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:46:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:50:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because that would make you an idiotic, thieving, uncreative, useless, bottom feeding magpie who shits where you eat. Oh yeah and a potential criminal if you violate patent or trademark law. An FSA fuckhead with the motivation to copy someone else's good idea.

Oh wait, just noticed where you call home. Never mind. Organize a community while you're off stealing other people's blood, sweat, tears and capital.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:51:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Because that would make you an idiotic, thieving, uncreative, useless, bottom feeding magpie who shits where you eat. Oh yeah and a potential criminal if you violate patent or trademark law. An FSA fuckhead with the motivation to copy someone else's good idea.

Oh wait, just noticed where you call home. Never mind. Organize a community while you're off stealing other people's blood, sweat, tears and capital.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:52:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ideas are not property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

Ideas are not property.

And you have no grasp on economic reality.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:55:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had a couple of original thoughts I had to defend, so yeah hot button.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:56:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Trade me your account, on ar15.com, for a 10 pound  bag of grass-seed.

Now tell me what owning intellectual property is worth?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:57:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Ideas are not property.
View Quote

Ideas can be intellectual property and protected by trademark, copyright, and/or patents

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:57:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Its easy to harp on the patent system, especially with little understanding how the application system works or the avenues to invalidate "bad" patents.  Patent lawsuits are remarkably down and IPR procedures invalidate close to 90% of the claims at issue.  Would you rather have more rigorous patent application procedures (spending significantly more money  on the front end) or be able to take care of "bad" patents later.  And there is no requirement to file an application, its a business decision.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You  spend all of your time and money developing something new. As soon as your product comes out, some other guy copies it and undercuts your price because he didn't need to spend all of that money on R&D.

View Quote

Typically, the way it really works is that someone spends a lot of time and money patenting something new - Time and money that could be better spent actually getting the product on the market.

After the patent is issued, the grantee sits back and waits for The Big Bucks to start rolling in - Confident in the belief that no one else can introduce a similar product.

After a while, the grantee is dismayed to discover that a patent is simply a license to litigate against potential infringers - It does not (1.) generate any revenue on its own, (2.) reduce the amount of money spent in court defending the patent against an infringer, (3.) ensure that the grantee will actually prevail in court, (4.) guarantee that damages in a favorable ruling will actually be collected, (5.) guarantee that other litigation against other potential infringers won't be required in the future.

You could argue that patents are an impediment to innovation, because of the amount of time and money they require to obtain and protect in court.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:07:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Typically, the way it really works is that someone spends a lot of time and money patenting something new - Time and money that could be better spent actually getting the product on the market.

After the patent is issued, the grantee sits back and waits for The Big Bucks to start rolling in - Confident in the belief that no one else can introduce a similar product.

After a while, the grantee is dismayed to discover that a patent is simply a license to litigate against potential infringers - It does not (1.) generate any revenue on its own, (2.) reduce the amount of money spent in court defending the patent against an infringer, (3.) ensure that the grantee will actually prevail in court, (4.) guarantee that damages in a favorable ruling will actually be collected, (5.) guarantee that other litigation against other potential infringers won't be required in the future.

You could argue that patents are an impediment to innovation, because of the amount of time and money they require to obtain and protect in court.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disagree...

Patents create better products. I reverse engineer your shitty phone that has a few features I like. I recreate it, give it a new skin and a different brain with the tech I had in mind. Voila! Now, it is your turn...

Patents are the exact reason, that you have so many options when making purchases on consumer grade equipment
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:11:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this illustrates the misunderstanding of the patent system.  A patent only give the right to exclude others.  It does not guarantee big bucks or that no one will introduce a competing product.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:11:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Completely false. The idea that promoting innovation by protecting someone's inventions is 'FSA' makes my brain numb.
Fewer people are going to invest in R&D when someone is just going to copy their product and undercut their prices because they didn't incur the development costs.
This is macro gentleman.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:14:33 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Lol no, you can't.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:15:39 AM EDT
[#29]
There is way too much bullshit involved with "intellectual property protections".
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Lol no, you can't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol no, you can't.

The idea of copyleft is righteous and meritorious.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:23:24 AM EDT
[#31]
True. Patents are FSA. Trademarks and copyrights are not.

There's no denying that patents can inspire innovation, but at what cost? Justifying patents by saying companies who spend a lot of money on R&D deserve protection is FSA at its core. It shouldn't be about innovation in the world of ideas as it should be bringing those ideas to market. Because if a great idea doesn't come to market, who exactly is benefiting? And it's in the market where competition takes care of the chumps.

People are always complaining about lack of jobs. Maybe that's because much of the research for some of these sectors is consolidated into a handful of companies who have the cash to compete. Compare it to something like the software communities where hundreds of people all contribute to a project. Sure, Apple might spend $1 billion designing the next revolutionary product and come to market with it in 2 years with the protections of patents. Without patents it might take us 20 years to achieve a comparable product but with the participation of far more people. And as we're seeing now, it's difficult to innovate in some sectors once you hit the theoretical peak. So yeah, you can get your awesome product in 2 years with patents and all the money goes to one company, but then for the rest of eternity we're stuck with the same lack of innovation because there's no incentive for smaller companies to compete against the juggernaut who has a monopoly on the market.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:29:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
True. Patents are FSA. Trademarks and copyrights are not.

There's no denying that patents can inspire innovation, but at what cost? Justifying patents by saying companies who spend a lot of money on R&D deserve protection is FSA at its core. It shouldn't be about innovation in the world of ideas as it should be bringing those ideas to market. Because if a great idea doesn't come to market, who exactly is benefiting? And it's in the market where competition takes care of the chumps.

People are always complaining about lack of jobs. Maybe that's because much of the research for some of these sectors is consolidated into a handful of companies who have the cash to compete. Compare it to something like the software communities where hundreds of people all contribute to a project. Sure, Apple might spend $1 billion designing the next revolutionary product and come to market with it in 2 years with the protections of patents. Without patents it might take us 20 years to achieve a comparable product but with the participation of far more people. And as we're seeing now, it's difficult to innovate in some sectors once you hit the theoretical peak. So yeah, you can get your awesome product in 2 years with patents and all the money goes to one company, but then for the rest of eternity we're stuck with the same lack of innovation because there's no incentive for smaller companies to compete against the juggernaut who has a monopoly on the market.
View Quote

You chose Apple for your example? You might as well use Lockheed... closed systems, bro.

I don't see Samsung resigned to ONE new product every 2 years.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:33:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Article I, Sec. 8:
The Congress shall have Power... To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

Ideas are not property.

Article I, Sec. 8:

Patents aren't the FSA.  they expire in 20 years.  But see that line above?  See how they basically include science & arts and Writings & Discoveries as basically the same thing?  Yea, Copyright laws, now that's some serious FSA.  Copywrite laws were written of/by/for the publishers - and exist for way way longer than 20 years, and costs nothing to copyright.  That's some serious FSA there.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:42:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

And this illustrates the misunderstanding of the patent system. A patent only give the right to exclude others.  It does not guarantee big bucks or that no one will introduce a competing product.
View Quote

It doesn't even give you that right.

It gives you the "right" to haul others into court, expending huge amounts of money and time in the hope of (1.) winning your infringement case. (2.) actually collecting damages, and (3.) dissuading anyone else from also infringing on your patent.

It is a license to litigate - Nothing more.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:00:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It gives you the "right" to haul others into court, expending huge amounts of money and time in the hope of (1.) winning your infringement case. (2.) actually collecting damages, and (3.) dissuading anyone else from also infringing on your patent.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this illustrates the misunderstanding of the patent system. A patent only give the right to exclude others.  It does not guarantee big bucks or that no one will introduce a competing product.

Gibe me a break, virtually all patent scholars agree that they system provides a right to exclude, that doesn't preclude litigation.  Rarely do cases go to trial, attorneys fees are much more available after Octane, and there is no good way to  quantify how many individuals decide to avoid an issued patent.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:07:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
True or false?
View Quote

False. Please stay in Illinois.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:23:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:54:05 AM EDT
[#38]
I'll take "Things That Are False" for $100, Alex.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:59:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ideas are not property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

Ideas are not property.

I'm sure that makes sense to someone who has never had an original idea in their miserable life.

"You can't like, own an idea man, ideas are for the world, we all need to share them".

If your assertion was true then the Chinese would be awesome at innovating instead of making knockoffs of Western products.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:02:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ideas are not property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

Ideas are not property.

Tell the founders that. They seemed to disagree.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:03:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Patents?

Pay for a membership then maybe we'll talk.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:09:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

False.

Companies that do not produce anything, but only buys patents to sue the shit out of people are evil though.  That is NOT the way the founders intended for it to work, and it does stifle innovation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

False.

The most NPEs (non-practicing entities), what people call trolls, are not doing frivolous lawsuits or cease and desist letters, but will be screwed by the new patent reforms being considered.

If you look at most of the companies driving the move toward these "reforms," they are monoliths that don't like the idea of being required to license a technology they used in conjunction with their products.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:31:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Patents are great. Our current patent system has some issues, however.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:43:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Are we playing "spot the commie"? 'Cause I think this is hunting over bait.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because then you'd be Chinese.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True or false?

But.... FREE MARKET!  Obviously, patents prevent people from competing and making the same product cheaper, which would benefit us all, right?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUT, they are improving on the production process and making it cheaper.... or simply not taking as much of a product margin. Soooo.... Ayn Rand and all that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

BUT, they are improving on the production process and making it cheaper.... or simply not taking as much of a product margin. Soooo.... Ayn Rand and all that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, you know how I know you don't know fuck all about Ayn Rand and Objectivism?

You think Ayn Rand didn't believe in intellectual property, that's how.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:14:31 AM EDT
[#49]
You are joking right?

If not..........FALSE!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right there, we have the answer that we all were going to eventually get too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top