Who has the best value?

Styling isn't that important to me
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
apmex I would guess
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#2]
You consider $15 to be low?  

I bought silver years ago, it was around $5.  I kept it for at least 5-6 years, finally gave up and sold it because it didn't go up at all.  Sure enough, 2-3 years later it starts going up

There's still plenty of room for it to go down.  I wouldn't get near it in this volatile time.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Silver.com has best prices on Rounds.  You can use comparesiverprices.com to find the better prices on a number of silver items.

Edit on phone sorry not hot links
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought silver years ago, it was around $5.  I kept it for at least 5-6 years, finally gave up and sold it because it didn't go up at all.  Sure enough, 2-3 years later it starts going up

There's still plenty of room for it to go down
.  I wouldn't get near it in this volatile time.

View Quote

Plenty of room for it to go up.

I predict $40 an oz before we're all dead.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There's still plenty of room for it to go down.  I wouldn't get near it in this volatile time.

View Quote

LOL!  Yes I consider it to be low given the state of worldwide affairs.  I remember $45/ oz not too long ago.

I also remember when a silver dollar was worth $1  
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it can go down to $0 or up to infinity.  Looks like there's more room up than down to me.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LOL!  Yes I consider it to be low given the state of worldwide affairs.  I remember $45/ oz not too long ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its been dropping like a rock for several years, and its not done yet.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

it can go down to $0 or up to infinity.  Looks like there's more room up than down to me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
You understand how investing works?  No.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like Silvertowne has the lowest delivered prices on basic rounds and bars.

Some say price is going up and some say it is crashing    

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

yes, I do

and I like silvertowne for generic
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Looks like Silvertowne has the lowest delivered prices on basic rounds and bars.

View Quote
Can you link it up?  I see people post this but I can't find where the cheap stuff is on their site.  Silver.com seems to be cheaper to me??

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had good luck with JM Bullion.  Plus free shipping.

www.jmbullion.com
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Buy firearms and ammunition, or put your money into something that pays.

If you MUST buy silver, please buy 100 ounce bars or larger.  You get fleeced when you buy small quantities at retail.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:12:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I want to buy a bunch of these and go round talking like a pirate
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can you link it up?  I see people post this but I can't find where the cheap stuff is on their site.  Silver.com seems to be cheaper to me??  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on what you are buying, how you are paying and shipping prices.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Hard to say what the next day will hold for prices. Could tank another dollar or two or it could go up. The whole Greece situation has the precious metals market at some low prices at the moment.

How much silver were you thinking on buying? 10oz, 100oz?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hard to say what the next day will hold for prices. Could tank another dollar or two or it could go up. The whole Greece situation has the precious metals market at some low prices at the moment.

How much silver were you thinking on buying? 10oz, 100oz?
View Quote

Maybe 5-10 oz for each kid.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you MUST buy silver, please buy 100 ounce bars or larger.  You get fleeced when you buy small quantities at retail.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I happen to like:

Provident Metals
JMBullion
APMEX
Silvertowne
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Yesterday, I Bought some Silver Maple Leafs from Provident for around $19 each, shipped with a credit card.

I paid a premium for something more recognizable.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#25]
meh, fuck that noise
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Good place, I live close by.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Silver buyers make me think of those po-dunk trailer park people who buy Beanie Babies and Furbys in hopes that they are worth something one day, because the can't afford the more expensive stuff with more returns
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Silver buyers make me think of those po-dunk trailer park people who buy Beanie Babies and Furbys in hopes that they are worth something one day, because the can't afford the more expensive stuff with more returns
View Quote

Or, you know, people aren't just looking for a "return" and want to diversify holdings...

How's your Beanie Baby collection going by the way?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL

Silver has had intrinsic value since ancient times and will continue to have value in the future.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol, what a crappy mindset!  Pardon the rest of us while you keep buying gold by the pallet!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I buy 10-20 ASE's per year and give them as gifts to the kids.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#33]
The "Price" of silver may continue to go down, but the premium will remain on most products. The spot "price" of silver may go down to $10, but good luck finding a roll of mercury dimes for under $13, or an silver eagle for under $17. The spot price is controlled by the paper silver market. Physical prices are different.

Will you be able to get any coins or bars at $10 spot? Maybe. I won't be selling mine for that price.

Demand has been outgrowing supply for many years now. There are large reserves that have been depleted more and more each year. Remember Industrial demand is half the demand of silver every year.

It's only a matter of time until reserves run out. Demand is growing because people want real money and real things of value.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go ahead and laugh yourself sore, but look at the numbers.
Frankly anyone who can't invest $1,500 or more should not be bothering with precious metals, other than jewelry or trinkets to use as gifts.  The retail markup on smaller amounts is ridiculous if you look at it as a percentage.
Another thing to consider is sales tax, which varies greatly by state.  Some states charge sales tax on all coin and bullion purchases, some charge none, some have a limit over which a transaction is exempt.  (In California that happens to be $1,500.)
http://thecoinologist.com/sales-tax-state-by-state-breakdown/
Know what you are getting into before investing in ANYTHING.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Precious metal discussions in GD are some of my favorite threads..   It's a smorgasbord of herp derp for everyone!
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The "Price" of silver may continue to go down, but the premium will remain on most products. The spot "price" of silver may go down to $10, but good luck finding a roll of mercury dimes for under $13, or an silver eagle for under $17. The spot price is controlled by the paper silver market. Physical prices are different.

Will you be able to get any coins or bars at $10 spot? Maybe. I won't be selling mine for that price.

Demand has been outgrowing supply for many years now. There are large reserves that have been depleted more and more each year. Remember Industrial demand is half the demand of silver every year.

It's only a matter of time until reserves run out. Demand is growing because people want real money and real things of value.
View Quote

Thumb up ( we need more tags )

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

American Eagles will never go down to $0.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#39]
I love GD PM threads.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Frankly anyone who can't invest $1,500 or more should not be bothering with precious metals, other than jewelry or trinkets to use as gifts.  The retail markup on smaller amounts is ridiculous if you look at it as a percentage.

Another thing to consider is sales tax, which varies greatly by state.  Some states charge sales tax on all coin and bullion purchases, some charge none, some have a limit over which a transaction is exempt.  (In California that happens to be $1,500.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silvertowne charges no tax to me and many products ship free. Considering this, markup above spot is reasonable. I buy 1 oz and 5 oz bars every month and nowhere near $1500 a purchase. It's about dollar cost averaging. I'm in it for the long run as insurance and a hedge.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Start by reading this thread

Pro tip....stay away from 100oz bars
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
LOL
Silver has had intrinsic value since ancient times and will continue to have value in the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

At one point in time, so was Aluminum.

In 2008, Rhodium was ~$10k an once.

Gonna suck hard if Silver falls to $5-1 an once.

Gold was $1600 an once a few years ago.

To say Silver isn't an investment is stupid. It just sits there in hopes to keep you cushy when/if the dollar drops in value, and hope your precious silver is worth the same.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Someone doesn't understand the time value of money.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#44]
1,000 ounce Comex delivery bars or nothing
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I buy 40-100 ounces a month, the best prices I have found are at Monarch or ebay with ebay only use apmex or mcm or one of the bigger companies. Usually you get better prices on sat or sun.
For me it is mostly for long term plus I can turn it around quickly if I need to, I buy more when it goes down and have never bought when it was above 18. I sold off most of what I had a couple years ago when it jumped up above $32 to pay for my daughters schooling. The jump happened at the right time for me sence I had paidless than 10 for most of what I had at that time.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#46]
I want silver because it is shiney  
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I want silver because it is shiney  
View Quote

This to.. I like shiney... Shiney new guns,ammo and silver... Shiney is good.. Plus it help when you can make some money of it...
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Found some junk silver locally for $17/oz.  Mostly rounds of people who aren't cool.  

Fo?

Well respected dealer charging me $15.69 and the state is hitting me with sales tax  

Silver.com saves me $5 total on the 16.50 oz the dealer has but I can put my hands on these today
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Add in your state tax and buy what's cheaper
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Found some junk silver locally for $17/oz.  Mostly rounds of people who aren't cool.  

Fo?

Well respected dealer charging me $15.69 and the state is hitting me with sales tax  

Silver.com saves me $5 total on the 16.50 oz the dealer has but I can put my hands on these today
View Quote

That is high, Buy online and have it in a few days.
Not worth more to just have it now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top