Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 7/7/2015 7:56:57 PM EDT
Preface being I'm in my mid 20s, no debt ever except for a $23k truck note four years ago and my current house. I make between 60-85k a year. I want to buy a new F150. I want to finance $41k of it. My credit union will only finance 35k, and that was after rejecting their initial 25k offer. The reason? My last auto note was only 23k and I haven't worked my way up. If I had another note in there, say 35k, they would have approved me, but a $18k jump is just too much.

I have the liquidity to just buy the truck but that's besides the point.

/woe is me thread.

ETA for the "your story is bogus" crowd- see page 5.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

View Quote

then I find it tough to believe that they wouldn't finance it... especially being a homeowner

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Preface being I'm in my mid 20s, no debt ever except for a $23k truck note four years ago and my current house. I make between 60-85k a year. I want to buy a new F150. I want to finance $41k of it. My credit union will only finance 35k, and that was after rejecting their initial 25k offer. The reason? My last auto note was only 23k and I haven't worked my way up. If I had another note in there, say 35k, they would have approved me, but a $18k jump is just too much.

/woe is me thread.
View Quote

You don't play the game the way they want you to so they don't want to give you their money.

Their money,  their rules.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
That sucks!!!

I waited to long to get credit cards and use credit to buy things.  I paid cash for stuff thinking it was the responsible thing to do(no credit cards, and cheap used vehicles).  I could not get a loan to buy a more expensive car at 27 as I did not have enough credit history.  Luckily my parents were willing to co-sign.  Once that was done, I have not had any issues.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

then I find it tough to believe that they wouldn't finance it... especially being a homeowner

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Ford will finance me at some outrageous rate and give me $1000 off the truck to do it, but not my CU that I've been dealing with for 4 years. I guess they see that money and want me to use some of it? Or are stuck that I'd be going from a 23k auto loan to a 41k. Who knows.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Exactly. Ford will finance me at some outrageous rate and give me $1000 off the truck to do it, but not my CU that I've been dealing with for 4 years. I guess they see that money and want me to use some of it? Or are stuck that I'd be going from a 23k auto loan to a 41k. Who knows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious, what rate is Ford offering you?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Credit union doesn't want to see you screwed over on the too high truck price,,maybe idk
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4.9% for 60+ is the base rate according to the sales guy.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe they just don't like fords?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
you say you have the cash to buy the truck outright, so why not just put enough down to get you to the $35k your CU has you capped at?  it doesnt seem too hard to understand why a bank would be leery of giving someone your age, with a light credit history, $41k
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got 1.79% for four years with $1500 off my Fiesta ST.

They knocked it down without me even asking, just to match my Credit Union's rates (which I told them)

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
you say you have the cash to buy the truck outright, so why not just put enough down to get you to the $35k your CU has you capped at?  it doesnt seem too hard to understand why a bank would be leery of giving someone your age, with a light credit history, $41k
View Quote

Because I'll be reimbursed for the truck through work and it doesn't make sense to put 6k down. Time value of money and all that. Looks like what I will need to do though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#12]

The reward for not having debt is not having debt.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Credit can be really stupid at times. I have an Acura lease on a $40,000 car and finance an Acura through them as well for $27,000. I also have some low credit limit cards and always pay everything in time, but can't get approved for a decent card at all. Just doesn't make sense sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]

I got 1.79% for four years with $1500 off my Fiesta ST.

They knocked it down without me even asking, just to match my Credit Union's rates (which I told them)

View Quote

This.  Ford can do much better than they are offering.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm willing to bet you they'll drop the shit out of the interest rate (assuming you have stellar credit) if you tell them you'd 'rather go through ford than the credit union'.  I got a 1.5% loan for 60 months a couple years ago when the original offer was 4.5%.  Someone will play ball - even if it's not ford it'll be chevy.  

I notice you're in texas. I have a spectacular sales guy if you want his name - he'll hook you up and even bring the truck to you.  You won't even have to go into the dealership to sign the paperwork.  Just tell him exactly what you're looking for (and tell him if you found it at another lot) or have him order it.  It's the best damn way to shop for a truck..
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm willing to bet you they'll drop the shit out of the interest rate (assuming you have stellar credit) if you tell them you'd 'rather go through ford than the credit union'.  I got a 1.5% loan for 60 months a couple years ago when the original offer was 4.5%.  Someone will play ball - even if it's not ford it'll be chevy.  

I notice you're in texas. I have a spectacular sales guy if you want his name - he'll hook you up and even bring the truck to you.  You won't even have to go into the dealership to sign the paperwork.  Just tell him exactly what you're looking for (and tell him if you found it at another lot) or have him order it.  It's the best damn way to shop for a truck..
View Quote

Houston area?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I find that hard to believe, unless your income doesn't support the debt load. Underwriting looks at the amount in regards to that, your debt to income ratio. It has nothing to do with going from one amount to the other "on your record." Someone is bullshitting you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Credit can be really stupid at times. I have an Acura lease on a $40,000 car and finance an Acura through them as well for $27,000. I also have some low credit limit cards and always pay everything in time, but can't get approved for a decent card at all. Just doesn't make sense sometimes.
View Quote

Are you asking to have your limits raised on your current cards or applying for new ones?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Somethings not right
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I find that hard to believe, unless your income doesn't support the debt load. Underwriting looks at the amount in regards to that, your debt to income ratio. It has nothing to do with going from one amount to the other "on your record." Someone is bullshitting you.
View Quote

Absolutely true, I bank(have done so for the past 25+ years) at a small locally owned bank that doesn't report to the credit agency's.

I can call THEM on the phone, tell them I need $75K to purchase some equip, bank president says " write the check , come in within the next week we'll have the paperwork ready for you to sign".
Done it several times in the last 10 years.

Yet I can't get a home refi, from any other lender - as I don't have a credit rating
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Preface being I'm in my mid 20s, no debt ever except for a $23k truck note four years ago and my current house. I make between 60-85k a year. I want to buy a new F150. I want to finance $41k of it. My credit union will only finance 35k, and that was after rejecting their initial 25k offer.
View Quote

How much of your monthly take home goes out with the mortgage?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#22]
How much does an F150 cost if you need to finance 41k of it?

That seems like a lot of coin for a half ton.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Can we get the specs on this truck please? You may be overpaying on the front side.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

/woe is me thread.
View Quote

I have only ever bought vehicles in cash.

Loans are for those bad at math.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep truck prices are foolish these days. Especially diesels. I have an 07 duramax I paid 27k for new and the same thing now is in the 50s.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a problem qualifying for my mortgage because I didn't use credit for years. I ended up getting a loan using things like my utilities an cell phone bill to establish payment history but I got a shitty rate despite no debt load, stable employment, and a very comfortable living for my area.

It sucks but it's their shitty game and their shitty rules.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The prices on trucks these days are crazy.  The new F150 Platinums have hit $60k+ sticker price.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/woe is me thread.

Statements like that are for those who think they are good with money.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The prices on trucks these days are crazy.  The new F150 Platinums have hit $60k+ sticker price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To hell with that. I just bought a one ton diesel for 6 grand and put about 2k more into it. Runs and drives like a low miles vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Current FICO score?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Somethings not right
View Quote
Yep somethings fucky , we are not getting full story here

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#32]
past credit history?

definitely something does not add up.

Plus making 60-85 is a huge variance in income. Is your job commission based?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd probably take my business and accounts elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I like the Ramsey rule. You can buy a new car, provided you can pay for it with cash and have $1,000,000 left over in your bank account. Otherwise I look for the sweet spot of depreciation -- 5 years old 75K miles. Works every time.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Have you tried another credit union or bank? How about another Ford dealer?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Last year I paid off $70k in student loans, a mortgage, and a truck. The result was a 125pt hit to my credit score.   It's a fucking racket.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

/woe is me thread.
View Quote

It's the bank's way of telling you that you're fucking mentally unstable for wanting to pay $40K+ fucking dollars for a fucking FORD pickup truck, dude.  
Be glad that they did you a favor.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#38]
What are your FICO scores?

I was in my late 20s and after I had fixed my finances, my FICO scores from all 3 CRAs was 785+. I was making around $30k and 2 different credit unions approved me for a $40k loan with no previous loans.

What credit union, I would try another.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

No kidding. Better than half your yearly income for a fucking truck?

That's some crazy priorities, but whatever makes you happy.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

/woe is me thread.
View Quote

I'm with ya OP.

When I bought my first "adult car" in 2010 I was told something similar.

I just bought it outright lol, only reason I wanted to finance was to build credit
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

/woe is me thread.

Yep

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Who did you talk to at the CU?

Mine tried that and I asked to talk to the senior loan office, got the he's tied up so told them to close my account, I want all my money in cash please.

Bam VP was there, got my loan at a lower rate than the dealer.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/woe is me thread.

Do this math:

You pay 80k for a BMW 550i in cash.

I finance an 80k 550i with BMWNA for 24 months at 0.9%apr
I put that 80k in an investment account and make an average of 1.8% per month selling puts. My top margina effectivel tax rate is 46%.

Who wins?

Hint:Failure to understand leverage isn't being financially smart no matter what Dave Ramsey told you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#44]
a new truck cost 41k?  A F150?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Here's the result of me not having any debt.
A FICO score of 814 and what's hurting it:

The largest credit limit on open bankcard or revolving account is too low.

AND

Total of all balances on open bankcards and revolving accounts is too high.

I have no balance on anything, I have no debt.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
a new truck cost 41k?  A F150?
View Quote

Fully optioned top trim ford's sticker over 60k. I agree, it's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted: My top margina effectivel tax rate is 46%.

View Quote

What kind of sick sexual fantasy is this?  

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Here's the result of me not having any debt.A FICO score of 814 and what's hurting it:

AND

View Quote

They're reporting the amounts due and % of limit. Get your limits raised and the problem goes away. I have the same problem because my business Amex routinely has 20k on it at the end of the month.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: My top margina effectivel tax rate is 46%.

It's the bonus 18% unlubed fucking I get for being self employed.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

They're reporting the amounts due and % of limit. Get your limits raised and the problem goes away. I have the same problem because my business Amex routinely has 20k on it at the end of the month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's the result of me not having any debt.A FICO score of 814 and what's hurting it:

AND

How much higher can my FICO score go?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top