Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Silver is closely tied to our economy, the better we are doing, the lower silver will go. Which also means, when the rest of the world is taking a dive, precious metals follow them. It's always a good time to buy, our economy will tank again some day and you will make a nice profit!
View Quote

Ruh Roh, I will stock up at five bucks ea, which should be within the next year or so.  I remember Silver at five or six bucks, 2008ish??

ETA just checked Silver price history, time gets away from a person, 2002 or so since it was that cheap.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Why is the price of silver set at $50/oz?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Silver is closely tied to our economy, the better we are doing, the lower silver will go. Which also means, when the rest of the world is taking a dive, precious metals follow them. It's always a good time to buy, our economy will tank again some day and you will make a nice profit!

This is the part that confuses me. Let's say I buy 100 ounces today for $1500 and silver jumps to $50 an ounce next year. Who is going to buy my silver?

Because people are buying it. My question was more literal. WHO will buy my silver? In hindsight I should have said "Where would I unload my silver for near spot".
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#3]
LOL
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's an experiment I am doing, I started it a week ago after a discussion with a friend about investing ( a different twist). I took 100 dollars worth of silver, AR lowers, AR magazines moved them together to a place in my safe and every year I will take a look at there current price and see which ones have appreciated or depreciated. I have no intention of selling any of them unless I had to (SHTF), so maybe someday my grandkids can look at how much things cost back in the day and there appreciation or depreciation over time.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#5]
If youre a team member theres a good thread in there called "pikes silver thread" read it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just bought 5 ounces when it was $15.10 from Silvertowne.
View Quote

Big spender.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Jmbullion.com page isn't loading.

Is it panic buying?  
View Quote

Yep, had my cart full and was ready to put in my payment info and it went tits up
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep, had my cart full and was ready to put in my payment info and it went tits up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jmbullion.com page isn't loading.

Is it panic buying?  

Just came back up...and now it's back down...
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That is where I am lost as well.

I dont really think the local coin shop is interested in buying 1000 ounces of silver as it starts to go nuts.   Even if they were troy ounce silver rounds.

Other than investing in futures and holding out long term, in the end I just dont see it being as liquid.    Would like to see someone with experience in buying low and selling high actually weigh in on the issue of selling a large quantity of held silver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the part that confuses me. Let's say I buy 100 ounces today for $1500 and silver jumps to $50 an ounce next year. Who is going to buy my silver?

I dont really think the local coin shop is interested in buying 1000 ounces of silver as it starts to go nuts.   Even if they were troy ounce silver rounds.

Other than investing in futures and holding out long term, in the end I just dont see it being as liquid.    Would like to see someone with experience in buying low and selling high actually weigh in on the issue of selling a large quantity of held silver.
If the price of silver is $50/oz, that means that people are willing to both buy it AND sell it at around that price. That's how markets work.

The local coin dealer makes a small mark-up on any transaction, even when the price is high.

We sold a lot of silver when it was $40 because people were willing to pay that price.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You don't. As soon as people know you have precious metals whatever the thugs want you're open game. Either you have what you need on hand, or forget it.

View Quote

FIFY.  Under the scenario you are describing having made any preparation at all makes you a target.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#11]
It's a buying opportunity. Buying silver is not like buying 22lr.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Because people are buying it. My question was more literal. WHO will buy my silver? In hindsight I should have said "Where would I unload my silver for near spot".

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EE, eBay, local coin shop, online dealers, ....

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#14]
All of the online places seem to be selling it at approximately 40% over spot, so yeah.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except that nearly 3 decade long post bubble bear market from 1980 until the late 2000's.  Long term PM holders literally lost their ass to inflation and opportunity cost over that period.  

This time will be different though, I'm sure of it.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
the time is near
View Quote

Ezekiel 7:19 They will throw their silver into the streets, and their gold will be treated as a thing unclean. Their silver and gold will not be able to deliver them in the day of the LORD's wrath. It will not satisfy their hunger or fill their stomachs, for it has caused them to stumble into sin.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Apmex is slow as hell today...

I wonder why?  
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All of the online places seem to be selling it at approximately 40% over spot, so yeah.
View Quote

I'm very fortunate. I pay only $1.50 over spot.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Silver.com OPM rounds, I paid less than that 30 mins ago.  Order with 3 other people split the shipping.  Winning?

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Silver dropped over 5% this morning.  Interesting considering what is going on with Greece and China.  I would have expected it to make a jump.  

Time to buy?
View Quote

ITS MY FUCKING FAULT!

I just bought $5,000 of 5 oz. bars YESTERDAY.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ezekiel 7:19 They will throw their silver into the streets, and their gold will be treated as a thing unclean. Their silver and gold will not be able to deliver them in the day of the LORD's wrath. It will not satisfy their hunger or fill their stomachs, for it has caused them to stumble into sin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the time is near

“Allah. It all starts with Him – the universe, humanity, and our own conception – and it all comes back to Him in the end. There’s no victory without Him, no progress, no peace. Strengthen your relationship with Him in the easy times, and you will find Him beside you in the hard times.” – Wael Abdelgawad
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's a buying opportunity. Buying silver is not like buying 22lr.
View Quote

You're right buying .22lr is actually useful and it has real value.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why? this seems odd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Along with everything else. WTI, Gold, Corn, all the commodities are getting hit.

Why? this seems odd.

It does seem odd. Typically it seems like PMs tick up when the market is down. Lately the trend is everything is down.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ok, so we're not talking a Mad Max scenario here

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, bear with me here because I have never understood the precious metals thing

If the economy tanked, and SHTF how would having silver or gold allow you to feed your family?

Trading gold or silver bars for bread?

It won't. When they issue/revalue currency, it makes you whole. X amount of silver in Y currency will still be worth X amount of Z currency.

Ok, so we're not talking a Mad Max scenario here

Mad max scenario you need guns, ammo, food, water, land, no debt, and a really awesome car with spikes on it.

Realistic economic trouble scenario you can nix the spiky car and add gold/silver for bartyr/trade and supporting purchasing power by trading into devalued currency as needed.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure I could do better than 40% over.  I just did a quick look at the online guys to see what was happening.

ETA:  Is that local?  Is it always $1.50 over spot, or is it 10% over?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

silver goes up because demand increases. If demand is increased who is going to buy your silver?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here's an experiment I am doing, I started it a week ago after a discussion with a friend about investing ( a different twist). I took 100 dollars worth of silver, AR lowers, AR magazines moved them together to a place in my safe and every year I will take a look at there current price and see which ones have appreciated or depreciated. I have no intention of selling any of them unless I had to (SHTF), so maybe someday my grandkids can look at how much things cost back in the day and there appreciation or depreciation over time.
View Quote

When my son was born my intention was to put a brick of 22LR and 1 ounce of silver into an ammo can for him each month of his life (with the intention of giving him the full ammo cans when he turned 21).

As it stands, he's going to have to be happy with 9mm as 22LR is extinct.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
bought a 10oz bar and a .308 silver bullet
View Quote

Those bullets are a total ripoff. I tried to kill a werewolf with one and it didn't even go off. I almost died.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm sure I could do better than 40% over.  I just did a quick look at the online guys to see what was happening.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Local and yes, always $1.50, unless I buy about 100 or more rounds. Lowest I have ever paid was $0.75
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I remember Silver at five or six bucks, 2008ish??
View Quote

In 1991 upon my first return from fishing in AK, I was encouraged to buy silver at $6.  I should have listened.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#31]
A few posts got me thinking and I just wanted to say this:

No matter the price of silver if you can't afford it don't do it.  It doesn't matter if silver was $3 an ounce... the price is going down for a reason and the chances that it will turn around and make a profit quickly (after shipping and markup if you are buying online like I do) is very very slim.  This is very much a disposable income hobby for me.  I enjoy it and I do believe I am making a smart gamble.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wonder how much it actually costs to get it out of the ground,refined,and minted?
View Quote

Many believe that it should be higher given those costs. It literally costs more to mine is one argument people use to point to manipulation of the pm market, whether one believes that or not is up to the individual person but it is a strong argument. Nearly everyone I know has a stack of gold and a large stack of silver, the whole currency thing going back like 5000 years is also a strong argument for its value and usefulness
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Those bullets are a total ripoff. I tried to kill a werewolf with one and it didn't even go off. I almost died.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're supposed to cast silver into balls and shoot them from muzzleloaders. That's the prescribed method for WW killing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm seeing ~$4 over spot per oz

What are you paying?

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Many believe that it should be higher given those costs. It literally costs more to mine is one argument people use to point to manipulation of the pm market, whether one believes that or not is up to the individual person but it is a strong argument. Nearly everyone I know has a stack of gold and a large stack of silver, the whole currency thing going back like 5000 years is also a strong argument for its value and usefulness
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder how much it actually costs to get it out of the ground,refined,and minted?

I know of two friends of mine who do, never heard about anybody else I know around here having shit

methinks that's far from the norm
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My guess is that many of the traditional buyers of commodities have had a bad couple of weeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Along with everything else. WTI, Gold, Corn, all the commodities are getting hit.

Why? this seems odd.

My guess is that many of the traditional buyers of commodities have had a bad couple of weeks.

There are massive deflationary pressures, that have been kept in check by expanding the money supply.

The problem is as the money supply expands, it takes more and more devaluation to produce the same offset to deflation pressures.

During deflation, everything, including PMS, will be deflated until enough businesses go under that supply can not keep up with demand, then the prices go up again rapidly because there are not enough commodities available for demand.

I expect to see QE 7 very soon. Deflation looks like it is creeping back, everything is on sale because the demand is low. More businesses will go out of business.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Should I go buy $200 worth? Or is buying small increments not worth it? It is hard to sneak large chunks of my account to invest.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#39]
If Greece gets dumped out of the EU and issues their own money, I'm willing to bet the greek citizens would love to have some silver and gold laying around to change into dollars or pounds. Or just GTFO of Greece and then change it to the local currency.

I just like having a small percentage of my assets in physical PMs as a hedge. It also makes it easy to buy stuff from the weird dude at the gun show.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People who think that it will be worth more than $50?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What are you paying?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you paying?

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Should I go buy $200 worth? Or is buying small increments not worth it? It is hard to sneak large chunks of my account to invest.
View Quote

imo yes it is worth it if you sell based on what you are actually paying.  You are not buying spot... so if after shipping you are paying 16.50 an ounce today keep track of that.

Buy something that has a low over spot price.  The 10 ounce bars are good, 1 ounce silver rounds... but some coin designs (not basic silver rounds) and the silver 308 bullet is probably very high over spot relatively and not worth the extra money in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#43]
http://www.providentmetals.com/dont-tread-on-me-eternal-vigilance-1-oz-999-silver-bar.html

Interesting that the price for individual Dont Tread On Me 1oz. silver bars is $17.76
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
http://www.providentmetals.com/dont-tread-on-me-eternal-vigilance-1-oz-999-silver-bar.html

Interesting that the price for individual Dont Tread On Me 1oz. silver bars is $17.76
View Quote

Well it was>    Now it is down to 17.74
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If the price of silver is $50/oz, that means that people are willing to both buy it AND sell it at around that price. That's how markets work.  

The local coin dealer makes a small mark-up on any transaction, even when the price is high.

We sold a lot of silver when it was $40 because people were willing to pay that price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a kid I collected coins back when spot was 5.50 an ounce.    Then in my mid teens I sold a bunch off when it was in the 14s.

I get that people will want to buy.     But selling small quantities of 10-20 coins isnt the same as selling 100s of coins, or at least that is my perception of trying to go to the small time coin store, of which there are 2 in my town, and trying to liquidate it.

Honestly?    Neckbearding ammo has been entirely easier.   I would rather neckbeard ammo I guess than neckbeard silver.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Anything you buy needs to be over $1000 it is not reported and taxed as it is considered an investment. If you cheap bastards by 5oz your paying tax. Get together with a few friends and pool $1000 no tax.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Anything you buy needs to be over $1000 it is not reported and taxed as it is considered an investment. If you cheap bastards by 5oz your paying tax. Get together with a few friends and pool $1000 no tax.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the time is near

Having taken this verse to heart I sold nearly all of the gold and silver coins I had back at right at $1600/oz and $35/oz respectively... which looks pretty good right now......

Some years ago I read a book titled "how to find happiness during the collapse of Western Civilization" which led me to buying PM's and other courses' of action..... a VERY good read and still relevant.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top