Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/7/2015 10:14:06 AM EDT
Silver dropped over 5% this morning.  Interesting considering what is going on with Greece and China.  I would have expected it to make a jump.  

Time to buy?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless it's $400 an ounce, it's always time to buy.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Under 15.00!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Along with everything else. WTI, Gold, Corn, all the commodities are getting hit.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#5]
getting really close that buying price.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Along with everything else. WTI, Gold, Corn, all the commodities are getting hit.
View Quote

Why? this seems odd.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this directly related to the dollar?  I am an idiot about this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Unless it's $400 an ounce, it's always time to buy.
View Quote

I wonder if those who bought in at the 40-50 range a few years ago share that sentiment?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Excellent!

Keep dropping
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#10]
China and Greek related margin calls.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Excellent!

Keep dropping
View Quote

Yeah I get excited about the price drops.  Just like AR parts it is far more exciting to be stacking deep while I am in a good place financially.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Just bought 5 ounces when it was $15.10 from Silvertowne.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Silver is closely tied to our economy, the better we are doing, the lower silver will go. Which also means, when the rest of the world is taking a dive, precious metals follow them. It's always a good time to buy, our economy will tank again some day and you will make a nice profit!
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Links to buy it now?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Who has the lowest spot?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Who has the lowest spot?
View Quote

If you take free shipping into account... a good bet for price would be a 10 ounce bar from Provident metal.

Provident Bar

Right now its 165.20 for 10 ounces... so 16.52/ounce to your door.

I am not an expert and I don't know the cheapest/best way to get silver.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you take free shipping into account... a good bet for price would be a 10 ounce bar from Provident metal.

Provident Bar

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who has the lowest spot?

Provident Bar

http://www.jmbullion.com/10-oz-rmc-silver-bar/
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Who has the lowest spot?
View Quote

https://comparesilverprices.com
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Ok, bear with me here because I have never understood the precious metals thing

If the economy tanked, and SHTF how would having silver or gold allow you to feed your family?

Trading gold or silver bars for bread?

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Fuck yes. Off to the local PM shop for me, today!
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If the economy tanked, and SHTF how would having silver or gold allow you to feed your family?

View Quote

It will be worthless. If you have any, you should send it to me immediately for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

It won't. When they issue/revalue currency, it makes you whole. X amount of silver in Y currency will still be worth X amount of Z currency.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It will be worthless. If you have any, you should send it to me immediately for proper disposal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, send your address and I will forward a stale loaf of bread immediately

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am not saying it is a SHTF thing (some do).  Its a risk/investment.  It is also a hedge against other investments tanking.  Diversification.

As far as how it works, I am not an economist, but there is a direct correlation to the dollar tanking and silver/gold taking huge jumps in value.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It won't. When they issue/revalue currency, it makes you whole. X amount of silver in Y currency will still be worth X amount of Z currency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so we're not talking a Mad Max scenario here

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Good, I need to buy some more anyways.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Silver is closely tied to our economy, the better we are doing, the lower silver will go. Which also means, when the rest of the world is taking a dive, precious metals follow them. It's always a good time to buy, our economy will tank again some day and you will make a nice profit!
View Quote

This is the part that confuses me. Let's say I buy 100 ounces today for $1500 and silver jumps to $50 an ounce next year. Who is going to buy my silver?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Who has the lowest spot?
View Quote

Depends on what you're looking for. Monarch precious metals sells rounds for something like 50 cents over spot.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on your level of shtf.

Katrina or other event where the lights go out for a few weeks, CC are no good but paper cash on hand is fine

Soviet style collapse of government, gold and silver would give currency when paper money is worthless

Global zombie epidemic or Book of Eli scenario, and yeah precious metals won't be worth much. However, they will still be the first commodities to regain value as society stabilizes just as they have since the dawn of time.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
You don't. As soon as people know you have precious metals you're open game. Either you have what you need on hand, or forget it.

This is for investments. I've been itching to get back in, and this may be a nice start.

Selling small quantities at gun shows always does well. Especially those limited quantity, limited time offer silver rounds, patriotic motif's, etc.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm so glad I did not listen to you guys and buy precious metals

I would have lost my ass

Instead, I made a very nice profit in the stock market
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is the part that confuses me. Let's say I buy 100 ounces today for $1500 and silver jumps to $50 an ounce next year. Who is going to buy my silver?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is the price of silver set at $50/oz?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why? this seems odd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? this seems odd.

China's growth is slowing, so they're buying less oil, so oil is dropping further.

Cheaper oil means middle east and Russia have less money to buy commodities.

Europe getting ready to shit or get off the pot with Greece.  If they shit, the other debtor nations will immediately demand debt relief as well, which will fuck European bond market.  If they get off the pot, Greece will tank, and it always impacts commodities when a western nation shits the bed.

That being said, bought my last silver when it dropped to 20, not buying more until it hits 12.  Maybe 14.  Which I expect it to.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone have a link for deals on Eagles?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for when they make PM's illegal for citizens to own and trade in.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Wonder how much it actually costs to get it out of the ground,refined,and minted?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.

Got it, thanks

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they don't have to make it illegal just exceedingly painful
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is where I am lost as well.

I dont really think the local coin shop is interested in buying 1000 ounces of silver as it starts to go nuts.   Even if they were troy ounce silver rounds.

Other than investing in futures and holding out long term, in the end I just dont see it being as liquid.    Would like to see someone with experience in buying low and selling high actually weigh in on the issue of selling a large quantity of held silver.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#42]
this is a 5-year low
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm so glad I did not listen to you guys and buy precious metals

I would have lost my ass

Instead, I made a very nice profit in the stock market
View Quote

I'm in both stock market and PM's (silver for me). It's all about being diversified.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Meh, could care less about the price, did take a dip as I ordered my monthly allotment which was nice.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#45]
bought a 10oz bar and a .308 silver bullet
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The same people that bought it for $50 in 2011.  It goes up that much because bad shit is happening in the economy or there is something else driving demand.  At that point there are just as many people who will buy just below spot price as there were when it was going for $15.  That is why there is so much excitement for what is now a 6% drop today.  Historically its a good price but a few years from now it could be $12 an ounce or it could be $30 an ounce.  Its a gamble and I am betting that the price will increase.  

It seems weird that anyone would buy at lets say $1 below spot when its at an all time high of $50 but nobody can tell the future.  There were talks at that time that it could continue to go through the roof and if you are a company dealing in high volumes and turnover there is money to be made by buying under spot all the time.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why? this seems odd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? this seems odd.

My guess is that many of the traditional buyers of commodities have had a bad couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Jmbullion.com page isn't loading.

Is it panic buying?  
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Jmbullion.com page isn't loading.

Is it panic buying?  
View Quote

Panic isn't the right word.  Opportunistic buying is probably more accurate.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Going back up...$14.90
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top