Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never been been nervous with an AR that I assembled.

However, the glory days of $39 Turk Mausers and 3000 FPS Turk 8mm ammo had its moments.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not but I've never done anything crazy. Maybe if the skill level involved was more in depth and required actual machining.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The first time I assembled my own AR, I took it to the LGS and asked the guys there to look it over and offer an opinion as to whether it would explode.  

I still wear shooting gloves in addition to normal eye pro when I shoot off a virgin build, but otherwise, not really.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Some of my builds have involved anything from a remote tripod, string and hiding behind a tree, so yes I have been scared of some of my builds at times .
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#5]
AK74 from kit just fired it but with only one round in the mag

Rebarreled Savage 110  223 AI just fired it

I have a rebarreled Savage 110 .308 waiting to be fired

I used go and no go gauges in all 3.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I built 6 FAL's this winter, first time builder.  I was worried and wore leather gloves and face protection.  All fired perfectly.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am a bit tense when starting a new engine, whether I built it or not.  I don't recall any second thoughts with a new rifle I built.  Maybe with a brand new reload once in a while.......
View Quote

Man, I am all jittery when starting a new engine, especially one I built.  So many more moving parts and things that can go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm still nervous with my 300blk build.  Its blown primers, jammed in cases, all sorts of shit that make me wanna set it down; however, .223 is a snorefest.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not with ARs. AKs were a little exciting the first trigger pull.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope, took Sully's class a couple years ago, we completely stripped our weapons three or four times and rebuilt them. The only thing I didn't mess with were my own sights on my pre ban Bushmaster. Didn't feel at all apprehensive taking the two I worked on back out the range and firing them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Sure.  Every time I build an AR, or do any real work on a gun, I make sure to hold it as far away from my face and body as possible.  I also do this with any first time firing of a purchased gun.  There could be defects in the metal, incorrect installation, or a step missed, or a number of other things.  You never know.

Shit happens.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not with ARs. AKs were a little exciting the first trigger pull.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#13]
As a rule, I never build rifles sober... So yes, it makes me a little nervous when I can't remember torquing the barrel nut or if I installed the gas tube..  
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Meh.
I'll single feed the first few rounds, doing a primer read each time, then proceed normally
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope. Never occurred to be to be concerned about it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#16]
No. Not afraid when I build a new gun. I used to have far more concern the first time I cranked an engine for the first time when I used to rebuild those.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I can admit it. every time i build an AR or change barrels or anything major i always put on a heavy glove and stand behind the big tree in my backyard range with my entire body shielded from the gun except for my hand holding the gun. after a round or 2 i shot the gun normal.

The most scared was the time my dad asked me to test fire the Lorcin pistol he had just cleaned for a buddy

View Quote
I will admit to an accelerated heart rate pulling the trigger on my first (half) build.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Hell no.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know i was the first round i "made" on my dillon 650.....as i pulled the trigger.

try it first learning to reload.
View Quote

Agree
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I was worried if it would cycle properly.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#21]

This is why I've never built one.  

I've disassembled them and put them back together.  I've upgraded them.  I've accessorized them.  I've replaced parts.  I've even done some minor gun-smithing (gas blocks).  But I'll buy them from the factory, thank you.  

Although...  On second thought... I do reload.  So I've experienced a measure of anxiety in shooting my own hand loads.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#22]
No not at all.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Built? Nah.

However, even after thoroughly cleaning, checking headspace, etc. I still shot my Mosin the first couple of times from 50ft away with string pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Nope. And I have built a few FALs, AKs and an UZI. Original or used barrel, they all get headspaced and fired. Never even crossed my mind on ARs. The only gun I have been worried about coming apart was a rusty Rohm revolver I found while metal detecting. That got mounted and shot with a long cable.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't own a set of head space gauges so.... yeah.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top