What does that word mean?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right up front... I have OCD and have been treated decades for it.  I went to see the doc today (new one at the office) to get my medicine refilled.  He wants to know if I'm a hoarder.  I tell him I am.  He wants to know what I hoard.  I tell him guns and watches.  He wants to know how many guns I have.  I tell him "lots" and as many watches.  He keeps pressing and pressing for me to tell him exactly how many guns I have.  I finally told him I'm not going to say anything more than "lots".

What is it any of his business HOW MANY guns I possess?? What is he fishing for?  Your thoughts appreciated!!

The number of guns you have by the sounds of it.

Very inciteful of you.

I see what he did there, even if he doesn't
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Right up front... I have OCD and have been treated decades for it.  I went to see the doc today (new one at the office) to get my medicine refilled.  He wants to know if I'm a hoarder.  I tell him I am.  He wants to know what I hoard.  I tell him guns and watches.  He wants to know how many guns I have.  I tell him "lots" and as many watches.  He keeps pressing and pressing for me to tell him exactly how many guns I have.  I finally told him I'm not going to say anything more than "lots".

What is it any of his business HOW MANY guns I possess??  What is he fishing for?  Your thoughts appreciated!!
View Quote

hide them under the watches
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#4]
You told him you are a "hoarder" but it sounds like you just like to buy a lot of guns and watches. He is probably trying to determine if your self diagnosis is correct. Are there mountains of guns and watches waiting to collapse in every room of your house? Are you OCD in the way that results in a super clean and organized house?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Citing insights on this site?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arfcom GD:

My psychiatrist examined my gun collection and noted on my chart that I am cheap and stingy reloader, mainly because I have fewer than 30 guns.  Is he bored and trolling me, or is this an important deficit in my psychological gun health?

If you decide to cite any insightful incidents, I would be most appreciative.
Citing insights on this site?  

Am I being cited in this thread for not having quite the 30 requisite guns, or am I free to leave?

OP, find out what caliber your Doc. has decided is the minimum for self defense.  If he says .25 auto, get 2nd opinion.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#6]
You fucked up by saying guns in front of a shrink.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I guess I really should have just kept my mouth shut and said I don't.  "Hoarding" means to me acquiring stuff I don't really want or need but I get it, none-the-less.  Yes, I do "collect" firearms and watches.  No, they do not overrun my house.
View Quote

Don't worry about clarifying to GD, clarify that to the doc.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you own fewer guns than HE does, you are NOT a hoarder
View Quote

(Are you really Kiowa and Creek?  If so, do your old ones pass along the Sun Dance and stories of riding with the Comanch'?)  serious.  Never met a Kiowa.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Your shrink appears to be a discerning gun dude.  He's obviously concerned that you aren't trying hard enough.  Buy more guns to impress him, and get back to us when he's satisfied.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arfcom GD:

My psychiatrist examined my gun collection and noted on my chart that I am cheap and stingy reloader, mainly because I have fewer than 30 guns.  Is he bored and trolling me, or is this an important deficit in my psychological gun health?

If you decide to cite any insightful incidents, I would be most appreciative.

Your shrink appears to be a discerning gun dude.  He's obviously concerned that you aren't trying hard enough.  Buy more guns to impress him, and get back to us when he's satisfied.

Truly, having "enough guns" has been a lifelong pursuit.  

I thought I had a bunch, till the 30 figure was mentioned.  Now I see that it was all just a self serving, psychological delusion
Forming brass for Swedish Mauser and .45 ACP shotshells is the closest I came recently to losing my mind.

I wanna know what Freud says 10mm shooters are trying to compensate for
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How do you know? Have you been in his house? Did he state how much ammo and guns he has and whether he uses them?

Yes, even large collections can be "hoarding." I doubt you know his circumstances, he's too afraid to tell his doctor he sure as hell won't post it here out of paranoia.

Edit: This thread serves simply to affirm OP's confirmation bias.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You sir are a collector, not a hoarder.

One of the few times when dishonesty is the best policy is when the government is asking about your guns.

How do you know? Have you been in his house? Did he state how much ammo and guns he has and whether he uses them?

Yes, even large collections can be "hoarding." I doubt you know his circumstances, he's too afraid to tell his doctor he sure as hell won't post it here out of paranoia.

Because when the .gov is asking about your guns, the answer is always "NO".

No further information is needed.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the few times when dishonesty is the best policy is when the government is asking about your guns.

Strange, I thought it was a psychiatrist that was asking, not the government.

Don't go to a guy to get help if you don't want help.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Many people don't understand 10-15 AR15s as being normal.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can tell you I never got asked any of those questions when I was treated for OCD. Sounds like your doctor is being snoopy.

You should have kept your mouth shut.

Remember, NO is always the best answer when people try to pry.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I still don't see that as normal.  

Why do you have that many? Lots of different calibers, different configurations?  Are they different, the same, etc.  Talk me through the rationale that's behind owning a bunch of a non-consumable which are seemingly the same.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wanna know what Freud says 10mm shooters are trying to compensate for
View Quote

That fat fucking rim on the 357 Magnum.  Damned things don't stack for shit.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why do you have that many? Lots of different calibers, different configurations? Are they different, the same, etc.  Talk me through the rationale that's behind owning a bunch of a non-consumable which are seemingly the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you have that many? Lots of different calibers, different configurations? Are they different, the same, etc.  Talk me through the rationale that's behind owning a bunch of a non-consumable which are seemingly the same.

Pretty much it.  Various different calibers.  7.5", 8.5", 10.5", 12.5", 14.5" 16", 18", 20", 22", 24" bbls available, in all kinds of different barrel profiles, fluted, etc.   Pistol, carbine, midlength gas systems.  Adj. stocks vs. fixed stocks.  

Once you get started assembling them, it's hard to stop because you keep learning and getting deeper into it.  It's very spiritual and brings one closer to the Universe.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#17]
He's going to hit you up for some 22 ammo.
Why would you tell a Vodoo Doc anything ?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Pretty much it.  Various different calibers.  7.5", 8.5", 10.5", 12.5", 14.5" 16", 18", 20", 22", 24" bbls available, in all kinds of different barrel profiles, fluted, etc.   Pistol, carbine, midlength gas systems.  Adj. stocks vs. fixed stocks.  

Once you get started assembling them, it's hard to stop because you keep learning and getting deeper into it.  It's very spiritual and brings one closer to the Universe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, it's a reason.  I'm not there yet, I guess.  I've got one assembled AR and two complete lowers.  Planning on SBRing one of the lowers eventually, but not really sure what to do with the other. I am not a very good AR owner.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is universally true.

This situation, however, is a private individual seeking out a private doctor in order to seek medical treatment for a mental issue. The worst thing you can do is shrink (no pun intended) away from a possible catharsis.

New doctor wants to get a baseline on his new-to-him patient. I don't see the issue other than "can't tuch muh guns!!!!"
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#20]

This is my weapon, this is my gun...

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why do you need even one evil, assault rifle?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why do you have that many? Lots of different calibers, different configurations?  Are they different, the same, etc.  Talk me through the rationale that's behind owning a bunch of a non-consumable which are seemingly the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't about "normal" in that sense, it's normality in regards to his patient. What's the baseline? Does his patient seek to blow every last dime on these items and suffer elsewhere, financially? Does he stack them deep for no other reason than just to have them? When an OCD patient is asked about hoarding and what possible items he might consider hoarding and how many that entails and all he obfuscates with is "lots," what do you think that leads the doctor to believe?

OP has already established he has guns. Already established he has mental issues (albeit probably nothing serious.) Already established the amount is "lots."

Now his paranoia won't state an exact number or even an estimate... as if there wasn't enough information already disseminated to his doctor (and now an internet gun board with government agents reading.)

He just wants confirmation bias on being no use to himself. Way to go, OP, way to go.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I just got back from a boat outing with all my guns.  I had an accident and they all went overboard. I don't have any guns anymore... but still have a lot of watches!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just got back from a boat outing with all my guns.  I had an accident and they all went overboard. I don't have any guns anymore... but still have a lot of watches!!
View Quote

THAT'S THE SPIRIT !!!

Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where in Lake Guntersville? My OCD now needs to be placated
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Why do feel the need to share your private information with strangers who document everything?

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Why do feel the need to share your private information with strangers who document everything?

View Quote

Now hang on a minute.  Only 1 Arfcommer has ever admitted to keeping a spreadsheet.  To suggest that we document everything is a bit presumptuous.

Sure, Goatboy documents everything, but I wouldn't worry about that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is it any of his business HOW MANY guns I possess?? What is he fishing for?  Your thoughts appreciated!!

Very inciteful of you.

Hes,going to start a riot?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#29]
What do you obsess and compulse about OP?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Just tell 'em some outrageous number, like one hundred billion.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#31]
When I was younger, I went to my GP and, during a physical, he asked me if I ever drank alcohol.  I said yes.  After that, my chart read that I was an alcoholic for years.  

I learned, quickly, to watch what I said.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#32]
What is the mandatory minimum # of guns that psychologically healthy people should have?

Is it crazy to reload, when 9mm is $14/box?

OP, how many fingers am I holding up?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#33]
You've already volunteered way too much info
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very inciteful of you.

Stop enturbulating
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I collect as many as I can to keep them out of the hands of crazy liberals and off the streets.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#36]
It's 2015 in Obama's fundamentally changed America. Honesty is not always the best policy anymore.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When I was younger, I went to my GP and, during a physical, he asked me if I ever drank alcohol.  I said yes.  After that, my chart read that I was an alcoholic for years.  

View Quote

Wheeeee

Any drinking = Alcoholism

The list of things I have to remember to lie about grows every year.  I can't keep track.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Very inciteful of you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very inciteful of you.

No he is being insightful; whereas this troll thread is intended to be inciteful.

If this weren't a troll thread what the psychiatrist would have been trying to determine is how many firearms you own so that in the event he decides to turn that  information over to law enforcement they can be certain to get them all.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Wheeeee

The list of things I have to remember to lie about grows every year.  I can't keep track.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wheeeee

How long until they make it a felony to lie under obama care
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#40]
You should have asked him what his wife's favorite position is and does she swallow.  If this is a serious question that sneaky fuck was collecting information for people that aren't your friends. STFU, it's nobody's business, especially some turd that with a stroke of a pen can declare you unstable.  Shrinks are pill pushing wack jobs that can ESAD. The divorce rate is high in that profession as their own wives can't stand those over analyzing, under acting milktoasts.  The guy outside buffing the floors can give you better feedback on your problems.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
“Access to firearms is an important factor for clinicians to consider in any risk assessment of suicidal patients. Miller and Hemenway report that “in 2005, an average of 46 Americans a day committed suicide with a firearm, accounting for 53% of all completed suicides.”… All discussions with the patient and his or her family regarding firearms should be documented. When clinicians are doing a psychiatric examination of suicidal patients, they should inquire about the availability of firearms in the household. If a firearm is available, concerns about safety should be raised with the family and police. This is particularly true when children and adolescents reside in the household.”2

Yeah okay whatever.    Below is a hypothetical.

Suppose if I was gonna do it maybe I would rent a nice convertible.    Lay a coil of rope in the back seat with one end tied around a telephone pole and the other end around my neck.     Then just floor it...    after maybe 300ft of slack rope(should no knots tangle the line) the car should be doing 60+ mph.    At that point inertia should do a nice job of leaving the car to be piloted by a headless corpse.

That is the type of shit, no my idea but rather a notable snopes worthy idea, that happens when people get real creative about suicide and want to send a message.    Dont need a gun even if that is the easiest thing to find.   People who are serious are gonna do it.

Bigger clues are when people start talking about finality and the end then you see them doing things like giving away prized possessions or doing bucket list type crap.    If a hoarder suddenly started clearing out their shit because they didnt want to be a burden to survivors, probably the biggest clue of all.

So many stupid fixations on firearms, yeah the stats are there showing it is the most common instrument.   But how many were showing ideation and other clues before they acted?   Given the successful ones usually dont vocalize it and cry out for help, they often do it with people often saying "there were no signs."   In some cases true but not all.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better ARs than swords...

And once you get a new upper you might as well get a complete lower to go with it as it isnt that much more to build.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You should have asked him what his wife's favorite position is and does she swallow.  If this is a serious question that sneaky fuck was collecting information for people that aren't your friends. STFU, it's nobody's business, especially some turd that with a stroke of a pen can declare you unstable.  Shrinks are pill pushing wack jobs that can ESAD. The divorce rate is high in that profession as their own wives can't stand those over analyzing, under acting milktoasts.  The guy outside buffing the floors can give you better feedback on your problems.
View Quote

My dad graduated from St. Louis University med school in the early 60s and he always told 'we' kids the story that he had four suicides in his class over the four years and they were all the psychiatry students.  Always said they got into it to psychoanalyze themselves first and then others.

I believe that they serve a purpose and that there is such a thing as mental illness, but you have to be careful with that lot.

I have no problem with what the OP's doctor asked given OP's circumstance and him visiting a shrink.  CYA in today's climate.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Just tell him 'Not Enough' next time he asks and show him this picture

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#45]
You brought up hoarding, and guns, in the context of being OCD - and it's the psychiatrists fault for trying to evaluate the extent of your hoarding & OCD?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Confirmation bias refers to a type of selective thinking whereby one tends to notice and to look for what confirms one's beliefs, and to ignore, not look for, or undervalue the relevance of what contradicts one's beliefs.

I think we've found the OP's psychiatrist.  Please don't tell Obama about his guns. He's just a collector with OCD, not a crazy hoarder.  If you don't believe me, check out how clean his collection is.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My dad graduated from St. Louis University med school in the early 60s and he always told 'we' kids the story that he had four suicides in his class over the four years and they were all the psychiatry students.  Always said they got into it to psychoanalyze themselves first and then others.

I believe that they serve a purpose and that there is such a thing as mental illness, but you have to be careful with that lot.

I have no problem with what the OP's doctor asked given OP's circumstance and him visiting a shrink.  CYA in today's climate.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

i dated a psychiatry med student,  now a post residency neurologist, who fits the mold.

she hated guns(also liberal vegetarian).   One day she gives me some bullshit hypothetical about "what if we were married and had just had a kid and you came home and you found me sitting on the edge of the bed holding one of your guns and crying and I said I was post pardon and."

Yes I deliberately put all those "ands" into the quote.

she was probing.

Next words out of her mouth was to ask me if I would get rid of my guns because she was post pardon suicidal.   What the fuck?   We hadnt even screwed or kissed yet(religious reasons as to why her seal was intact).   That was a "who turned on the bat shit signal" moment for me.   I fell in love with her, hard, still fucked up over it.     Having a relationship with somebody who has been EDUCATED TO FUCK WITH MINDS is a dangerous thing.   She definitely had her own shit going on that made for a real handful if you called her on it.

She did a lot of studies on suicide and currently works with elderly patients.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#48]
well when he asked what you hoard you said guns. He is simply trying to quantify it. Do you have 200,000 which would be hoarding or do you have 20 you have a large hobby.. You opened your self up for it. Should have just stuck with watches.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Look guys!  I've seen the same doctor for years but today, because I needed a refill of meds, I had to see a different ("new") doctor.  I didn't go to spill my guts or shoot off my mouth.  I just went for an Rx.  He asked... I answered.  Live and learn!!  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I forgot to add... I bought a Para1911 the other day.  Don't ask me why.  I just bought it.  Really... who in their right mind buys a "Para-Ordinance" pistol ??
View Quote

Was it an old one? They haven't been called Para-Ordnance in 7 years. Maybe you meant Para USA.

You also spelled Ordnance wrong. Sure you have OCD?

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top