Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2015 9:21:44 AM EDT
Why? She gets plenty of water and I've never seen this until late last year. Now that the weather is getting warmer it seems to be amplifying the problem. Is there something I can do to mitigate this?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Pee is a horrible fertilizer.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pee is a horrible fertilizer.
View Quote

Word.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I think most females urine will kill the grass. I've got a few small dead spots from my AB squatting on the lawn.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Train her to pee on the neighbor's lawn?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the same problem, my dogs are murdering my grass.. in for comments.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I live in a large chunk of land all by myself. She would have to walk 20 minutes to go to the neighbors.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Female piss kills grass.

Either train her to pee elsewhere or get use to brown spots.

I spray spots with water heavily and patch every spring.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Put a table spoon of tomato sauce (think pasta sauce) in with their dog food, works for my in laws.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#11]
My female pit used to do that, we gave her a supplement that toned it down..NaturVet Grass Saver..

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Add some tomato sauce to her dog food.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Unfortunetly it is really a dog to dog issue. My sheepdogs, 3 of them over the years, had no effect on my lawn, my daughters labradoodle pisses battery acid apparently . I have heard some talk about trying to change the dog food they eat, have not heard of any success stories with this though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Put a table spoon of tomato sauce (think pasta sauce) in with their dog food, works for my in laws.
View Quote
First I have heard of this!

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm assuming this neutralizes the Ph in the urine?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Unfortunetly it is really a dog to dog issue. My sheepdogs, 3 of them over the years, had no effect on my lawn, my daughters labradoodle pisses battery acid apparently . I have heard some talk about trying to change the dog food they eat, have not heard of any success stories with this though.
View Quote

Our female chocolate lab mix doesn't affect the grass, but our 4 month old goldendoodle male does.

Maybe it's the poodle that does it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Only thing I've found that helps is to water the grass more, and if it dies then reseed.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I put lime down in the spring , it seemed to help
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Switch to a raw diet.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We used to feed my GSD wellness dog food.  Her pee would make the grass really green and we had these dark green spots around the yard. Then we switched her to Taste of the wild upon vet recommendation and now her pee kills the grass. Strange.
View Quote

It can be tied to diet and flea control. On a raw diet, my Dobie girl's pee never kills the grass except for the 2 days after we after apply flea preventive. On Taste of the Wild, dead grass everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always heard that it works, and it worked for mine. Just did some looking around online just now, and it's because it makes them drink more water and dilutes their urine, so probably not the best.

It's not the pH of the urine either, it's the nitrogen.  Probably the best bet is to train the dog to go the same spot, or spray the area with water or just accept that it's part of owning a dog.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Cranberry supplements available at pet big box stores...4 dogs...2 male 2 female...one pees hydrochloric acid...I think it disolves  concrete too...
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I live in a large chunk of land all by myself. She would have to walk 20 minutes to go to the neighbors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the same problem OP, 15 damn acres and she pees on the lawn, every time. Fucking brown spots all over. She's especially fond of the front of the house, where everybody can see.

Tag for GD's solution.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I have had this problem with my labs for years.

Only thing that seems to help is watch where she goes and water the hell out of the spot.

Lime helps,  but if you turn around and put fertilizer down for that nice green grass look it is counterproductive.

I also have a bag of dirt and a bag of Shultz once n done grass seed for the spots i miss.

If you dig up the spot, roots and all, add dirt and seed it will grow back in about 10 days.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Maybe teach your dog to pee only in one spot? That's what we did with ours.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Grass is nothing,  Mine managed to piss on the central air coil unit all winter and it not only took out the fins but it also put a hole in the freon line causing all to leak out.  Would love to only have dead grass.   But what is odd is there is no dead grass in the yard.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#27]
My male lab pisses on the same bush every morning and has killed it.  However, I'm in an apartment complex so I don't care
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Yep, female dog urine is hell on grass.  With my GSD and Border Collie both being female I gave up on that section of the yard.  The can pee in the wasteland they created.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Always heard that it works, and it worked for mine. Just did some looking around online just now, and it's because it makes them drink more water and dilutes their urine, so probably not the best.

It's not the pH of the urine either, it's the nitrogen.  Probably the best bet is to train the dog to go the same spot, or spray the area with water or just accept that it's part of owning a dog.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought most grass fertilizers were mostly nitrogen?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Maybe teach your dog to pee only in one spot? That's what we did with ours.
View Quote

We do this with our 140 lb mastiff.     Specially the first pee of the morning.    I leash him and walk him to the area with a stone mulch.    Seems to work.

Now if we can find a solution to the digging.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are. The way urine breaks down overfertilizes and burns, which is what would happen if you put too much fertilizer down.

I personally have given up. The nursery told me a good rule of thumb is to water four times as much, and then it will effectively fertilize the grass rather than burn it. But I can't really carry around a big cup of water or whatever to counteract this, especially since my wife lets her out to go wherever.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#32]
My dog could piss through the hull of a space ship.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#33]
A 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in the h20 bowl always did the trick for ours.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Wow. GD comes through again.  Our female Pit mix leaves little spots of dead grass all over the front yard.  Never knew about any of these "remedies".  Will start trying them tonight.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't do this.  My neighbor's dog is chained so that she does all of her business in my yard.  The neighbor cleans up the crap and that doesn't bother me.  However, the grass is starting to die in circles and he seems not to care.  I'm going to have to have an uncomfortable conversation with him soon.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#37]
This happened with my dane as well. She was killing off the grass in the back yard. Never bothered to figure out why.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I use powder lime and pellet lime to try and minimize it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My dog could piss through the hull of a space ship.
View Quote

Lol. Seriously hilarious.

I think I may give the watering trick a shot. She uses about a 50 yard radius spot. I'll start keeping a watering can on the porch and dilute the spot she uses and see what happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top