Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2015 4:53:43 AM EDT
FALs are IMHO super sexy.

AR10s, however, are super practical in .308 land.

I'm kicking around the idea of putting together a budget AR10 kit.  I'm not looking for it to clover leaf at 200 yards, I just want it to shoot minute-of-deer.

Anyone have any advice, experience, etc?

I know this would probably be better answered in the tech forums, but I figure GD could use a gun thread every now and then.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]

There is the Armalite pattern and the KAC pattern.

The KAC pattern has more companies for parts and can take the pmags if that matters to you. The  DPMS models would be more budget friendly.

The Armalite uses Armalite mags and the upper and lower recievers have a chamfer instead of a radius so you cant mix and match them with the KAC pattern. some of the small parts may interchange.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:37:59 AM EDT
[#2]

What caliber uppers are available for DPMS AR-10's?

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Do it.  Go with kac style stuff
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a full auto lower. Never built it up. Should have.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The KAC pattern has more companies for parts and can take the pmags if that matters to you. The  DPMS models would be more budget friendly.

The Armalite uses Armalite mags and the upper and lower recievers have a chamfer instead of a radius so you cant mix and match them with the KAC pattern. some of the small parts may interchange.

View Quote

DPMS has it's own pattern which is quite popular too.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought the kac and dpms were the same pattern

In that case the kac would not be budget friendly.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not exactly...

There are 3 separate 'flavors'

DPMS, KAC and Armalite. Not all are interchangeable but usually small parts are.

DPMS and KAC use the same mags, The B model Armalites also will use the DPMS and KAC style magazines.

The A model Armalites use a modified M14 mag.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#8]
why?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Do it.  SR25 pattern
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#10]
PSA build

16" stainless
TA-33 ACOG
3.5# trigger
Magpul Stock
YHM QD Phantom suppressor.

It is EXACTLY like sex if sex were a .308 AR built by me with the listed specifications.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Do it.  If anything it makes you realize how light, soft recoiling, inexpensive and easy to shoot the AR15 is.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not exactly...  

DPMS, KAC and Armalite. Not all are interchangeable but usually small parts are.

DPMS and KAC use the same mags, The B model Armalites also will use the DPMS and KAC style magazines.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not exactly...  

NO

You have the A and B back-assward.

The newer A model armalites use the plastic girly mags  
The older B model uses a proprietary steel mag, or in a pinch a modded M-14 mag

OP, just browse the variants forum - you'll see pretty quickly who has the .308 figured out, and who is still working on it,

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Heh, I just pulled the trigger on an Aero M5 receiver set yesterday, they had a sale going on, $260 for the set.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Most importantly if its not Armalite its not an AR10
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#16]
In before the 6.5 gerbil is better then ice water in hell ass clowns
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#17]
PSA PA10

I like my 6.5. Best of both worlds a small package with a big long bullet. Don't get me wrong I like my .556 but I hunt with the 6.5.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Aero Precision had some really good sales this weekend on AR10 stuff.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Have you Considered the Armalite DEF10?

Uses SR25-pattern mags and lists for < $1000.

It's a hell of a deal, for a factory 7.62 AR and is a solid carbine, besides. I've seen them for just over $900.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/93834/ARML+DEF10+DEFENDER+10+308+BLK

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Aero Precision receiver sets are nice and inexpensive. AIM Surplus sells nice, inexpensive bolt groups too. Barrels by Faxon or Rainier are lower cost and readily available.

Really, building a .308 is now about the same cost as building a 5.56 or 300BLK.

So the answer is, yes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I ordered a Radical Firearms barrel yesterday from Primary Arms for $125
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Aero Precision receiver sets are nice and inexpensive. AIM Surplus sells nice, inexpensive bolt groups too. Barrels by Faxon or Rainier are lower cost and readily available.

Really, building a .308 is now about the same cost as building a 5.56 or 300BLK.

So the answer is, yes.
View Quote

I wouldn't say that - unless you're talking about a lower end 308 vs a higher end 5.56 build.

My PA10 build with 15'' Midwest Industries handguard cost me about $900.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

NO

OP, just browse the variants forum - you'll see pretty quickly who has the .308 figured out, and who is still working on it,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not exactly...  

NO

LOL    This post here sums it up ^^^^^^^^^^^^

cc1968cc, we could be friends,      

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you Considered the Armalite DEF10?

Uses SR25-pattern mags and lists for < $1000.

It's a hell of a deal, for a factory 7.62 AR and is a solid carbine, besides. I've seen them for just over $900.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/93834/ARML+DEF10+DEFENDER+10+308+BLK

View Quote

This is interdasting. Anyone else have thoughts on this? I know very little about AR10's compared to AR15's and AK's.

I've had outstanding results so far from PSA uppers and lower builds, so I would also consider one of their PA10 builds/uppers as well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Love mine, built it on a Mega platform.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

NO

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not exactly...  

NO

Come give me some advice please link
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I REALLY want a sig 716. Really.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Heh, I just pulled the trigger on an Aero M5 receiver set yesterday, they had a sale going on, $260 for the set.
View Quote

S/A's normal price for non blem set is $215 iirc  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#29]
You should do it OP!

Built this over the weekend.  Fun stuff!

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got an Aero Precision matched set of the tan  AR-10 upper/lower stripped combo.  I've got a Larue MBT waiting for a platform!  Now I just need parts kits.  I know the lowers take a different parts kit but do the uppers use a different parts kit also?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You should do it OP!

http://i.imgur.com/bdfVm7U.jpg
View Quote

What barrel did you use and which muzzle device is that?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should do it OP!

It's a 20" .308 Stainless Steel Barrel with Rifle Length Gas from Aero Precision.

Muzzle Device is a KAC MAMS Unit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've got an Aero Precision matched set of the tan  AR-10 upper/lower stripped combo.  I've got a Larue MBT waiting for a platform!  Now I just need parts kits.  I know the lowers take a different parts kit but do the uppers use a different parts kit also?
View Quote

All you need for the upper (to make it into an "assembled" upper as sold from Aero) is an Ejection Port Cover Kit and a Forward Assist Assembly Kit which should run you 24 bucks or less from Aero.  Could be had cheaper during their weekly sales.  Neither kit seemed overly proprietary to me, however I also couldn't find an Upper Parts Kit that contained both of those kits when I searched, so I just picked those up from Aero.  Both worked like a charm!

Cheers,

Spenny
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's a 20" .308 Stainless Steel Barrel with Rifle Length Gas from Aero Precision.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should do it OP!

HOLY SHIT $400 bucks for the MAMS
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should do it OP!

They can be had cheaper.  I believe there are some in the EE for ~$300 OBO right now.  I'll definitely have to run the gun a bit more, and try the MAMS on a shorter 14.5 or 16 inch barreled upper, however the initial results were that the MAMS flipping rocks!

300-400 dollars rocks?  That's the buyer's call.  And there are several similar designs on the market that are much cheaper and could satisfy the 'look' and probably provide similar effect.

Cheers,

Spenny

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
FALs are IMHO super sexy.

AR10s, however, are super practical in .308 land.

I'm kicking around the idea of putting together a budget AR10 kit.  I'm not looking for it to clover leaf at 200 yards, I just want it to shoot minute-of-deer.

Anyone have any advice, experience, etc?

I know this would probably be better answered in the tech forums, but I figure GD could use a gun thread every now and then.
View Quote

Argument #1 for why you should build an AR10:

Shooting stuff is fun.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Salad days, seriously, the price of admission to the AR-10 pattern club was once pricey and limited parts, no better time than now.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

All you need for the upper (to make it into an "assembled" upper as sold from Aero) is an Ejection Port Cover Kit and a Forward Assist Assembly Kit which should run you 24 bucks or less from Aero.  Could be had cheaper during their weekly sales.  Neither kit seemed overly proprietary to me, however I also couldn't find an Upper Parts Kit that contained both of those kits when I searched, so I just picked those up from Aero.  Both worked like a charm!

Cheers,

Spenny
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers,

Spenny

Will those valves that replace the forward assists work in an LR308 type upper? Since I'll be suppressing it, I was thinking of putting one in.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Will those valves that replace the forward assists work in an LR308 type upper? Since I'll be suppressing it, I was thinking of putting one in.
View Quote

They should work fine, the forward assist is AR-15 compatible. I think other than the dust cover and pin, bolt catch, takedown pins and mag catch, the receiver parts are the same.

ETA: This is assuming you're talking about DPMS-pattern parts.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers,

Spenny

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can swoop in and answer your question, as I've never used a FA gas vent before.  If the LR accepts AR15/308 AR Pattern Forward Assist Assemblies, I don't see why it wouldn't work.  But I wouldn't bet on my reasoning here. Lol.

Cheers,

Spenny.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not exactly...  

DPMS and KAC use the same mags, The B A model Armalites also will use the DPMS and KAC style magazines.

The A B model Armalites use a modified M14 mag.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not exactly...  

DPMS and KAC use the same mags, The B A model Armalites also will use the DPMS and KAC style magazines.

The A B model Armalites use a modified M14 mag.

Dyslexia kicked in, huh?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They should work fine, the forward assist is AR-15 compatible. I think other than the dust cover and pin, bolt catch, takedown pins and mag catch, the receiver parts are the same.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, DPMS pattern, thanks a bunch!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Schuyler Arms > Aero M5 Upper/Lower

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top