Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2015 11:22:40 PM EDT
So my computer monitor stopped working a couple days ago.  After a bit of experimentation, I discovered that the problem was the DVI input on the monitor.  The monitor has an HDMI input (and it works with that, because I hooked it up to the HDMI out on my laptop to test it) but my desktop doesn't have an HDMI output.  A quick check on Amazon shows that there are adapters out there that will take a DVI male end and convert it to HDMI.  Anyone tried this?  Do y'all think it would work in this situation?  My alternatives are to buy a new video card with an HDMI out or buy a new monitor.  The new monitor will be slightly more expensive, but easier to implement as I am not the handiest guy around when it comes to installing hardware on a computer.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Works like a champ. It's all digital, so there's no signal conversion required. I have five or six of them going between work and home.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, DVI out from your laptop to HDMI in to the monitor will work.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, DVI out from your laptop to HDMI in to the monitor will work.
View Quote

Actually it's my desktop.  My laptop has an HDMI port, but not my desktop.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys.  $15 shipped for an adapter is cheaper than my other alternatives.  And I hate to throw away a monitor that still works.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, you'll be just fine.  

I've used them for years to connect my Macbook to my TV back before AppleTV came out and I used it as a Media Center.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, but dvi has no audio capabilities
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, and sometimes DRM can be a problem with HDMI implementations past V1.4.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Be sure to buy one from monoprice.com no clue what amazon wants but I figure monoprice is cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The audible is taken care of with speakers hooked up via the audio connection, so that's no problem.  As for the DRM...how would that be an issue for the monitor?  No content is being delivered to the computer via HDMI, just the image going to the monitor.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Be sure to buy one from monoprice.com no clue what amazon wants but I figure monoprice is cheaper.
View Quote

The one on Amazon is $15 after shipping and tax.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's replacing a DVI-DVI cable, neither of these issue are a concern.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Monoprice says $3 and change with free shipping

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#13]
HDMI = DVI + Digital Audio.  DVI is just the video portion of HDMI so there is no problem.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have found monoprice to be hit or miss on quality. With a lot more misses than hits.

Most major A/V integrators will not allow their products to be spec'd in on jobs. One integrator that I worked for even fired a sales engineer for repeatedly trying to use them.

Buy once, cry once.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have found monoprice to be hit or miss on quality. With a lot more misses than hits.

Most major A/V integrators will not allow their products to be spec'd in on jobs. One integrator that I worked for even fired a sales engineer for repeatedly trying to use them.

Buy once, cry once.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy once, cry once.

I have many years of experience in broadcasting, a wire is a wire, either it works or it doesn't. A $50 cable carries current just as good as a $4 one.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:11:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I use about 25 at work on a daily basis. They work like a charm.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Any reasonably competent DVI to HDMI converter will be fine. $15 off Amazon (assuming positive reviews) would be fine. Me, I've had bad luck with cheap junk so cheap the soldering job is poor, the pins bend, etc.  So if there are $5 items, $15 items, and $40 items, I will buy the $15 one assuming it has good reviews. ETA: Find the part number of one with good reviews, and look around the best price on that unit. I've had great success with that approach.

For education: https://sewelldirect.com/learning-center/hdmi-converter

DVI to HDMI

DVI is a digital signal in the same format as the video portion of HDMI. The difference is that DVI doesn't carry the audio signal like HDMI does. This means that if you are only using the video signal you can use a simple DVI to HDMI plug adapter that changes the physical connections. If you want to go from a DVI source with audio, you'll need an active converter to combine the video signal from the DVI source and the audio into the HDMI signal.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have many years of experience in broadcasting, a wire is a wire, either it works or it doesn't. A $50 cable carries current just as good as a $4 one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy once, cry once.

True. It is the connectors at the end of the wire that get you.

I am not saying go out and spend stupid amounts on money on overpriced Monster cables or anything. I am saying that I have had serious problems with monoprice gear in my line of work. (A/V engineer/programmer, 8 years). So much so that I don't use them personally or professionally, and I know of at least 6 large integrators that have written policies against them specifically due to quality issues.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am not saying go out and spend stupid amounts on money on overpriced Monster cables or anything. I am saying that I have had serious problems with monoprice gear in my line of work. (A/V engineer/programmer, 8 years). So much so that I don't use them personally or professionally, and I know of at least 6 large integrators that have written policies against them specifically due to quality issues.
View Quote

I've got 7 years in the industry (5 at a broadcast media company as a software engineer, and about 2 at another similar gig) and we have no issues with Monoprice cables.

At my current gig we can't use them in installs, but I think that's due to federal regs, not anything we chose to do.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:31:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've got 7 years in the industry (5 at a broadcast media company as a software engineer, and about 2 at another similar gig) and we have no issues with Monoprice cables.

At my current gig we can't use them in installs, but I think that's due to federal regs, not anything we chose to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough. We have had different experiences with them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:37:03 AM EDT
[#21]
If the DVI output on your computer is bad, then a DVI to HDMI adapter isn't going to fix anything.

You said the DVI input on the monitor is bad, but there is no way to be sure if it's the monitor or the computer that's bad unless you have either an extra monitor or computer to test with.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:41:24 AM EDT
[#22]
yep.

HDMI and DVI are the same standard.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#23]
That is exactly how I play World of Warships on the 60" TV.  HDMI port on my video card has never worked right.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:02:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is normally true. I know for a fact though that AMD does some sort of black magic on their graphics cards where you could get sound from the DVI port if you used the correct DVI->HDMI adapter to run sound over HDMI.

None of which is really relevant to OP's needs in the slightest.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:12:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Dvi-i and dvi-d depends.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:14:37 AM EDT
[#27]
How do you know its not the DVI output on your desktop ?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:36:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because I am currently using the monitor from my son's room with a DVI connector on my desktop and it works.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comprehensive and Crestron for us!  Well, we also use Blue Rigger for the ones the students steal on a regular basis.  

Anyone want a job as a Crestron programmer in South Carolina?  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If the DVI output on your computer is bad, then a DVI to HDMI adapter isn't going to fix anything.

You said the DVI input on the monitor is bad, but there is no way to be sure if it's the monitor or the computer that's bad unless you have either an extra monitor or computer to test with.
View Quote
Yeah, he needs a different DVI cable from a different DVI output (a laptop) to be sure.  It could be the computer output or the cable (unlikely, but possible.)

Otherwise, could be throwing money away...
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yeah, he needs a different DVI cable from a different DVI output (a laptop) to be sure.  It could be the computer output or the cable (unlikely, but possible.)  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is fundamental.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So my computer monitor stopped working a couple days ago.  After a bit of experimentation, I discovered that the problem was the DVI input on the monitor.  The monitor has an HDMI input (and it works with that, because I hooked it up to the HDMI out on my laptop to test it) but my desktop doesn't have an HDMI output.  A quick check on Amazon shows that there are adapters out there that will take a DVI male end and convert it to HDMI.  Anyone tried this?  Do y'all think it would work in this situation?  My alternatives are to buy a new video card with an HDMI out or buy a new monitor.  The new monitor will be slightly more expensive, but easier to implement as I am not the handiest guy around when it comes to installing hardware on a computer.
View Quote

yes it will. i have my lenovo m71e hooked to my lg tv that way.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been using one from my gaming PC to my Sony Bravia 40" tv for 2 years now, no issues at all.  I got it on Amazon.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Because I am currently using the monitor from my son's room with a DVI connector on my desktop and it works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One last thing i would do so I didn't buy something I didn't need. Try your  monitor on your  sons desktop. If it doesn't work you know 100% its the monitor.

Reason for this is I had an incident where after a windows update DVI output stopped working on over 300 workstation after a windows update. Everyone was the same brand and model of monitor. Seems the company we where doing work for approved the update without testing. They also allowed a driver update for that monitor instead of keeping one on the company image. Once the driver was deleted and the original was reloaded by rebooting they all worked again. It was only the DVI monitor too. The ones hooked up by HDMI and VGA worked fine.

It possible an update or the loaded driver became corrupted. So if one was tailored to that monitor it may not work on DVI on that computer.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

One last thing i would do so I didn't buy something I didn't need. Try your  monitor on your  sons desktop. If it doesn't work you know 100% its the monitor.

Reason for this is I had an incident where after a windows update DVI output stopped working on over 300 workstation after a windows update. Everyone was the same brand and model of monitor. Seems the company we where doing work for approved the update without testing. They also allowed a driver update for that monitor instead of keeping one on the company image. Once the driver was deleted and the original was reloaded by rebooting they all worked again. It was only the DVI monitor too. The ones hooked up by HDMI and VGA worked fine.

It possible an update or the loaded driver became corrupted. So if one was tailored to that monitor it may not work on DVI on that computer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give it a shot, thanks.  I already ordered the adapter though...it was under $5 shipped so I figured why not?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Works like a champ. It's all digital, so there's no signal conversion required. I have five or six of them going between work and home.
View Quote

Yup, I've used them tons of times, no issues at all.  It's just two diffent connectors for the same signal.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Okay, adapter came in today and it works fine.  Thanks to all for your help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top