Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Typing with your tongue?  Better have a really clean keyboard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't believe homosexuals civil union should be the the law of the land. It should be illegal if anything.

Oh and by the way. ...
Those that believe God is supernatural.
I would have to say natural has a difficult time with 'discerning' this. That's right God is spirit. The natural person will most likely not understand all his works.
Think about all His works aside from the 'gifts of the Holy Spirit'.
Comprehensible?  Do not lean on your own understanding?  This thread has gotten real funny.
Some posting here have no profession of faith to begin with and this disqualifies their comments on the things of faith. Notwithstanding those who are saved.

Blah blah.
Try reading scripture, and what exactly does it say on a subject. Mere opinions of the unbelieving taking up thread space.
God is supernatural we have yet to scratch the surface and have no idea.
So funny. Natural arguing the supernatural.

«End rant»
Is this an example of typing in tongues?    

Typing with your tongue?  Better have a really clean keyboard.

I Like this... in good humor.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yet, several others in this thread who have witnessed the same thing agree that it's total nonsense.  The girl who was "interpreting" the gibberish could have been putting on her own little show and how could anyone know the difference?

Often, the people doing the shaking and shouting the gibberish believe that their actions are being influenced by a spiritual connection thanks to the power of suggestion.  They deny that they're putting on an act because they "felt something."  In reality, they are so worked up by the dancing, singing, and the influence of their peers that they genuinely get hysterical for a bit.  It's completely possible to convince yourself that you're having a spiritual moment.  Most cases of "demonic possession" are due to this phenomenon.  Notice that nearly all people who are "possessed" happen to be religious...

It comes down to this: if you really want it to be true, you'll believe in it.  If you look at it objectively, you realize that there are other factors at play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't believe homosexuals civil union should be the the law of the land. It should be illegal if anything.

Oh and by the way. ...
I would have to say natural has a difficult time with 'discerning' this. That's right God is spirit. The natural person will most likely not understand all his works.
Comprehensible?  Do not lean on your own understanding?  This thread has gotten real funny.
Some posting here have no profession of faith to begin with and this disqualifies their comments on the things of faith. Notwithstanding those who are saved.

Blah blah.
Try reading scripture, and what exactly does it say on a subject. Mere opinions of the unbelieving taking up thread space.

«End rant»

So an atheist can't say "that's not a language" or "according to scripture, Jesus wasn't a purple aardvark".

Your God wants you to be able to discern false religion from true. It's in your book. You were warned about fake Christians, weren't you?

Believe what you want to believe, but growing up in church, I've witnessed it many times.  It has never once struck me as being faked.  In fact, I once saw a girl who was about 12 years old stand up and interpret what somebody else was saying for about 10 minutes.  After seeing that, you'll have a hard time convincing me that it's all some elaborate ruse. There were no cameras present, and no reason at all to fake anything.

I've struggled my whole life with God, morality, religion and Christianity, but I have little doubt that it is in fact very real.  

Yet, several others in this thread who have witnessed the same thing agree that it's total nonsense.  The girl who was "interpreting" the gibberish could have been putting on her own little show and how could anyone know the difference?

Often, the people doing the shaking and shouting the gibberish believe that their actions are being influenced by a spiritual connection thanks to the power of suggestion.  They deny that they're putting on an act because they "felt something."  In reality, they are so worked up by the dancing, singing, and the influence of their peers that they genuinely get hysterical for a bit.  It's completely possible to convince yourself that you're having a spiritual moment.  Most cases of "demonic possession" are due to this phenomenon.  Notice that nearly all people who are "possessed" happen to be religious...

It comes down to this: if you really want it to be true, you'll believe in it.  If you look at it objectively, you realize that there are other factors at play.

The 'demonic', interesting subject and is mentioned in the Bible. Possession means ownership. Those under the influence of the demonic/satan are most likely oppressed/deceived and not 'possessed'. This is another topic.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That sounds like good practice, and it is according to the instructions of St. Paul.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The church I am a member of teaches that in order to speak in tongues there has to be like a translator, or somebody that understands clearly what is being spoken.    

Modern examples are often given of young missionaries fresh out in a foreign country and they really dont know the language.  Somebody will ask them a question perhaps and they then can answer that question or bear their testimony in a foreign language fluently, often they dont even realize they did it, they feel like they were speeking in english.

So I guess you could say that my church teaches that speaking random words and sounds to a room full of people that dont understand what is being said is not speaking in tongues, at least not Gods version.

That sounds like good practice, and it is according to the instructions of St. Paul.

You know you just agreed with and supported the Mormon view of speaking in tongues, right?

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No, you are disqualified. Why would an Atheist or other unbeliever comment on what they do not believe or understand? They intellectualize their understanding on things of faith, these things are heart matters. Not, 'I'm intellectually smart enough to figure out all the mysteries of everything'. Do they see God? Of course you don't but you can see yourself in the mirror, thus where your trust is. Self. They trust Themselves most, do you.? I guarantee it.

eta; spelling
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and by the way. ...

Blah blah.

«End rant»

So an atheist can't say "that's not a language" or "according to scripture, Jesus wasn't a purple aardvark".

Your God wants you to be able to discern false religion from true. It's in your book. You were warned about fake Christians, weren't you?

No, you are disqualified. Why would an Atheist or other unbeliever comment on what they do not believe or understand? They intellectualize their understanding on things of faith, these things are heart matters. Not, 'I'm intellectually smart enough to figure out all the mysteries of everything'. Do they see God? Of course you don't but you can see yourself in the mirror, thus where your trust is. Self. They trust Themselves most, do you.? I guarantee it.

eta; spelling

Jesus was not a purple aardvark. I'm sorry if that comes from my intellect and interpretation of the Bible and not my feels, but it's still the correct opinion.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My understanding is that one speaking in tongues may be understood by anyone, regardless of the languages they know.  Therefore, I could speak in tongues, and a person who speaks only French, and a person who speaks only Russian, would both understand me.

In the Biblical account, it wasn't the speakers that were being called drunks, it was the witnesses who were giving their accounts of the miracle.

People who think babbling a bunch of gibberish is speaking in tongues are no worse than college kids writing emo crap and calling it poetry.  Misguided silliness, even when it's sincere.

Hahahaha....just occurred to me...start gibbering along with them, then out of the blue swap to English and make some mighty pronouncements, and insist you never stopped "speaking in tongues."
View Quote

That's not how it was in the bible though, was it? I thought it was foreigners who understood their own language in the mouths of testifying locals?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Believe what you want to believe, but growing up in church, I've witnessed it many times.  It has never once struck me as being faked.  In fact, I once saw a girl who was about 12 years old stand up and interpret what somebody else was saying for about 10 minutes.  After seeing that, you'll have a hard time convincing me that it's all some elaborate ruse. There were no cameras present, and no reason at all to fake anything.

I've struggled my whole life with God, morality, religion and Christianity, but I have little doubt that it is in fact very real.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and by the way. ...

Blah blah.

«End rant»

It would be really cool to see that and to be able to believe it. I would have to tape it and give it to linguists though, because it would be the first time I'd heard tongues that were actually tongues like in the bible and not faked language.

Are you a polyglot? Do you have much linguistic experience? Because for some folks, after studying languages and learning about language itself, no foreign language sounds like gibberish anymore. Even completely unknown languages sound like proper speech. I wonder if the folks who accept faked gibberish for tongues are monoglots who simply are not be able to tell the difference between foreign and gobbledegook?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Speaking in Tongues is in the New Testament.  If Christians are afraid of parts of The Bible, it's understandable, but not respectable.
View Quote

The question is: is this the speaking in tongues of the bible or is it a false speaking in tongues? Isn't that important to know?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The question is: is this the speaking in tongues of the bible or is it a false speaking in tongues? Isn't that important to know?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speaking in Tongues is in the New Testament.  If Christians are afraid of parts of The Bible, it's understandable, but not respectable.

It's also important to know why atheists and persons hostile to God (you said God was a tryant, right?  And you'd never believe in Him) why people like that would come swarming into a thread about speaking in tongues and claim that it was un-biblical and/or demonically inspired.

It's a VERY interesting dynamic.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's also important to know why atheists and persons hostile to God (you said God was a tryant, right?  And you'd never believe in Him) why people like that would come swarming into a thread about speaking in tongues and claim that it was un-biblical and/or demonically inspired.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's more interesting is why you're threatened enough to address it, rather than addressing the topic at hand: modern day, so called, speaking in tongues.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hello, fallacies of logic. You could just answer her argument instead of personally attacking her. That's the reasonable path.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's more interesting is your defensiveness.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Jesus was not a purple aardvark. I'm sorry if that comes from my intellect and interpretation of the Bible and not my feels, but it's still the correct opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and by the way. ...

Blah blah.

«End rant»

eta; spelling

As in water face reflects face,
So a man’s heart reveals the man.
Prov 27:19

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and by the way. ...

Blah blah.

«End rant»

eta; spelling

"I feel it is so, therefore it must be so."? Seriously? You're making that argument with a straight face?

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"I feel it is so, therefore it must be so."? Seriously? You're making that argument with a straight face?

View Quote

Be fair now...you can't see his face.  He might be laughing his ass off right now...
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Faith is not feeling, it is believing.

1 Timothy 1:4-6 New King James Version (NKJV)

4 nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith. 5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith, 6 from which some, having strayed, have turned aside to idle talk,

Matthew 5:8 New King James Version (NKJV)

8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
   For they shall see God.

Bishop3

heart matters
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

4 nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith. 5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith, 6 from which some, having strayed, have turned aside to idle talk,

For they shall see God.

Bishop3

heart matters
View Quote

The heart is an organ that pumps blood.  You believe things with your brain.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The heart is an organ that pumps blood.  You believe think things with your brain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For they shall see God.

Bishop3

heart matters

The heart is an organ that pumps blood.  You believe think things with your brain.

Romans 10:9-11 New Living Translation (NLT)

9 If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by openly declaring your faith that you are saved.

Ephesians 4:17-19 New Living Translation (NLT)

17 With the Lord’s authority I say this: Live no longer as the Gentiles do, for they are hopelessly confused. 18 Their minds are full of darkness; they wander far from the life God gives because they have closed their minds and hardened their hearts against him. 19 They have no sense of shame. They live for lustful pleasure and eagerly practice every kind of impurity.

Heart matters
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#18]
So if I believe in my heart that something is so, and I believe it's the lord who tells me it's so, then it must be so?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So if I believe in my heart that something is so, and I believe it's the lord who tells me it's so, then it must be so?
View Quote

Romans 8:24 New King James Version (NKJV)

24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees?

Hebrews 11:1 New King James Version (NKJV)

By Faith We Understand

11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

John 20:29 New King James Version (NKJV)

29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas,[a] because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Do you believe?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees?

By Faith We Understand

11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas,[a] because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Do you believe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Faith We Understand

Do you believe?

I have a pretty solid background in this and I'm really having trouble seeing where you actually addressed her question.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

By Faith We Understand

Do you believe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Faith We Understand

Do you believe?

If I truly believed that Jesus had been a purple aardvark, and I was a Christian, then Jesus would have to be a purple aardvark. I think that's what you're telling me.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have a pretty solid background in this and I'm really having trouble seeing where you actually addressed her question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Faith We Understand

Do you believe?

Gabriel, when the walls fell.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Faith We Understand

Do you believe?

The question was about BigeasySnows faith.

Hebrews 11:3New King James Version (NKJV)

3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

faith is of the heart
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

faith is of the heart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Faith We Understand

Do you believe?

faith is of the heart

No, it wasn't. It was about how truth may be discerned.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Faith We Understand

Do you believe?

faith is of the heart

John 18:36-38New King James Version (NKJV)

36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews; but now My kingdom is not from here.”

37 Pilate therefore said to Him, “Are You a king then?”

Jesus answered, “You say rightly that I am a king. For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.”

38 Pilate said to Him, “What is truth?” And when he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, “I find no fault in Him at all.

Truth ~ faith is of the heart

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Great idea, why don't these people who are condemning Speaking in Tongues go experience it and condemn it face to face?
View Quote

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#27]
My mom went through a born again faze and spoke in tongues all the time. It was pretty freaky to a couple pre teen boys that and her casting out demons in the house. It was awesome friends and girlfriends came over
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Faith We Understand

Do you believe?

Thank you for pointing this out, there was very important person(s) saved there (Jericho), a prostitute.

Hebrews 11
30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they were encircled for seven days. 31 By faith the harlot Rahab did not perish with those who did not believe, when she had received the spies with peace.

The harlot, Rahab is in the lineage of Christ. Rahab perished not with them that believed not.

here
Matthew

1 The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham:

2 Abraham begot Isaac, Isaac begot Jacob, and Jacob begot Judah and his brothers. 3 Judah begot Perez and Zerah by Tamar, Perez begot Hezron, and Hezron begot Ram. 4 Ram begot Amminadab, Amminadab begot Nahshon, and Nahshon begot Salmon. 5 Salmon begot Boaz by Rahab ...

16 And Jacob begot Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus who is called Christ.

17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations, from David until the captivity in Babylon are fourteen generations, and from the captivity in Babylon until the Christ are fourteen generations.

The promise is here: Genesis 3:15 <important>

Also, I surmise that you believe in none other than an angel, named Gabriel who announced the birth of Messiah.

here in Luke
Christ’s Birth Announced to Mary
26 Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 And having come in, the angel said to her, “Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!”[c]

29 But when she saw him,[d] she was troubled at his saying, and considered what manner of greeting this was. 30 Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus. 32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. 33 And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.”

Yes, judgment (God's perfect justice) must have come to Jericho.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

9 If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by openly declaring your faith that you are saved.

17 With the Lord’s authority I say this: Live no longer as the Gentiles do, for they are hopelessly confused. 18 Their minds are full of darkness; they wander far from the life God gives because they have closed their minds and hardened their hearts against him. 19 They have no sense of shame. They live for lustful pleasure and eagerly practice every kind of impurity.

Heart matters
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For they shall see God.

Bishop3

heart matters

Heart matters

No, the heart is an organ that pumps blood.  You believe things with your brain.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews; but now My kingdom is not from here.”

Jesus answered, “You say rightly that I am a king. For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.”

38 Pilate said to Him, “What is truth?” And when he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, “I find no fault in Him at all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Faith We Understand

Do you believe?

faith is of the heart

Well, isn't that convenient.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thank you for pointing this out, there was very important person(s) saved there (Jericho), a prostitute.

Hebrews 11
30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they were encircled for seven days. 31 By faith the harlot Rahab did not perish with those who did not believe, when she had received the spies with peace.

The harlot, Rahab is in the lineage of Christ. Rahab perished not with them that believed not.

here
Matthew

1 The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham:

2 Abraham begot Isaac, Isaac begot Jacob, and Jacob begot Judah and his brothers. 3 Judah begot Perez and Zerah by Tamar, Perez begot Hezron, and Hezron begot Ram. 4 Ram begot Amminadab, Amminadab begot Nahshon, and Nahshon begot Salmon. 5 Salmon begot Boaz by Rahab ...

16 And Jacob begot Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus who is called Christ.

17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations, from David until the captivity in Babylon are fourteen generations, and from the captivity in Babylon until the Christ are fourteen generations.

Also, I surmise that you believe in none other than an angel, named Gabriel who announced the birth of Messiah.

here in Luke
26 Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 And having come in, the angel said to her, “Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!”[c]

29 But when she saw him,[d] she was troubled at his saying, and considered what manner of greeting this was. 30 Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus. 32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. 33 And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.”

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By Faith We Understand

Do you believe?

Hebrews 11

here
Matthew

here in Luke

I was drawing a comparison between your unusual communication style and a fictional character that communicated exclusively through idioms based on parables.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank you

adding your quote to my sig line, thanks.

I was drawing a comparison between your unusual communication style and a fictional character that communicated exclusively through idioms based on parables.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thank you

View Quote

From this :

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No, the heart is an organ that pumps blood.  You believe things with your brain.
View Quote

His point was actually far more profound than you realize.

Pretty much any Christian would disagree with the statement that God abides in their head.

ETA:  I'd guess that atheism DOES abide in the head, though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you

From this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-wzr74d7TI

Hilarious, thank you. I'm all in for good humor.

on topic now

here is scriptures from the Bible on the topic of speaking in tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:21-25 New King James Version (NKJV)

21 In the law it is written:

“With men of other tongues and other lips
I will speak to this people;
And yet, for all that, they will not hear Me,”[a]
says the Lord.

22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe. 23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all. 25 And thus[b] the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:30:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

on topic now

says the Lord.

22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe. 23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all. 25 And thus[b] the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you

From this :

on topic now

says the Lord.

I think it makes more sense in context:

13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer,[d] say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? 17 You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

20 Brothers and sisters, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults. 21 In the Law it is written:

“With other tongues
   and through the lips of foreigners
I will speak to this people,
   but even then they will not listen to me,
says the Lord.”[e]

22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is not for unbelievers but for believers. 23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all, 25 as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”

Good Order in Worship

26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

I wonder if this passage means that the folks in the hospital room should not have spoken in tongues (if they had actually been speaking in tongues rather than just pretending)?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I wonder if this passage means that the folks in the hospital room should not have spoken in tongues (if they had actually been speaking in tongues rather than just pretending)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you

From this :

on topic now

says the Lord.

13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer,[d] say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? 17 You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

20 Brothers and sisters, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults. 21 In the Law it is written:

“With other tongues
says the Lord.”[e]

22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is not for unbelievers but for believers. 23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all, 25 as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”

Good Order in Worship

26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

They were praying to God.

God understood what they were saying.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you

From this :

on topic now

says the Lord.

“With other tongues
says the Lord.”[e]

Good Order in Worship

I don't know, BigeasySnow

Thank you for adding the other scriptures though.
there are more passages in several other Books of the Book on this topic.

I see where speaking in tongues is like self-edification and where prophecy edifies the church.

Prophesying too.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm sure they would if I asked, but that would be even weirder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No need to freak out, see if they'll pray for you too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I'm sure they would if I asked, but that would be even weirder.

Ill take a prayer please. No ice.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#41]
If the pea green soup starts flying along with references to mothers and hell just back out the door and tell them you need to go check some temperatures.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If the pea green soup starts flying along with references to mothers and hell just back out the door and tell them you need to go check some temperatures.
View Quote

You are confused.

You are referencing a 1970's Hollywood movie about Exorcism.  

This is a thread about praying in tongues.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You are confused.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are confused.

Also known as exenoglossy or glosia.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#44]
here it is...

Prophecy and tongues

1 Corinthians 14 New King James Version (NKJV)

14 Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.

I believe this word explains it all, the misunderstandings about this gift (tongues).

only read 1 Corinthians 13

Everything else goes away except Love. Love is the greatest gift.

1 Corinthians 13 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Greatest Gift
13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
here it is...

Prophecy and tongues

14 Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.

I believe this word explains it all, the misunderstandings about this gift (tongues).

The Greatest Gift
13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
View Quote

There are many gifts of the Holy Spirit, and it is true that tongues is not that big a deal.

What is also true is that every Christian should ask to receive the Gifts, whatever Gifts the Holy Spirit chooses to impart at any given time.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

There are many gifts of the Holy Spirit, and it is true that tongues is not that big a deal.

What is also true is that every Christian should ask to receive the Gifts, whatever Gifts the Holy Spirit chooses to impart at any given time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
here it is...

Prophecy and tongues

The Greatest Gift

Yes. I hear ya.
'I'm desiring' (liking me some gifts of the Holy Spirit).
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:49:33 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Pretty much any Christian would disagree with the statement that God abides in their head.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a great joke to be made here about Christians not using their heads...
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:21:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, there will be some Christians who will use their heads. Only not like what your alluding to.
rev.20.4.nkjv

And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I  saw  the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

The heart really matters when you believe with all of it
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:38:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes, there will be some Christians who will use their heads. Only not like what your alluding to.
rev.20.4.nkjv

And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I  saw  the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

rev.20.4.nkjv

If you had a heart transplant, would you no longer have the faith/belief you had before?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#50]
When I was 14 my folks went out of town, stayed Saturday night with 9th grade friend and his family, Sunday morning we went to their church...  I thought it was odd that the church service was held in the meeting room of an oil field services outfit, maybe 100 chairs and drilling diagrams on the walls.  We were lackluster Lutherans 3-4 times a year in my family, so this was very different to me.  There was a sermon on snakes, the "dragon", how alcohol was the devils blood, wicked paths, etc...  My young ears were taking this all in, then suddenly during the middle of the service a woman seated right next to me stood up and began jerking/gyrating/waving her hands around and shouting in a foreign language(or so I thought)  and then others around the room started doing the same!  I couldn't get low enough in my seat and I was totally freaked out, like a zombie movie for 14year old.  Told my folks about it and they laughed their asses off.  I never spent another Saturday night with them afraid I would have to go their church service on Sunday morning.

Hking
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top