BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I guarantee you those people, probably Pentacosts, had no idea what they were saying when they were speaking in tongues.

How can you possible communicate with God that way? What about reading God's word and prayer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a bunch of jibberish

OK.  How does the Holy Spirit manifest itself in your life, and/or in your Church?  

Or does it?

I guarantee you those people, probably Pentacosts, had no idea what they were saying when they were speaking in tongues.

How can you possible communicate with God that way? What about reading God's word and prayer?

You didn't answer my question.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The Holy Ghost's presence often freaks out those who are not in Him
View Quote

No, crazy fucking people freak me out.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Holy Ghost's presence often freaks out those who are not in Him

You are a practicing sadomasochist, right?  You have the hat and everything?  Or do I have you confused with someone else?

ETA:  It is interesting who is popping into this thread, trying to establish what is "truth".

I have to go to work.

Peace be with you all.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The church I am a member of teaches that in order to speak in tongues there has to be like a translator, or somebody that understands clearly what is being spoken.    

Modern examples are often given of young missionaries fresh out in a foreign country and they really dont know the language.  Somebody will ask them a question perhaps and they then can answer that question or bear their testimony in a foreign language fluently, often they dont even realize they did it, they feel like they were speeking in english.

So I guess you could say that my church teaches that speaking random words and sounds to a room full of people that dont understand what is being said is not speaking in tongues, at least not Gods version.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The church I am a member of teaches that in order to speak in tongues there has to be like a translator, or somebody that understands clearly what is being spoken.    

Modern examples are often given of young missionaries fresh out in a foreign country and they really dont know the language.  Somebody will ask them a question perhaps and they then can answer that question or bear their testimony in a foreign language fluently, often they dont even realize they did it, they feel like they were speeking in english.

So I guess you could say that my church teaches that speaking random words and sounds to a room full of people that dont understand what is being said is not speaking in tongues, at least not Gods version.
View Quote

That sounds like good practice, and it is according to the instructions of St. Paul.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Really?  Laying hands on people to pray for their healing "gives religion a bad name"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gives religion a bad name.  Faith healing, snake handling, etc.

Really?  Laying hands on people to pray for their healing "gives religion a bad name"?

Doing this instead of getting them actual medical treatment?

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Because it's bullshit.  They're just babbling, making it up as they go along.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Honestly, what in the heck!? Does any other language "Freak" you out sweetheart? If you are not of their belief then why worry about it? It doesn't affect you. Wanna get rid of Confederate flags too?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You need to repent and let Jesus into your life. Only through him will you be saved. He is the light and the way. Do not let demons posses you, and in your arrogance assume it is the Holy Spirit's will. It is folly and sin. You need to stop being the messenger of satan's servants. Give yourself to the lord.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speaking in tongues is a surefire sign of evil, demonic possession; only made possible by weak-minded Christians led to the darkness by falsities taught in a cult.

Question: "What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?"

Answer:  The concept of “blasphemy against the Spirit” is mentioned in Mark 3:22-30 and Matthew 12:22-32. The term blasphemy may be generally defined as “defiant irreverence.” The term can be applied to such sins as cursing God or willfully degrading things relating to God. It is also attributing some evil to God, or denying Him some good that we should attribute to Him. This case of blasphemy, however, is a specific one, called “the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” in Matthew 12:31. In Matthew 12:31-32, the Pharisees, having witnessed irrefutable proof that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, claimed instead that the Lord was possessed by the demon “Beelzebub” (Matthew 12:24). Now notice that in Mark 3:30 Jesus is very specific about what they did to commit “blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.”

You need to repent and let Jesus into your life. Only through him will you be saved. He is the light and the way. Do not let demons posses you, and in your arrogance assume it is the Holy Spirit's will. It is folly and sin. You need to stop being the messenger of satan's servants. Give yourself to the lord.

Not sure if serious.

Has this approach ever actually worked to convert anyone?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a friend who was a hood in high school, his brother died a few years ago so he became a minister, he supposedly speaks in tongues during his service, it would be weird, unsettling stuff.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thank you so much for trying to steer us straight--even though you yourself deny the divinity of Christ.  (lol).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
People in the Bible who "spoke in tongues" were supposed to be speaking actual languages that were understood by others in the crowds that spoke those languages.  They weren't speaking some "heavenly language" that sounds a lot like gibberish.  The miracle was said to be that people who didn't know these foreign languages were speaking them fluently.  
Bingo.

From linguistic studies, the structure of the "language" of the "speaking in tongues" crowd does not resemble a language, rather, linguistically it seems exactly like nonsensical sounds thrown together.

Doesn't disprove their religion, but it does disprove the fact that the individual people doing it are experiencing anything close to what was described in the bible.

Don't believe me? Take it from a christian website then: http://bible-truth.org/TonguesWhatisGoingOn.html

Thank you so much for trying to steer us straight--even though you yourself deny the divinity of Christ.  (lol).

If a Christian declares Jesus to be a purple aardvark, and an atheist says "no, they say he is the son of God and was born to a human woman", is the atheist automatically wrong?

Can you, as a Christian, not read other religions' scriptures and discern whether a thing is Muslim or Jewish or simply invented folly with no scriptural or scientific support?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Too mean?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Honestly, what in the heck!? Does any other language "Freak" you out sweetheart? If you are not of their belief then why worry about it? It doesn't affect you. Wanna get rid of Confederate flags too?
View Quote

If it were actual languages, the linguists would be all over it, piecing together lost knowledge of the ancient and/or obscure languages. It's gibberish.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#14]
OP if the scene turns into anything resembling anything like this. Haul Ass outta there.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't believe homosexuals civil union should be the the law of the land. It should be illegal if anything.

Oh and by the way. ...
Those that believe God is supernatural.
I would have to say natural has a difficult time with 'discerning' this. That's right God is spirit. The natural person will most likely not understand all his works.
Think about all His works aside from the 'gifts of the Holy Spirit'.
Comprehensible?  Do not lean on your own understanding?  This thread has gotten real funny.
Some posting here have no profession of faith to begin with and this disqualifies their comments on the things of faith. Notwithstanding those who are saved.

Blah blah.
Try reading scripture, and what exactly does it say on a subject. Mere opinions of the unbelieving taking up thread space.
God is supernatural we have yet to scratch the surface and have no idea.
So funny. Natural arguing the supernatural.

«End rant»
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If it were actual languages, the linguists would be all over it, piecing together lost knowledge of the ancient and/or obscure languages. It's gibberish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Great idea, why don't these people who are condemning Speaking in Tongues go experience it and condemn it face to face?

View Quote

I did, but didn't "condemn" it as you infer. Visited a Pentecostal church with a friend, witnessed it first hand. As well as the physical signs of the holy spirit entering the body and causing them to shake, rattle and roll.

Told the Pastor I believed it was nothing more than gibberish and good acting. Also said I believe my faith is no more "correct" than theirs but I prefer it since I'm not expected to put on a show aside from accepting communion and pretending the wine and bread chip tastes good.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't believe homosexuals civil union should be the the law of the land. It should be illegal if anything.

Oh and by the way. ...
I would have to say natural has a difficult time with 'discerning' this. That's right God is spirit. The natural person will most likely not understand all his works.
Comprehensible?  Do not lean on your own understanding?  This thread has gotten real funny.
Some posting here have no profession of faith to begin with and this disqualifies their comments on the things of faith. Notwithstanding those who are saved.

Blah blah.
Try reading scripture, and what exactly does it say on a subject. Mere opinions of the unbelieving taking up thread space.

«End rant»
View Quote

So an atheist can't say "that's not a language" or "according to scripture, Jesus wasn't a purple aardvark".

Your God wants you to be able to discern false religion from true. It's in your book. You were warned about fake Christians, weren't you?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So an atheist can't say "that's not a language" or "according to scripture, Jesus wasn't a purple aardvark".

Your God wants you to be able to discern false religion from true. It's in your book. You were warned about fake Christians, weren't you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and by the way. ...

Blah blah.

«End rant»

No, you are disqualified. Why would an Atheist or other unbeliever comment on what they do not believe or understand? They intellectualize their understanding on things of faith, these things are heart matters. Not, 'I'm intellectually smart enough to figure out all the mysteries of everything'. Do they see God? Of course you don't but you can see yourself in the mirror, thus where your trust is. Self. They trust Themselves most, do you.? I guarantee it.

eta; spelling
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I attended a Church Of God from 1987 to 1990 . I was brought up a Baptist,but started attending this church because my gf at the time did. I knew it would be different and knew that Pentecostle churches spoke in tongues.I've never been happier and felt more welcome than at that church. I was happier then than anytime I can remember.I may have to go find another one now.Could GD have lead me back to church? Mysterious ways.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ask them how they learned to speak in tongues? When they answer they prayed for it, ask them where in the Bible it tells them to do this? I'm a Christian and I dont believe in it and think they are just putting on an act.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a Christian and they freak me out too

Ask them how they learned to speak in tongues? When they answer they prayed for it, ask them where in the Bible it tells them to do this? I'm a Christian and I dont believe in it and think they are just putting on an act.

Ditto... it's one of the more annoying things that charismatics do.  I've felt the Lord's presence one time in my life... and it had jack shit to do with singing, dancing, speaking in tongues, falling to the floor like one has been poleaxed, or going to church.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Shit I wanted you to record it. I wonder what it sounds like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And they're done.  

They don't seem tired from it.  I would be tired if I had done it.

Shit I wanted you to record it. I wonder what it sounds like.

Go stick your finger in a 220 socket, you'll make similar noises.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ditto... it's one of the more annoying things that charismatics do.  I've felt the Lord's presence one time in my life... and it had jack shit to do with singing, dancing, speaking in tongues, or going to church.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a Christian and they freak me out too

Ditto... it's one of the more annoying things that charismatics do.  I've felt the Lord's presence one time in my life... and it had jack shit to do with singing, dancing, speaking in tongues, or going to church.

i hear ya.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

As someone who was raised in an evangelical household, brought up in an evangelical church, and educated at an evangelical private school, you would be correct.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#26]
My understanding is that one speaking in tongues may be understood by anyone, regardless of the languages they know.  Therefore, I could speak in tongues, and a person who speaks only French, and a person who speaks only Russian, would both understand me.

In the Biblical account, it wasn't the speakers that were being called drunks, it was the witnesses who were giving their accounts of the miracle.

People who think babbling a bunch of gibberish is speaking in tongues are no worse than college kids writing emo crap and calling it poetry.  Misguided silliness, even when it's sincere.

Hahahaha....just occurred to me...start gibbering along with them, then out of the blue swap to English and make some mighty pronouncements, and insist you never stopped "speaking in tongues."
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
As someone who was raised in an evangelical household, brought up in an evangelical church, and educated at an evangelical private school, you would be correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As someone who was raised in an evangelical church, household, school AND did almost 2 years at a Teen Challenge...I also agree.

Speed
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Snow Crash?
View Quote

This man knows!  you've all been infected!
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#29]
The preferred term is Shiite Protestant.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

edgy.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and by the way. ...

Blah blah.

«End rant»

Believe what you want to believe, but growing up in church, I've witnessed it many times.  It has never once struck me as being faked.  In fact, I once saw a girl who was about 12 years old stand up and interpret what somebody else was saying for about 10 minutes.  After seeing that, you'll have a hard time convincing me that it's all some elaborate ruse. There were no cameras present, and no reason at all to fake anything.

I've struggled my whole life with God, morality, religion and Christianity, but I have little doubt that it is in fact very real.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Believe what you want to believe, but growing up in church, I've witnessed it many times.  It has never once struck me as being faked.  In fact, I once saw a girl who was about 12 years old stand up and interpret what somebody else was saying for about 10 minutes.  After seeing that, you'll have a hard time convincing me that it's all some elaborate ruse. There were no cameras present, and no reason at all to fake anything.

I've struggled my whole life with God, morality, religion and Christianity, but I have little doubt that it is in fact very real.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh and by the way. ...

Blah blah.

«End rant»

Yet, several others in this thread who have witnessed the same thing agree that it's total nonsense.  The girl who was "interpreting" the gibberish could have been putting on her own little show and how could anyone know the difference?

Often, the people doing the shaking and shouting the gibberish believe that their actions are being influenced by a spiritual connection thanks to the power of suggestion.  They deny that they're putting on an act because they "felt something."  In reality, they are so worked up by the dancing, singing, and the influence of their peers that they genuinely get hysterical for a bit.  It's completely possible to convince yourself that you're having a spiritual moment.  Most cases of "demonic possession" are due to this phenomenon.  Notice that nearly all people who are "possessed" happen to be religious...

It comes down to this: if you really want it to be true, you'll believe in it.  If you look at it objectively, you realize that there are other factors at play.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

OK.  How does the Holy Spirit manifest itself in your life, and/or in your Church?  

Or does it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a bunch of jibberish

Or does it?

That's not the point.  The whole "speaking in tongues" referred to the disciples speaking the word of God to groups of people, and those who didn't understand Aramaic understood it in their own language; Greek, Latin, whatever.  It was God reaching the most people possible, removing the doubt raised by listening to a sermon through translators.

A couple of people babbling while shaking their bible is biblical literalists thinking (or showing everyone watching) that they are manifesting the Holy Spirit by mouthing gibberish.  "I speak in tongues, so I know the Lord is with me".   No.  "Speaking in tongues" would be witnessing to a group of immigrants in English, and they hear your message in Spanish, Arabic, Somali, etc. so they understand it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I heard that stuff in person one time.

weirdness.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Went to a Southern Baptist Church as a child (parents made me) where this was common. Ask me why I don't got to church now?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yet, several others in this thread who have witnessed the same thing agree that it's total nonsense.  The girl who was "interpreting" the gibberish could have been putting on her own little show and how could anyone know the difference?

Often, the people doing the shaking and shouting the gibberish believe that their actions are being influenced by a spiritual connection thanks to the power of suggestion.  They deny that they're putting on an act because they "felt something."  In reality, they are so worked up by the dancing, singing, and the influence of their peers that they genuinely get hysterical for a bit.  It's completely possible to convince yourself that you're having a spiritual moment.  Most cases of "demonic possession" are due to this phenomenon.  Notice that nearly all people who are "possessed" happen to be religious...

It comes down to this: if you really want it to be true, you'll believe in it.  If you look at it objectively, you realize that there are other factors at play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and by the way. ...

Blah blah.

«End rant»

This girl was about 12 years old and in my Sunday school class.  I don't believe for a second she was putting on a show, nor was it rehearsed, it was quite frankly beyond the ability of any normal 12 year old.  Like you said, people believe or not believe what they want.  But I know what I saw, and being an honest person, it's pretty hard for me to deny that it's anything but real.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Speaking in Tongues is in the New Testament.  If Christians are afraid of parts of The Bible, it's understandable, but not respectable.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This girl was about 12 years old and in my Sunday school class.  I don't believe for a second she was putting on a show, nor was it rehearsed, it was quite frankly beyond the ability of any normal 12 year old.  Like you said, people believe or not believe what they want.  But I know what I saw, and being an honest person, it's pretty hard for me to deny that it's anything but real.

View Quote

It's excited delirium. People do amazing things whey they get in a frenzy like that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I just want to clarify:  Do you know what static electricity is?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen people converse in tongues while the Holy Ghost was in them.
I've also seen blue lightning flash from the hand of someone speaking in tongues as they laid hands on another in prayer.
Because you do not understand it or have never experienced it does not mean it doesn't happen or does not exist.
Is some of it hysterical religion?
Probably but many times it is the power of the Holy Spirit being manifested in those who pray and the need for it is there.
I have never personally experienced speaking in tongues but I will not condemn as fake those that have or will

OMG I missed this.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#40]
So all this time Yosemite Sam had the Holy Spirit in him!

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
As someone who was raised in an evangelical church, household, school AND did almost 2 years at a Teen Challenge...I also agree.    

Speed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

In before you're labled blasphemers
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I grew up around it.

You get used to the nuttiness of it, after a while.

To each his own.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Oh and by the way. ...

Blah blah.

«End rant»
View Quote
Is this an example of typing in tongues?  

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and by the way. ...

Blah blah.

«End rant»

Typing with your tongue?  Better have a really clean keyboard.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#45]
+1

Quoted:
People in the Bible who "spoke in tongues" were supposed to be speaking actual languages that were understood by others in the crowds that spoke those languages.  They weren't speaking some "heavenly language" that sounds a lot like gibberish.  The miracle was said to be that people who didn't know these foreign languages were speaking them fluently.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

edgy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

edgy.

Accurate.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
OMG I missed this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've seen people converse in tongues while the Holy Ghost was in them.

I've also seen blue lightning flash from the hand of someone speaking in tongues as they laid hands on another in prayer.

Because you do not understand it or have never experienced it does not mean it doesn't happen or does not exist.

Is some of it hysterical religion?

Probably but many times it is the power of the Holy Spirit being manifested in those who pray and the need for it is there.

I have never personally experienced speaking in tongues but I will not condemn as fake those that have or will

OMG I missed this.

Dang shag carpets.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's excited delirium. People do amazing things whey they get in a frenzy like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never saw any frenzy, no shouting, no jumping around or profuse sweating.  Just people speaking in tongues and then a girl from my Sunday school class stood up and interpreted it.      
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This was spoken like a true christian.

Ever realize that if it IS real, you just committed blasphemy of the Holy Ghost? Something you will get eternity to think about, maybe this exact post?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speaking in tongues is BS anyone who is a Christian and has studied the bible knows speaking in tongues was only something that was real before Jesus.  People who believe in it are just weird and have not real understanding of of the New Testament.  Everyone I have met who believe in it belong to cultish like church.  Yeah speaking in tongues SHOULD freak you the fuck out.

This was spoken like a true christian.

Ever realize that if it IS real, you just committed blasphemy of the Holy Ghost? Something you will get eternity to think about, maybe this exact post?

That is not blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

He is wrong, though, in that it occurred after Jesus ascended and the Holy Spirit came upon various Christians. That said, what people do today is not speaking in tongues--it's just people being weird.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#50]
These threads always remind me of this

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top